VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17860 of 52822, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received two nice cards!
PAS8bit and another GUS clone in my collection. Reveal WavExtreme32.

Attachments

• BATYRA_GUS_RevealWavExtreme3d2.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_GUS_RevealWavExtreme3d2.jpg
    File size
    355.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Reveal WavExtreme 32 (GUS PnP clone)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • BATYRA_PAS8bit_3.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_PAS8bit_3.jpg
    File size
    385.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Original Pro Audio Spectrum 8bit
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17861 of 52822, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A local second-hand store had an interesting motherboard laying around, that had four PCI slots (no ISA) and both a Slot 1 and a regular CPU socket. Seemed to be sized for an OEM system...

Any idea what that could have been?

Unfortunately it was broken according to the store owner...was brought back by someone who bought it and couldn't get it to work.

Edit: A quick search with Google Images shows it could have been a Jetway board...but that one has an ISA slot.

Reply 17862 of 52822, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
A local second-hand store had an interesting motherboard laying around, that had four PCI slots (no ISA) and both a Slot 1 and a […]
Show full quote

A local second-hand store had an interesting motherboard laying around, that had four PCI slots (no ISA) and both a Slot 1 and a regular CPU socket. Seemed to be sized for an OEM system...

Any idea what that could have been?

Unfortunately it was broken according to the store owner...was brought back by someone who bought it and couldn't get it to work.

Edit: A quick search with Google Images shows it could have been a Jetway board...but that one has an ISA slot.

Probably one of those weird slot 1 and socket 370 dealios. I've got one of these in AT form factor made by PC Chips with the Intel 810 chipset (model is M766LMRT.). Paired with a Slot 1 P2 400 it's pretty neat for smaller games.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17863 of 52822, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Eck, a slot1/370 upgrade board. PC Chips and matsonic did make such boards. I recall jetway doing so too.
I guise there ok, but can be quirky.

Anyway I picked up a Quantum Fireball Plus AS the other day, should do good with a ATA133 card in my slot1 system.
The Plus AS was the best of the fireballs if I recall. I thing they were ata6 7200rpm and had like 1 or 2mb of cache.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-18, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17864 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Eck, a slot1/370 upgrade board. PC Chips and matsonic did make such boards. I recall jetway doing so too.
I guise there ok, but can be quirky.

Anyway I picked up a Quantum Fireball Plus AS the other day, should do good with a ATA133 card in my slot1 system.

Tyan also made at least one. I have a copy of the S1854. Goos, stable board and for some reason goes for a lot on eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17865 of 52822, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

so nice!
I was also monitoring the amibay thread, it's good your package arrived - this means others will get theirs too 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17867 of 52822, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Arctic wrote:

Are original GUS cards and clones rarer than 3dfx cards these days?

Id say yes, but I know where to look for 3dfx cards and do not know were to look for GUS cards.

Reply 17868 of 52822, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
Batyra wrote:

so nice!
I was also monitoring the amibay thread, it's good your package arrived - this means others will get theirs too 😎

Oh I was so happy I was the first both for PAS and GUS...

Arctic wrote:

Are original GUS cards and clones rarer than 3dfx cards these days?

I also think that they are rarer... simply look at eBay or AmiBay etc. how many GUS and 3dfx are offered. But I think that 3dfx in retro machine from some time period is obligatory and GUS... not. I love this cards, I can say it's an addiction. But I know many "better" cards in therms of sound quality (Yamaha cards and daughterboards in example). Sometimes it's more difficult with clones. And to find a boxed GUS clone thats quite an achievement nowdays.

Last edited by Batyra on 2017-07-18, 16:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17869 of 52822, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never found any GUS card while I've bought 17 3Dfx cards (10 of them were bought last sunday as I showed it here ^^) but I'd like to have at least one GUS card now 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17870 of 52822, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I've never found any GUS card while I've bought 17 3Dfx cards (10 of them were bought last sunday as I showed it here ^^) but I'd like to have at least one GUS card now 🙁

Luckyly they are not that rare... with some dose of patiency you will get one quite soon - I'm certain.

Reply 17871 of 52822, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, since I've found 10 Voodoo 3 3000 with a bunch of 3Com cards and an NV1 based card, I guess that I could find anything now X)

Otherwise, I've acquired enough stuff that is valuable enough (without even counting the voodoo 3s) to start exchanging hardware and software with other people. I don't like buying retro hardware and then selling them at a higher price than what I paid to get it. I prefer exchanging it with other people, that way I don't participate at all to the rise of the prices

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17872 of 52822, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

Tested this BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP. Needed 2x Molex connectors. Had to fiddle with it, as BIOS had trouble booting. It did NOT like my SATA power -> Molex adapter I use for every other video card.

<snip>

I owned one of these for a while, they are indeed picky on their power. The one I had sometimes wouldn't even power on if I used two molex connectors on the same power cord off the power supply. I'd have to use 1 molex from 1 cord and another molex from another cord. And mine wouldn't power on with sata -> molex either.

Reply 17873 of 52822, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Tested this BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP. Needed 2x Molex connectors. Had to fiddle with it, as BIOS had trouble booting. It did NOT like my SATA power -> Molex adapter I use for every other video card.

<snip>

I owned one of these for a while, they are indeed picky on their power. The one I had sometimes wouldn't even power on if I used two molex connectors on the same power cord off the power supply. I'd have to use 1 molex from 1 cord and another molex from another cord. And mine wouldn't power on with sata -> molex either.

That is the way it is suppose to work. It has to take in consideration the voltage drop because of wire resistance in the cables when fully loaded.
Ohms Law comes into effect here. That is why using PSU with 20 ga. wire is not a good idea either. This is why I use a dedicated seperate cable line from the power supply of 16 or 14 ga. wires with molex connectors for power hungry cards.

Reply 17874 of 52822, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BananaBonez wrote:

That is the way it is suppose to work. It has to take in consideration the voltage drop because of wire resistance in the cables when fully loaded.
Ohms Law comes into effect here. That is why using PSU with 20 ga. wire is not a good idea either. This is why I use a dedicated seperate cable line from the power supply of 16 or 14 ga. wires with molex connectors for power hungry cards.[/quote]

6800 ultra's only pull about 150 - 175 watts. I would hardly call it "power hungry" even remotely. I've had a 3ghz northwood P4 system and a 6800 Ultra AGP in it and only see it pull like 240-260 watts total for the entire system in 3dmark (AC Side at the outlet) with some old dell power supply that pre-dated any of the "80 plus" standards.

Compare that to my overclocked R9-290X that can get up to 375-400 watts in some situations.

Reply 17875 of 52822, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BananaBonez wrote:
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:

<snip>

Ohms Law comes into effect here. That is why using PSU with 20 ga. wire is not a good idea either. This is why I use a dedicated seperate cable line from the power supply of 16 or 14 ga. wires with molex connectors for power hungry cards.

I use a Corsair CX 430W (not the bronze label, the crappier green label). It only has 1x power cord with 3x molex + 1 berg. Because I use a PATA -> SD Card for the OS (that requires a molex or berg), it isn't convenient to use one power cord for it and also for the GPU (if required). Therefore, I usually use a molex that is converted from a SATA power to feed the GPU.

For whatever reason, the AGP 6800U will not accept the SATA -> Molex power adapter. It would result in the BIOS stalling on POST. So I just moved the SATA -> Molex to power my PATA -> SD Card and used 2x Molex off the 1 power cord for the 6800U. So far no issues, ran a slew bunch of 3DMark tests. Only real issue was 3DMark 2003 'Nature' where it would give some weird artifacting.

Reply 17876 of 52822, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dexvx wrote:
BananaBonez wrote:
kithylin wrote:

I use a Corsair CX 430W (not the bronze label, the crappier green label). It only has 1x power cord with 3x molex + 1 berg. Because I use a PATA -> SD Card for the OS (that requires a molex or berg), it isn't convenient to use one power cord for it and also for the GPU (if required). Therefore, I usually use a molex that is converted from a SATA power to feed the GPU.

For whatever reason, the AGP 6800U will not accept the SATA -> Molex power adapter. It would result in the BIOS stalling on POST. So I just moved the SATA -> Molex to power my PATA -> SD Card and used 2x Molex off the 1 power cord for the 6800U. So far no issues, ran a slew bunch of 3DMark tests. Only real issue was 3DMark 2003 'Nature' where it would give some weird artifacting.

It DOES NOT MATTER how many molex connectors you use, 1, 2, 4, or 10. If they are all connected to 1 yellow wire (12v) going back to the PSU circuit board that 1 single yellow wire has to carry the current load plus how many black (Ground) wires to distribute the load.
The artifacting is a sign that your power is marginal and not keeping up with the demand that the VGA card is requiring when it is pushed hard during that test.

Reply 17877 of 52822, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
BananaBonez wrote:

6800 ultra's only pull about 150 - 175 watts. I would hardly call it "power hungry" even remotely. I've had a 3ghz northwood P4 system and a 6800 Ultra AGP in it and only see it pull like 240-260 watts total for the entire system in 3dmark (AC Side at the outlet) with some old dell power supply that pre-dated any of the "80 plus" standards.

Compare that to my overclocked R9-290X that can get up to 375-400 watts in some situations.[/quote]
Consider this: using just 0.10 ohms resistance in cable that includes the yellow and black wires for just the +12v side and at least 10 amps pull gives you a 1 volt drop at the card connector. Ohms Law Voltage drop=Current times the Resistance. I would not take too many amps or too much wire resistance to cause power problems.

Reply 17878 of 52822, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:

<snip>

kithylin if you look up the power requirements for that VGA card it states NOT to use two molex from one cable but use one molex from one cable AND one molex from another seperate cable. That way the voltage drop is kept to a minimum. Most PSU from those days had no more than 18ga. wiring going to the connectors. This caused a lot of problems for people that had "power hungry" VGA cards.

Reply 17879 of 52822, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BananaBonez wrote:
dexvx wrote:

It DOES NOT MATTER how many molex connectors you use, 1, 2, 4, or 10. If they are all connected to 1 yellow wire (12v) going back to the PSU circuit board that 1 single yellow wire has to carry the current load plus how many black (Ground) wires to distribute the load.
The artifacting is a sign that your power is marginal and not keeping up with the demand that the VGA card is requiring when it is pushed hard during that test.

Although I haven't opened up my PSU, I'm reasonably sure the SATA (1 cable) and the 3x Molex (another cable) are using different wires going back to the PSU.

In my situation, using 2x Molex (1 cable) works better than 2x Molex (2 cables, one native SATA and one native Molex). Using 2x Molex (1 cable), I can boot into Windows and run 3DMark tests without artifacting. When using 2x Molex (2 cables), I could not get post BIOS POST screen. So my behavior seems to be the opposite of what is recommended.