Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16641 of 52811, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Using a "Soft FSB tool" to set a FSB of 166+ MHz is of course an option but I'm not sure it's possible to get very far unless using a 200 MHz "start up" FSB.

If the Gallatins dosn't gain much performance from high FSB then perhaps the very cheap 3.2 Ghz (1MB) Gallatins I ordered yesterday could be worth using. They will POST at 24x133 but if their multiplier is unlocked settng the speed to 21*166 in the BIOS for 3500 MHz would probably be somewhat faster than 24 x 146 MHz = 3500 MHz, if they will handle that speed that is.

When it comes to the Gallatin with 4MB cache I know they works reliable in the older Asus PC-DL i875 motherboard as that board has native support for 100/400 MHz FSB CPUs but as it dosn't seem it's possible to force the NCCH-DL to 100 MHz FSB during CPU initialization they will not work at all unless they can handle 30x133 = 4GHz during POST. This is at least what I have gathered from reading forum posts so far but I have to admit that I have not had the time to fully read up on the matter yet.

Scores to beat my friend :

SuperPI 1M mini.png
Filename
SuperPI 1M mini.png
File size
388.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SuperPI 32M mini.png
Filename
SuperPI 32M mini.png
File size
328.95 KiB
Views
File license
Cinebench 2003.png
Filename
Cinebench 2003.png
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Cinebench 11.5.png
Filename
Cinebench 11.5.png
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license

Good luck 😉

157143230295.png

Reply 16642 of 52811, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
Scores to beat my friend : […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Using a "Soft FSB tool" to set a FSB of 166+ MHz is of course an option but I'm not sure it's possible to get very far unless using a 200 MHz "start up" FSB.

Scores to beat my friend :

Gallatin scores

Good luck 😉

Well I have at least also benched a Gallatin at 4 Ghz! 😉

gallatin3400_4000_superpi1m.JPG
Filename
gallatin3400_4000_superpi1m.JPG
File size
187.74 KiB
Views
File license
gallatin3400_4000_x1950pro_3dmark2001.JPG
Filename
gallatin3400_4000_x1950pro_3dmark2001.JPG
File size
255.19 KiB
Views
File license

As You can see I had to use alot of voltage but that was no issue as I was using water cooling when benching the Gallatin... After a while the system started crashing and restarting. I changed memory timings and other BIOS settings trying to get the system bench stable again and it was not until many restarts and crashes later I heard a ticking noise from the water block... I had used a Zalman fan controller to make the large overkill pump a bit less noisy but the pump had suddenly decided that the voltage was too low and stopped and this was the reason for the instability, the CPU temp was through the roof! 😁

I found out that the Asus NCCH-DL compatibility issues with the Gallatin Xeon MP seems to have been fixed with the 1.003 BIOS! If the compatibility is not broken again in later BIOS revisions I guess the scores I really will try to beat are member havlis scores with his Gallatin Xeon MP 4M! I kind of like the odds as I happend to buy a couple extra SL79V Xeons just in case I also get a lemon that wont do more than 3.3 GHz! 😈

The extra cache wont be enough to beat a s478/s775 Gallatin @4Ghz in single core benchmarks as 3.6 - 3.7 GHZ seems to be the absolute limit for a really good Gallatin Xeon MP 4M, I think 3.8+ GHz would be needed. One issue I will have is cooling, I own a single Noctua cooler with Socket 604 mounting kit but I modified it to fit on my MSI K8T Master2 FAR and it will probably stay there,.other than the Noctua cooler I have only really really crappy Socket 603/604 coolers. I will have to build my own mounting kit so I can use some decent tower coolers...

To keep us on topic. I bought a few of these today.

Gallatin Xeon 3GHz 4M SL79V

Xeon 3GHz 4M SL79V.JPG
Filename
Xeon 3GHz 4M SL79V.JPG
File size
33.72 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16643 of 52811, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally.

I'm picking up this bastard tomorrow.

