Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16481 of 52808, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:

Random pickup for less than 2$,can't say it retro much,but it also not such modern.

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

Everything from before Conroe is retro in my book! Socket 939 is awesome and fun to tinker with in any case! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16482 of 52808, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

Random pickup for less than 2$,can't say it retro much,but it also not such modern.

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

Everything from before Conroe is retro in my book! Socket 939 is awesome and fun to tinker with in any case! 😀

Slightly correct you - it's am2 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 16483 of 52808, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The fleamarket is thawing up. Yesterday I got 2 486 boards (one UMC with onboard CPU, the other some VIA VLB with an AMD DX40 with 8 SIMMs in the sockets), an SB16 2950, SB128, Live4.1. Then I met with a young guy who had a Voodoo2, an ET4000, MFM controller + disk. Then got the Toshiba laptop posted above.

Today I went out with the intention to get nothing. At all. Right at the entrance a CUSL2-C. Then a VIA AT s370 Acorp board, a P4 with SiS chipset and hopefully universal AGP, another s370, ATX, Soyo, unfortunately the lesser VIA chipset (693).

Really bad days for my budget.

Reply 16484 of 52808, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

Slightly correct you - it's am2 🤣

I have never seen an AM2 board with nForce4 before! (Or perhaps I have but I have never thought about it) 😀 Then I guess we should call it "old" for another year or two. 😜

Kind of obvious when you actually look at the image as both the word DDR2 and the word AM2 is written on the motherboard! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 16485 of 52808, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

Socket 939 is fine, unless you get in to overclocking a 939 dual core and bring it past 3 Ghz and start noticing the dreaded K8 timing bug that makes it completely impossible to play any games on it.

Me on the other hand just bought a Pentium4 CedarMill based celeron: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282204756349 The point is the 26x multiplier. Hoping some how I'll be able to get it to 6 ghz or faster on my one P4-based motherboard. I've seen lots of folks get these to 5.5 ghz on air cooling easily. Hoping to go higher with water.

My same P4-775 motherboard I plan to put that one in already successfully had a CedarMill D0 2MB Pentium4 2MB cache chip up at 5022 Mhz perfectly stable. Seems to be a fantastic system.. so I'm hoping for something awesome.

Celeron was just $4.99 with free shipping. Don't care if I burn it out in a day. I wanna try for 6 ghz damit. 🤣

Reply 16486 of 52808, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

Didn't find what I wanted, though still some worthwhile stuff this weekend:

Yamaha YMF724F sound card

Even better, you can add the pin header to that card for SBLink compatibility.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16487 of 52808, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

Socket 939 is fine, unless you get in to overclocking a 939 dual core and bring it past 3 Ghz and start noticing the dreaded K8 timing bug that makes it completely impossible to play any games on it.

That is a slight exaggeration, only games that bypass the Windows API for timing is affected by the bug and the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer application fixes those decently in most cases even if I'm sure there are a few game where it dosn't work as well as it should.

I do own an Athlon 64 FX60 @3 GHz system even if I'm not really sure exactly where it is at the moment... 😀

Reply 16488 of 52808, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elod wrote:

Really bad days for my budget.

Feel the same here, looking at my own wallet. Never the less, the collection are now better.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16489 of 52808, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

That is a slight exaggeration, only games that bypass the Windows API for timing is affected by the bug and the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer application fixes those decently in most cases even if I'm sure there are a few game where it dosn't work as well as it should.

Tried it myself, had a K8 dual core AM2 chip @ 3.6 ghz in my am2 board. Timing bug is -terrible-, makes half-life 2 run sped-up at +2x speed, even with dual core optimizer software it's still sped up to some degree and not "fluid". Morrowind runs unsmooth with too-fast one moment too-slow the next, race driver: GRID is smooth-slow-smooth-slow even at above 60 FPS on a 60 hz screen, still get chuggy performance. Half-life 1 runs at nearly +3x speed, oblivion runs at +2x speed even after the optimizer software. Almost all of the 3dmark programs report timing errors after you do runs, and I stopped testing after that.. even the optimizer software didn't fix it and make everything normal. Soo... K8's are pretty stupid. And I'll never again in my life bother to make one run or use it because of it.

And likely considering selling my sexy 939 16x-16x SLI motherboard since I know I'll never be able to properly game on it even if I got a FX chip for it.

Reply 16490 of 52808, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Tried it myself, had a K8 dual core AM2 chip @ 3.6 ghz in my am2 board. Timing bug is -terrible-, makes half-life 2 run sped-up at +2x speed, even with dual core optimizer software it's still sped up to some degree and not "fluid". Morrowind runs unsmooth with too-fast one moment too-slow the next, race driver: GRID is smooth-slow-smooth-slow even at above 60 FPS on a 60 hz screen, still get chuggy performance. Half-life 1 runs at nearly +3x speed, oblivion runs at +2x speed even after the optimizer software. Almost all of the 3dmark programs report timing errors after you do runs, and I stopped testing after that.. even the optimizer software didn't fix it and make everything normal. Soo... K8's are pretty stupid. And I'll never again in my life bother to make one run or use it because of it.

And likely considering selling my sexy 939 16x-16x SLI motherboard since I know I'll never be able to properly game on it even if I got a FX chip for it.

I also own a AM2 system with an Athlon X2 6000+ (Windsor core), my CPU "only" does ~3450 with air cooling and I have been gaming (some but not very much) using that system and not seen any issues. I have benched the system ALOT without the dual core optimizer application installed any never seen any glitches during 3D benchmarks at all.

You could just make the game you have problem with only use a single core if the dual core optimizer application dosn't help. Your combination of motherboard and CPU must have been more affected than most or AMD would not have sold many Athlon XP X2 6000+ and 6400+ CPUs...

Reply 16491 of 52808, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Random pickup for less than 2$,can't say it retro much,but it also not such modern. […]
Show full quote

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

4ZJv1lIl.jpg

That ATX power header is placed REALLY awkwardly.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 16492 of 52808, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I also own a AM2 system with an Athlon X2 6000+ (Windsor core), my CPU "only" does ~3450 with air cooling and I have been gaming (some but not very much) using that system and not seen any issues. I have benched the system ALOT without the dual core optimizer application installed any never seen any glitches during 3D benchmarks at all.

You could just make the game you have problem with only use a single core if the dual core optimizer application dosn't help. Your combination of motherboard and CPU must have been more affected than most or AMD would not have sold many Athlon XP X2 6000+ and 6400+ CPUs...

In my testing the problem was only "this severe" when you get it up to about 3500 - 3700 or 3800 mhz. And when run at stock speed, the problem was almost unnoticeable. 90% of people ran their chips at stock speed and had no problems with it, and that's why it wasn't so wide-spread. And even like you said, most people can't get the K8 chips to clock up that high unless they're on custom water loops. And during the K8 period, the number of good performance water cooled systems was extremely small (The water cooling systems we had back then were really poor performance), probably the elite 1% of users at the time so.. it wasn't widely reported and most never saw it so bad.

Reply 16493 of 52808, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lian Li PC60 (with Polywell Computers badge), DFI WT70-EC (i850), 1.7 GHz P4 Willamette, 4x 256MB PC800 RDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2 Pro, Adaptec 29160 (no HDD), some kind of capture card (C-Cube iDVx, not sure what it does), some PCI card that has 2 serial out (not sure why, motherboard has 2 serial), 3x firewire PCI card.

Probably was a high end system used for video editting. The cable management was very well done, for a system of this era. I've only booted the thing up (no OS). One of the DVD drives looks like has gone bad. Tempted to buy a 15K U320 SCSI drive now that I have a 29160.

Not really a fan of DFI (or socket 423 for that matter), will probably sell the board and try and get a P4T-E.

ZSayEYt.jpg

Last edited by dexvx on 2017-04-04, 23:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16494 of 52808, by luisile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
rein_ein wrote:
Random pickup for less than 2$,can't say it retro much,but it also not such modern. […]
Show full quote

EPoX EP-MF4 Ultra

4ZJv1lIl.jpg

That ATX power header is ATX power header placed REALLY awkwardly .

Typical Epox. I have two Epox Board. One socket A one Socket 754 both have the same ATX power header "placed REALLY awkwardly" syndrom.

Reply 16495 of 52808, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this (boring) Chaintech motherboard, but what stood out to me (when removing it from it's case) that I think it isn't ATX compliant, or a weird subspecies of ATX. As you can see, the board is slightly less tall than the standard board next to it. The shield is made so that the two bottom rows can be used to mount the board, but then the top row is too low for the screwholes in a standard ATX case. Has anyone seen this before? The ATX specsheet doesn't mention any variations I think... http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/atx2_1.pdf

6RjBiN4l.jpg?1

Some other stuff I got (especially for the looks, I like the case and the AOpen and Toshiba CD-ROM drives because I feel they are specific to the era I built most of my PC's). In the Chaintech board there was a nice retro suprise! A Celeron 300A 😀. I'm tempted to see if it will do 450MHz at a 100MHz FSB, as is tradition 😀

A6AkK2wl.jpg

JqnR1Y7l.jpg

pUa97mil.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 16497 of 52808, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I got this (boring) Chaintech motherboard

It's mini-ATX (284x208 mm, 11.2x8.2 inches).
It was removed from the specification in the version 2.03 (IIRC)...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 16498 of 52808, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Gamecollector, I just found this site with a nice explanation: http://www.10stripe.com/featured/form/atx.php. I quote it here, the site has a drawing also. The confusing bit is that the term 'mini-atx' has been used for different motherboard sizes. Anyway, since I like anything slightly weird, I'm happy I got this motherboard 😀

Introduced as part of the original ATX standard, Mini-ATX is slightly smaller but otherwise quite similar. Mini-ATX was never ve […]
Show full quote

Introduced as part of the original ATX standard, Mini-ATX is slightly smaller but otherwise quite similar. Mini-ATX was never very popular (so unpopular, in fact, that many people have forgotten it ever existed), and was deprecated in ATX 2.1.

The great trick of Mini-ATX was that 4 motherboards could be cut from a single PCB "blank", versus only two for ATX. The blanks are 24 inches by 18 inches; Mini-ATX was just slightly smaller than 11 inches by 9 inches (to provide some margin of error).

Mini-ATX trimmed off space at the "top" of the board (the end traditionally near the power supply) and on the edge farthest from the integrated I/O ports (the edge traditionally closest to the front of the case). As a result, it could still have a full complement of expansion slots.

Up through ATX 2.01, Intel described an industry transition to Mini-ATX as "inevitable". However, Mini-ATX required 5 mounting holes that ATX did not, and not all cases had these extra holes. This incompatibility, minor though it really was, proved to be a deal-breaker. The subsequent introduction of microATX effectively took over Mini-ATX's niche.

1982 to 2001

Reply 16499 of 52808, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought three working IBM Model Ms for 70 dollars locally. One is missing a key, the other a frayed cord but the third is perfect.

All are the Ps/2 cord variant.

One is a 1987 model, a 1993 and a Lexmark model from 1996.

Attachments

• 20170403_155249.jpg
    Filename
    20170403_155249.jpg
    File size
    3.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA