Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14880 of 52832, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Bancho
Nice one! Grats!

I've been looking for one like this and looking and...still nothing... 🙁 maybe someday...

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 14881 of 52832, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Bancho

Have a looksie here: Music Quest PC MIDI Card MPU IH9MQ9 : info , drivers and tests - upgrade to firmware 010 and you'll have a great mpu
Even if your card is dead I can service it for you so you'll get a working one in the end 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14882 of 52832, by overseer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Finally got the card I wanted for my Win 98 build:

Voodoo3.jpg

What a treasure you got there...a card much harder to find than a V5...especially a boxed one.

P3 600E | BE6-II | 256MB | 3Dfx V3 3000 | AWE64 Gold | 98SE
K6-III+ 450 | P5A | 256MB | GA-660 Plus 32MB | Diamond 3Dfx V2 8MB SLI | YMF-719E | 98SE/2K
P3 1400S | TUSL2-C | 512MB | A250LE 128MB | Creative 3Dfx V2 12MB SLI | Live! | 98SE/XP

Reply 14883 of 52832, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Kadath wrote:

I have never been a big user of ATI cards, can you give me some advice on this card? Maybe I can use it in one of my XP builds.

It's one of the fastest AGP cards aver made, seconded only by the HD 3850 and the 4670. It's a lot faster (twice?) then the rare 7800GS AGP.

Thanks kanecvr, I'm glad to ear that: I'll keep this board with care, maybe for future projects and/or benchmarks. The Asus A7N8X instead, was a good gamer choice in those years?

A7N8X are great boards when working. A little fussy about memory, but then so are most other nforce 2 boards (except for the Abit AN7 - that runs anything). If you're having trouble with it replace the ram. Socket A nforce 2 motherboards and KT880 motherboards are the fastest boards to support socket A CPUs. These and KT333 (late revision) motherboards are always worth keeping.

Reply 14884 of 52832, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
overseer wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Finally got the card I wanted for my Win 98 build:

Voodoo3.jpg

What a treasure you got there...a card much harder to find than a V5...especially a boxed one.

Dunno about that - I found one way before I got a working V5. Also, nice avatar. Homeworld fan?

Reply 14885 of 52832, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I caught this system on a local site for a few euro's ex. shipping. Should contain a Cyrix CPU. I'm also curious to see what mai […]
Show full quote

I caught this system on a local site for a few euro's ex. shipping. Should contain a Cyrix CPU. I'm also curious to see what mainboard it is.
FHH4Yucl.jpg

I received this system today, it's quite nice. It has:

Biostar M5ATA Motherboard (ALi ALADDiN IV+)
IBM 6x86MX PR200 CPU (YAY!!)
Sound Blaster 16 CT4180
Biostar S3 Virge video
Realtek LAN
Seagate HDD
24x CDROM
An okay looking AT case

1982 to 2001

Reply 14886 of 52832, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well finally got my crosshair board here. And it's -CLEAN- and nice. Unfortunately my one 3-core chip ain't supported, too new. Had to buy a $5.50 dual core am2 chip off ebay just to get it running so I can flash the bios into it.

Well here it is anyway:
DSC06959.JPG

Reply 14887 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Well finally got my crosshair board here. And it's -CLEAN- and nice. Unfortunately my one 3-core chip ain't supported, too new. […]
Show full quote

Well finally got my crosshair board here. And it's -CLEAN- and nice. Unfortunately my one 3-core chip ain't supported, too new. Had to buy a $5.50 dual core am2 chip off ebay just to get it running so I can flash the bios into it.

Well here it is anyway:
DSC06959.JPG

I can't help but laugh...... 🤣

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14889 of 52832, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

A7N8X are great boards when working. A little fussy about memory, but then so are most other nforce 2 boards (except for the Abit AN7 - that runs anything). If you're having trouble with it replace the ram.

True dat. This must happens due to onboard graphics. Just my luck I did think about changing DDR RAM !
So many models (PC3200 and PC2700U for instance).
LAN is dead on my A7N8X-VM. I've been told to change a black box. I think it's a voltage regulator.

You people wouldn't believe how many issues I gotta get rid of. Dang !

Reply 14890 of 52832, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Well here it is anyway:

I can't help but laugh...... 🤣

.. what's so funny, my chip situation? is no big deal, old supported dual core was $5.50 off ebay no big deal, pop it in flash it up my newer chips will work fine.

Reply 14891 of 52832, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do we have a marketplace area on the forum where we can advertise old hardware we want to sell? I have a number of graphics cards that I want to advertise. I would rather them go to users who will use them and take care of them and would like to advertise these to fellow VOGONS members first. If there isn't such a place, what recommended places are there other than eBay and AmigaBay?

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 14892 of 52832, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
janskjaer wrote:

Do we have a marketplace area on the forum where we can advertise old hardware we want to sell? I have a number of graphics cards that I want to advertise. I would rather them go to users who will use them and take care of them and would like to advertise these to fellow VOGONS members first. If there isn't such a place, what recommended places are there other than eBay and AmigaBay?

Yea no selling permitted on Vogons. The sites you mentioned are used by many here.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14893 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
janskjaer wrote:

Yea no selling permitted on Vogons. The sites you mentioned are used by many here.

