Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18140 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
martin939 wrote:

Do we have classifieds section on this forum? I need a "5.25 drive to put in my PC so I can copy stuff to my 5155 😊

VOGONS is no marketplace!

Reply 18141 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
martin939 wrote:

Do we have classifieds section on this forum? I need a "5.25 drive to put in my PC so I can copy stuff to my 5155 😊

There might be some on eBay or Amibay available, and selling, trading, or buying items on this site is prohibited since this site is only for showing hardware, games, memorabilia, and beta testing programs, drivers, and so on that are made by the fellow VOGONers on this site from 8-bit computers to 16/32-bit computers (Commodore 64, Amiga, MS-DOS, Mac, and so on). Just as a heads up.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18142 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just got a audiotrak prodigy hd2 VIA envy sound card, HR-01 heatink with 423 mounts and a 1.9ghz 423 p4.

All this recent buying and I still have a little left over from what I sold out of my dual 1366 system.

EDIT:
And yes I'm replacing a dual 1366 system with a 423 system.

Reply 18143 of 52813, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Batyra, may I ask how much did that chip set you back?

It was about 60Euro for both. Of course mobile one was more expensive...

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18144 of 52813, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got GeForce4 - 8X Ti4200 Ver.1.0.
It's a weird one, has 2 VGA ports, S-out and AV-out ports. I'm going to put it into my nforce2 AthlonXP rig for now.
What drivers version would you recommend ? Nvidia official website the oldest available are for GeForce5 FX series and up.

Also when you run benchmark 3DMark00/01, you run it at 1024x768x16 mode or other?

Reply 18145 of 52813, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
voivod wrote:

Nvidia official website the oldest available are for GeForce5 FX series and up.

Also when you run benchmark 3DMark00/01, you run it at 1024x768x16 mode or other?

Go to Nvidia legacy drivers. They have drivers all the way to NV3 (Riva 128). Personally, I run in 16 and 32 bit color as I like to compare to other cards.

I saw this interesting sound card today. Looks like Media Vision Thunderboard? I also saw a Diamond Monster (original) with 2 MB WaveTable header and an Ensoniq Vivo 4016 (I believe), complete with original manual and 5-6 floppy disks. Are any of the ones I mentioned worth getting?

Does the Diamond Monster WaveTable header work in other sound cards?

iwxxMu9.jpg

Reply 18146 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Batyra, may I ask how much did that chip set you back?

It was about 60Euro for both. Of course mobile one was more expensive...

I noticed (just went ahead and checked some of the prices these are being sold for). Are you gonna be using it or is it just for collecting purposes?
If you ever decide to build a rig around it, I'd be interested in your experiences with that chip 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18147 of 52813, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so this is the hunt for today
i paid today $10 dollars for the combo, for these 2 cards that i haven´t seen in YEARS!
both working, just the fan giving a lot of noise.

1 3DBLASTER BANSHEE , CT6810 wow soundblaster used to kick ass in the 90s
1 3DBLASTER TNT2 ULTRA , CT6750

The tnt2 ultra is so rare, i always wanted one, but i only saw one diamond viper v770 for sale at 50 dollars and i would never pay that. so today i got my tnt2 ultra finally.
can anyone explain what are the top pins on the tnt2 card for ? on one card it is like 26 pins and on the other is like 24 pins

hdv6bX.jpg

Reply 18148 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pabloz wrote:
so this is the hunt for today i paid today $10 dollars for the combo, for these 2 cards that i haven´t seen in YEARS! both wor […]
Show full quote

so this is the hunt for today
i paid today $10 dollars for the combo, for these 2 cards that i haven´t seen in YEARS!
both working, just the fan giving a lot of noise.

1 3DBLASTER BANSHEE , CT6810 wow soundblaster used to kick ass in the 90s
1 3DBLASTER TNT2 ULTRA , CT6750

The tnt2 ultra is so rare, i always wanted one, but i only saw one diamond viper v770 for sale at 50 dollars and i would never pay that. so today i got my tnt2 ultra finally.
can anyone explain what are the top pins on the tnt2 card for ? on one card it is like 26 pins and on the other is like 24 pins

hdv6bX.jpg

The headers on the top portion of the cards are VESA feature connectors for hooking up hardware encoders, such as an MPEG encoder card so that way it doesn't put a lot of strain on the video hardware.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18149 of 52813, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Where is that new avatar from? You had a less animated one that was less distracting not too long ago. 😐

How were you charging these batteries for 6 minutes so fast?

It's a very old avatar I've had for some 9 years elsewhere, I just didn't put it on vogons because I wasn't sure I wanted everyone here to know I'm a furry.. but there's other furs here on the site now so figured it's okay now. I haven't put it on vogons also because I couldn't figure out how to get it resized down to vogons site avatar requirements without destroying it. Finally one of my friends stepped in for me.

You got me curious I'm going to try and test upload an old school game avatar to see how it turns out. Was that an animated gif format you uploaded for the avatar? What program were you using to get the animated head?

And for charging: http://charger.nitecore.com/CHARGER/D/D4/

You can find em on ebay for $25 brand new. These chargers are awesome. One of em can push 750ma through 2 cells at the same time, or 350ma between 4 (automatic mode). You can also cycle through and manually specify charge rates for each individual cell being charged down to 250ma or 175ma to slow charge some and fast charge others at the same time. And it counts up and stores the total charge time taken for all cells. When done you can press a button to cycle through and see how long each cell took to reach full charge. They're fantastic chargers. I have a pair of them (2), and for really speedy charging of a set of 4, I'll put 2 per charger and push all 4 up at 750ma at the same time, if I have healthy cells that I know can take it without bursting. They automatically stop charging and just keep the display on for time logging when the charge is done to prevent overcharging. Also one of the special unique features of this device is you can insert multiple different cells of different voltages (like 18650 2.7v and 1.2v NiMh, and 1.5v NiCad) all at the same time and it will detect and charge them all at different voltages and rates together automatically.

And a 1000mah cell @ 750ma charge current takes about 6-10 mins to full charge from almost dead.

You had me thinking about that internal PC speaker moronic idea as you called it. Usually 4 AA rechargeable will be about 1.2V x 4 = 4.8V. I looked up the PC internal speaker Voltage specs and it seems to be between 0V to 5VDC. When the PC speaker is idle it should deliver a much lower current. To me it seemed somewhat feasible to recharge your batteries considering no other power source except maybe the molex would be possible. Since the 486 was Pre USB days I guess it could be possible to tap into that PC speaker header for a temporary energy source since you already hooked it up using the 4pin header from a PC speaker. The only thing would be making sure the polarity was correct when wiring it to the battery pack.

As for the charger there was one on Amazon that I've been meaning to purchase for a long while.
La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger.
https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC10 … tery+charger+AA

I've been waiting for the price drop and so far just using a regular Energizer wall charger for the time being but the one above has monitoring for each battery and works with Eneloops that get you around 2000 charge cycles per battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ17MCA4BA … ywords=Eneloops

Reply 18150 of 52813, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really retro hardware this time, but the local Goodwill rejuvenated my faith a bit with a Panasonic 50" 720p plasma and an Onkyo TX-SR806.

The HDTV was $70 and I'm running really tight, so I had to leave it, even if the seemingly low 720p res would be pretty much perfect for every HD-capable console up to the Wii U. (50" would even outdo every other display we have in the house!) However, I took that receiver home for $20, figuring it would be a significant enough upgrade from my stepfather's old Onkyo TX-SV515PRO in the living room just for having HDMI ports.

It works, all right. Front left/right channels are loud and clear. Even the output on the HDMI board seems to work fine, no red dots or anything, which is a good sign since the HDMI board in this model is rather notorious for failure, requiring an extensive recap.

I haven't had an opportunity to really put it through its paces in the living room yet, but to see a $1,099 MSRP receiver at a thrift store nine years later for $20 in working order? Yeah, I actually lucked out this time.

Oh, and speaking of VESA feature connectors up there, someone needs to document which cards will and won't work with the Forte VFX1 VIP card, which requires said feature connector. There was a YouTube video I stumbled upon at one point that suggested a lot of later AGP cards were actually too modern and wouldn't work with the VFX1 at all despite still keeping the VESA feature connector. I suppose that's what happens when they decide to use the worst possible interfaces from a longevity standpoint and didn't see the rise of 3dfx coming.

Reply 18151 of 52813, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.2dehands.be/computer-game-console … tm_content=link

8 graphics cards from 1998 to 200X, all working according to the seller.

AGP SAPHIRE HD 3650
agp sparkle geforce fx5900xt
agp siluro titanium 4200
agp m64
agp tnt2 m64
agp winfast titanium ti4600
agp unidentified
agp ati radeon 9600 pro

I'm especially interested in the Geforce 4 ti4600 because it's just about the best AGP 4x 3D card you can get for my PIII600. For €25 it's a steal.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 18152 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
95DosBox wrote:
kithylin wrote:

It's a very old avatar I've had for some 9 years elsewhere, I just didn't put it on vogons because I wasn't sure I wanted everyone here to know I'm a furry.. but there's other furs here on the site now so figured it's okay now. I haven't put it on vogons also because I couldn't figure out how to get it resized down to vogons site avatar requirements without destroying it. Finally one of my friends stepped in for me.

You got me curious I'm going to try and test upload an old school game avatar to see how it turns out. Was that an animated gif format you uploaded for the avatar? What program were you using to get the animated head?

It's a very old avatar. I did not create it, it was a gift for me from a friend. I have no idea how they did it.

Reply 18153 of 52813, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

Yes it does but that 2MB DB is pretty good I think - a nice, dirty sound for games like DOOM, etc.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18154 of 52813, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NamelessPlayer wrote:

However, I took that receiver home for $20, figuring it would be a significant enough upgrade from my stepfather's old Onkyo TX-SV515PRO in the living room just for having HDMI ports.

It works, all right. Front left/right channels are loud and clear. Even the output on the HDMI board seems to work fine, no red dots or anything, which is a good sign since the HDMI board in this model is rather notorious for failure, requiring an extensive recap.

I haven't had an opportunity to really put it through its paces in the living room yet, but to see a $1,099 MSRP receiver at a thrift store nine years later for $20 in working order? Yeah, I actually lucked out this time.

Nice! That's even more lucky than my $20 (Canadian) Yamaha RX-V757.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18155 of 52813, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

I saw this interesting sound card today. Looks like Media Vision Thunderboard? I also saw a Diamond Monster (original) with 2 MB WaveTable header and an Ensoniq Vivo 4016 (I believe), complete with original manual and 5-6 floppy disks. Are any of the ones I mentioned worth getting?

That is the Thunderboard. Hope you can get it for a nice price!

Diamond Wavetable board can be used on other sound cards, I installed and used mine on PAS16 & Terratec sound cards with no problems.

Reply 18156 of 52813, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a new old stock GA-6VTXE. Was relatively pricey but I've been wanting one for a while (or at least a Tualatin capable board with an ISA slot). Hopefully all works well since I've got a a3d 2.0 enabled sound card here too.

Reply 18157 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

More parts for my SK423 build.
I got a 450w SPI PSU for the system. All I need now is a DVD drive that looks right in the system and a few mosfet sinks. Maybe a NB heatsink if the stock one it too tall for the cpu heatsink. Believe or not I found a Thermalright HR-01 423 mounts. 😲

Reply 18158 of 52813, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Yes it does but that 2MB DB is pretty good I think - a nice, dirty sound for games like DOOM, etc.

So dirty sound is good sound? 😲

JidaiGeki wrote:
dexvx wrote:

That is the Thunderboard. Hope you can get it for a nice price!

Diamond Wavetable board can be used on other sound cards, I installed and used mine on PAS16 & Terratec sound cards with no problems.

Honestly, I have no clue what to do with an 8 bit isa sound card (that's 286 era?). At least the wave-table header is useful in many situations.

Reply 18159 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought my first GUS clone.. or rather, made by STB for Compaq Interwave based card.

This is the first GUS card I will have ever laid hands on once it gets here.

I downloaded the super small Compaq driver update for this card. The complete driver package seems to be unavailable.

I looked on vogonsdrivers but didn't see anything specifically for this card. What drivers will work properly with it? I saw mention that I may need to flash the firmware to get it to work with the regular GUS drivers.

Sellers picture:
906754_sl1600_460x238.jpg

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK