Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13500 of 52991, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I would choose a banshee over rush at any time, or combine something like a TNT-1 and a V1,
on older systems.

Rush, V4 and V5 are 3dFX cards that do not catch my attention, when looking for hardware.

^^ Agree with this. The Banshee is a nifty little card.

V4 is an odd one. In 16 bit it's no faster than a V3 3500, and in 32 bit it's just not powerful enough and there are so many other options, especially from Nvidia. V5 is too precious to actually use, at least that's how I feel.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13502 of 52991, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Debatable if retro, but since so little games support non-dx11 cards I guess it can go here...

Some DX10 goodness. Also liking how the 4890 has a proper cooler.

P_20160810_212341[1].jpg
Filename
P_20160810_212341[1].jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P_20160830_194018.jpg
Filename
P_20160830_194018.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license

Also another Voodoo2 from Russia. Already had a voodoo SLI setup, but one had 90MHz memory and since prices dropped, I decided I should have both at full 100. Gonna do some benchmarks later to see what sort of difference memory clocks have.

P_20160830_185331.jpg
Filename
P_20160830_185331.jpg
File size
2.14 MiB
Views
File license

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 13503 of 52991, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Traded some stuff today:

Gigabyte dual slot 1 board:

lLMxH7Lh.jpg

Two Aureal Vortex cards:

qR0f4O5h.jpg

Cirrus Logic 5420? VLB with 2 MB vram + Advance Logic Inc PCI

Qi5YglIh.jpg

Skywell Magic 3D II V2 12MB to complete another SLi set - so far I have two Creative kits (2x12MB), one Diamond (2x8MB) and this Skywell kit (2x12MB).

lc20Qr7h.jpg

I also got a Hercules 3D Prophet Kyro 4000XT, a Leadtek Winfast Geforce 2 GTS, a Palit Geforce 3 Ti200, a Prolink Geforce 4 Ti 4200, and some other stuff not really worth mentioning.

1Ob3BNXh.jpg

I do have some questions regarding the Vortex cards witch everyone on this forum seem to be praising - do they have any kind of MIDI synth - say like the SB 128 or Yamaha DS-XG do?

Reply 13504 of 52991, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
GuyTechie wrote:

I found out there is a FreeGeek in Chicago (http://freegeekchicago.org/) - when I get some time to drive down there (has to be a weekend), I'd like to see if they have any gems. Hopefully much cheaper than ebay.

I went to the FreeGeek in Portland once (on vacation) and it was super lame. The only vintage stuff they had was a couple bins of old AT keyboard adapters. All of the other stuff was modern, and there wasn't very much of it either. I asked the guy and he said they just don't get that kind of thing. Kind of funny for a thrift store.

I hope the one in Chicago is better!

They said the same thing to me. Then the guy suspiciously asked what I was trying to do. I told him I was building a retro PC for old games - a big win would be a beige ATX case. The guy said "hold on...I think I know someone who can help you". I was introduced to this other guy who was also into old stuff and we had a good chat. Great guy! He immediately asked if I was on Vogons, but he does not frequent here, 🤣.

He let me look through a bunch of stuff they were going to recycle anyways. Most of the stuff they are selling "at the front" are only as old as Core 2 Duos/Athlon Phenoms, etc. Back where they were tearing stuff apart, there were old AT machines (386, 486, Pentiums) - I was in heaven! I also didn't want to over-buy (it'll just end up taking space).

I will have to take pics and list what I got. I was not able to get a CRT monitor, however - it was against their policy to sell or give away one. 🙁

Reply 13505 of 52991, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@GuyTechie: Score! 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13506 of 52991, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I would choose a banshee over rush at any time, or combine something like a TNT-1 and a V1,
on older systems.

Rush, V4 and V5 are 3dFX cards that do not catch my attention, when looking for hardware.

V4 is an odd one. In 16 bit it's no faster than a V3 3500, and in 32 bit it's just not powerful enough and there are so many other options, especially from Nvidia. V5 is too precious to actually use, at least that's how I feel.

Well.... Only speaking from my point of view, were I collect 1985 to 1999/00 hardware more or less exclusively.
Some few exceptions though, like GF4-ti4200, Radeon9600 and Radeon9800xxl. Drives and monitor's are another exceptions. The reason for all this, are my interrest in the evolution of the PC from a nerd-toy to the familys all-in-one tool so to speak.

This translate into Voodoo4/5 being of no interrest to me.
Shure I have 00/05 stuff. They are reserved for friends to play on. The collection is mine alone, to use and play with.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13507 of 52991, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that same dual slot 1 Gigabyte board years ago... it was fantastic until it just decided to stop living one day. ;(

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13508 of 52991, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GuyTechie wrote:

They said the same thing to me. Then the guy suspiciously asked what I was trying to do. I told him I was building a retro PC for old games - a big win would be a beige ATX case. The guy said "hold on...I think I know someone who can help you". I was introduced to this other guy who was also into old stuff and we had a good chat. Great guy! He immediately asked if I was on Vogons, but he does not frequent here, 🤣.

He let me look through a bunch of stuff they were going to recycle anyways. Most of the stuff they are selling "at the front" are only as old as Core 2 Duos/Athlon Phenoms, etc. Back where they were tearing stuff apart, there were old AT machines (386, 486, Pentiums) - I was in heaven! I also didn't want to over-buy (it'll just end up taking space).

I will have to take pics and list what I got. I was not able to get a CRT monitor, however - it was against their policy to sell or give away one. 🙁

Argh! I wish the guy in Portland had done the same thing. Oh well. Great find!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13509 of 52991, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GuyTechie wrote:

He immediately asked if I was on Vogons

yaay for brand awareness! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13510 of 52991, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
GuyTechie wrote:

He immediately asked if I was on Vogons

yaay for brand awareness! 😁

One source for awareness I often see is when Funhaus does their demodisk skit and stuff doesnt work, they often get directed to Vogons when they google it. Of course this means having to be associated with rule34 pron thats ussualy in the next tab 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 13511 of 52991, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Well.... Only speaking from my point of view, were I collect 1985 to 1999/00 hardware more or less exclusively. Some few excepti […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
brostenen wrote:

on older systems.

Well.... Only speaking from my point of view, were I collect 1985 to 1999/00 hardware more or less exclusively.
Some few exceptions though, like GF4-ti4200, Radeon9600 and Radeon9800xxl. Drives and monitor's are another exceptions. The reason for all this, are my interrest in the evolution of the PC from a nerd-toy to the familys all-in-one tool so to speak.

This translate into Voodoo4/5 being of no interrest to me.
Shure I have 00/05 stuff. They are reserved for friends to play on. The collection is mine alone, to use and play with.

I totally get that. From a practical point of view, the V5 is a useless piece of kit. Glide-exclusive titles run fine on V2 SLi and sometimes V3 cards, with all eye candy turned way up. Games you would run on a V5 can run fine on a Geforce 2 or Geforce 4 Ti, with everything cranked all the way up.

The V5 is cool because it's the last commercial card 3DFX made - also it's the first large commercial card with a seperate power connector - but for day to day use, a v3 or v4 if you can get one is just as good.

Reply 13512 of 52991, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This arrived today. Never had experience with dual CPU systems and saw this for a nice price and ended up being the only bidder. It's a Supermicro P6DBS with two PIII 550mhz CPU'S. Looking forward to messing about with it.

20160831_154204.jpg

Reply 13513 of 52991, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd love to have a dual Slot 1 machine 😀 Congrats!

Bancho wrote:
This arrived today. Never had experience with dual CPU systems and saw this for a nice price and ended up being the only bidder. […]
Show full quote

This arrived today. Never had experience with dual CPU systems and saw this for a nice price and ended up being the only bidder. It's a Supermicro P6DBS with two PIII 550mhz CPU'S. Looking forward to messing about with it.

20160831_154204.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 13514 of 52991, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loved my dual slot 1 machine - P3 500 to start, then P3 1GHz. I kept it as my main system until upgrading to a Core2 system; it rankled that after the P3, multiple CPUs became uneconomic for the average user.

Slot 1 CPUs tend to be annoyingly noisy, though, with their tiny fans. The case I used was rather warm, too. I replaced the standard slot 1 fan with a larger version, but it still ran hot. Might try with a thermal gap filler and a different case at some point.

Reply 13515 of 52991, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:
This arrived today. Never had experience with dual CPU systems and saw this for a nice price and ended up being the only bidder. […]
Show full quote

20160831_154204.jpg

If it's not practical to use, maybe to show off in a case with a plexiglass window. 😀

Reply 13516 of 52991, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GuyTechie wrote:
Bancho wrote:
Show full quote

20160831_154204.jpg

If it's not practical to use, maybe to show off in a case with a plexiglass window. 😀

Yup - not practical at all... I'm running the dual-slot 1 board pictured above with two 700mhz PIII cpus, and it's still too slow for XP (browsing is faster but that's about it). It would have been cool if win98 was able to use multiple CPUs...

Reply 13517 of 52991, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

It would have been cool if win98 was able to use multiple CPUs...

NT 4.0 should run on it, and could use 2 processors (possibly even 4, I forget now).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13518 of 52991, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

It would have been cool if win98 was able to use multiple CPUs...

NT 4.0 should run on it, and could use 2 processors (possibly even 4, I forget now).

Yes NT server could run a fair number of CPU's. Normal NT is limited to 2. Same with Windows 2000 (professional = 2 cpu, server = more than 2) which would also run nicely on this Supermicro with P3 550. I used the run this exact setup with Win2000 pro.

Reply 13519 of 52991, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this in the mail today. I paid roughly the same as 15 US Dollars including shipping.
(Yes, yes... I have a thing/Fetish for TNT2's)

It's a Diamond Viper V770. Totally clean heatsink, and it has the "new hardware" smell to it.
It was listed as a TNT2-Pro-16mb-AGP. The label on the back of the card, tell me that it is an TNT2-Ultra-32mb-AGP.
And it has the driver-cd included in the package. Guess it was listed wrongly then. 😜

Attachments

• Viper-V770-01.jpg
    Filename
    Viper-V770-01.jpg
    File size
    112.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Viper-V770-02.jpg
    Filename
    Viper-V770-02.jpg
    File size
    94.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Viper-V770-03.jpg
    Filename
    Viper-V770-03.jpg
    File size
    78.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011