Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12980 of 52786, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The filthy beige PC looks like it has a higher end motherboard in it based on the yellow colored PCI slots. If you're just going to toss it and the "junk" I'll make you an offer for it 🤣 no vintage electronics should ever be trashed as thats the mentality that has led to the current state of affairs regarding rarity. Also if thats a 16 or 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo its actually worth a bit as is the Dreamcast (Somewhat rare console)

I can pull it if you really want it; I think it's a socket 754 AGP board and was pretty grimy. I have tons of that kind of stuff, most of it's in much better condition. I'm going to make a big motherboard/expansion card sell-off thread on VCF as soon as I get some time.

My camera uses MS Pro Duos but 32MB holds like 12 photos. Is that the max size a PSP can handle? One of them is pretty corroded but the other works fine.

I'm keeping the Dreamcast - it's probably my favorite console. I have a good working one that I don't want to mod so this one will be my experiment subject. I have a keyboard & mouse so I'm going to see if I can fit an IDE HDD, SD card reader & VGA out and make it into a little PC. 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12981 of 52786, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

My camera uses MS Pro Duos but 32MB holds like 12 photos. Is that the max size a PSP can handle? One of them is pretty corroded but the other works fine.

32MB ones are tiny. The PSP can take microSD cards in dual card adapters up to very large sizes (I run two 32GB cards in mine). I've heard of people putting two 64GB cards in those adapters and they work.

Reply 12982 of 52786, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexter311 wrote:
xjas wrote:

32MB ones are tiny. The PSP can take microSD cards in dual card adapters up to very large sizes (I run two 32GB cards in mine). I've heard of people putting two 64GB cards in those adapters and they work.

Ah, I read "MB" by accident in Abandonwareguy's post. Yes they are 32 megabyte cards. Probably rare but not in a good way. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12983 of 52786, by dustyjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:
Also this appears to be a PS1/2 memory card reader for PC - neat! http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x308/jay200mph/Stupid/res-q […]
Show full quote

Also this appears to be a PS1/2 memory card reader for PC - neat!
8-voodoo.jpg

This thing is called a DexDrive. I have a PS1 one and an N64 one and I absolutely love them. Absolutely invaluable if you want to back up all your old savegames from your god-knows-how-old memory cards.

That one will only work on the PS1, sadly.

Reply 12984 of 52786, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
I can pull it if you really want it; I think it's a socket 754 AGP board and was pretty grimy. I have tons of that kind of stuff […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The filthy beige PC looks like it has a higher end motherboard in it based on the yellow colored PCI slots. If you're just going to toss it and the "junk" I'll make you an offer for it 🤣 no vintage electronics should ever be trashed as thats the mentality that has led to the current state of affairs regarding rarity. Also if thats a 16 or 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo its actually worth a bit as is the Dreamcast (Somewhat rare console)

I can pull it if you really want it; I think it's a socket 754 AGP board and was pretty grimy. I have tons of that kind of stuff, most of it's in much better condition. I'm going to make a big motherboard/expansion card sell-off thread on VCF as soon as I get some time.

I'm keeping the Dreamcast - it's probably my favorite console. I have a good working one that I don't want to mod so this one will be my experiment subject. I have a keyboard & mouse so I'm going to see if I can fit an IDE HDD, SD card reader & VGA out and make it into a little PC. 😉

Messaged you as to avoid spamming the fuck outta this thread

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12985 of 52786, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Snagged this 486 VLB motherboard for $39 shipped. It came with the 486dx2-66 and 4MB RAM. Turns out it's a Genoa TurboExpress 3-VL. Anyone know if it's any good? It uses the SiS 85C461 chipset. I found the motherboard manual online, so I'm good there. The motherboard looks brand new, even the barrel battery is very clean. I happened to have a Genoa Windows VGA 24 8500VL video card (the only 486-era component I held onto from back in the day), but I'm still missing an I/O card, so i can't do more than boot into the BIOS.

genoa486-1.jpg
Filename
genoa486-1.jpg
File size
3.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
genoa486-2a.jpg
Filename
genoa486-2a.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
genoa486-3a.jpg
Filename
genoa486-3a.jpg
File size
363.55 KiB
Views
File license
genoa486-4a.jpg
Filename
genoa486-4a.jpg
File size
422.69 KiB
Views
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12986 of 52786, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was feeling silly and offered him $20 USD for a total of $40USD Shipped for 18 NIB Powercolor Radeon 7000s (most likely 32MB).