Don't sell on those sites. Too many scalpers and people who mass scrap parts that don't over clock well. There was somebody who threw away perfectly good parts because they couldn't find a buyer. Not the kind of people you want getting a hold of stuff. Amibay is also 95 percent European which makes it useless to Americans. VCFed is the American equivalent of Amibay. Ebay is just a shit hole in general

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14894 of 52832, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
janskjaer wrote:

Don't sell on those sites. Too many scalpers and people who mass scrap parts that don't over clock well. There was somebody who threw away perfectly good parts because they couldn't find a buyer. Not the kind of people you want getting a hold of stuff. Amibay is also 95 percent European which makes it useless to Americans. VCFed is the American equivalent of Amibay. Ebay is just a shit hole in general

Er.. According to their location, Janskjaer is in the UK.. so.. why shouldnt they use Amibay?

As for the rest of your post.. nobody should ever sell anything anywhere?

Reply 14895 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just saying, if you sell at well known places, you're going to find bad eggs. I try to sell at specialized forums. E.G. if I were selling a Voodoo card, I'd sell at a Voodoo forum.

Reply 14896 of 52832, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received the Thinkpad 380XD I had ordered a few days ago.. It was listed as "unknown condition, does not power up" so there was a bit of uneasiness of my part. But once I hooked it to a power supply, it fired right up. 😀 Gave me the errors 00161, 00163 and 00192 at boot. Entered setup and set the date, that got rid of the first 2 errors. The last one persisted (CMOS battery is dead) but it continued booting all the same. It has Windows 95 on it, and seems like someone's CVs and job applications from back in 2001. 😎 I'll replace the hard drive of course with a new one, and store the original one after I wipe it, don't want to be snooping through anyone's private papers. Even the main battery seems to be charging fine, I'll leave it plugged overnight and see how much juice it holds.

Now the CMOS battery I can't replace because I don't have the right size tonight. I have all sizes of batteries, but haven't had a use for a CR1220 so far so I don't have any. And no, a CR2032 or CR2025 won't fit because the 1220 is a narrower diameter (12mm vs 20mm). Guess that'll wait a day or two until I find a battery that fits.

Overall I'm very pleased. The laptop is almost pristine. Not a bad deal for $25 including shipping.

Oh yes, specs. PMMX 266, 48MB RAM, 4GB HDD, 12" TFT (800x600), CS4237B audio chip, FDD, CDROM, USB (1 port).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14897 of 52832, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Received the Thinkpad 380XD I had ordered a few days ago.. It was listed as "unknown condition, does not power up" so there was […]
Show full quote

Received the Thinkpad 380XD I had ordered a few days ago.. It was listed as "unknown condition, does not power up" so there was a bit of uneasiness of my part. But once I hooked it to a power supply, it fired right up. 😀 Gave me the errors 00161, 00163 and 00192 at boot. Entered setup and set the date, that got rid of the first 2 errors. The last one persisted (CMOS battery is dead) but it continued booting all the same. It has Windows 95 on it, and seems like someone's CVs and job applications from back in 2001. 😎 I'll replace the hard drive of course with a new one, and store the original one after I wipe it, don't want to be snooping through anyone's private papers. Even the main battery seems to be charging fine, I'll leave it plugged overnight and see how much juice it holds.

Now the CMOS battery I can't replace because I don't have the right size tonight. I have all sizes of batteries, but haven't had a use for a CR1220 so far so I don't have any. And no, a CR2032 or CR2025 won't fit because the 1220 is a narrower diameter (12mm vs 20mm). Guess that'll wait a day or two until I find a battery that fits.

Overall I'm very pleased. The laptop is almost pristine. Not a bad deal for $25 including shipping.

Oh yes, specs. PMMX 266, 48MB RAM, 4GB HDD, 12" TFT (800x600), CS4237B audio chip, FDD, CDROM, USB (1 port).

Gotta love the untested laptop bargain - so many sellers just don't have the right adapter. Picked up an IBM 5140 the other day for a relative bargain for the same reason. Also fairly recently bought a 650MHz Thinkpad 600x as untested, it also booted. I had been hunting the 650MHz Speedstep 600x for a while so was pretty stoked with the bargain! It seems that as a joke someone had set the Netscape opening page to pr0nhub.com, but looking through the cache and temp files there was no other evidence of any one-handed browsing - as the wi-fi card doesn't support WPA it didn't give me a surprise when I started it up! 😉

Reply 14898 of 52832, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

Gotta love the untested laptop bargain - so many sellers just don't have the right adapter.

To be fair I picked this one from a seller that seems to deal primarily with memorabilia junk that they pick at garage sales. This was the only piece of electronics of any kind in their store - the rest was vintage bottles, dolls from the 1940s etc.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14899 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Received the Thinkpad 380XD I had ordered a few days ago.. It was listed as "unknown condition, does not power up" so there was […]
Show full quote

Going through stuff you find on old computers is half the fun. Over the years i've found:

- IBM Confidential Source Code and information (most of it pertaining to 300 series mainframes)
- Various illegal things (basically anything pertaining to 90s era cybercrime ive seen at some point)
- Email logs between various engineers discussing some sort of audio file format
- all the customer data of a 1990s skating rink along with around a decade of logs from events
- a CD containing 3 years worth of patient documents and information from a local clinic
- A bunch of programs im pretty sure i own the last known, maintained, copies of.
- various other interesting stuff the general public can't see

I need to get around to archiving it. I was originally going to send most of it to Jason Scott (runs textfiles.com and the internet archives archive team) but he said most of it wouldn't be publically posted it. Sadly most of this data will degrade before I get access to any sort of mass floppy index'ing tool.
Obviously i wouldnt be publishing the skating rink data or clinic data unless theres snowden level stuff in it but the rest is fair game.

Part of being in this hobby is: You have the potential to be Snowden 2.0