Bancho wrote:
2 nice parts arrived today. […]
Show full quote

2 nice parts arrived today.

K6 III+ 450 CPU for my Time Machine build

mEtIhYCl.jpg

Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D I38-MMSN846

kAZBQkhl.jpg

Nice sound card. OPL3 and Wavetable Daughterboard support is awesome.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19462 of 53082, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

crazy experience today i bought for $10 dollars two soundcards pci

a montego II turtle beach
a crystal card

montego II
when i saw the chip.... no vortex2!!!???just vortex
but it shows AU8830

crazy crazy

this is madness

what is this? vortex 1 or vortex2 ??

IMG_20171010_190006.jpg

IMG_20171010_190006_20171010192408354.jpg

Reply 19464 of 53082, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this 486 motherboard cpu and ram combo with an s3 virge thrown in for measure for $35.. Did I overpay?

x5_489668577ayr.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19465 of 53082, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Got this 486 motherboard cpu and ram combo with an s3 virge thrown in for measure for $35.. Did I overpay? […]
Show full quote

Got this 486 motherboard cpu and ram combo with an s3 virge thrown in for measure for $35.. Did I overpay?

x5_489668577ayr.jpg

I dont know anything about boards from this era, but I would say no. Being able to play with a (mostly) ISA system for that price seems good... and in my brief search it seems like those DX4 chips are a bit less common.

Also, the Virge cards are nice for DOS.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 19466 of 53082, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having purchased my 486 DX2 and having tried to rid it of corrosion around the battery area, I can't help thinking this may be a losing battle. Some traces are worn. I've used white vinegar and then distilled water to clean. I have an electrical engineer friend who will take a look and salve. And then install the coin battery holder and diode if successful.

In the meantime, an unintentional Plan-B.

I've purchased an 'AT', Socket 5? motherboard that will fit in the case. It has a 'WinChip' 180 CPU included with heatsink and fan.

I can use the the RAM, PSU, SB16 Value and Ethernet card. I have a PCI S3 card for visuals. Not quite a DX2, but for £20 on Ebay, I'm happy with that.

Reply 19467 of 53082, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe Winchips are Socket 7 processors, but are basically 486s on steroids..

Reply 19468 of 53082, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I believe Winchips are Socket 7 processors, but are basically 486s on steroids..

All the more reason to love them, right 😀 I would love to have one.

1982 to 2001

Reply 19469 of 53082, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Never saw one in the wild, but I've seen mainboards with them soldered on, like the U5SX motherboard I have and use as a 486 system. The U5SX CPUs are also supposedly around as installable discrete CPUs, but I have yet to see one myself.

Reply 19470 of 53082, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, I do have some standalone ceramic U5SX UMC "Green" CPUs, even a full system built around it, with Win95 installed (slow!). Not sure what they are good for, though.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 19471 of 53082, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Taking a gamble on this ThinkPad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152717333136

I have charger + hard drive for it

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 19472 of 53082, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just received this little box:

IMG_8932.jpg
Filename
IMG_8932.jpg
File size
135.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In all its Japanese glory:

IMG_8933.jpg
Filename
IMG_8933.jpg
File size
125.82 KiB
Views
File license

Includes power supply, audio cable, and serial MIDI cable with 25-pin to 9-pin adapter:

IMG_8934.jpg
Filename
IMG_8934.jpg
File size
233.1 KiB
Views
File license

The MU10 itself:

IMG_8936.jpg
Filename
IMG_8936.jpg
File size
115.06 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_8938.jpg
Filename
IMG_8938.jpg
File size
120.31 KiB
Views
File license

continued next post.

Reply 19473 of 53082, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All manuals included:

IMG_8942.jpg
Filename
IMG_8942.jpg
File size
93.59 KiB
Views
File license

One more:

IMG_8943.jpg
Filename
IMG_8943.jpg
File size
148.07 KiB
Views
File license

And all software:

Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Plus, Steinberg Cubase Lite Plus/Music Box for both IBM-AT and NEC PC-98, Yamaha Visual Arranger Demo, Yamaha SMF demo files disk:

IMG_8939.jpg
Filename
IMG_8939.jpg
File size
177.59 KiB
Views
File license

XG data disk:

IMG_8940.jpg
Filename
IMG_8940.jpg
File size
128.98 KiB
Views
File license

And Karaoke software and MU10 Power-up CD-ROM:

IMG_8941.jpg
Filename
IMG_8941.jpg
File size
216.18 KiB
Views
File license

Going by the manuals, which are in Japanese of course, most software is actually in English 😁

Reply 19474 of 53082, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
Just received this little box: […]
Show full quote

Just received this little box:

IMG_8932.jpg

In all its Japanese glory:

IMG_8933.jpg

Includes power supply, audio cable, and serial MIDI cable with 25-pin to 9-pin adapter:

IMG_8934.jpg

The MU10 itself:

IMG_8936.jpg
IMG_8938.jpg

continued next post.

Interesting unit, and it came with everything, minus the MIDI cable? That's amazing. That'll be useful for a computer that doesn't have MIDI ports, like a laptop, for example.

Reply 19475 of 53082, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:

what is this? vortex 1 or vortex2 ??

It's definitely Vortex 2.

I'd be more worried about the 2 capacitors in the bottom-right that look damaged.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19476 of 53082, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Interesting unit, and it came with everything, minus the MIDI cable? That's amazing. That'll be useful for a computer that doesn't have MIDI ports, like a laptop, for example.

Most General MIDI modules include a serial interface to connect them to a computer, but that's mostly useful for music composition. I'm not sure it actually works with DOS games, because a specific Windows driver is required.

Of course, this one can also be used with a MIDI cable...

The nice thing about this particular GM module is that it includes a 2-channel digital mixer, which allows the build-in effects to be applied to the input channels. So I can hook it up to my mini Pentium MMX via both a game port to MIDI cable and the included audio cable, play FM music from the system's onboard sound card, mixing them with MIDI sounds from the GM module, and apply effects to the resulting mix.

Reply 19477 of 53082, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
Most General MIDI modules include a serial interface to connect them to a computer, but that's mostly useful for music compositi […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

Most General MIDI modules include a serial interface to connect them to a computer, but that's mostly useful for music composition. I'm not sure it actually works with DOS games, because a specific Windows driver is required.

Of course, this one can also be used with a MIDI cable...

The nice thing about this particular GM module is that it includes a 2-channel digital mixer, which allows the build-in effects to be applied to the input channels. So I can hook it up to my mini Pentium MMX via both a game port to MIDI cable and the included audio cable, play FM music from the system's onboard sound card, mixing them with MIDI sounds from the GM module, and apply effects to the resulting mix.

Interesting. SoftMPU can be used with a MIDI box that supports the serial interface or an RS232 to MIDI adapter (not sure if that's true or not) if the unit doesn't have a serial interface for DOS games.

softmpu /sb:220 /irq:5 /mpu:330 /output:comx
-or-
softmpu /mpu:330 /output:comx

Where X is the COM number from 1-4, so in theory, that'll work within MS-DOS for games, and Windows, as you stated, needs a driver for that.

Reply 19478 of 53082, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have an Acorp 5ALI61 (ALI Aladdin V chipset based) motherboard on the way. Should be a very nice match for my K6-III+ 450 CPU I have had for years... I originally put it in an old socket 7 laptop that had weird video issues. Eventually pulled that CPU out and sent the rest of it to the curb along with some other old laptop stuff that wasn't worth my time.

Seller's pic:

Acorp.jpg
Filename
Acorp.jpg
File size
319.87 KiB
Views
File license

Got it for a bit less then the asking price.

Did a bit of research before buying it and saw somewhere that somebody said that they had one and an ASUS P5AB and thought it was better then their ASUS P5AB.

Also saw a possibly newer revision of the board (rev 5) that had a different and maybe better voltage regulation section but the asking price was too rich for my blood.. and the one I bought looked to be in somewhat better shape and cleaner.

Super Socket 7 boards are becoming crazy hard to find at a decent price.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19479 of 53082, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Never saw one in the wild, but I've seen mainboards with them soldered on, like the U5SX motherboard I have and use as a 486 system. The U5SX CPUs are also supposedly around as installable discrete CPUs, but I have yet to see one myself.

I actually have one. Haven't tested it (got it with a big lot of CPUs). I may benchmark it to see how it compares to an SX-33 (I just assumed it was a clone).

jx6HUXjl.jpg

Also, noticed this on the bottom.

ntMcrhbl.jpg?1

Either it was a sample, or maybe just for sale in Canada only?