XT_zpsonsb4pts.jpg

I must say that I'm done here. This is true retro stuff. It was my dream to owe one in a perfect shape for such a long time...

I actually can't imagine better Prince of Persia experience than what you get on this kind of machine.

Reply 16645 of 52811, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at the monitor, it will either be a 5154 or 5153. The former being EGA and INCREDIBLY expensive in working condition.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16648 of 52811, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it works. And is in perfect shape. It was bought in the 80s in Sweden by one musican (qute well known in Poland where I live) that really cares about his stuff. I can't wait to see what's inside. Would really craze out if there was some IBM sound card in this XT

Reply 16649 of 52811, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

Yes, it works. And is in perfect shape. It was bought in the 80s in Sweden by one musican (qute well known in Poland where I live) that really cares about his stuff. I can't wait to see what's inside. Would really craze out if there was some IBM sound card in this XT

So, was there?

IBM Music card supports MIDI, doesn't it? I imagine musician in the past would use text-based MIDI sequencer with their PC-XT to control MIDI devices. I remember composing MIDI songs with Voyetra Sequencer Plus Pro on a 286. Yes, MIDI sequencer works on such old PC.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16650 of 52811, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I went to a local PC store/recycler to pick a a CPU for a friend, I got talking with the owner and walked out with the CPU, and this beauty: Total surprise for me to find it there, and it cost me 20 euro so I'm not complaining 😉

It should be working, he wasn't 100% sure though. Now, to find a Pentium Pro CPU cooler.......

s300Dt2l.jpg
DR5q3GZl.jpg
LeZNKvjl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 16651 of 52811, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, no IBM feature card was found inside 😀 Just CGA and EGA adapters, I/O controllers, HDD and floppy controller. That's it.
After giving it some proper clean I just plugged my CT-1320A inside.

It's so slow! 😀 Can't actually play Prince of Persia... But Arkanoid works fine.

Reply 16652 of 52811, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this guy sitting alone in the bin (for maybe 3 weeks or so) at a local tech surplus store for $6. It installs as a Trident Blade 3D. Most likely T-16 variant (9950). It's 16MB AGP. Gets an awesome 1650 3DMark 2000 on defaults (with a Athlon XP 2000+).

ol30Y0R.jpg

Reply 16655 of 52811, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one in working condition, let me know if you need information! I love Slot A

rein_ein wrote:

3$ to my friend goldscrapper and i got:

Asus K7M with missing 6 coils,all other looks good,can't say i came too late but at least i rescued what is left... in search of donor now

1982 to 2001

Reply 16656 of 52811, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikoellner wrote:
Finally. […]
Show full quote

Finally.

I'm picking up this bastard tomorrow.

XT_zpsonsb4pts.jpg

I must say that I'm done here. This is true retro stuff. It was my dream to owe one in a perfect shape for such a long time...

I actually can't imagine better Prince of Persia experience than what you get on this kind of machine.

This is this is the stuff dreams are made of. 😀

Reply 16657 of 52811, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

Unfortunately, no IBM feature card was found inside 😀 Just CGA and EGA adapters, I/O controllers, HDD and floppy controller. That's it.
After giving it some proper clean I just plugged my CT-1320A inside.

It's so slow! 😀 Can't actually play Prince of Persia... But Arkanoid works fine.

I see. Too bad, it would be very interesting to see how a PC XT runs extrenal MIDI device.

Anyway, it's too slow to play Prince of Persia? I remember the first time I play PoP was on my cousin's PC XT, and it wasn't too slow.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16659 of 52811, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought these semi-locally. Had to drive about 100 miles each way. Ran 3DMark on them, flawless. Although the fans seem kind of rattly (not exactly). The fans seemed like they could use lube, but they are fully enclosed ball-bearing fans, so I'll just replace them when they fail.

EBtJ6j8.jpg

And their 3DMark scores, looks like AGP vs PCI didn't make a difference for games of that era on this card.

w0EAqGX.png