Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16140 of 52951, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Thanks! 😀 They're JBL L20T's, driven by Sansui A-40. Sansui's warm, tube-like sound helps taming the JBL's titanium dome tweeter, which would otherwise sound very sharp and unforgiving.

It's my secondary system in my garage. My primary system is still down because many components need to be restored, but it also uses JBL titanium loudspeaker --JBL 120 Ti, that is. It will use Sansui AU-7900 for music and Yamaha RX-V663 for games, with speaker cable selector switch to choose which amplifier driving the speakers.

Didn't really know that about that series. I've got the older L100 speakers myself. Picked them up for 50 at a flea market. I once considered the 250Ti for being my long term goal speaker set till I heard my kenwoods, now i'm after the kenwood model sevens. You can check them out on the computing area thread.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16141 of 52951, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Thanks! 😀 They're JBL L20T's, driven by Sansui A-40. Sansui's warm, tube-like sound helps taming the JBL's titanium dome tweeter, which would otherwise sound very sharp and unforgiving.

It's my secondary system in my garage. My primary system is still down because many components need to be restored, but it also uses JBL titanium loudspeaker --JBL 120 Ti, that is. It will use Sansui AU-7900 for music and Yamaha RX-V663 for games, with speaker cable selector switch to choose which amplifier driving the speakers.

Didn't really know that about that series. I've got the older L100 speakers myself. Picked them up for 50 at a flea market. I once considered the 250Ti for being my long term goal speaker set till I heard my kenwoods, now i'm after the kenwood model sevens. You can check them out on the computing area thread.

JBL L100's have notably different voice than the titanium series. The L100's is more "west coast" --recessed treble, emphasized mid-bass, and forward midrange. The titanium series, on the other hand, is flatter, "studio monitor"-accurate, and the treble is less forgiving.

JBL 250Ti, now that's a legend. Uncanny sound stage and stereo imaging. Such large speakers are room-constrained though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16143 of 52951, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
Not only that, the 250Ti looks gorgeous. […]
Show full quote

Not only that, the 250Ti looks gorgeous.

jbl_250_ti-5.jpg

What a statement!

Imagine using JBL 250Ti's for your retro gaming rig, playing musically-rich games like Ultima 6 or Loom. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16145 of 52951, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gonna shamelessly plug my kenwoods again. Been playing Bladerunner on my PII machine and OMG. It's amazing. Although I think i'm the only huge fan of this series other than bigtuna on AK. They are very rare so not many people have had the opportunity to listen to them. Looking through some info I think they may have been direct competitors to your L120Ti's Mine being the LS407B's and the 408's equivalent to the L240Ti, and Model Sevens were japan only, but competitive with The 250's

EDIT: Also, yes that is a pioneer receiver trying to look like a sansui

Attachments

• IMGP1063.JPG
    Filename
    IMGP1063.JPG
    File size
    617.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16147 of 52951, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

dat Precision M4600/700/800

I like 'em big, it's an M6600. I bought my dad an M4600 and i'll admit it's a bit more practical but doesn't have the graphics power I needed for it to be a desktop replacement for gaming. I can just barely play Fallout 4.

Reply 16148 of 52951, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been working on putting together some retro rigs of late and have been buying sound cards like nobody's business.

Today I ordered:
Sound Blaster 32 CT3600 - OEM version that looks like it actually has the standard 512KB RAM that the normal AWE32 cards have.

Sound Blaster 32 CT3670 - best version of the AWE32 lineup as far as I can figure except that is has CQM instead of OPL3. It has the main AWE64 chip on it but has SIMM sockets. Going to see if I can make a hacky driver pack that will let it use the extra 32 software voices that the AWE64 has. Planning on using OPL3 via a Yamaha YMF724 or 744 PCI card.

2x 16MB 30-pin SIMMS for above. Only planning on using one of the cards at a time, but I may order a couple more sticks down the road.

A lot of 3 PCI sound cards
Philips A581-T80 - not sure which model this is as I couldn't find a reference to the model on the card. I already have a PSC-706 which was the top card from them. I'll check when I get home to see if I can figure it out.
Creative PCI 128 - CT4810
Trident SonicWave 4D

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16149 of 52951, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have already spent this months retro money and then some but I had to save these from the clutches of hell.

"Cpu Scrap 10 Pentiumpro"

They do not look like scrap to me, well perhaps one. The price ended up a little less than 16 euro each with shipping so I hope to get 8 working CPUs. There is no risk involved though as even broken Pentium Pros CPUs are worth 15 euro.

The sellers picture.

Cpu Scrap 10 Pentiumpro.jpg
Filename
Cpu Scrap 10 Pentiumpro.jpg
File size
230.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16150 of 52951, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Curious, when one buys those "CPUs for GOLD RECOVERY!" do they often work fine?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16151 of 52951, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got two PCs from an scrapper ethier for reviving or spares, one (P4 build with an Abit AI7, 1.5 GB RAM and Radeon HD 3450 AGP) have a fautly mobo and the other one (socket 754 build with a Sempron 64 3100+, 512 MB RAM and Geforce 3) is working, but it had one of the RAM sticks fauly, were 10 € for both PCs

more info about the PCs on this thread: Worth getting scrap PCs with an Abit AI7 and Intel D865PERL?

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16152 of 52951, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Had a mate who bought a huge amount of Pentium and Pentium Pro CPUs from China sold as scrap for gold recovery. He said about 20% of them worked, but they were packed as scrap so a few probably got damaged in shipping since they were all just thrown in a box. Had to bend back pins and the like. Some were already crushed up.

Depends on the seller I guess. There's probably better luck in smaller listings like that one above.

Reply 16153 of 52951, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

I'm sure it depends. If you look at the previous page of this topic, I documented my experience purchasing a "scrap for gold recovery" IBM/Cyrix 5x86 CPU. In the end I was able to make the CPU work just fine, but it took a few hours to carefully straighten every pin and replace 2 pins that had broken off.

Personally I think the whole smashing CPU's for gold thing is pointless now that gold prices have come back down to earth a little, but I suppose in 99% of the population's mind old CPUs are no more special than old copper pipes or aluminum cans.

Reply 16154 of 52951, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I recently got a few goodies.
4gb ddr2 ecc ram.
a pcie 4x dual channel 68pin scsi card with 128mb of ddr ram with battery backup, might need a new battery.
2 771 supermicro heat sinks, I'll have to mod them to fix a 604 board and take 2 80mm fans, no biggy.
2 R0 stepping 3.8ghz 604 Xeons.

Needless to say I got my 604 board back from a friend of mine and will be using it.

Reply 16155 of 52951, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a few goodies lately.

I'll just sum everything up:
17in LCD flatscreen with only VGA connector. Haven't tested it yet but it was very cheap. Didn't come with any cables and I have yet to test it, but for the price it's difficult to go wrong.
CDROM game "The White Label - Doubles" and it includes Cannon Fodder 2 and Dune 2. It doesn't mention if it's for DOS or Windows on the box or the disks but that should be easy to find out. Always nice to have an extra copy of Dune 2 and Cannon Fodder was fun on the Amiga so 😀
NIB PCI NIC by Sitecom. I only got it as it's still sealed and should contain the driver disk (2k/ME/XP)
Onstream ADR2.60 cartridges. I don't expect to have any drives but this was a 3-pack NIB (the box looks pretty beat up though). The box contained 3 60GB ADR2 cartridges sealed and was for almost nothing so I got them anyway. It included the warranty card and the contents looks unused (no wrinkles on the paper warranty card).
And what was actually the biggest surprise, a 5.25in floppy box! It was missing the plastic separator...whatever thingies but it still had the original keys! This one was a nobrainer 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16156 of 52951, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried going to get that D865PERL PC, but couldn't get because of too many stuff near for now, but i could find two PCs i could grab easily

specs and more into on this post in one of my threads

Re: Worth getting scrap PCs with an Abit AI7 and Intel D865PERL?

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16157 of 52951, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once again I blew my monthly budget in one go: https://boulder.craigslist.org/sys/6021663635.html

I'll post a video later, if people care. 😜

(I did NOT pay $700 for it, but I did get it at a proper price)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16158 of 52951, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

And what was actually the biggest surprise, a 5.25in floppy box! It was missing the plastic separator...whatever thingies but it still had the original keys! This one was a nobrainer 😀

These are actually pretty easy to find in Dutch second-hand shops. I think it's because they think they are boxes to store CD's...(invariably, they're placed with the CD's) 🤣

Reply 16159 of 52951, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

These are actually pretty easy to find in Dutch second-hand shops. I think it's because they think they are boxes to store CD's...(invariably, they're placed with the CD's) 🤣

But this one even has the keeeeys! 🤣
Most of the time these are missing or incomplete or something is broken and this one was only €1 anyway 😜

These do come up in second-hand stores from time to time, but the second-hand stores here have barely any PC stuff left and pickings are bordering on non-existent (and only getting worse).

And I think you're right when it comes to these boxes not even being recognized, as this one was not at the hardware part of the store at all! It was in the part that was more about mugs and wooden statues and coasters 🤣, hence my surprise when I spotted it 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!