VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13961 of 52730, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it

It appears the traces for the VGA-like connector only go to the pin row behind it. And with these chips it is not going too do video. It's some sort of special serial controller.

1+1=10

Reply 13962 of 52730, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, that thing I ordered arrived today: another Thrustmaster FCS. But this isn't the typical variety!

Thrustmaster_FCS_Macintosh.jpg

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the Mac ADB version these days. This one even came complete in box! Seems to work pretty well, too.

I've also put it next to my other FCS, which I got a while back with a WCS. I sadly don't have a Mac WCS to go with this, but I think I might be able to work out something if the Mac WCS is just a simple button + pot box like I think it is - only one DB-15 cable leading straight to the FCS, which doubles as a PC rudder pedal port. Just need to figure out the pinout so I can rewire my PC WCS accordingly.
Thrustmaster_FCS.jpg

As for why I went to the trouble of finding the ADB FCS, it's because pre-InputSprocket Mac sims like Flying Nightmares and A-10 Attack!/Cuba! have a direct interface for TM hardware, reading the stick, throttle and pedals natively as opposed to emulating the mouse. This is the only way I know of to get truly analog throttle and rudder control in such titles.

I know there were utilities for the Gravis Firebird 2 that could emulate the TM API for native support too, but I can't find 'em. I've got even less hope of finding some for the SideWinder 3D Pro.

Reply 13963 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally, a WORKING, unadulterated, unmodified, unmolested voodoo 5 5500 AGP!

Lq3Y299h.jpg
Top - the recycle center rescue with dead memory chips on one GPU
Bottom - all original working card

I've wanted one of these babies ever since I was a teen.

Big thanks to the VOGONS members who helped me track it down!

Reply 13964 of 52730, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Finally, a WORKING, unadulterated, unmodified, unmolested voodoo 5 5500 AGP! […]
Show full quote

Lq3Y299h.jpg
Top - the recycle center rescue with dead memory chips on one GPU
Bottom - all original working card

It`s bad you can`t make SLI of them 🤣

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 13965 of 52730, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never seen one quite like this but I'm not extremely knowledgeable of all the YMF71x cards. PCB looks to be high quality and interestingly there is a 4556 IC on it and those make very high quality headphone amplifiers. I cannot tell by the pictures where all the traces go. I am hoping in 'line out' mode it is used as a buffer amplifier. Anyone heard / owned / etc the SM718 cards?

s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
392.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
403.05 KiB
Views
File license

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 13966 of 52730, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Roland MT-32 old.

mt32.jpg
Filename
mt32.jpg
File size
38.88 KiB
Views
File license

And an Atari 1040STF, with extra yellow...

atarist.jpg
Filename
atarist.jpg
File size
86.97 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13967 of 52730, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it […]
Show full quote

some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it

Zgp6o5xl.jpg

it have AMD N80C188 and also Zilog Z85C3008VSC

The N80C188 seems to be a microprocessor compatible with 8086/88 software, so it's not a video chip. That thing is probably not a video card at all despite the DB15 connector. It doesn't even look like a typical 8-bit clone video card.

Reply 13968 of 52730, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
rein_ein wrote:
some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it […]
Show full quote

some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it

Zgp6o5xl.jpg

it have AMD N80C188 and also Zilog Z85C3008VSC

Some form of OEM CPU daughterboard perhaps?

The N80C188 seems to be a microprocessor compatible with 8086/88 software, so it's not a video chip. That thing is probably not a video card at all despite the DB15 connector. It doesn't even look like a typical 8-bit clone video card.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13969 of 52730, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got these two among some other cool retro-stuff...
Can you help me to identify the card on top? I can't find anything... There are some similarities to FAST AV Master - but it's obviously different card...

Thanks!

Attachments

• SPEA_2x.jpg
    Filename
    SPEA_2x.jpg
    File size
    2.26 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    what is it?
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 13970 of 52730, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Nope. The 80C188 is the "microcontroller" version of the 8088. It has a few integrated peripherals but they aren't compatible with the IBM PC architecture and as such was never used as CPU for PCs (address mapping of I/O ports etc differ). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80188

It was in fact used on peripheral expansion cards as a general-purpose microcontroller. I have seen it on ethernet cards and SCSI cards, modems and other I/O cards.

I bet that card is in fact a dual-port serial card, just with a weird VGA-like connector for the second port. I think I have seen VGA-like connectors on other serial cards. This was of course before VGA even existed.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13971 of 52730, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

Just got these two among some other cool retro-stuff...
Can you help me to identify the card on top? I can't find anything... There are some similarities to FAST AV Master - but it's obviously different card...

Thanks!

SPEA card. SAA17998 is a genlock chip, SAA7110 is a dac/adc tv decoder, the zr36055 is a mpeg decoder.

probably its a dvd/mpeg decoder card. Ive not seen this particaular SPEA card before.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 13972 of 52730, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Nope. The 80C188 is the "microcontroller" version of the 8088. It has a few integrated peripherals but they aren't compatible wi […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Nope. The 80C188 is the "microcontroller" version of the 8088. It has a few integrated peripherals but they aren't compatible with the IBM PC architecture and as such was never used as CPU for PCs (address mapping of I/O ports etc differ). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80188

It was in fact used on peripheral expansion cards as a general-purpose microcontroller. I have seen it on ethernet cards and SCSI cards, modems and other I/O cards.

I bet that card is in fact a dual-port serial card, just with a weird VGA-like connector for the second port. I think I have seen VGA-like connectors on other serial cards. This was of course before VGA even existed.

Ok yeah this is why I keep my mouth shut on pre-Pentium stuff. I know next to nothing about it.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13973 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiger433 wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

It`s bad you can`t make SLI of them 🤣

That would have been cool. The Quantum3D AAlchemy uses more chips and runs in multi board configurations but it only does AA. If you turn AA off it behaves like a Voodoo 4... 🙁

Reply 13974 of 52730, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a rather new but slightly oddball machine I couldn't resist the $30 for.

IMG_5993.jpg

A Sony VAIO PCV-LX900. A weird 1ghz PIII box. The monitor is proprietary and one cable carries video, PS/2, audio and USB to the monitor.

IMG_6003.jpg

The other thing is that the monitor is Wacom enabled. The monitor can tilt int a number of positions and the keyboard palm rests flips open and over they keyboard to become a giant palmrest and keyboard cover.

IMG_5996.jpg

Everything but the ram was stock. The drive however had been formatted and no recovery CD's were included with the machine. 😢

Now for the ugly.
At first I thought someone had dripped wax on the LCD but upon inspection it looks like something has scratched the LCD and caused the matte surfacing to swell up. There's also a strange haze in the corner. that I could not wipe off.

IMG_5987.jpg

Well that's because something is really unhealthy about the LCD. Is there a fungus or something living in the diffuser??

IMG_6027.jpg

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 13977 of 52730, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Here's a rather new but slightly oddball machine I couldn't resist the $30 for.

*snip*

Interesting system! The screen looks like a DSTN LCD, possibly badly degraded (or just damaged from whatever it was that scratched it...)

Reply 13978 of 52730, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Celgen - It is possible the LCD part of that screen is used in multiple displays from the time period. I imagine you can open it and replace the LCD - especially if you can get a part number off of it. Sometimes there are manufacturers that have a ton of off brand (from China, most likely) replacements available (Drop-ins for your model number). You could pick one up (eBay?) and replace the damaged one.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13979 of 52730, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

On an Aussie forum someone linked an Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 on eBay Australia. The price was decent, 60 Aussie dollars, so I bought it straight away!

I hope it all works out, but hopefully I got a decent VLB 486 board soon. There is good information and documentation from our VOGONS members about this board, so it should be good.

YouTube, Facebook, Website