Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14760 of 52819, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:
I agree that GUS and V5 are highly overpriced... buying them on ebay or amibay means lots of $$$... our "hobby" is getting more […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's literally impossible to get ANY good boards if you're in a horrible local for buying things in person OR can't afford to pay 150 USD for items thats value as components is the same as there value in scrap metal.

Now you know what I am thinking, when I look at GUS cards at sale for little over 500 US Dollars. 🤣
They are iconic in the same way as Voodoo5 cards. Just not worth THAT much. Über rated stuff.

I agree that GUS and V5 are highly overpriced... buying them on ebay or amibay means lots of $$$... our "hobby" is getting more and more expensive, but still it is possible to find some great cards for reasonable money but it needs a lot effort...
In case of some of my card it looked like that: I've heard that a friend of mine, knew someone who had cool cards back in the days etc... so I wrote tons of e-mails, called many times and in the end he found few boxes of "old electronics" in his garage... 😀

But can you imagine trying to collect vintage soundcards without having any GUS? 😀

That is why we need the ARGUS project 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14761 of 52819, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Hey guys, I really enjoy this AMD discussion. I'm moving all the posts to a dedicated thread: AMD 754/939/SLI for retro PC discussion

Good call 😀

On topic - I got a couple of P4 CPUs - a 3.4 GHz 650 and a 3.6GHz P4 661.

Reply 14762 of 52819, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My yesterday's arrival - previously mentioned ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4.

I cleaned the board from a thick layer of dust and I'm happy to announce that the motherboard is intact and I couldn't even find any scratches on the PCB. I call it luck, as the motherboard came from someone who considered it for scrapping.

It came with 486 DX33. Currently I put my Cyrix DX66 inside the socket, but it will probably work either with IBM 5x86c or POD 83 and TSENG ET4000 W32I VLB graphics.

IMG_0214%201_zpsw26twr43.jpg

Reply 14763 of 52819, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a beauty! Enjoy it!

tikoellner wrote:
My yesterday's arrival - previously mentioned ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4. […]
Show full quote

I cleaned the board from a thick layer of dust and I'm happy to announce that the motherboard is intact and I couldn't even find any scratches on the PCB. I call it luck, as the motherboard came from someone who considered it for scrapping.

It came with 486 DX33. Currently I put my Cyrix DX66 inside the socket, but it will probably work either with IBM 5x86c or POD 83 and TSENG ET4000 W32I VLB graphics.

*snipped image*

1982 to 2001

Reply 14765 of 52819, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- IBM Thinkpad Port Replicator II
- Seagate 2.5" IDE hdd 80gb 5400rpm
- ELSA Synergy II Nvidia Riva TNT2 32mb (PCI)
- 3dFX Voodoo (AGP 2x) [No clear indicators... Voodoo3?]
- Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 (VLB)
- S3 805 (VLB)
- cables, cables, cables...

20161118_174729_zpsfbfqkbht.jpg

Reply 14766 of 52819, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

But can you imagine trying to collect vintage soundcards without having any GUS? 😀

Well....
I had a complete boxed GUS-ACE, that I sold last year. I made enough money to give my daughter a good
birthday present. I did not have any use for it anyway, so I sold it off to someone that could use it.

Of course a GUS would be good to have again. I just don't see enough use for one to get another.
So I will just follow the ARGUS closely out of pure interest.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14768 of 52819, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah...
The heatsink gives it away. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14771 of 52819, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ariakos wrote:

- IBM Thinkpad Port Replicator II

Funnily enough, I have a Thinkpad Dock II (the big brother of the port replicator) on the way from a seller. I plan on using it with the Thinkpad R52 I've posted about before. It should allow me to plug a more powerful video card in its PCI slot.

s-l800.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14772 of 52819, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Voodoo 3 3000 to be exact.

Sweet! I've never had Voodoo3 before. In my youth I skipped straight from 486 VLB to Riva TNT2 and later to GeForce3. Few years ago on I bought some Voodoo 1 and 2 cards but never found series 3 or 5 for reasonable price. Nice to have one now.

...oh yeah, I paid 1€ for each of these cards. 😁

Reply 14773 of 52819, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:
Funnily enough, I have a Thinkpad Dock II (the big brother of the port replicator) on the way from a seller. I plan on using it […]
Show full quote

Funnily enough, I have a Thinkpad Dock II (the big brother of the port replicator) on the way from a seller. I plan on using it with the Thinkpad R52 I've posted about before. It should allow me to plug a more powerful video card in its PCI slot.

s-l800.jpg

Holy shit, I have to get one too! 😮

Apparently it works with Thinkpad T21 too. I wonder if I could install some DOS-compatible PCI sound card in the slot... 🙄

Reply 14774 of 52819, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ariakos wrote:

Holy shit, I have to get one too! 😮

Apparently it works with Thinkpad T21 too. I wonder if I could install some DOS-compatible PCI sound card in the slot... 🙄

Some info here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14775 of 52819, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

You're so lucky! I've been looking for a motherboard like this for two months now with no success. All the boards I've seen so far either don't support AMD 5x86/VLB, have freaking barrel batteries or are just WAY too expensive.

And this one is just perfect.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 14776 of 52819, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was looking for a high end Core 2 Quad chip, but they all cost a fortune. Then I stumbled upon this 771 mod. For a few bucks more, you can get CPUs with the mod already done. So I bought a XEON X5482 which is the equivalent to the QX9775. It should work out of the box, but to enable some CPU features a micro code BIOS patch is needed. There is an eBay seller who does this for you as well for 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14777 of 52819, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Was looking for a high end Core 2 Quad chip, but they all cost a fortune. Then I stumbled upon this 771 mod. For a few bucks more, you can get CPUs with the mod already done. So I bought a XEON X5482 which is the equivalent to the QX9775. It should work out of the box, but to enable some CPU features a micro code BIOS patch is needed. There is an eBay seller who does this for you as well for 😀

Again Phil, these CPUs still have alot of punch. In a related sugject:

I acquired a new motherboard, this will be going in my main machine along with the GTX 750TI from the machine in my signature.

Intel DP45SG Extreme Series P45 motherboard with Core2Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHZ. DDR3 LGA775 is a technology jump I've been meaning to make for a while seeing as how my RAM is whats stopping me from playing some newer titles. This is also one of the few LGA775 boards that are confirmed to boot GTX 900 series GPUs. The bad side is the board is listed as untested (the seller has another of this exact combo) so it may not work, but even if the board doesnt I have another machine that would gladly work with the Q8400 (which I would normally pay this price for alone). So either way it's a good deal.

The board looks nice and clean. I have a suspicion it will give me no issues. This board is known to be picky about ram but the Intel recommended modules seem to be abundant in 8GB quantity on eBay.

zrjIjHS.jpg

For 26 Dollars with Free USA shipping it's a good deal and worth the risk considering if nothing else I'll likely have a good CPU.

Anyways Phil. The faster socket AM2/LGA775 CPUs are in demand because people like me who can't afford to make the jump to a newer platform would rather push our current platform to its limit so we can continue to play new games. Alot of the CPUs you're after are also the fastest for there platform. Hence high prices due to high demand.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14778 of 52819, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Sweet! I've never had Voodoo3 before. In my youth I skipped straight from 486 VLB to Riva TNT2 and later to GeForce3. Few years ago on I bought some Voodoo 1 and 2 cards but never found series 3 or 5 for reasonable price. Nice to have one now.

IMO the Voodoo3 3000 is the most common and least valuable Voodoo card, but eBay says otherwise. I see them for sale for upwards of $30, but I have never paid more than $5 for them. €1 is always a great price 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14779 of 52819, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote:
Ariakos wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

IMO the Voodoo3 3000 is the most common and least valuable Voodoo card, but eBay says otherwise. I see them for sale for upwards of $30, but I have never paid more than $5 for them. €1 is always a great price 😀

I honestly never bothered to look... voodoo3 3000 AGP cards were always "A dime a dozen" at like $5/each for years. I didn't think this day would come but, I looked at ebay and sure enough, they're going for about $30 - $60 each now and some listed for sale (but not selling yet for that price) in the $100+ region. And to think I was almost considering giving mine away to a friend thinking they were still mostly worthless.

Well, glad I looked then... and I should of bought up about 50 of these last summer.. 😲 😲 😲