Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13800 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be fun to pick up a second one and a 1k psu

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13801 of 52822, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Got the gtx 295 today. This thing is stupid big.

Same size as my MSI 9800GX2. But what do you expect? its 2 GTX 280's @ GTX 260 clock speeds on one card.

I have a Radeon 4870x2, which is bigger?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13802 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the 295 is slightly larger judging by comparing both cards to a HD5870 on google images

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13803 of 52822, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I had the misfortune of getting a Gigabyte 7800GTX 256MB with a warped PCB (which I didn't notice until after I tested it) that worked long enough to get in game to Battlefield 2 before I got that "electronic smoke" smell. Oddly enough the card kept running the game for 15 minutes after I noticed that smell (which filled the room but I pretty much knew once I shut the system down that cars would never post again so I figured I may as well run it into the ground) and I was recording with FRAPS. The last frame in the video is a half rendered tank with red blocks all over the screen.

7800s are bitchs to get working. This is why Im cautious of cards that are "tested to bios only" and listed as is, no returns. This is an issue im pretty sure only occurs under load. People need to either test this equipment under load or offer returns.

I guess I need to explain further. What I actually did was put the 7800 under my x58 system I've had for years. (Note: pci-e clock locked to 100 Mhz and not overclocked, so that wasn't the issue). Loaded windows 7, loaded latest nvidia drivers listed for the 7800 gtx, and proceeded to watch youtube for a little while in chrome. Which did kick the 7800 GTX in to "3D Clocks" from 2D mode, and showed a little load from full screen video. Everything seemed fine.

Then I installed AquaMark3 benchmark. DirectX-6 (I think) benchmark. Should be suitable for a card of it's era. Clicked the Go button, and then screen switched in to full-screen mode and then never showed an image. I got "No Signal" from the LCD and waited a few minutes it never showed video. Turned it off at the power switch on the power supply. turned it back on a few mins later.. presented with that rainbow garbage in my above post.

So yep, issues under load.. dunno WTF happened but when I put it under full screen 3D-Clocks game load, it crapped all over it's self and died. I suspect it may be a case like you said there AbandonwareGuy, seller may of tested it to POST/BIOS only and nothing further.

Reply 13804 of 52822, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
I guess I need to explain further. What I actually did was put the 7800 under my x58 system I've had for years. (Note: pci-e clo […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I had the misfortune of getting a Gigabyte 7800GTX 256MB with a warped PCB (which I didn't notice until after I tested it) that worked long enough to get in game to Battlefield 2 before I got that "electronic smoke" smell. Oddly enough the card kept running the game for 15 minutes after I noticed that smell (which filled the room but I pretty much knew once I shut the system down that cars would never post again so I figured I may as well run it into the ground) and I was recording with FRAPS. The last frame in the video is a half rendered tank with red blocks all over the screen.

7800s are bitchs to get working. This is why Im cautious of cards that are "tested to bios only" and listed as is, no returns. This is an issue im pretty sure only occurs under load. People need to either test this equipment under load or offer returns.

I guess I need to explain further. What I actually did was put the 7800 under my x58 system I've had for years. (Note: pci-e clock locked to 100 Mhz and not overclocked, so that wasn't the issue). Loaded windows 7, loaded latest nvidia drivers listed for the 7800 gtx, and proceeded to watch youtube for a little while in chrome. Which did kick the 7800 GTX in to "3D Clocks" from 2D mode, and showed a little load from full screen video. Everything seemed fine.

Then I installed AquaMark3 benchmark. DirectX-6 (I think) benchmark. Should be suitable for a card of it's era. Clicked the Go button, and then screen switched in to full-screen mode and then never showed an image. I got "No Signal" from the LCD and waited a few minutes it never showed video. Turned it off at the power switch on the power supply. turned it back on a few mins later.. presented with that rainbow garbage in my above post.

So yep, issues under load.. dunno WTF happened but when I put it under full screen 3D-Clocks game load, it crapped all over it's self and died. I suspect it may be a case like you said there AbandonwareGuy, seller may of tested it to POST/BIOS only and nothing further.

Aquamark is DX8/9. For that card you should have used 3DMARK06

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13805 of 52822, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Which is also DirectX-9, just so ya know.. :>

Anyway I don't think it matters what I used. The poor card ate it's self when I applied full screen gaming type load on it. So whatever. The search for a working 7800 GTX 512MB continues.

Reply 13806 of 52822, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As anecdotal evidence, the first 7800GS AGP I got from ebay a few months ago was dead. The second one (last month) works - who knows for how long. Cards from that generation don't tend to have a long life span.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13807 of 52822, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Anyway I don't think it matters what I used. The poor card ate it's self when I applied full screen gaming type load on it. So whatever. The search for a working 7800 GTX 512MB continues.

Aquamark = DirectX9 / Shader Model 2.0
3DMark06 = Directx9.0c / Shader Model 3.0

Also my card was PCI-E (I never can find a reasonably priced AGP version of those cards, people think that there shit is gold plated. There worth 5-10 dollars. End of story)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13808 of 52822, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of XFX 7950GT EE. Payed 20$ for them and they run great. I'm not running them passive tough - a 120mm fan blows in between both cards, otherwise they go over 80c.

DrheHHDm.jpg

Recently tough, I got a hold of a Gainward 7800 AGP for 5$, and at that price I couldn't say no. Haven't tested it yet, but I'll probably give it a whirl in my athlon XP rig when I get bored. At least to see if it runs OK. I agree with TheAbandonwareGuy in that these things are worth 5-10$ tops - 5$ for 7800/7600 AGP, 10$ for 3850/4670 AGP and not a dime more.

Reply 13809 of 52822, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an old HP 9500 19 inch CRT for 5 €, i don't usually see CRTs larger than 15-17 inch, especially here

it has a recomended resolution of 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz and a max resolution of 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz, it's 20 Kg weight makes it kinda a monster, is even heavier than many computers i have

Attachments

• 20160921_172210.jpg
    Filename
    20160921_172210.jpg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    HP 9500 CRT
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13810 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Aquamark = DirectX9 / Shader Model 2.0 3DMark06 = Directx9.0c / Shader Model 3.0 […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Also my card was PCI-E (I never can find a reasonably priced AGP version of those cards, people think that there shit is gold plated. There worth 5-10 dollars. End of story)

I don't agree that they are worth that little but not the other extreme either, they are only worth what the market is ok with paying until supply dries up and a few bad apples corner the market driving the prices sky high. Reasonably priced agp versions do happen just not as often as many of us would like.

I don't even bother chasing the high flying high fps things for 9x anymore. I still feel the 7800 gs agp isn't that great of a buy considering 6800s can be had for less.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13811 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

As anecdotal evidence, the first 7800GS AGP I got from ebay a few months ago was dead. The second one (last month) works - who knows for how long. Cards from that generation don't tend to have a long life span.

Cards from that generation are pretty much spent in terms of functional life due to the hours and the neglect that shortened their life span, didn't help that they run hot. They key to keeping any G70/71 era card going is just keeping them cool and not letting them roast in the first place. Those single slot coolers look nice and save space but they don't do the job well enough that is why aftermarket coolers like the Zalman VF900 were so popular back then.

Reply 13812 of 52822, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of […]
Show full quote

I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of XFX 7950GT EE. Payed 20$ for them and they run great. I'm not running them passive tough - a 120mm fan blows in between both cards, otherwise they go over 80c.

DrheHHDm.jpg

Why did card manufacturers ever think passive-cooled high end video cards were a good idea? There is no way these coolers are sufficient and the fact that they need a case fan blowing air straight at them kinda defeats the purpose of a 'silent' PC...

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 13813 of 52822, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@up Still : 120mm fan mounted by user, "should" be "more quiet" than 90-80mm usually mounted by default on them 😉
Gigabyte did 8600 GTS Passive cooled... it's a nightmare.

Things I bought - ATI Rage Pro :

Rage 128 Pro.jpg
Filename
Rage 128 Pro.jpg
File size
781.83 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 3,06GHz + Pentium 4 1,6GHz :

CPU's.jpg
Filename
CPU's.jpg
File size
529.43 KiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 13814 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of […]
Show full quote

DrheHHDm.jpg

Why did card manufacturers ever think passive-cooled high end video cards were a good idea? There is no way these coolers are sufficient and the fact that they need a case fan blowing air straight at them kinda defeats the purpose of a 'silent' PC...

Because at the time there was a fad for silent computing was going on strong but this barely worked at all for mid range builds and was a disaster for high end. I rather have a noisy system (with in reason) than to have something that could be 3 mile island at any time because of the climate in my part of the world. When it is 115 outside (Merica) and 70-90% humidity and the AC can't keep up silent computing becomes an unusable joke.

Reply 13815 of 52822, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I don't agree that they are worth that little but not the other extreme either, they are only worth what the market is ok with paying until supply dries up and a few bad apples corner the market driving the prices sky high. Reasonably priced agp versions do happen just not as often as many of us would like.

I don't even bother chasing the high flying high fps things for 9x anymore. I still feel the 7800 gs agp isn't that great of a buy considering 6800s can be had for less.

Well, also don't forget the geforce 7 series doesn't even support Win 9x officially, only Windows 2000 and newer.

Usually, AGP versions of Geforce 7 Series and later cards were considerably more expensive than their PCI-E conuterparts plus the limited supply contributed the higher prices sadly. I agree used cards shouldn't be insanely expensive alhough i spent 90€ on a Radeon HD 4650 AGP back in 2009 when HD 4xxx AGP cards were relatively new

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13816 of 52822, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought two 7600 GT AGP cards (both Club3D) for 10 euros yesterday, one had two bulged caps but worked well (even with games), but changed them to good ones and all is ok. As a bonus got FX5900XT, Ti4400 and Radeon 9500 (that can be turned into 9700) for free. All worked.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 13817 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent $14 on 85 5.25 floppy disks. Hopeing rhat there are some good 360k disks to use with the C64.

Reply 13818 of 52822, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this Tseng ET4000AX. I had a 3000 already, but been looking for a 4000 for a while.

20160921_192525.jpeg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O