VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22220 of 52813, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally found some time to test the second NIB Mitsubishi I got some time ago. Literally, weights a ton (as expected for a CRT of this size) and eats a LOT of desk space. Got my first one some months ago and it has been my daily retro driver ever since. Before that I did try several screens, both CRT and LCD (also high end stuff like EIZO S2133 which I found superior in Windows). However, always had a feeling something was not right / missing in pure DOS. This bad boy nailed it all..I don't want to sound too exaggerated, but I cannot think a better screen for DOS. This 20" bad boy got a 0.31 mm dot pitch (yes, you read it right), has 3 different inputs (D-SUB/BNC), and accepts not only Analog but also TTL signal and, finally, goes down to 15 kHz. Have not tested EGA/CGA yet (I will when I get my AT 5170 going..) but have currently hooked my IBM PC 300GL and Sega Mega Drive 2 to this thingy and honestly DOS games have never looked this good. I guess it all comes down to a higher than usual dot pitch which really benefits those old DOS classics. Downsides then, well, this is not something for Windows (unless one wants to run it at like 640x480)..but hell, couldn't care less about Windows (at least for now), as my main interest lies in games before Windows gaming really took off.

9NkolLoh.jpg

XqCksU0h.jpg

SBdcXAGh.jpg

FI6pztAh.jpg

Reply 22221 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that is a really impressive monitor - nice!!!! The fact that it has individual settings for 18 timings will be really useful if you start using it for various systems.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22222 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ran across two pairs of these at a local thrift store. Not NIB, but appear to be mint. Are they worth a $28 asking price for each pair?

IMG_1008.jpg
Filename
IMG_1008.jpg
File size
419.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22225 of 52813, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:

Finally found some time to test the second NIB Mitsubishi I got some time ago....

Wow! I didn't even know 15khz capable multiscan monitors existed in 20' screen size. This monitor looks great... and NIB too? Where did you get this? 😲

Please post CGA/EGA pictures when you get the chance!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 22226 of 52813, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ that is a really impressive monitor - nice!!!! The fact that it has individual settings for 18 timings will be really useful if you start using it for various systems.

Thanks! I'm yet to discover possibilities of this monitor. I feel lucky having a full manual as monitor got many dip switches in the back for all kind of weird combinations/signals..Otherwise I would be very worried to damage something (especially if I later try to input TTL).

MMaximus wrote:

Where did you get this?

I didn't know either that this kind of monitor existed..These are "industrial grade" monitors. Yes, both monitors were boxed and new. According to seller they originally came from a medical company which had stored them as a replacement monitors for those they were running 24/7. They needed these much longer because of old equipment from the early 90s where the signal was not compatible to newer screens. When they finally changed equipment, they just threw these monitors away... and they ended up to seller which had stored them since. At first the seller was only willing to let one of these go. I did not know if the screen was working or not after all those years in storage (seller did not give any guarantee either but was willing to test the screen if I wanted). Price was very very steep on the first one (got the second one a bit cheaper..) I decided to risk it and this time it all ended up really well. Both screens survived the ground shipping (seller kindly went an extra mile and even ordered a big big double box from Ebay to be able to cover the original Mitsubishi box inside even bigger box) 😊

Reply 22227 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eBay has a $15 off $75 coupon going on right now IF you purchase through the mobile eBay APP - PONLYONAPP.

Needed some toner for my printer so I put that in my cart but had to have $35 more in my cart before I could use the discount.

Looked for random stuff and then decided to search for ASUS P5A and this popped up for $45 shipped. PERFECT!

P5A-B.jpg
Filename
P5A-B.jpg
File size
205.76 KiB
Views
File license

Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Have a P5A 1.03 that arrived DOA and a P5A 1.06 that POSTed once and then never again. I may try recapping them at some point to see if that changes anything but I kinda doubt it.

Been wanting to get another working ASUS P5A or P5A-B for years. Back in the hayday of SS7 I had a K6-2 550 running at 660 (120x5.5) on an ASUS P5A.

Hoping to get that high with my K6-III+ 450. The ultimate goal would be even higher with the 6x multiplier.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22228 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got that offer too. Sadly I'm watching an auction that ends in two days. gotta save my money for that. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22229 of 52813, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Toshiba laptops.jpg
Filename
Toshiba laptops.jpg
File size
99.17 KiB
Views
File license

Left (yesterday's score): Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 (SP4320). Seems to be a PIII 600 MHz. This one is filthy, quite a project, but it works and has the important 3D capable S3 Savage/IX graphics card. Might need a donor to restore it to perfection.
Middle: Toshiba Tecra 8000. It's a Pentium II 366 MHz. It's my second one. Looks like a nice donor that works (but with broken screen lock).
Right: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4090XCDT. Possibly a Celeron 400 MHz but with TFT display. Works too. Great condition. Year 2000 compliant.. 😉

Also got all the adapters, original software and some documentation.

Reply 22230 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Ran across two pairs of these at a local thrift store. Not NIB, but appear to be mint. Are they worth a $28 asking price for each pair?

IMG_1008.jpg

Well, since no response decided to pass on them. $28 maybe for both pairs, but just not that interested.

Reply 22231 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

[...]

Been wanting to get another working ASUS P5A or P5A-B for years. Back in the hayday of SS7 I had a K6-2 550 running at 660 (120x5.5) on an ASUS P5A.

Hoping to get that high with my K6-III+ 450. The ultimate goal would be even higher with the 6x multiplier.

What a beauty!

Also had bad luck with P5A's back in the day, never had one that actually worked up to spec, let alone over it (which is the whole point of that board). In my case I'd want to get the FSB as high as possible, being prepared to sacrifice AGP, IDE and CPU clock to do so. Goal would be 733MHz (5.5x133MHz) Anyway, for now I can but dream on as I only have an MVP3 😉

Would be interested to hear which VCore you need to get the sort of speed you mentioned. I had to bump my K6-3+ ATZ up to 2.1V to reach 600MHz (plain 6x100MHz) on my Tekram P5MPVP-A4 board last week.

Oh, and on-topic:
Good news - the thrift shop I visited today is the best one I've found in a 30km radius so far, both in terms of what they have and pricing.
Bad news - still almost no internal components, and the complete systems they have were OEM So478/939 with no interesting upgrades (and no HDDs, which is my main problem atm)

Did get this though:
$_83.JPG

A NOS TypeSkills EZ-9900 keyboard. Intended to teach blind typing. Pretty decent rubber dome keyboard (as far as rubber dome can be decent) with no letters or numbers, just coloured keys. I sort of like 'blind' keyboards (I'm typing this on my Leopold FC3456-A, black with completely blank key caps - and Cherry MX brown switches) and can always use a good spare. Plus I hope my son will be ready to learn to type in the next year or two, and then this could be a great learning tool.

Reply 22232 of 52813, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Have a P5A 1.03 that arrived DOA and a P5A 1.06 that POSTed once and then never again. I may try recapping them at some point to see if that changes anything but I kinda doubt it.

New caps can do wonders. Don't forget electrolytic caps can be dead even if they look perfectly fine from the outside (not bulging). For instance - mine Gigabyte GA-5AA just arrived... and while the seller claimed caps are ok, in fact they are not. After measuring them it turned out they have almost zero capacity. And this is probably the reason I'm unable to install OS on this board because it always restarts itself. The voltage output looks like this:

ga5aa_3.3v_pred_opravs4s5x.png

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 22233 of 52813, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

It seems like a legitimate candidate for a capacitor fix. Do you feel that the problem is elsewhere? I mean you could recap it and also check/replace the VRMs on there. It seems like those two items would be the 1-2 punch for instability provided your processor and RAM are in good shape.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22234 of 52813, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a mostly parted out Dell Latitude CPi D266XT laptop in hopes that I could at least get it to turn on and be used as a "desktop" for testing purposes to see how good the Crystal CS4237 audio codec really is for DOS before I decide to buy a complete one, the plastic was in screwed up shape when I got it and it doesn't turn on, goddammit this really bites, I'd really like to get a proper Pentium 1-2 laptop with properly-compatible-with-DOS sound, TFT screen, and all that luxury and my one chance to see if the Dell Latitude CP/CPi series was worth looking into was blown. Whelp, there goes another $30. 😠

EDIT: Upon doing a search here, I've found out that even though the Crystal codecs used in the Latitude CP and CPi D-series support DOS, the Neomagic Audio 256/2200 controller used in the CPi A-series does not have DOS support, looks like I'm gonna have to be picky and not accept a Latitude CPi A-series or newer on my quest to find a DOS laptop. Why Dell, why? 🙁

Obligatory late edit: grammer errors fixed, also, this laptop could not be repaired so it was trashed.

Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2018-03-25, 07:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22235 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

It seems like a legitimate candidate for a capacitor fix. Do you feel that the problem is elsewhere? I mean you could recap it and also check/replace the VRMs on there. It seems like those two items would be the 1-2 punch for instability provided your processor and RAM are in good shape.

I honestly don't know if it is caps or not. The 1.06 powers on but no post. The 1.03 doesn't do anything. If I force power on the power supply, it makes a buzzing noise and that does sound like a capacitor.

I know the CPU and RAM are good as I have another SS7 board that works fine but the bus speed maxes out at 100Mhz.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22236 of 52813, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still not a 133GP/4X, but getting there slowly. I wonder if this one could be an S1R3 part...

5x86-120GP-4X.jpg
Filename
5x86-120GP-4X.jpg
File size
120.8 KiB
Views
File license

P.S. Somehow I anticipated this purchase and complemented it (in advance) with a nice case.

Case.jpg
Filename
Case.jpg
File size
358.54 KiB
Views
File license

P.P.S. I don't know if the CPU-World forum member who gave me a heads up on this CPU is present here, but I'd just want to express my deep acknowledgement once again!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)