VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21720 of 52764, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went on another thrifting adventures today and got an IBM Quietwriter 8 (font light flashes), NIB sealed KVM PS/2 4-PC switch box, a remote control for my Toshiba TV/VCR Combo, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead expansion CD, and an Atari Plug and Play that hooks up to a TV set (had one back then).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21721 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Went on another thrifting adventures today and got an IBM Quietwriter 8 (font light flashes), NIB sealed KVM PS/2 4-PC switch box, a remote control for my Toshiba TV/VCR Combo, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead expansion CD, and an Atari Plug and Play that hooks up to a TV set (had one back then).

Atari Flashback?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21722 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this in a thrift store today. Sound Blaster 2.0 box with I think everything. Too bad it didn't have the card in it.

box_front.jpg
Filename
box_front.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
box_back.jpg
Filename
box_back.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
box_contents.jpg
Filename
box_contents.jpg
File size
685.93 KiB
Views
File license
disks.jpg
Filename
disks.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
sb2.0_manuals.jpg
Filename
sb2.0_manuals.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Continued in next post:

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21723 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
games.jpg
Filename
games.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
inserts.jpg
Filename
inserts.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21724 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got these in my latest scrap haul. I also got a couple more AWE 64 cards - CT4380 and CT4520. There was a bunch of other stuff as well.. such as numerous MFM drive controllers, a regular ISA multi-i/o controller, some Apple stuff, and some other random stuff.

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21725 of 52764, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last (for now) haul from the hoarders house (who's the hoarder now?!).

h1.jpg
Filename
h1.jpg
File size
124.25 KiB
Views
File license
h2.jpg
Filename
h2.jpg
File size
191.55 KiB
Views
File license
h3.jpg
Filename
h3.jpg
File size
154.91 KiB
Views
File license
h4.jpg
Filename
h4.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 21726 of 52764, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h5.jpg
Filename
h5.jpg
File size
187.15 KiB
Views
File license
h6.jpg
Filename
h6.jpg
File size
353.68 KiB
Views
File license
h7.jpg
Filename
h7.jpg
File size
310.13 KiB
Views
File license
h8.jpg
Filename
h8.jpg
File size
332.2 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21728 of 52764, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had been sniping for a Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-4ND for a while, and this week one popped up for the sensible price of 48€ including shipping. It's coming from Austria, so I'm still waiting.

s-l1600.jpg

• CPU: Intel 80486-DX2, 50MHz
• RAM: 20MB
• HDD: 800MB 2,5" IDE HDD
• FDD: 3,5" Floppy 1.44Mb
• VGA: Western Digital 1MB VRAM (16Bit 640x480 mode supported)
• Sound: ESS AudioDrive
• Display: 10,2" VGA TFT LCD display
• Keyboard: German layout
• Mouse: Integrated Trackball
• Power: 100-240V AC, Power supply: 22.8V DC, 1.5A
• Battery: 14.4V 12 cell NIMH, 1800MAH
• Serial port
• Parallel port
• VGA
• 2x PS/2 port
• Sound I/O
• Dock connector
• 2x PCMCIA
• Infrared

The belt on the floppy drive is done and the battery basically dead, but otherwise the unit seems in good shape.

The second piece of Siemens "vintage hardware" I bought is this flip-flop/butterfly-style BRN1 Toaster

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've had a toaster like this since I was a little boy and while the original one my family owned ended up with me and is still running, I scored this one for about 5€.
The guy said it was missing the cable so he was selling it at untested. Judging by the looks, and most importantly the smell when I first fired it up, it was never used at all, which, given that it was first built in 1952 is quite astounding.

Reply 21729 of 52764, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Found this in a thrift store today. Sound Blaster 2.0 box with I think everything. Too bad it didn't have the card in it.

box_front.jpg

Wow, cyclone3d. Nice pickup.

How long did the old sound blaster last after the box redesign? Its days had to be pretty numbered by the time they moved to the blue on orange look.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21731 of 52764, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Atari Flashback?

Here it is:

gwiWqgQh.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21732 of 52764, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Mmh, a super slim-drive with a belt. That's unfortunate (and rare 😜).

Most super slim-drives actually have a belt, as motors flat enough to fit were hardly available.

Reply 21733 of 52764, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering if I should even bother replacing it, since I'll transfer files either with USB-to-IDE interface or by infrared from my Toshiba Libretto.. or via LAN.

Out of curiosity: this is just a "regular" floppy drive with an IDE plug, right? So any drive that fits into that slot would theoretically work?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MATSUSHITA-PANASONIC-E … 5.c100005.m1851

Thanks for the heads-up though!

Reply 21734 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

box_front.jpg

Wow, cyclone3d. Nice pickup.

How long did the old sound blaster last after the box redesign? Its days had to be pretty numbered by the time they moved to the blue on orange look.

Not sure. The Sound Blaster 2.0 was released after the Sound Blaster Pro 1.0, but I couldn't find any reference to when the Sound Blaster 2.0 stopped production or when the box design changed.

From the dates on the different versions of the Sound Blaster 2.0, it looks like it was available from 1991-1993 at least.

See here for a bit of box info.. no specific dates though.
Matching ISA Sound Blaster to Original Box

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21735 of 52764, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought another QuickShot II Turbo joystick. Was on eBay as "sold as seen / untested" which as expected pretty much always means "doesn't work" these days. True enough when I received it, it didn't work properly - no working Fire buttons or Right direction. I opened it up and discovered the issue, somebody had been a little overzealous on the Right microswitch and somehow pressed it down hard enough for it to cause a short with the fire button. A quick and dirty fix by prising up the metal slightly and all was well.

Will probably need to look at it further when I get time, as I found the left & down directions to be a little stiffer than usual, but otherwise it's fully functional now.

So anyway, now I have 2. 🤣 May not be everybody's favourite controller, but I'm used to this as it's what I used back in the day.

v2iMihkl.jpg

Been using it to play Wild West Seymour on the Spectrum emulator all day. 😎

Reply 21736 of 52764, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
Here it is: […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Atari Flashback?

Here it is:

gwiWqgQm.jpg

Nice, that's exactly the same as the one I bought at Value Village in 2014. I still have it, it didn't come with a battery cover so I printed one with my dad's 3D printer.

Reply 21738 of 52764, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:
I had been sniping for a Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-4ND for a while, and this week one popped up for the sensible price of 48€ includin […]
Show full quote

I had been sniping for a Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-4ND for a while, and this week one popped up for the sensible price of 48€ including shipping. It's coming from Austria, so I'm still waiting.

s-l1600.jpg

• CPU: Intel 80486-DX2, 50MHz
• RAM: 20MB
• HDD: 800MB 2,5" IDE HDD
• FDD: 3,5" Floppy 1.44Mb
• VGA: Western Digital 1MB VRAM (16Bit 640x480 mode supported)
• Sound: ESS AudioDrive
• Display: 10,2" VGA TFT LCD display
• Keyboard: German layout
• Mouse: Integrated Trackball
• Power: 100-240V AC, Power supply: 22.8V DC, 1.5A
• Battery: 14.4V 12 cell NIMH, 1800MAH
• Serial port
• Parallel port
• VGA
• 2x PS/2 port
• Sound I/O
• Dock connector
• 2x PCMCIA
• Infrared

snip

Sooo jealous. Trying to find one myself - or a similar laptop from late DOS era with SB and 640x480 resolution, TFT screen and not expensive. The closest I got so far is Panasonic CF-41 - good machine, but it's THICK and runs hot, which means loud cooling. I'd much prefer something thinner and passively cooled.

Reply 21739 of 52764, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Mmh, a super slim-drive with a belt. That's unfortunate (and rare 😜).

Most super slim-drives actually have a belt, as motors flat enough to fit were hardly available.

Not quite true. Seems to be only true for the eldest super slims. All the 1/3rds I have in my laptops 1994 and up are all direct driven. Only had one belt driven so far coming out of a 1994 compaq. It seems that most super slims from 1994/95 onwards were already direct driven.