Topic actions

Reply 19020 of 52764, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:
boxpressed wrote:

Retail box AMD K6-2 400MHz. I've never seen one of these before.

Me neither - in fact I've never even seen a photo of a boxed K6 until now.
I wonder how many people bought these in retail kits. Seems like they were almost always sold as bare CPUs.

I did put some pics of the contents of my NIB (and now opened) K6-2/500 over here, feel free to take a look 😀

JodaMaaske wrote:

Bought a Creative CT2800 Vibra 16S + GeForce 256 DDR (Creative Annihilator Pro) for a total of 20 USD... local pickup 😎

Oh, and hi all - lurking Vogons for a long time, but only just joined yesterday.

Welcome aboard! 😀

Feel free to create a thread to show off your creations 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19021 of 52764, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a bunch of goodies at various places today. Even found a new "vintage" shop that had some computers and audio stuff, its where I picked up the vic-20 at. Unfortunately the shop owner tried to test the vic-20 and plugged it directly into the wall with out the power pack. The fuse blew, but I don't know if it survived. I have no hookups for it at this time, so it will have to wait.

uzDwXBql.jpg

Reply 19022 of 52764, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ITX motherboard (from industrial computer) with socket 479 and Pentium M 1,73. Shipper for about $10 😁 It will be base for some articles about various mobile CPUs from that era.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 19023 of 52764, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The shop keeper did.... 😮 WHAT!!!? Damn that's NOT at all an intelligent move. How stupid can one be?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19024 of 52764, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:

I'll try to test it. Do you know of any examples where it would not work properly?

I have one of those cards and it's great, but yes it will hang the system if you try and use it with Wing Commander. Gateway works A-OK though, which is what I originally got it for.

Intelligent mode MPU-401 and how it's utilised.

Yup. Can confirm it hangs when playing the WC intro.

Tried several other games like SQ3 and Monkey Island without any issues.

Reply 19025 of 52764, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I did put some pics of the contents of my NIB (and now opened) K6-2/500 over here, feel free to take a look 😀

Cool! I'll probably keep this one sealed until I get tired of looking at it. Now my curiosity about what's inside is sated.

Reply 19026 of 52764, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

The shop keeper did.... 😮 WHAT!!!? Damn that's NOT at all an intelligent move. How stupid can one be?

It's mindblowing 🤣

boxpressed wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Cool! I'll probably keep this one sealed until I get tired of looking at it. Now my curiosity about what's inside is sated.

Yw 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19027 of 52764, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanted to share some of my today acquisitions. Local flea market. 5 USD in total.

First is FIC 386-GT equipped with am386DX-40 and 128kb cache. The board works just fine. There was no baarel battery on this one.
W75nHaM.jpg?1

Second is FX-3000D board. The best thing about it is the CPU that came along with it - am386DX/DXL-40 in PGA package! The board also works. I generally don't like it being somewhere between 386 and 486 generations (it has solder points for VLB socket and may use 486 instead of 386).
aMD3Ui4.jpg?1

Reply 19028 of 52764, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veeb0rg wrote:
Found a bunch of goodies at various places today. Even found a new "vintage" shop that had some computers and audio stuff, its w […]
Show full quote

Found a bunch of goodies at various places today. Even found a new "vintage" shop that had some computers and audio stuff, its where I picked up the vic-20 at. Unfortunately the shop owner tried to test the vic-20 and plugged it directly into the wall with out the power pack. The fuse blew, but I don't know if it survived. I have no hookups for it at this time, so it will have to wait.

uzDwXBql.jpg

Oy. That sucks. BTW, you have a vintage shop that sells old equipment? Wish I had that over here. The only places that sells vintage stuff (if I'm lucky) are thrift stores and eBay.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19029 of 52764, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

First is FIC 386-GT equipped with am386DX-40 and 128kb cache. The board works just fine. There was no baarel battery on this one.

Neat, I've never seen a board that old with a VIA chipset before.

I wonder what that tiny rectangular socket at the bottom-left is for?

Reply 19030 of 52764, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's for another oscillator. You probably want it filled to use coprocessor in asynchronous mode.

One gal is also missing and a keyboard controller - as I read that's because VIA has all integrated.

What I dislike about this board is that it has ram soldered... 4mb. If any of those dip fails, it's going to be difficult to get it fixed.

BTW - this VIA thing was probably designed for 486 (see the markings). It's a disliked 486 chipset. I guess with 386 it does not matter.

Overall, I think this board is kinda weiRd.

Reply 19031 of 52764, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is this weeks haul. I have started saving all anti-static pads and bags for storage thanks to some advice from a forum member. I have not yet looked up all parts yet but I hope to find something useful. The NEC LCD3000 has the Onkyo SP-3040 Speakers but they are being recovered with new cloth mesh.
0wi7YYG.jpg
TKJsSPV.jpg
25N6jx5.jpg
GMasEfA.jpg
2nXI1il.jpg

Reply 19032 of 52764, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Groovy wrote:

I have started saving all anti-static pads and bags

I have bought some through the time on eBay. Not cheap, yet not expensive. 300x200mm bags seem to be the cheapest.

Anyway.... Nice haul you got there. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19033 of 52764, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, I am working at a Computer recycle center and most everything made before 2012 is scrapped so when I see parts that are new or in excellent condition I just ask my supervisor if I can buy them and most of the time the answer is just take it home is not worth anything anymore. I did have to pay $10.00 for the NEC 30" monitor. So far I am looking for any 3dfx Voodoo video cards based on the recommendations of other members here for my retro gaming PC. I just hate to see all these old parts go to waste. I figure I will build a decent surplus of parts and use the best and trade or sell the ones I don't need for other parts.

Reply 19034 of 52764, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Groovy wrote:

I have started saving all anti-static pads and bags

I have bought some through the time on eBay. Not cheap, yet not expensive. 300x200mm bags seem to be the cheapest.

Anyway.... Nice haul you got there. 😀

The next time I see a box of the pink bags I will save the entire box the sizes were 330x240mm (13x9.5in).

Reply 19035 of 52764, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just buy anti-static bags in bulk from eBay. I also nab some of the better ones at work (sshhhh).

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I've been quite busy with IRL. Work has started picking up and will be pretty busy until our sh1t project (literally, it's poorly planned and just sh1t) gets done.

Anyways...

NV10, GeForce 256 DDR 64MB! It can POST (identifies as GeForce 256 64MB). Have not tried 3D yet. Fan is totally dead. Unfortunately, there is some banding on the VGA connector. I tried finding a DVI > VGA connector, but it appears to be DVI-D?

rE8M9CV.jpg

ABmb0j2.jpg

Asus P3C-D (from HP Kayak XM600). I literally cannot get this guy to POST. System fan, gpu fan, and cpu fan spins, but no POST. I'm using 3x 256MB PC800 RDRAM with a P3-450 Katmai and a CPU terminator that works on the below Asus P2B-DS board. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I might have to toss it.

tVX8Zlz.jpg

Asus P2B-DS. This is a pre-Coppermine rev, so up to Katmai only. Got it at the local goodwill.

0zxKWhs.jpg

Intel PR440FX. Actually got this from xplus93. Had some driver issues with NT4, but 2000 Pro seems okay. Trying to find a matching heatsink/fan setup.

eYdHh6m.jpg

Reply 19038 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Groovy wrote:
Here is this weeks haul. I have started saving all anti-static pads and bags for storage thanks to some advice from a forum memb […]
Show full quote

Here is this weeks haul. I have started saving all anti-static pads and bags for storage thanks to some advice from a forum member. I have not yet looked up all parts yet but I hope to find something useful. The NEC LCD3000 has the Onkyo SP-3040 Speakers but they are being recovered with new cloth mesh.
0wi7YYG.jpg
TKJsSPV.jpg
25N6jx5.jpg
GMasEfA.jpg
2nXI1il.jpg

2 Quadro 2/GF2 Ultras and Kyro Card?

Nice. What are those other cards though? I can only identify a few and my visual identification skills aren't that bad.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19039 of 52764, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, are those ISA cards Mach32 or Mach64?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2