VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15621 of 52764, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought three fx 5950 ultra agp cards and a s775 Asus maximus formula board with e6750 and 2x 2gb ddr2 Corsair memory.

One 5950 was toast, probably memory defect (lots of artifacts). Also one 2gb ddr2 memory stick was defect.

Can't complain as i bought this lot very cheap : 30 euro! (local purchase)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 15622 of 52764, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$50 got me 60 HD-DVDs and an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive.
Steve Jobs once said that Blu-ray was a bag of hurt. I wonder what he thought about HD-DVD? 😀

0URC4A2.jpg

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 15623 of 52764, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ariakos wrote:
Chassis badge & 386 CPU. And in case you're wondering... they're for separate projects. :lol: […]
Show full quote

Chassis badge & 386 CPU. And in case you're wondering... they're for separate projects. 🤣

20170126_192417_zpsc2mcpign.jpg

Out of curiosity, where did you get the case badge from? I'd love to get one for my 386 and 486 systems.

Reply 15624 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snagged an X1950 Pro AGP off eBay for 18 USD Shipped. It was listed as being the PCI Express Version. Incorrectly, or this is the weirdiest looking PCIe card I've ever seen. Its 0.8v keyed, the key is at the rear, and it looks JUST like the connector on my AGP cards. You tell ME what connector that is haha.

xteydKZ.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/l1rIm

I'll probably save it for a future build. This should be in a top end Pentium4 or a LGA775 AGP based build. Anything slower I'm afraid will bottleneck it, being one of the fastest AGP cards available (Only behind the HD series card that had AGP versions).

I think I got a grand deal.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15625 of 52764, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Snagged an X1950 Pro AGP off eBay for 18 USD Shipped. It was listed as being the PCI Express Version. Incorrectly, or this is the weirdiest looking PCIe card I've ever seen. Its 0.8v keyed, the key is at the rear, and it looks JUST like the connector on my AGP cards. You tell ME what connector that is haha.

Perhaps it's one of those mythical AGP Express cards. 🤣

Reply 15626 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Perhaps it's one of those mythical AGP Express cards. 🤣

You joke, but that actually exists, and for performances sake i should hope its not AGP Express.

Wikipedia QUote inbound

*PCI-based AGP ports

AGP Express
Not a true AGP interface, but allows an AGP card to be connected over the legacy PCI bus on a PCI Express motherboard. It is a technology used on motherboards made by ECS, intended to allow an existing AGP card to be used in a new motherboard instead of requiring a PCIe card to be obtained (since the introduction of PCIe graphics cards few motherboards provide AGP slots). An "AGP Express" slot is basically a PCI slot (with twice the electrical power) with an AGP connector. It offers backward compatibility with AGP cards, but provides incomplete support[12] (some AGP cards do not work with AGP Express) and reduced performance—the card is forced to use the shared PCI bus at its lower bandwidth, rather than having exclusive use of the faster AGP.*

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15627 of 52764, by APFSDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this A BIT KV8 PRO for 32$

Attachments

• 1485577577673-422534874.jpg
    Filename
    1485577577673-422534874.jpg
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Benchmarking and testing for stablility.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15628 of 52764, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Snagged an X1950 Pro AGP off eBay for 18 USD Shipped. It was listed as being the PCI Express Version. Incorrectly, or this is th […]
Show full quote

xteydKZ.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/l1rIm

I'll probably save it for a future build. This should be in a top end Pentium4 or a LGA775 AGP based build. Anything slower I'm afraid will bottleneck it, being one of the fastest AGP cards available (Only behind the HD series card that had AGP versions).

I think I got a grand deal.

Ran across the same card on ebay for $20 under the same circumstances.

Even asked the seller if it was actually their image.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 15629 of 52764, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a MSI MS-6119 440BX mobo with CPU, RAM, etc at a good price. My first board with a SB_Link header, could be fun to play around with some PCI Sound Blasters to see if their sound quality is better than their ISA counterparts. Saw the same seller listing other parts from what must have been the same computer, including the case, and it all definitely looked like it came from a whitebox. The funny thing is that the mobo displayed a Packard Bell splash screen when I first booted it. The unbranded bios images from MSI's home page flashed just fine though.

Another curious thing about this model is that they seem to initially have been delivered with an AMI bios, but later MSI seems to have switched over to a bios from Award. I wonder why? The AMI and Award bioses even seems to have been developed in parallel for some time. Here's the download page with version history if anyone's interested.

Had some trouble cross flashing the Award bios at first. Updated to the latest AMI bios from MSI's homepage. The default setup screen language was Chinese, but that was possible to change. Then I went on trying to flash the latest Award bios. For future reference if someone else stumbles on one of these boards, the only version of Awdflash I could get to work was awdfl770.exe, which came bundled with Award bios version p2.8. Once I had that flashed, I upgraded to 2.9 using the same flasher version.

W16ufbM.jpg

Reply 15630 of 52764, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this on ebay today. Knowing I was going to need a good gamepad for certain DOS games, I had resigned myself to once again owning a Gravid Gamepad Pro.
I have hated every PC gamepad I ever came across because they have crappy one piece d-pads. Then I stumbled across this thing.

gamepad.png
Filename
gamepad.png
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license

It was titled "Battle Gear Game Pad Video SNES Style Controller for IBM and PC 15 Pin GamePort" I have no idea who made it. There are no discernable markings on the back in any picture I can find. I paid just under $9 for it so I hope it turns out good. If I like it I might search for a new old stock or something

Reply 15632 of 52764, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote:
https://abload.de/img/sbl_00vosn3.jpeg […]
Show full quote

sbl_00vosn3.jpeg

I see they "borrowed" that car from the cover art of Top Gear on the SNES. 🤣

Top_Gear_Coverart.png

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 15635 of 52764, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a box of old computer parts and this card came among them:

WechatIMG4.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG4.jpeg
File size
4.37 MiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG3 copy.jpg
Filename
WechatIMG3 copy.jpg
File size
4.58 MiB
Views
File license
WechatIMG2.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG2.jpeg
File size
4.29 MiB
Views
File license

It's sensory vista-PCI and there is some info about it in the archive.
But the screen is so bright that I can barely see anything under black and white text mode and absolutely nothing in Windows. I found a broken SMD cap at the back of the card, C88 in the middle of the following pic,

Untitled.jpg
Filename
Untitled.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license

which could be the culprit.

Reply 15636 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
Bought a box of old computer parts and this card came among them: […]
Show full quote

WechatIMG4.jpeg
WechatIMG3 copy.jpg
WechatIMG2.jpeg

But the screen is so bright that I can barely see anything under black and white text mode and absolutely nothing in Windows. I found a broken SMD cap at the back of the card, C88 in the middle of the following pic,

Untitled.jpg

Is that a Trio64 AND a ATI Mach64+ chip on the same board? What the hell is the point of that?

Reply 15637 of 52764, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was doing my daily eBay browse and saw a complete lot of a computer tower with a MHz display, a pair of speakers, a keyboard, mouse, some headphones and a boxed 56k external modem for about $50. Generic listing called "COMPUTER SYSTEM", make sure to use those generic terms for good deals! 😁 (This one was being sold in Canada) I snapped it right up and today it came.

It was a complete grab bag. The tower's front was the only thing shown, so as far as i knew i was just getting an empty AT case with a CD-ROM and floppy drive installed. I opened it up today and found out, holy crap, it was a complete system!

I first thought someone removed the hard drive, but I saw a molex connector hooked up to something under the CD drive, and holy crap, IT'S A QUANTUM BIGFOOT!

Hooking it up, after about 5 minutes ( 🤣 🤣 ) it booted straight into a copy of Windows 98, First Edition. It's pretty sluggish, obviously was originally a Windows 95 machine, but it does boot (!) and here are the specs:

IBM 6x86MX PR200 @ 166 MHz
16MB 72-pin EDO RAM
Quantum Bigfoot 1.2GB 5.25" Hard Drive
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 1MB PCI Video card
Trident 4DWave-DX PCI Sound card
Generic PC Chips Socket 7 motherboard (if someone can ID its model, please tell me -- need it for my spec sheets I keep for all my retro systems 🤣 )
Generic 8-bit ISA card with a parallel port on it (redundant, as the PC Chips board has a ribbon already connecting to one? 😕 )
Diamond PCI 56k modem
Generic 250watt AT PSU

The Quantum Bigfoot when reading or writing data makes a quiet, but insanely high pitched screeching sound. Is it the bearings going? I'm a bit worried, since ScanDisk also revealed roughly 28 MB of bad sectors 😵

It's weird, there are sockets for faster SDRAM but someone just filled up two of the four sockets with the slower EDO RAM. It's a very strange animal indeed.

Also the display is configured to 200 instead of 166, I might keep it this way just as it is because it looks cool 😁

I also have two 386 systems coming in the mail -- will post those when they arrive. Bought all three with my Christmas gift money, which is gone now 🤣

Attachments

• 20170128_164254.jpg
    Filename
    20170128_164254.jpg
    File size
    3.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170128_122541.jpg
    Filename
    20170128_122541.jpg
    File size
    3.03 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170128_122537.jpg
    Filename
    20170128_122537.jpg
    File size
    3.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170128_122533.jpg
    Filename
    20170128_122533.jpg
    File size
    3.28 MiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 15639 of 52764, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
Bought a box of old computer parts and this card came among them: […]
Show full quote

Untitled.jpg

Is that a Trio64 AND a ATI Mach64+ chip on the same board? What the hell is the point of that?

That's not a Mach64, that's an AMD Mach466... apparently a "CPLD" with similar capabilities to an FPGA.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus