Reply 18200 of 52832, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
Funny coincidence. I also just recently received a V3 3000 AGP. […]
Show full quote

Funny coincidence. I also just recently received a V3 3000 AGP.

1230oaex.jpg

That looks great! Love it! Hopefully after you are done with all of those years from now you donate those to a museum. I donate most of my stuff to The Strong in Rochester, NY who have a large research center most anyone can schedule time at. Great place. Many old PC game developers donate their development docs and rare prototypes, etc. to this place.

http://www.museumofplay.org/about/icheg

Reply 18201 of 52832, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
blurks wrote:
Funny coincidence. I also just recently received a V3 3000 AGP. […]
Show full quote

Funny coincidence. I also just recently received a V3 3000 AGP.

1230oaex.jpg

That looks great! Love it! Hopefully after you are done with all of those years from now you donate those to a museum. I donate most of my stuff to The Strong in Rochester, NY who have a large research center most anyone can schedule time at. Great place. Many old PC game developers donate their development docs and rare prototypes, etc. to this place.

http://www.museumofplay.org/about/icheg

I know I may sound like a hypocrite, but there is certainly enough to go around so that private collectors can still have their fun. As long as they aren't hermits and let other people see their collections from time to time.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18202 of 52832, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Finally got myself a Chieftec Dragon!! That thing must weigh a ton!! 😁

I have an Antec of the same design, but it's the one without a door and a bit shorter. I love the design and yes, you can safely sit on them 😀. The only nasty part was the fan cages that are absolute crap.

Reply 18203 of 52832, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red_avatar wrote:

I've been wondering: is there actually an advantage over using a Sound Blaster Pro instead of a SB16? I thought the compatibility was practically 100%? Having never owned a SB Pro I was just curious.

I've found with some testing that cards before the 16 are less compatible with faster machines. DSP 4 seems to have made a difference, enough that in my P4 machine there are zero issues with legitimate Sound Blaster cards, but my Pro 2 and earler cards all stutter (they are DSP 3 and lower.)

I could be attaching something meaningful to DSP that makes it seem more important than it is, though, and I'd love for someone with more intimate knowledge to chime in.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 18204 of 52832, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ordered a Dell Optiplex GX150 mini-tower a few days ago.

The specifications are: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, 512MB PC-133 SDRAM, an unknown video card which will most likely be replaced by an ATI Radeon card of some sort, and a Sound Blaster Live!, I have a 40GB hard drive that I plan on putting in it, should be good enough for Windows 9x games up to 2001.

More to come when it arrives, I know I've been after this specific model for years but haven't had an excuse to get one until now.

Reply 18205 of 52832, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, today I bought a IBM IntelliStation M Pro Type 6868-5AG (Dual P3-800, 768MB in RDRAM, Broken 15GB IBM IDE HDD, 3xIBM 36GB SCSI HDD, Matrox G450 Dual Head, Adaptec SCSI Card, Firewire PCI Card and two BIG-ASS PCI cards for some non linear video editing Sony App). It came with original Manuals and Restore CD's, and apart from the 15GB IBM HDD is all working and with a brand new Samsung 80GB HDD. 40lb+ of Hardware.

As a bonus, seller added a RAID SCSI mini tower with 4 72GB SCSI HDDs (not sure on capacity).

I'll probably open a thread about it later on. Now, I need to go learn me some SCSI.

Reply 18206 of 52832, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xeon3d wrote:

Well, today I bought a IBM IntelliStation M Pro Type 6868-5AG (Dual P3-800, 768MB in RDRAM, Broken 15GB IBM IDE HDD, 3xIBM 36GB SCSI HDD, Matrox G450 Dual Head, Adaptec SCSI Card, Firewire PCI Card and two BIG-ASS PCI cards for some non linear video editing Sony App). It came with original Manuals and Restore CD's, and apart from the 15GB IBM HDD is all working and with a brand new Samsung 80GB HDD. 40lb+ of Hardware.

As a bonus, seller added a RAID SCSI mini tower with 4 72GB SCSI HDDs (not sure on capacity).

I'll probably open a thread about it later on. Now, I need to go learn me some SCSI.

pics!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18207 of 52832, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
xeon3d wrote:

pics!

As i've said before, *sploosh*. Original manuals, CDs, etc..... I'm not an IBM person, but if that were a dell precision I would be so jelly.

Reply 18208 of 52832, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few things came in the mail today.

The posting was for a KT266PRO motherboard in original box with some other stuff.

Well, the pics showed it was nothing close to that.

What it was...
1. Some random Socket 7 board, model 5TDM M101, with 0 jumper configuration whatsoever. The jumpers/switches are missing. It is hard locked to 66Mhz and 1.5/3.5 multiplier. I looked up the clock genrator and it supports up to 83Mhz and also has a 75Mhz and 83Mhz setting that supports asynchronous PCI speed of 32Mhz.
2. The CPU ended up being a Pentium 233MMX which is something I was wanting for a build
3. A standard Socket 7 heatsink/fan
4. A Genoa Systems Phantom 3D (S3 Virge 4MB PCI video card). Good luck even finding a pic of this card. All I could really find was some original pricing information about how it was way overpriced compared to faster stuff that was available at the same time.
4. An Opti based USB PCI card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18209 of 52832, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got to the 486 I picked up a week ago. It does NOT post. I'm going to assume because of leaky battery.

It's a Northwest Micro with an Asus ISA-486SV2 and a 486SX.
Some highlights: VLB IDE/Floppy, Diamond Stealth 24 VLB (but for some reason, it's not an S3 chip?), Media Vision Pro Audio 1993, Seagate ST 225

Full album here:
http://imgur.com/a/fxZC1

Why is there an ISA IDE/Floppy expansion when there is already a VLB?
rjGa2JM.jpg

Why doesn't this have a S3 chip markings?
jUo4RUr.jpg

Media Vision Pro Audio
Ty6kbDS.jpg

Leaky battery. I don't see any major damage this side or reverse. May pull the trigger on a Hakko 888 this weekend
cUaFclD.jpg

Reply 18210 of 52832, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Finally got to the 486 I picked up a week ago. It does NOT post. I'm going to assume because of leaky battery. […]
Show full quote

Finally got to the 486 I picked up a week ago. It does NOT post. I'm going to assume because of leaky battery.

Some highlights: VLB IDE/Floppy, Diamond Stealth 24 VLB (but for some reason, it's not an S3 chip?), Media Vision Pro Audio 1993, Seagate ST 225

Full album here:

rjGa2JM.jpg

jUo4RUr.jpg

Media Vision Pro Audio
Ty6kbDS.jpg

Leaky battery. I don't see any major damage this side or reverse. May pull the trigger on a Hakko 888 this weekend
cUaFclD.jpg

Just a different S3 logo. Personally I like that one better.

Also, if you have the funds I would highly recommend it. It is so choice. The FX-888 is amazing.

Reply 18211 of 52832, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I get it... There's like 3x S's. And then a 3 on that logo. So it's like 3S3.

Been waiting for one of those eBay $15 off $75 coupons to get the Hakko. The corrosion doesn't seem that bad. Can I use an alcohol wipe in the meantime?

Reply 18212 of 52832, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

White vinegar is your friend with battery acid. I had a very small digital recorder that had important audio on it, but died because of a battery leak. Soaked the effected section of the main board, which was very small, in vinegar overnight and the battery acid dissolved, cleaned it up and the recorder worked flawlessly afterwards. Clip the battery out and then I would just wipe the effected area with vinegar and make sure it all comes up. I use a magnifying glass. Clean up the vinegar and try it. You may have to use a toothbrush lightly to get the hard spots. Hopefully the acid didn't eat any traces.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-08-04, 00:15. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 18213 of 52832, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
Finally got to the 486 I picked up a week ago. It does NOT post. I'm going to assume because of leaky battery. […]
Show full quote

Full album here:

rjGa2JM.jpg

jUo4RUr.jpg

Media Vision Pro Audio
Ty6kbDS.jpg

cUaFclD.jpg

Looks like the clock isolator by the ISA slot and battery is missing. That can cause the system to not POST, or just a DOS BIOS chip.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18214 of 52832, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Looks like the clock isolator by the ISA slot and battery is missing. That can cause the system to not POST, or just a DOS BIOS chip.

If you are referring to that empty solder spot, I think that's supposed be there. Here's a shot at someone else's ISA-486SV2. Unless I totally misunderstood what you meant.

ASUS_ISA-486SV2.jpg

Reply 18215 of 52832, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't type a response afterwards. The post is listed below this one.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-08-04, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18216 of 52832, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
If you are referring to that empty solder spot, I think that's supposed be there. Here's a shot at someone else's ISA-486SV2. Un […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

If you are referring to that empty solder spot, I think that's supposed be there. Here's a shot at someone else's ISA-486SV2. Unless I totally misunderstood what you meant.

ASUS_ISA-486SV2.jpg

Yup, that's the one.

Reply 18217 of 52832, by toddfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the first couple parts in this week to I guess officially kick off my first 486 build! Both new in box, too.

The case is apparently a Topower 730DF, according to the box it shipped in. I'm still trying to confirm that though, along with the manufacture date, if anybody has any info.

HKEaohXl.jpg

3tf8aSUl.jpg

k0BBvwvl.jpg

I'm still researching what hardware I want to use for the rest of the 486 build, but I wanted to go ahead and snag a case so I could gawk at it for inspiration. I saw the sealed copy of Windows 3.1 for a great price too, so couldn't pass it up. My target year for the build is going to be 1993 and I'll be basing it around the DX2-66.

Reply 18218 of 52832, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
toddfx wrote:
Got the first couple parts in this week to I guess officially kick off my first 486 build! Both new in box, too. […]
Show full quote

Got the first couple parts in this week to I guess officially kick off my first 486 build! Both new in box, too.

The case is apparently a Topower 730DF, according to the box it shipped in. I'm still trying to confirm that though, along with the manufacture date, if anybody has any info.

HKEaohXl.jpg

I'm still researching what hardware I want to use for the rest of the 486 build, but I wanted to go ahead and snag a case so I could gawk at it for inspiration. I saw the sealed copy of Windows 3.1 for a great price too, so couldn't pass it up. My target year for the build is going to be 1993 and I'll be basing it around the DX2-66.

Here's my 730DF, slumming it with a couple of 08 Mac Pros ...

_DSC4056.JPG
Filename
_DSC4056.JPG
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Build date/Topower quality check date on the PSU is April 12, 1994. Guess it's not definitive as to manufacture date of the case, but when I brought mine home this was the only date I could find on it. Possible that the front fascia has a date stamp/impression on the back of it, but I didn't check. Thinking of changing the budget looking switch out, so if I do I'll check then 😉

_DSC4063.JPG
Filename
_DSC4063.JPG
File size
541.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18219 of 52832, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
toddfx wrote:
Got the first couple parts in this week to I guess officially kick off my first 486 build! Both new in box, too. […]
Show full quote

HKEaohXl.jpg

3tf8aSUl.jpg

k0BBvwvl.jpg

Mmmmmm, beautiful case. I love that style with the on/off switch right there. Who doesn't like to flip a switch, turn her on, and listen to her purr?