Topic actions

Reply 13820 of 52819, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of […]
Show full quote

I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of XFX 7950GT EE. Payed 20$ for them and they run great. I'm not running them passive tough - a 120mm fan blows in between both cards, otherwise they go over 80c.

DrheHHDm.jpg

Why did card manufacturers ever think passive-cooled high end video cards were a good idea? There is no way these coolers are sufficient and the fact that they need a case fan blowing air straight at them kinda defeats the purpose of a 'silent' PC...

They don't NEED the 120mm fan, as evidenced by the fact that both cards are alive and kicking today. Better yet, this model has good availability. One reason is that XFX was late to transition to RoHS lead-free solder, using traditional solder for their products up until 2005?. That coupled with the fact that this passive heatsink is actually MASSIVE, greatly increases the card's longevity.

xfx-underside.jpg
Filename
xfx-underside.jpg
File size
99.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The whole idea is a regular CPU cooler can blow air onto the radiator on the back of the card where the heatpipes lead:

xfbox2.jpg
Filename
xfbox2.jpg
File size
165.89 KiB
Views
File license

This is more then enough to keep the card in high 60's low 70's. Two cards in SLI is another matter together. The lower card does not benefit from airflow coming from the CPU cooler, so unless you have a side panel fan, it can go up to 85c. That coupled with the fact that the machine I have them on uses a Tuniq Tower 120 witch pushes air towards the back of the case and not the video card, compelled me to use a quiet 120mm fan to cool both cards.

Paadam wrote:

I bought two 7600 GT AGP cards (both Club3D) for 10 euros yesterday, one had two bulged caps but worked well (even with games), but changed them to good ones and all is ok. As a bonus got FX5900XT, Ti4400 and Radeon 9500 (that can be turned into 9700) for free. All worked.

That is a great deal. It took me quite a while to source a working 9500 / 9700. I'm still looking for a ti4400 too - I have two 4600 cards (had, traded one together with a P4 build for my Amstrad 1512) and quite a few ti 4200 (including an AGP 8x version and a 128mb version) but no 4400...

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-09-22, 00:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13821 of 52819, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

😲 Envious. Nice, man! What do you plan to do with it?

Umm, I dunno, lemme think about it for a minute... ehh... perhaps... play games? 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13822 of 52819, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Got this Tseng ET4000AX. I had a 3000 already, but been looking for a 4000 for a while.

I've got a few ET4000AX, they are fairly common, but usually overpriced. Only got two ET3000 so far. Still looking for an AT case to build a 486 (or more likely 5x86-133) system to test them in. The ET4000AX chip brings back good memories as it powered the graphics for the first PC I built in '94.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13823 of 52819, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
@up Still : 120mm fan mounted by user, "should" be "more quiet" than 90-80mm usually mounted by default on them ;) Gigabyte did […]
Show full quote

@up Still : 120mm fan mounted by user, "should" be "more quiet" than 90-80mm usually mounted by default on them 😉
Gigabyte did 8600 GTS Passive cooled... it's a nightmare.

Things I bought - ATI Rage Pro :

Rage 128 Pro.jpg

Pentium 4 3,06GHz + Pentium 4 1,6GHz :

CPU's.jpg

That's a RAGE 128. I have that exact same card and can confirm unless Gigabyte made a rage pro withe the same cooler, PCB layout, and even stickering

On a side note I have a Gigabyte 6600GT Silent Pipe 2 or as I call it the SATA cable melter. There's also ASUS made 9600 Silent Cells out there

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13824 of 52819, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Umm, I dunno, lemme think about it for a minute... ehh... perhaps... play games? 😀

🤣 Sorry. I meant, what sort of machine do you plan to put it in?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13825 of 52819, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a power vr card in a lot of memory sticks the other day. Had actually never heard of them before it. Now I need to get me biohazard power vr edition asap!

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 13826 of 52819, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What... have we here? Heh.

Y8BlYxT.jpg

lxsklLm.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 13827 of 52819, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1919 wrote:

A missing piece in one of the ram slots 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 13828 of 52819, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote:
m1919 wrote:

A missing piece in one of the ram slots 🤣

Yeah 🤣, probably not gonna be able to replace that any time. But, my board came with all the accessories, I can just plop a terminator card in there, although it apparently can run all three slots populated.

Shouldn't be a problem with the missing tab. Hopefully.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC

Reply 13829 of 52819, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
They don't NEED the 120mm fan, as evidenced by the fact that both cards are alive and kicking today. Better yet, this model has […]
Show full quote
Munx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of […]
Show full quote

I generally have no interest in AGP video cards w/o win98 drivers, so when I was looking for 7xxx cards, I settled for a pair of XFX 7950GT EE. Payed 20$ for them and they run great. I'm not running them passive tough - a 120mm fan blows in between both cards, otherwise they go over 80c.

DrheHHDm.jpg

Why did card manufacturers ever think passive-cooled high end video cards were a good idea? There is no way these coolers are sufficient and the fact that they need a case fan blowing air straight at them kinda defeats the purpose of a 'silent' PC...

They don't NEED the 120mm fan, as evidenced by the fact that both cards are alive and kicking today. Better yet, this model has good availability. One reason is that XFX was late to transition to RoHS lead-free solder, using traditional solder for their products up until 2005?. That coupled with the fact that this passive heatsink is actually MASSIVE, greatly increases the card's longevity.

xfx-underside.jpg

The whole idea is a regular CPU cooler can blow air onto the radiator on the back of the card where the heatpipes lead:

xfbox2.jpg

A friend of mine had one of those, problem was , he was using watercooling on his CPU at the time meaning little to no airflow on the back of the card, it was hitting 85c+ , and as you noticed that makes a huge difference, we eventually stuck a quite 80mm fan to the back of it and got it into the 50s, other than that the cards are actually pretty darn good, and has some over clocking headroom if cooled correctly.

@kanecvr What temps are you getting with the 120mm fan ontop?

Reply 13831 of 52819, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
@m1919 & his asus p3c-d […]
Show full quote

@m1919 & his asus p3c-d

jBd5eVa.gif

Gonna need another case to put this thing in 🤣. Something in brushed aluminum with a nice window on it.

Reply 13832 of 52819, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

A friend of mine had one of those, problem was , he was using watercooling on his CPU at the time meaning little to no airflow on the back of the card, it was hitting 85c+ , and as you noticed that makes a huge difference, we eventually stuck a quite 80mm fan to the back of it and got it into the 50s, other than that the cards are actually pretty darn good, and has some over clocking headroom if cooled correctly.

@kanecvr What temps are you getting with the 120mm fan ontop?

About 64-65c. w/o the fan the top card does 70-71 and the bottom one goes over 80.

Reply 13833 of 52819, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:
stamasd wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

🤣 Sorry. I meant, what sort of machine do you plan to put it in?

Well I have a wide range of options for that, I'll try it in several systems but my guess is it'll probably end in a mid-range 486 or so.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13834 of 52819, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to the post office today to collect this:

0qdXvcDl.jpg

A Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA sound card. Seems to work perfectly, and it didn't cost a great deal - £10 plus P&P. Considering that it appears to have been barely used, all of the original accessories and such are present - many of which were still sealed - I don't think that was a bad price to pay. In fact, given the quality of the earphones, I'd say that price was worth it for them alone!

However, there is one question I must ask; does anyone know of a Windows 98SE driver for these? Can't find one easily on the web, it isn't on the driver disk, but I do believe the PCI versions have 98 drivers, so this might as well.

Reply 13838 of 52819, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

What is this, a forest of ICs and some ceramic caps on a card?

Color Graphics (Adapter) 😀

Nice find!

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13839 of 52819, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a free Pentium MMX machine today. The case is kind of dirty and pretty generic anyway, so I'm not gonna post it. However, the internals are the reason why I got it.

First, a Tseng ET6100:

DSC_1475.JPG
Filename
DSC_1475.JPG
File size
224.13 KiB
Views
File license

It has two 1,125 MB MDRAM chips for a total of 2,25 MB. It has two empty slots for MoSys chips. I always wanted a Tseng mainly because the name sounds cool and weird to me. 😀 Not sure if there's a practical reason to use this card as I have several Matrox Millenium and S3 Virge cards. The owner claimed that he used this card to play Quake 2 — guess he referred to software mode as there is no sign of a Voodoo card in the system and to my knowledge 3D-capable Tseng never came to market 😀

Second, an Edison Gold 16 Plus:

DSC_1469.JPG
Filename
DSC_1469.JPG
File size
218.62 KiB
Views
File license

I had a nice experience with a ESS1868 card before, so I'd like to play a bit with this one. I might use it for a "fast" 486 build. Thanks to Phil and a free AMD 5x86 133 I recently decided that I want one.

Finally, a Winbond multi I/O card:

DSC_1482.JPG
Filename
DSC_1482.JPG
File size
221.2 KiB
Views
File license

Nothing special here, it's just weird to me that a Pentium MMX machine was built with an 8-bit ISA multi I/O instead of the onboard ports. 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog