VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16080 of 52954, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a clean pair of IBM 5x86c 100MHz CPU's from a pretty obscure eBay listing for $19.50 each, free shipping. I shared the eBay listing link here since the seller still has 5 left: Post 567923

They arrived today in perfect shape and work great. They have pretty substantial OEM heatsinks attached with a VERY persistent adhesive tape, but I manged to carefully remove one of them after sticking it in the freezer for an hour to temporarily reduce the hold of the adhesive.

According to the eBay listing they were pulls from IBM Point of Sale machines, and I recognized 88H1052 as a 5x86 part number from one of IBM's last runs of the 5x86. Both are 1996 week 35 stepping 0 rev 5.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1666.JPG
Filename
IMG_1666.JPG
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 16081 of 52954, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
A couple of Audiodrives - the compaq card was a much appreciated gift from Boxpressed, as seen in his excellent wavetable thread […]
Show full quote

A couple of Audiodrives - the compaq card was a much appreciated gift from Boxpressed, as seen in his excellent wavetable thread.

P1020840_zpspn4kemfc.jpg

I just bought a one dollar haul that includes the compaq card from eBay. I looked up the data sheet and to my amusement the ES692 chip has so many NC leads... It could be encapsulated in a 16 pin package.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 12.42.18 AM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 12.42.18 AM.png
File size
74.7 KiB
Views
File license

This card reminds me another "similar" card... By similar I meant OEMed for big brands with wavetable.... The IBM S-16FP/L that came with CS9233 wavetable card. MIDI sounds terrible on that combination, but sounds quite nice if I remarry the wavetable card with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Reply 16082 of 52954, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FesterBlatz wrote:
I got a clean pair of IBM 5x86c 100MHz CPU's from a pretty obscure eBay listing for $19.50 each, free shipping. I shared the eB […]
Show full quote

I got a clean pair of IBM 5x86c 100MHz CPU's from a pretty obscure eBay listing for $19.50 each, free shipping. I shared the eBay listing link here since the seller still has 5 left: Post 567923

They arrived today in perfect shape and work great. They have pretty substantial OEM heatsinks attached with a VERY persistent adhesive tape, but I manged to carefully remove one of them after sticking it in the freezer for an hour to temporarily reduce the hold of the adhesive.

According to the eBay listing they were pulls from IBM Point of Sale machines, and I recognized 88H1052 as a 5x86 part number from one of IBM's last runs of the 5x86. Both are 1996 week 35 stepping 0 rev 5.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
IMG_1666.JPG

Perhaps you should've gotten all of them. Have you tried running at 133MHz? 😁
Or at least see if these have 4x CPU multiplier.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16083 of 52954, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I nabbed the rest last night. Was curious about this myself. 😎 (and I do like Cyrix processors in general).

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16084 of 52954, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I nabbed the rest last night. Was curious about this myself. 😎 (and I do like Cyrix processors in general).

Nice to see all of these end up in the hands of Vogoners. Please feel free to let us know your results 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16085 of 52954, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
Glad to help out a fellow ESS fan! […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote:

A couple of Audiodrives - the compaq card was a much appreciated gift from Boxpressed, as seen in his excellent wavetable thread.

Glad to help out a fellow ESS fan!

I got this in the mail yesterday. I wasn't aware of a Goldfinch variant with line out and SPDIF jacks already installed. A versatile little card now.

P1000361.JPG

Where have you found it?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 16087 of 52954, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

... It could be encapsulated in a 16 pin package.

🤣 ''bigger is better!!''

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 16088 of 52954, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ageia PhysX - BFG Ageia PhysX 128MB PCI (NOS) (2006)

rurwrm.jpg
DZo0Mz.jpg
oIEbwt.jpg

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (ADAFX55ASBOX) (CAA2C) Socket 939 (New Opened Box) (2004)

gEq3UH.jpg
Kkmnvt.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16089 of 52954, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/gEq3UH.jpg […]
Show full quote

gEq3UH.jpg

Very nice! I was about to swap my 4200+ to 4800+ when I noticed the later was an AM2 socket instead of the 939 I thought it was. 😵

Reply 16090 of 52954, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Impulse purchase:

med_gallery_60983_11505_359517.jpg

The panel is quite yellowed and there is no remote and connector cable included however, which kind of throws a spanner into my plans.

med_gallery_60983_11505_292453.jpg

I was hoping to drop this into my current gaming rig (I currently use AL888..) and also use it for recording audio during LP videos and stuff. But the yellowed panel and lack of cable means I'm second guessing that option, and kind of regretting not going for a ZS for the same price of this ($5.. heh). Anyway, if someone could point me towards what kind of connection cables I need, and guide me as to whether the Audigy 2 is still a good card for Windows 7, I'd be very happy. 😀 I was planning on using a Live! CT4780 for my Tualatin build but if it's not a good idea to use this in a modern PC at all I could just use it in the Tualatin instead, maybe.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16092 of 52954, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Just use a 40 pin ribbon cable (not a UDMA66+ 80 conductor version).

The manual explicitly says not to use a PATA cable and that it would cause electrical damage.. I have a feeling it's a load of bullshit, but wouldn't mind clarifying. I've found pictures of the original cable and the only difference from a normal ribbon is that some pins are blocked making sure you can't plug it in reverse or shifted left or right?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16093 of 52954, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, you can damage equipment if you plug in with the wrong orientation. That's likely what they're concerned about.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16094 of 52954, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Impulse purchase: […]
Show full quote

Impulse purchase:

med_gallery_60983_11505_359517.jpg

The panel is quite yellowed and there is no remote and connector cable included however, which kind of throws a spanner into my plans.

med_gallery_60983_11505_292453.jpg

I was hoping to drop this into my current gaming rig (I currently use AL888..) and also use it for recording audio during LP videos and stuff. But the yellowed panel and lack of cable means I'm second guessing that option, and kind of regretting not going for a ZS for the same price of this ($5.. heh). Anyway, if someone could point me towards what kind of connection cables I need, and guide me as to whether the Audigy 2 is still a good card for Windows 7, I'd be very happy. 😀 I was planning on using a Live! CT4780 for my Tualatin build but if it's not a good idea to use this in a modern PC at all I could just use it in the Tualatin instead, maybe.

Be aware that 24-bit recording/output will always be limited to 16-bit over analog (digital unaffected) on those cards due to the fact they aren't 24-bit end to end. That being said I've found the drivers on Windows 7 (at least on most machines, these cards seem to sound slightly different on each machine I try them in) are quite bass heavy and need to be adjusted to hear voices and such clearly. I run one in my media center PC, and with the EQ counterbalance I have set up it sounds quite nice. The recording on mine (Cassette > MP3) was crystal clear as well. If you're recording LPs though you're going to want to wait until you can get a ZS since LPs can take a noticeable advantage of 24-bit recording if you use a proper lossless codec and a decent record player.

Also I believe the front panels from original audigys work for a ZS. But double check because I can remember if they changed there front panel connector with the ZS or the XFi series. One of those 2 broke compatibility with older panels.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16095 of 52954, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Sidewinder Precision Pro and an intellimouse for my "97 rig". After installing the drivers, the joystick seems to be working great under the control panel test but it's not working on Flight Sim 98. Will have to research more on that. Back in the day I played FS98 using a generic 4 button gamepad, then a Gravis gamepad pro and keyboard.

Attachments

• B77DSsF[1].jpg
    Filename
    B77DSsF[1].jpg
    File size
    2.62 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • gCspBg2[1].jpg
    Filename
    gCspBg2[1].jpg
    File size
    2.79 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16096 of 52954, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a Pioneer DVR-545H DVD/harddisk recorder for 15 Euros at a local store, unfortunately no remote meaning I can't access the recording features and set-up. 160Gb harddisk (not tested yet), multiple AV ins/out including HDMI, 2x SCART, 3x Composite/S-video...very dusty unfortunately. Plays DVDs just fine though, and I've already found a generic remote that supposedly works with the thing for 10 dollars shipped from China...

The store also had 5(!) Toshiba 486 laptops for 7.50 Euros each (bit expensive), no power supplies. Since the things are heavy like hell and I had come on foot I skipped them for now.

Edit: Laptops are T1900 and T1910 laptops, 486SX 20 MHz and 33 MHz, couple of hundred Mb harddisks each.

Reply 16098 of 52954, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is that I don't have a power supply to test them with (they were tested by the store..how? no idea, but they are supposed to work...) and there is only 2 days of warranty on purchases...so I either buy a power supply and have the risk they get sold before I receive the power supply, or buy them and may discover I have a bunch of non-functional laptops once I get a power supply. So it's unlikely I will buy them...

Edit: If one of my fellow Dutch members wants to know the address of the shop (in Zuid Holland), PM me.

On the DVR side, it's very dusty inside, but the hard disk (and therefore HDMI) works. The hard disk (Seagate) and DVD drive are pretty much standard PC parts, Ultra ATA 133. I'll probably try to get a remote for it, it seems to be set up for mono sound only (gotta change that). Then I'll use it until it breaks down and recycle the (steel!) case for a home-made media center.

Reply 16099 of 52954, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought a bare (not even an I/O shield) Socket 939 motherboard for 80 euro!? 😳

In my world there are only two Socket 939 motherboards that are worth that kind of money, three if we include the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe but I already have ... enough ... of those. By the way there is an A8N32-SLI motherboard on Ebay for $45 at the moment which is a good price, untested but it looks good from what I could tell.

Does anyone want to guess what motherboard I bought? As a hint I can say that it's NOT the bright planet! 😁

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.