Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15081 of 52810, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Rawrl wrote:

Didnt you scrap like 50 2GB sticks of enthusiast DDR2 not that long ago (along with some nice ass controllers) for there gold just because nobody would buy them?... And now you're buying more DDR2?

Yes and no.
I scraped a few 100 sticks of cheap 1gb ddr2 sticks for the heatsinks and not gold. They were leftovers, all the good sticks were sold. Not that I could have used them.
The controllers weren't what I called nice, I tossed them out.

Honestly most of what I buy eventually gets scrapped or junked. I have a bad habit of building a new system evry few months and if I can't sell the parts in a few days I just bench the crap out of them and scrap/junk the leftover bits.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-08, 02:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15082 of 52810, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Noisy fan on that 3850 AGP

I think this may be one of the reasons one of mine came with a large aftermarket cooler when I bought it.
Kinda odd that here in The Netherlands I've only seen this exact Sapphire for sale (both mine are Sapphires like yours).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15083 of 52810, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

Noisy fan on that 3850 AGP

TBH I don't care a bit how noisy it is. The more my computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner, the better. 😀

(also, I don't care how excrementaly runny it is, hand over le fromage de la belle France qui s'appelle Camembert) 🤣

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-12-08, 05:28. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15087 of 52810, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Phils going modern 😀
DirectX 11 support and VLIW5 architecture.
Nice !

Yup, getting in early 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15088 of 52810, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought IBM Netvista X40 with PIII 667MHz CPU, 1GB RAM etc for 20 euros. All working. Will try to shove Voodoo2 into it, it supports low profile PCI cards by default but the cover is not too diificult to modify (not permanent).

144387_16WhRMONq9LlBoSRJD5EGYp14.jpg

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 15089 of 52810, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
Yes and no. I scraped a few 100 sticks of cheap 1gb ddr2 sticks for the heatsinks and not gold. They were leftovers, all the goo […]
Show full quote
Rawrl wrote:

Didnt you scrap like 50 2GB sticks of enthusiast DDR2 not that long ago (along with some nice ass controllers) for there gold just because nobody would buy them?... And now you're buying more DDR2?

Yes and no.
I scraped a few 100 sticks of cheap 1gb ddr2 sticks for the heatsinks and not gold. They were leftovers, all the good sticks were sold. Not that I could have used them.
The controllers weren't what I called nice, I tossed them out.

Honestly most of what I buy eventually gets scrapped or junked. I have a bad habit of building a new system evry few months and if I can't sell the parts in a few days I just bench the crap out of them and scrap/junk the leftover bits.

Oh, the ram I was talking about was a bunch of Patriot, OCZ, and Corsair XMS PC2-6400 sticks that were described as the leftover from a overclock binning run you were selling by some quantity for 10 USD. I wish I had seen it earlier, DDR2 RAM (Good Intel-compatible DDR2 anyways) is getting to where its kind of hard to find at a reasonable price.

Wasn't there 2 Sidewinder gamepads and a 3DFX Hammerhead Dual Analog? I would have bought them had I seen it before you threw them out (Around the same time I bought some quantity of AGP cards from you I believe before you nuked your Amibay account for no apparent reason?). The Hammerhead was pretty rare if I recall (What 3DFX things aren't though 😀 ).

By the way, just out of curiosity instead of scrapping them why not just throw them up on eBay for cheap? Someone will usually buy them pretty quick, or if nothing else just drop the old parts at a thrift store. Most thrift stores I've seen will sell PC parts (excluding hard drives), just not whole PC's (Something about the law saying they can't sell them without either wiping the hard drive or removing which is something most thrift stores just aren't equipped/trained to do).'

Me, and many others here, hate seeing old stuff get scrapped for parts (This is part of why I bought the S3 lot). Hell if you shoot me a message I'll usually buy stuff from you if I have any cash on hand just to keep it from getting scrapped. Im sure there are a lot of people on the internet into our hobby that would do the same.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15090 of 52810, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah I had it all on ebay and other sites for over a month. I had the hammerhead listed for .99$+shipping and all the ram for $5. no one wanted it and I don't have the space or time to deal with it. The hammerhead was a dual digital pad. Not really anything major, just a off the shelf controller with 3dfx sticker.
Anyway its not like that stuff is hard to find. The hammerhead is kind of hard to find but not really. And that ram was mostly junk you can still buy wholesale. I payed something like 20$ for every 50 sticks. And the shipping was free.

I closed my account on Amibay as people there could not read the text of the top of every listing that said I only ship within the USA, did not accept offers and so on. That and the Mods never left me alone. For what I was getting out of the parts it was not worth dealing with. so I went back to listing my old parts on ebay, if they don't sell in a week at a crazy low price I'll bench them like no tomorrow and scrap what's left.

EDIT:
Now I do know better then to scrap the good stuff. That s3 2000 and fx5950 would have never been scraped by me. Anything hard to find or worth a good bit I hold on too. I only scrap worthless junk I cant even give away. like ati x1300 .

Reply 15092 of 52810, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote:
Bought IBM Netvista X40 with PIII 667MHz CPU, 1GB RAM etc for 20 euros. All working. Will try to shove Voodoo2 into it, it suppo […]
Show full quote

Bought IBM Netvista X40 with PIII 667MHz CPU, 1GB RAM etc for 20 euros. All working. Will try to shove Voodoo2 into it, it supports low profile PCI cards by default but the cover is not too diificult to modify (not permanent).

144387_16WhRMONq9LlBoSRJD5EGYp14.jpg

Whoa.

Apparently I failed to notice the small-boxed IBM the first time it came around. I remember the era of small, cheap computer (sometimes diskless)whose primary purpose is to browse the internet. Was it 1996? 1998? The only thing I remember is such Australian-made PC branded "Kittyhawk" that I read in a 1996 edition of PC PowerPlay. What did they call it, net computing?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15093 of 52810, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Netvista X series is actually a full desktop computer, with regular hard drive, slim optical and floppy drives. And two PCi slots too. Took the rear cover off and put the V3 3000 PCI in it just for fun, booted right up without issues on external monitor. Now just need to figure out how to connect internal LVDS connector to V3 VGA 😜 Also it took P3 1GHz CPU without any hassle.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 15094 of 52810, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a 486 VLB motherboard+CPU+VLB video card bundle. Pretty standard for 486-land, but what attracted my attention was the item description which was very detailed, including repairs that had been done to the board after damage from a leaking battery, extensive tests done to the board after the repair, modifications done to the BIOS, corrections to the jumper table inscribed on it because the stenciled one was wrong etc. Seemed like the work of on enthusiast (perhaps someone on this site? 😀) so I just couldn't pass it. And the price was right.

s-l800.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15095 of 52810, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 boards with VL-Bus are nice. Good catch.
Personally, I have only fond memories with that bus.
Don't recall all those reports people make of the VL-Bus as being an awefull bus. Guess it comes down to people being too used on having PCI or people only focusing on fastest speed possible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15096 of 52810, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Personally, I have only fond memories with that bus.
Don't recall all those reports people make of the VL-Bus as being an awefull bus. Guess it comes down to people being too used on having PCI or people only focusing on fastest speed possible.

Most problems back in the day pertained to people trying to use three VLB cards at once or running the system at 50 MHz bus speed. Quite a few of the lesser boards didn't like that. On some motherboards it was also possible to plug in more ISA and VLB cards than there were resources available for them to use.

Reply 15097 of 52810, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a 2000's chieftec server case and a corsair value 650W PSU for my LGA775 XP rig:

cvzvNOGl.jpg

tgYgE0Bl.jpg

The PSU is very light - feels really cheap - then again I payed like 12e for it... it will need to power a GTX 280 and a overclocked Q6600, so I'm a bit worried... especially since I've noticed it's not certified.

Reply 15098 of 52810, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Got a 2000's chieftec server case and a corsair value 650W PSU for my LGA775 XP rig: […]
Show full quote

Got a 2000's chieftec server case and a corsair value 650W PSU for my LGA775 XP rig:

cvzvNOGl.jpg

tgYgE0Bl.jpg

The PSU is very light - feels really cheap - then again I payed like 12e for it... it will need to power a GTX 280 and a overclocked Q6600, so I'm a bit worried... especially since I've noticed it's not certified.

Cool case - I like professional-line server case, this beauty will last forever - and good luck for the PSU, it's a matter of components inside of it... and a known 'good' brand name can hide lot of crappy stuff, under the PSU hood: check another thread on VOGONS, I think there's one about PSUs different qualities.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 15099 of 52810, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

The PSU is pretty much absolutely fine, as long as the caps are in working order, AFAIK it uses CapXon caps, so they might blow, but if you pull under 500 watts from it I would not worry.

8zszli-6.png