And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14821 of 52929, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Got this sound card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222314656642

I didn't really want it or need it, but I was drunk and my max bid was only $1. I guess I got a new sound card. 😜

I love the SB16 SCSI cards, since that's what I used for my first CD-ROM drive, an NEC 3x CD-ROM. And the ONLY FREAK'N REASON I GOT A 3x CD-rom for an insane amount of money was so I could play 7th guest and not have the stair-case video scene not jitter! I didn't even LIKE the game!
I unluckily killed a SB16 SCSI because the wavetable board touched an adjacent ISA card and poof, killed the card (but wavetable card was okay!)
I LUCKILY though found a SB16 SCSI at my local university surplus store for $5.00 in a bin.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 14822 of 52929, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:

We have an ut99 server running I think (made possible by Jade Falcon), if you want, we could play a few games? 😀

It should be up near 24/7 unless other wise stated. I'll be changing the server over to a dual 771 setup and will add a few other games to it down the road.
Hopefully 18mb dl and 1.5mb ul can handle it. Might kill the pings... But I done all I can to fix that.

Reply 14823 of 52929, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this ATX case for 2€ (+postage). Yay. I was going to use it for my "486 in an ATX case" project but... this case just keeps whispering "Socket A... Duron... Win98SE..." at me. I guess I have to find some other pristine (and preferably even more modern) chassis for my kinky 486 project. This one needs to stay at least remotely period correct. 🤣

20161122_193327_zpsa23r2jpa.jpg

I do have couple of AMD mobos: Asus A7V266-C (Via KT266) with Duron 750MHz and Epox 8K9AI (Via KT400) with Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ stashed. I think I'll go Asus route because of universal AGP 4x slot (and machines beyond 1Ghz feel just too modern for my tastes).

Reply 14824 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9d2KjHf.jpg

Got a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb 128-bit for roughly $20 shipped. Not sure if this will go in my PentiumIII or Pentium4, it depends on if it can outperform my 5950U or not. Note hopeful if the 256MB versions are actually SLOWER than the normal ones like I've been reading.

I don't recognize the cooler design though, does anybody know what specific make/model this card is?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14825 of 52929, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Bought another Thinkpad, this time a 380XD. P266MMX, 96MB, unknown HDD (not a problem), 800x600TFT. Audio is a CS4237 so should have decent compatibility with DOS games. Should be fun.

Nice, should be a fair bit better than the 380E I had with a DSTN screen. I myself have, after trying a T40, T41 and T42, finally found a working T4x; a T43 with the 15" IPS screen and the ATI Radeon X300 GPU. It's a pretty capable performer!

Reply 14826 of 52929, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An R 9800 Pro will easily saturate a P3. This card belongs in a high clock Northwood or Barton setup, minimum.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14827 of 52929, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just bought this:

0hOif3Bl.jpg

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DI … 286-12-16E.html

one step closer to a 286/EGA setup 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited by keropi on 2016-11-23, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14828 of 52929, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

There are games that wouldn't run on Voodoo3, but still run on Voodoo2. Although yes, for games of that era (1998, right?), it seems Voodoo3 was everyone's favorite.

First, it is an honour. I like your thread ! Congratulations. 20*742...Dang ! I wish I was able to learn it all
like in "the Matrix".

Yeah, I think Pandemonium and Carmageddon (for sure) gave me the headaches when using my V3 3000.
Headaches = beating some kind of DRM, serching for the correct patch, testing for issues and perfomance,
etc... Not to mention comparing the real thing with wrappers.

Can´t remember, but it appears Glidos is the way to go for this game (if they solved all bugs and crashes).
And It depends on your conviction accepting or not the use of emulators !

Voodoo 5 5500 is a no go for Carmageddon, but as I said, I have a Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 to cover me.

Does Voodoo 2 cover V1 and V2 exclusive games? I don't think so !
The fact is we don't have to have V2 SLI for perfecting glide games.

Call stands !
Hey, I did some homework! But please, correct me if Voodoo 1 is a bad performer for some of them...

It is too bad some sinister force is keeping me away from Glide games (I buy old stuff on my local
e-bay and there are real life tasks...boring 😀)
At some point I will do that (I fight hard) and talk with more certainty.

Reply 14829 of 52929, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
just bought this: […]
Show full quote

just bought this:

0hOif3Bl.jpg

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DI … 286-12-16E.html

one step closer to a 286/EGA setup 🤣 🤣 🤣

AWESOME!! Looking forward to see that build!! I assume you got an EGA monitor, or some other trick up your sleeve?

Reply 14830 of 52929, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed one of the computer stores in my area had several old-ish parts listed as "in-stock" on their website, including a few I wanted. So I went down to try and pick them up.

I left with:

• Celeron (Tualatin) 1.2GHz SL5Y5
  • Pentium 4 HT (Northwood) 2.6GHz SL6WS
  • Celeron M (Banias) 1.5GHz SL7ME
  • NOS ASUS CRUX K8M2-7MB5S 754/939/AMx CPU cooler
  • NOS Sony beige 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
  • NOS Cooler Master Centurion 5 case (w/ bundled 380w HiPro-built PSU)
IMG_5578r.png
Filename
IMG_5578r.png
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The CPUs need cleaning. The other things are flawless.

It was $100 for everything, which I feel was maybe a bit high? I was glad mainly to get the case+PSU.

Reply 14831 of 52929, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frasco, I think a V2 or V3 should handle most Glide games, but there will probably be a handful that only run on an original Voodoo. I can't see anything needing a Voodoo 5 or Voodoo 4 to run though.

Reply 14832 of 52929, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

AWESOME!! Looking forward to see that build!! I assume you got an EGA monitor, or some other trick up your sleeve?

sadly not... an EGA monitor is the last step since I have no idea where to get one! 😵
Still this is a "modern" 286/16mhz mobo that is great to start building upon. I have everything needed to build the main unit except an EGA card and it's monitor. I am holding off getting an EGA card because the monitor is way more rare than one 😒

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14833 of 52929, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Nice, should be a fair bit better than the 380E I had with a DSTN screen. I myself have, after trying a T40, T41 and T42, finally found a working T4x; a T43 with the 15" IPS screen and the ATI Radeon X300 GPU. It's a pretty capable performer!

That sounds very close to the R52 I have recently restored. It's got XP on it now, but nothing else so far (not enough hours in the day)
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R52
Mine is P-M 1.73, 1GB, 15" TFT, ATI X300.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14834 of 52929, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
That sounds very close to the R52 I have recently restored. It's got XP on it now, but nothing else so far (not enough hours in […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

That sounds very close to the R52 I have recently restored. It's got XP on it now, but nothing else so far (not enough hours in the day)
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R52
Mine is P-M 1.73, 1GB, 15" TFT, ATI X300.

I've got 1GB of RAM and a 2GHz Pentium M. Ordered a HDD caddy (from Malaysia - 15" caddies are hard to find it seems!), another GB of RAM and a bigger HDD than the one I had. And I've installed the BIOS that gets rid of the stupid non-ThinkPad HDD warning... But yeah, the R52 is a fairly similar laptop, just a little bit thicker and a little bit lower spec. Mine's got almost all of the trimmings, bar a DVD-RW drive (DVD/CD-RW) and the Bluetooth card (just a modem). Everything still works perfectly well, apart from perhaps a dead bug in the screen - even the 9-cell battery is still in very good shape.

Reply 14835 of 52929, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

I've got 1GB of RAM and a 2GHz Pentium M. Ordered a HDD caddy (from Malaysia - 15" caddies are hard to find it seems!), another GB of RAM and a bigger HDD than the one I had. And I've installed the BIOS that gets rid of the stupid non-ThinkPad HDD warning... But yeah, the R52 is a fairly similar laptop, just a little bit thicker and a little bit lower spec. Mine's got almost all of the trimmings, bar a DVD-RW drive (DVD/CD-RW) and the Bluetooth card (just a modem). Everything still works perfectly well, apart from perhaps a dead bug in the screen - even the 9-cell battery is still in very good shape.

I got a P-M 2.13GHz for mine, didn't get around to install it yet. I replaced the stock CDRW/DVD with the multi-DVD writer for Ultrabay Enhanced (the one that supports up to DVD-DL). I also got the Ultrabay 2nd HDD adapter. I got rid of the stupid BIOS warning in a different way - hunted on ebay the supported drives. Got 2 of the 80GB in a cheap package by luck. Found cheap HDD caddies in the US, I think I paid $7 for two and got them in a couple of days. The battery in mine is dead but I plan on rebuilding it after I'm done with the battery for the Thinkpad 770Z that I'm working on - see details in my blog.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14837 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

An R 9800 Pro will easily saturate a P3. This card belongs in a high clock Northwood or Barton setup, minimum.

And the 5950U won't? I only have 2 working AGP systems atm. One is my Windows 98 machine and the other XP. The 98 machine will get the slower of the two cards.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14838 of 52929, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This arrived in the mail yesterday. It received zero interest in the Cyrix appreciation thread, so I figured I'd post it here. It is [almost] a Cyrix Media GXm CPU, aka Geode from National Semiconductor. According to Wiki, it is nearly identical to the original Cyrix Media GXm CPUs, but with a die shrink, that is, .18 um instead of .35 um. I have the 266 MHz Media GXm CPU in a system now, but would like to maximise the speed to 300 MHz. I am hoping that this GX1 will work in the GXm motherboard. Wiki mentions that the GX1 uses the CS5530A companion chipset, while the GXm uses the CS5530 chipset. I am hoping that the "A" suffix is only related to which onboard graphics and sound is used on the CPU. On my system I have the integrated sound and graphics disabled, so hopefully this 300 MHz GX1 chip will work. If it works, it will be the fastest Cyrix 5x86-based CPU in my collection.

The Geode 300/333 MHz GX1 CPU is not easily found in the PGA form factor, so I feel lucky to have got this little gem for $20 shipped. Luckily, my motherboard also supports these lower voltages.

The purple lettering is also pretty unique.

Cyrix_Media_GX1_front.jpg
Filename
Cyrix_Media_GX1_front.jpg
File size
48.25 KiB
Views
File license
Cyrix_Media_GX1_back.jpg
Filename
Cyrix_Media_GX1_back.jpg
File size
111.43 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14839 of 52929, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I caught this system on a local site for a few euro's ex. shipping. Should contain a Cyrix CPU. I'm also curious to see what mainboard it is.
FHH4Yucl.jpg

1982 to 2001