He accepted immediately. No idea what I am going to do with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112022501533

Reply 12987 of 52786, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Snagged this 486 VLB motherboard for $39 shipped. It came with the 486dx2-66 and 4MB RAM. Turns out it's a Genoa TurboExpress 3-VL. Anyone know if it's any good? It uses the SiS 85C461 chipset. I found the motherboard manual online, so I'm good there. The motherboard looks brand new, even the barrel battery is very clean. I happened to have a Genoa Windows VGA 24 8500VL video card (the only 486-era component I held onto from back in the day), but I'm still missing an I/O card, so i can't do more than boot into the BIOS.

Silly question here: how do you power on a motherboard without a case? I have an extra AT PSU and mobo, so this could be a great way to quickly test components without messing with a case. But what about a power button?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12988 of 52786, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Silly question here: how do you power on a motherboard without a case? I have an extra AT PSU and mobo, so this could be a great way to quickly test components without messing with a case. But what about a power button?

With one of these 😀
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261220357324?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

edit: for an ATX motherboard, you can pull a a power switch jumper/wire/switch from an old case that you don't mind vandalising

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12989 of 52786, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

I was feeling silly and offered him $20 USD for a total of $40USD Shipped for 18 NIB Powercolor Radeon 7000s (most likely 32MB).

Well you can put the lot on sale for $40 and then accept a $20 offer for a total of $40 shipped, of course! 🤣

Last edited by archsan on 2016-07-20, 20:59. Edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12990 of 52786, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

Uh.......... If there AGP 4x/8x compatible (Or PCI) I'll take one or two assuming you'd be willing to sell them 🤣

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12991 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh boy... did I get a great box in the mail today.

It didn't contain ANY sound cards, any midi devices, any 3dfx cards, or any 3D accelerators at all... you know, the stuff I usually look for... but this lot is still one of my best finds ever. Almost all of the items are really awesome and tempting to use, but after doing some research I see that many of them are worth so much that its tempting to resell them and buy something more reasonable (food, clothing, brakes for the car, etc.). 😮

There are some really cool cards here...

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 001 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 001 (1280x960).jpg
File size
885.14 KiB
Views
File license

A Diamond Speedstar VGA Tseng ET4000AX ISA VGA card. I've heard these mentioned often and I'm happy to have one available if I ever put together an all-ISA 386\486 system.

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 002 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 002 (1280x960).jpg
File size
775.19 KiB
Views
File license

A really unusual security device created for old IBM compatibles called a Netronics Totalock. I found one reference to this card on google (one!) and it is from the December 1986 issue of Modern Electronics (will post the picture in my gallery below)

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 003 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 003 (1280x960).jpg
File size
760.39 KiB
Views
File license

A Trident TVGA8900D ISA card with some kind of RAM that I can't even identify on it. I think these are somewhat rare and useful as well.

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 004 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 004 (1280x960).jpg
File size
694.64 KiB
Views
File license

Also in the first picture is a Cirrus Logic VLB card and what I believe is a WD MFM+Floppy controller, which is quite handy to have.

And... that's only the beginning.

It takes too long to upload pictures here one by one (and I don't want to load the thread with pictures too badly) so I'll just post a link to a gallery in my next post.

I'll leave you with a teaser...

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 027 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 027 (1280x960).jpg
File size
553.28 KiB
Views
File license

... I'll post the gallery when someone identifies the board (or makes a close guess)... 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12992 of 52786, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every time someone posts dual cpu stuff, I rub my nipples.

In other news, that totalock card is neat. The Tseng 4000 is probably the best isa dos card you can get. The trident one with "special" ram isnt all that special. I've seen taht style of ram on many cards, and basically it was a cost savings measure. they put 2 memory chips in one package to save costs. Something along those lines.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12994 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Every time someone posts dual cpu stuff, I rub my nipples.

In other news, that totalock card is neat. The Tseng 4000 is probably the best isa dos card you can get. The trident one with "special" ram isnt all that special. I've seen taht style of ram on many cards, and basically it was a cost savings measure. they put 2 memory chips in one package to save costs. Something along those lines.

HAHA... well, this board is quite a monster. Basically, if someone scoffs at calling a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP "retro", this has to be among the most capable "retro" boards remaining and there weren't many (any?) competitors to it on the market for Socket 370.

As for the cards, yeah, the weird Trident card is the only one I own like that, but I know it isn't exactly the highlight of the lot.

... oh, I can't take it any more. Feast your eyes...

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 023 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
File size
786.86 KiB
Views
File license

Iwill DVD266-R Dual Socket 370 Via Apollo Pro 266 Motherboard with PIII Tualatin and DDR support (up to 4GB)... with the box, manuals, and disks. Strangely, a few of the RAM slot clips are missing, I have no idea why they'd be missing, but they can probably be stolen off of another board without much fuss. (anyone ever done this before?) The board came with a PIII 1Ghz 133FSB CPU and a nifty heatsink with a clip-on-fan mechanism that I've only ever seen on Thermalright coolers starting in the early 2000s (the heatsink actually says it is a patent pending design).

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 013 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 013 (1280x960).jpg
File size
826.26 KiB
Views
File license

Also interesting, an Iwill P54TS Socket 7 board with a Pentium 150Mhz installed (I own several similar chips but I've never had a 150).... and the heatsink it came with is still in its box and it actually has an integrated PCB (yes, on the heatsink) that attaches to your PC speaker to alert you of an impending failure. Pics of this are in the gallery. The board looks fantastic... and it even has a built in Adaptec SCSI controller and three huge thick manuals. 😐

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 017 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 017 (1280x960).jpg
File size
755.21 KiB
Views
File license

Yet another nice board with its original box, manual and CD... an Abit BX133-RAID Socket 370 board running the Intel 440BX chipset. Lots of the small green caps are rounded on top, so they'd need replaced but the rest of the board looks great.

2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 011 (1280x960).jpg
Filename
2016-07-20 AwesomePartsLot 011 (1280x960).jpg
File size
830.97 KiB
Views
File license

Not something I'd go out of my way to seek out, but in this lot it's a nice addition. An ECS P4 Socket 478 board, capable of running 533Mhz CPUs with DDR, SDRAM, USB 2.0 and a universal AGP slot.

The gallery with more pics is here, for those that like to look at lots of pictures of random obsolete PC components. The pics are shrunk down quite a bit from the originals but most of the details should be visible.

https://goo.gl/photos/dR97PJgcwFfjnGw57

I got all this stuff for $100 shipped from CA to PA and it was packed quite well. 😮

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2016-07-21, 05:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12996 of 52786, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

An ECS P4 Socket 478 board, capable of running 533Mhz CPUs with DDR, SDRAM, USB 2.0 and a universal AGP slot.

I've just bought the same board and I don't think it has an universal agp slot, according to the manual it's a 4x slot and sure it has an universal connector but the chipset is the via p4x333 which in theory has universal 1.5v agp 3.0 support. However agp 8x support is broken and 0.8v cards won't work. I tested the board with a geforce2 mx and it booted, then with a 3.3v agp 2x savage 3d card and just beeped, then i put back the geforce and booted again so at least no damage done. The savage still works on another board. I've read that some people have had old cards working but may be they confused this board with the p4xasd2 which has the via p4x266 with universal agp support.
A similar shuttle board with the same chipset, av41p, mentions up to 4x devices in the manual so i'm not sure.
Please report when you try the board. Any information on the subjet is welcome.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 12997 of 52786, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

... oh, I can't take it any more. Feast your eyes...

Iwill DVD266-R Dual Socket 370 Via Apollo Pro 266 Motherboard with PIII Tualatin and DDR support (up to 4GB)... with the box, manuals, and disks. Strangely, a few of the RAM slot clips are missing, I have no idea why they'd be missing, but they can probably be stolen off of another board without much fuss. (anyone ever done this before?) The board came with a PIII 1Ghz 133FSB CPU and a nifty heatsink with a clip-on-fan mechanism that I've only ever seen on Thermalright coolers starting in the early 2000s (the heatsink actually says it is a patent pending design).

Uhh i almost jealous,mostly because it do support Tualatin and have agp + ddr instead sdram as nice bonus,gj finding this one.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 12998 of 52786, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
A Diamond Speedstar VGA Tseng ET4000AX ISA VGA card. I've heard these mentioned often and I'm happy to have one available if I e […]
Show full quote

A Diamond Speedstar VGA Tseng ET4000AX ISA VGA card. I've heard these mentioned often and I'm happy to have one available if I ever put together an all-ISA 386\486 system.

file.php?id=25991&t=1

During my pre-Pentium days, I've heard many times about the Tseng ET4000 as the fastest VGA card for PC. I didn't have one, I had to be content with generic, no-name VGA card. Sure, 320x200, 256 color games like Wing Commander and Star Control II runs fine on my VGA card, but I always wondered what the Tseng could do.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12999 of 52786, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
A Diamond Speedstar VGA Tseng ET4000AX ISA VGA card. I've heard these mentioned often and I'm happy to have one available if I e […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=25991&t=1

During my pre-Pentium days, I've heard many times about the Tseng ET4000 as the fastest VGA card for PC. I didn't have one, I had to be content with generic, no-name VGA card. Sure, 320x200, 256 color games like Wing Commander and Star Control II runs fine on my VGA card, but I always wondered what the Tseng could do.

There are some on eBay in the states if you are interested but they are expensive, just avoid the 512kb cards if you don't want to go through the trouble of adding sockets and memory ect. The ET4000 is about as good as it gets for isa.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.