Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18020 of 52864, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slaventus86 wrote:
Not sure if it is retro, but it is not modern though (2009-2010). After years of searching I've finally found it: […]
Show full quote

Not sure if it is retro, but it is not modern though (2009-2010). After years of searching I've finally found it:

LRB1-front-150x150.jpg LRB1-back1-150x150.jpg LRB1-nude-150x150.jpg LRB1-cooling-system-150x150.jpg
LRB1-close-view-150x150.jpg LRB1-connectors-150x150.jpg LRB1-fan-150x150.jpg

Intel Larrabee!

This is Intel LRB1 "Aubrey Isle" - Knights Ferry card with 2 GB RAM and 32 cores (probably). Will test it tomorrow.

x86 GPU. Theoretically these have the ability to adapt to new standard so in theory with a team of developers creating new drives and firmware it could support the latest shader model ETC. Unfortunately they scrapped the cards as (presumably) performance ended up being far below par.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18022 of 52864, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I have seen those Alliance Semiconductor PCI graphics cards in the past,basically noone would know what these were and they didn't seem very special back then. I might have one stored away, but I'm not even sure I took the ones I found. It probably has something like 1MB or 2MB of memory.

Looks like the card has MPEG-1 video acceleration:

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item … -promotion-3210

Reply 18023 of 52864, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Slaventus86 wrote:

Not sure if it is retro, but it is not modern though (2009-2010). After years of searching I've finally found it:

Intel Larrabee!

This is Intel LRB1 "Aubrey Isle" - Knights Ferry card with 2 GB RAM and 32 cores (probably). Will test it tomorrow.

I have never seen an engineering sample of a Larrabee, pretty impressive stuff! Do you have drivers for it?

Please let us know what it can do, I'm really curious, I remember reading all about Larrabee back in 2008-2009 and being quite perplexed when they cancelled it. I really thought Intel would become a big contender at the time.

Reply 18024 of 52864, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
That's a very nice find! […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:
-snip-

That's a very nice find!

Your AT motherboard is probably some Intel Batman board, judging from the layout of the PCI and ISA slots. Mine didn't have any cache on the motherboard though. The case had me presume the contents had a good chance to contain 486 stuff, but this is close to it (came very quickly after s4). This may be s5 instead of s7.

<snip>

It is exactly the same type of board I got 2 years ago 😁 Identify this Socket 5 board (Intel?) So now I have two of them with bad, soldered on Dallas RTC's 🙁

1982 to 2001

Reply 18025 of 52864, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
That's a very nice find! […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:
-snip-

That's a very nice find!

Your AT motherboard is probably some Intel Batman board, judging from the layout of the PCI and ISA slots. Mine didn't have any cache on the motherboard though. The case had me presume the contents had a good chance to contain 486 stuff, but this is close to it (came very quickly after s4). This may be s5 instead of s7.

<snip>

It is exactly the same type of board I got 2 years ago 😁 Identify this Socket 5 board (Intel?) So now I have two of them with bad, soldered on Dallas RTC's 🙁

Interesting, I thought Batman was Socket 4 only. My Dell Dimension XPS P60 board layout looks very much like @Cyrix200+, but it is a socket 4 and chipset is 430LX.

Reply 18026 of 52864, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Slaventus86 wrote:

This is a prototype card, such cards were send to some chosen developers. This project was later transformed into Xeon Phi cards, though LRB2, or Knights Corner, still does have texture units, but the video output connectors were missing similar to some nVidia Tesla cards.

I remember reading comments that a dev who had one of these from back in the day complaining about the drivers, it would run some games but the drivers practically killed the project. I wish that Intel had gone through with it and maybe it could have had a decent shot at least as a multi use card.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18027 of 52864, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got some new motherboards:

2x P5A-B
Gigabyte GA-5AX v 4.1 (obsługuje plusy)
Gigabyte GA-586STX 2 na SIS (bardzo się z niej cieszę)
MSI MS5169 v 4.0

Does this MSI works with K6 plus CPU's?

Attachments

• Batyra_new_mobos.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_new_mobos.jpg
    File size
    890.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18028 of 52864, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
Just got some new motherboards: […]
Show full quote

2x P5A-B
MSI MS5169 v 4.0

Nice boards! according to this http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm the MSI should work with k6+ cpu's.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18029 of 52864, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this with my most recent purchase. Can anybody identify it? I've never heard of a dual VGA ISA card before. Model number doesn't find anything at all.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    Filename
    photo (2).JPG
    File size
    2.17 MiB
    Views
    File license

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18030 of 52864, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xplus93 wrote:

Got this with my most recent purchase. Can anybody identify it? I've never heard of a dual VGA ISA card before. Model number doesn't find anything at all.

Judging by its looks it's just two cirrus logic cards on one pcb. Should be cool to try out doom on it.

Reply 18031 of 52864, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
Batyra wrote:
Just got some new motherboards: […]
Show full quote

2x P5A-B
MSI MS5169 v 4.0

Nice boards! according to this http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm the MSI should work with k6+ cpu's.

Thanks! This is the website I was looking for.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18032 of 52864, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
Interesting, I thought Batman was Socket 4 only. My Dell Dimension XPS P60 board layout looks very much like @Cyrix200+, but it […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:

-snip-

Tetrium wrote:

That's a very nice find!

<snip>

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Interesting, I thought Batman was Socket 4 only. My Dell Dimension XPS P60 board layout looks very much like @Cyrix200+, but it is a socket 4 and chipset is 430LX.

I think you are correct. It being an Intel made socket 5 board related to Intel's "Batman" (which was socket 4 (I know cause I have 2 of those)) was basically an educated guess based on the pics I saw. In the thread Cyrix200+ dug up, it's stated it's a Plato board.
My apologies for sounding confusing.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18033 of 52864, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:

It's just a standard dual-head VGA card. They're not that uncommon and were mass produced a lot. They're mainly for professional people as these cards were the only way to have "Extended desktop" of two monitors in windows originally. Later cards like Radeon and GeForce had it built in and supported it via drivers even in Win98se. I've used 2 x 1080p screens in extended desktop before with a 6800 ultra in Win98se.

Some AGP cards could do this too. Usually most of the dual-head GPU's were from Matrox though, they were sort of famous for it, so it is kind of rare to see one that's not Matrox.

Reply 18034 of 52864, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an interesting pickup today.

Nvidia review sample GeForce FX5800 Ultra (the original leaf blower). Came in the tin can thing. Looks almost unused, virtually no dust in the blower compartment. Put it in the system, and can confirm it sounds really loud. Even on idle, its a high pitched hum, similar but louder than my regular Asus FX5800. Ran the gamut of 3DMark tests on it and pretty flawless, except some hiccups in 3DMark 2000 for whatever reason. Performance on slightly better than my Quadro FX 3000 (FX 5900).

Edit: Seems to be a discrepancy between GPU-Z and wikipedia. GPU-Z says fill rate is 2.0 GT/s, but wikipedia says it should be 4.0 GT/s.

vCEjtwK.jpg

X6iyheq.jpg

XX7THkv.png

Reply 18035 of 52864, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/X6iyheq.jpg […]
Show full quote

X6iyheq.jpg

Is that UV reative plastic? I bet it looks sweet in a case with lights.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18036 of 52864, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

Is that UV reative plastic? I bet it looks sweet in a case with lights.

No idea (I don't have any UV case lights anymore, unfortunately... wow that brings back memories). I remember when the FX5800 Ultra reviews came out, the most distinctive thing I remembered was the neon green leaf blower. I think in many ways, this card was a harbinger of things to come. More external power to the video card (although 9700 used a Berg), double slot coolers, and in general more thought given to video card cooling. No longer will just a dinky metal cooler be sufficient.

Reply 18038 of 52864, by FluffyBunnyFeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pick these up at a e-waste recycling place today.

matrox top 2.jpg
Filename
matrox top 2.jpg
File size
526.67 KiB
Views
File license
matrox 2-1.jpg
Filename
matrox 2-1.jpg
File size
540.89 KiB
Views
File license

Matrox Hiper-VGA with a Matrox Marvel/B (MM/LC). From what little info that I could find, the Hiper-VGA board is a 1mb vga card and the Marvel/B (MM/LC) is a video/sound board that supported XVGA. They both have the standard 15-pin vga connector but the Marvel/B also has a 25-pin connector.

And I also picked up this NEC Disk Drive...

hd side.jpg
Filename
hd side.jpg
File size
229.97 KiB
Views
File license
hd bck 2.jpg
Filename
hd bck 2.jpg
File size
393.5 KiB
Views
File license
hd top 2.jpg
Filename
hd top 2.jpg
File size
3.11 MiB
Views
File license

Weighing in around 40 lbs. and only able to store 167mb of data, this SMD drive will crush any puny little girly man 3.5" drive that gets in it's way! 🤣

Reply 18039 of 52864, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Let me know when you won't to get rid of that card

I'm surprised you who has owned everything from a GF256 to a V6 6k doesn't already have one. I knew they were rare but I didn't think they were that rare.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction