VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21240 of 52820, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a new TEAC FD-55GDR 5.25" Floppy drive!
comp.png
The price for 5.25" drives is INSANE online! Cheapest I've found is 44 dollars, and with about 100 dollars shipping!
Bought this one in a store that had only one of these left by accident, 5 dollars 😁 It does the boot up floppy seek perfectly but I'm still waiting on my disks to arrive so I can verify its condition.
Also this Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
mouse.png
I'm not sure if its serial compatible or not; I hope it is but even if not, these are also really hard to find. this particular one I found online for 44 dollars and 25 dollars shipping. Paid 3 dollars for it at a thrift store.

Last edited by andreja6 on 2018-01-07, 07:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21241 of 52820, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome deal on the 5.25 floppy!

I just bought a room full of mysterious PC stuff for $15 with local pickup. The seller said it was 25 years worth of stuff. Probably not his prized possessions, but for $15 and a 2 hour drive I'd be very surprised if it somehow wasn't worth it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21242 of 52820, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andreja6 wrote:
I bought a new TEAC FD-55GDR 5.25" Floppy drive! https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/385467300561813514/399450985044508673/co […]
Show full quote

comp.png
The price for 5.25" drives is INSANE online! Cheapest I've found is 44 dollars, and with about 100 dollars shipping!
Bought this one in a store that had only one of these left by accident, 5 dollars 😁 It does the boot up floppy seek perfectly but I'm still waiting on my disks to arrive so I can verify its condition.
mouse.png
I'm not sure if its serial compatible or not; I hope it is but even if not, these are also really hard to find. this particular one I found online for 44 dollars and 25 dollars shipping. Paid 3 dollars for it at a thrift store.

Some time ago there was a local guy here that had a box full of those for sale, never been used. But he stated every single one needed to be checked as the rubber band from the motor was completely gone or gone dry trough the years and snapped off. So check that if it doesn't work, should be an easy fix.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21243 of 52820, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
andreja6 wrote:
I bought a new TEAC FD-55GDR 5.25" Floppy drive! (image) The price for 5.25" drives is INSANE online! Cheapest I've found is 44 […]
Show full quote

(image)
(image)

Some time ago there was a local guy here that had a box full of those for sale, never been used. But he stated every single one needed to be checked as the rubber band from the motor was completely gone or gone dry trough the years and snapped off. So check that if it doesn't work, should be an easy fix.

I've had belts fail before, but this drive seems to be a direct drive floppy. I hope it is because I can see no belts, nor any belts on images, nor any trace of belts that would be left on the large wheel thing. If its not, It shouldn't be too hard to fix though. I hope. I will keep you updated when i get the disks!

Reply 21244 of 52820, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Awesome deal on the 5.25 floppy!

I just bought a room full of mysterious PC stuff for $15 with local pickup. The seller said it was 25 years worth of stuff. Probably not his prized possessions, but for $15 and a 2 hour drive I'd be very surprised if it somehow wasn't worth it.

Well good luck! Keep us updated! I'm really curious.

Reply 21245 of 52820, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

a mysterious card with that chip on it, and it's not what you think it is!

Is that a Midas3 ????

No, sorry, not a Midas card.
I might post in the PowerVR fun thread about it...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 21246 of 52820, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:
Artex wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

a mysterious card with that chip on it, and it's not what you think it is!

Is that a Midas3 ????

No, sorry, not a Midas card.
I might post in the PowerVR fun thread about it...

Sega Dreamcast (or Dreamcast development board)? That would also explain why you bought the Dreamcast MIDI interface (hope you got software that works with it...).

Reply 21247 of 52820, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

Is that EGA monitor and graphics?

No, it's VGA.

Artex wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Nice AdLib speakers!

WANT!

I will keep my eyes open for other sets...

1982 to 2001

Reply 21248 of 52820, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Sega Dreamcast (or Dreamcast development board)? That would also explain why you bought the Dreamcast MIDI interface (hope you got software that works with it...).

Not that either, but you atleast have one word in your guess that applies to it, it's silkscreened on it in fact!

Reply 21249 of 52820, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

bought this EGA card on ebay, 'new old stock' (boxed, but not sealed, the box looks a bit worn)
to test the converter pcb I'm working on.

ebay.jpg
Filename
ebay.jpg
File size
241.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 21250 of 52820, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh !!! Could-you please make a copy of the floppy disk it came with ? The exact same card came with my 286 and I can't find a copy of that disk anywhere 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21252 of 52820, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Not that either, but you atleast have one word in your guess that applies to it, it's silkscreened on it in fact!

Something from a Sega arcade machine?

Reply 21253 of 52820, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
lolo799 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Something from a Sega arcade machine?

No, and to stop being off-topic any longer, you can continue at PowerVR Fun Thread

Reply 21254 of 52820, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought myself a great Socket A bundle with the 2 fastest CPU's ever released for Socket A.
- Athlon XP 3200
- Athlon XP 3000
- ASUS A7N8X-X
- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe R2.0

Reply 21255 of 52820, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
martin939 wrote:
I bought myself a great Socket A bundle with the 2 fastest CPU's ever released for Socket A. - Athlon XP 3200 - Athlon XP 3000 - […]
Show full quote

I bought myself a great Socket A bundle with the 2 fastest CPU's ever released for Socket A.
- Athlon XP 3200
- Athlon XP 3000
- ASUS A7N8X-X
- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe R2.0

Nice, just be careful with those CPU dies. The pads may not give as much protection as they used to. Lots of Athlons getting cracked these days from what I've seen. Keep the heatsink as level as possible and don't press down on it at all when removing or attaching the heatsink.

Reply 21259 of 52820, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought another Diamond Monster Voodoo1 card for cheap to keep on hand as an extra, as well as a 9 pin minidin b cable that I am going to splice together with a VGA cable to get my Canopus Voodoo1 working...