Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22840 of 52899, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
The industrial computer I posted a pic of a while ago showed up today. It is a super custom jobbie made specifically for the mot […]
Show full quote

The industrial computer I posted a pic of a while ago showed up today. It is a super custom jobbie made specifically for the motherboard in it.. an ASUS P2B-LS.

Video card is a Diamond branded Riva 128. Also has a 3Com network card and a couple other cards. Kinda looks like it was used for some sort of video capture or processing of some sort. The one PCI slot looks like something was removed from the system at some point.
CPU in it is a PII-450 and a single 128MB stick of RAM. The SCSI HDD is ~4.5GB.
The power supply is custom made and nowhere near a standard size.
I did not take another pic of the front of it since the one I posted a while ago from the seller shows it just fine.. basically just power, leds, 3.5" floppy and a SCSI port. I might be modding the case so I can use an optical and 3.5" drive. Not really any room for anything else.

I'll probably just use this as a dedicated PII or PIII Slot-1 system with the motherboard that came with it. The motherboard has a PC/PCI header so that is another plus.

top.jpg
back.jpg

Wow, that thing looks like a crazy hybrid IBM 5150 ATX SFF system...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22841 of 52899, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Wow, that thing looks like a crazy hybrid IBM 5150 ATX SFF system...

Heh.. I wonder if this thing was ever converted to 120v since the tag on the back indicates 230v.
Hmmm. I am going to have to do some testing before I power it up.

I may have to transplant the innards of a standard ATX PSU into the case.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22842 of 52899, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

The industrial computer I posted a pic of a while ago showed up today. It is a super custom jobbie made specifically for the motherboard in it.. an ASUS P2B-LS.

Hah! Thought wasn't going to be older than that 😉

Beautiful board, which revision?

Video card is a Diamond branded Riva 128.

Viper 330?

Also has a 3Com network card and a couple other cards. Kinda looks like it was used for some sort of video capture or processing […]
Show full quote

Also has a 3Com network card and a couple other cards. Kinda looks like it was used for some sort of video capture or processing of some sort. The one PCI slot looks like something was removed from the system at some point.
CPU in it is a PII-450 and a single 128MB stick of RAM. The SCSI HDD is ~4.5GB.
The power supply is custom made and nowhere near a standard size.
I did not take another pic of the front of it since the one I posted a while ago from the seller shows it just fine.. basically just power, leds, 3.5" floppy and a SCSI port. I might be modding the case so I can use an optical and 3.5" drive. Not really any room for anything else.

I'll probably just use this as a dedicated PII or PIII Slot-1 system with the motherboard that came with it. The motherboard has a PC/PCI header so that is another plus.

[/quote]
Indeed. Very interesting thing.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-04-11, 08:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22843 of 52899, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

love Mario 2 to death

EDIT: sorry for the hijack, but I allowed myself to add photo of my backlit and biverted Game Boy Classic with Mario 2 on.

Agreed. 6 Golden Coins is my favorite for the GB too.

Attachments

• dmg-l6j.jpg
    Filename
    dmg-l6j.jpg
    File size
    358.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22844 of 52899, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ It's one of my favorites too - someone made recently a colorization hack that is pretty impressive!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22845 of 52899, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I absolutely love Super Mario Land -- owned it originally and bought it for VC on my 3DS. I didn't know of SM2 until the other year, so bought it right away. I'm still trying to get into it, because I'm just so used to the controls and tiny sprites of the original.

Reply 22846 of 52899, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Japanese game cart boxes look really late 70s or early 80s in terms of styling.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22847 of 52899, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this handy package from Ebay. Just what I wanted:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
182.12 KiB
Views
File license

...okay, fine, the contents were thankfully not as labelled. In it were a stack of FlexATX power supplies for my Shuttle XPC. I've been trying to source one locally for like two years but didn't have any luck. These cost me less than $12 each including shipping, and they look nearly new. I'm sure I'll find a use for the other two.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
249.67 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally that box was way overkill for these, they were wrapped up like a Mars lander inside with large-cell bubble wrap. Can't complain.

It doesn't come across in the pictures but these are tiny, here's a better size comparison:

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
218.92 KiB
Views
File license

They're also (relatively-) up-rated over the base 200W one that originally came in this model XPC. The 13A 5V rating might seem a little weak for an Athlon XP but it's higher than what the original one offered, and the board has a 4-pin CPU power connector so I'm assuming it's fine.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
178.57 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22848 of 52899, by JLPedro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been busy late week, on top off the ones on the pictures also got some Trident Isa VGA cards, one Realtek ISA VGA, Isa Controllers and two Pentium II (333 and 400Mhz).

The cherry top is the Compaq Presario 2254, K6-2 233, 64MB ram, S3 Virge DX onboard, ESS 1887F onboard, 4GB Bigfoot Hdd with Win98 instaled. Need to check if the cpu can be swaped for a Intel 233mmx if I can find the manual online, and find if there is a more recent Bios.

Attachments

• Lote_8.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_8.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Paradise PVGA1A
    File license
  • Lote_5.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_5.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Typhoon Media Sound Advanced 16bit
    File license
  • Lote_2.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_2.jpg
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq ES1868 Sound
    File license
  • Lote_3.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_3.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    3Com Etherlink III
    File license
  • Lote_4.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_4.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gazel ISDN Pro 2B isa
    File license

Reply 22849 of 52899, by JLPedro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more

Attachments

• Lote_17.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_17.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Isa CDrom Controllers
    File license
  • Lote_1.jpg
    Filename
    Lote_1.jpg
    File size
    999.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq Presario 2254
    File license

Reply 22850 of 52899, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to get hold of a DELL Optiplex 486 motherboard quite cheaply on eBay, which surprised me actually!

ymRqw6j.jpg

Picture is from the trader on eBay, so is about the best quality I currently have until I actually receive it.

The motherboard in my DELL has a non-working PC Speaker and instead of trying to fix and risk damaging my only 486 machine, I thought I may as well just replace the motherboard since this was so cheap.

The physical dimensions of this board are practically a match for my DELL, but this is not the same motherboard I currently have (that too was available on eBay, but at a higher price) as this appears to have some kind VLSI chipset, whereas the one in mine seems to have chips marked Headland, with Tseng Labs ET 4000 onboard graphics. No idea what graphics are on this until I get it, the pic is much too blurry.

When it arrives the first thing I'm going to do is run some comparison benchmarks between the 2 boards. All being well, I'll install this inside my Optiplex and then set about reinstalling Windows 95 & NT 4.

Reply 22851 of 52899, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received 😀
Unfortunately there are some problems with card but I think I'll make it run 😀

Attachments

• Batyra_V4PCI.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_V4PCI.jpg
    File size
    201.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    V4
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 22852 of 52899, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:
Managed to get hold of a DELL Optiplex 486 motherboard quite cheaply on eBay, which surprised me actually! […]
Show full quote

Managed to get hold of a DELL Optiplex 486 motherboard quite cheaply on eBay, which surprised me actually!

ymRqw6j.jpg

Picture is from the trader on eBay, so is about the best quality I currently have until I actually receive it.

The motherboard in my DELL has a non-working PC Speaker and instead of trying to fix and risk damaging my only 486 machine, I thought I may as well just replace the motherboard since this was so cheap.

The physical dimensions of this board are practically a match for my DELL, but this is not the same motherboard I currently have (that too was available on eBay, but at a higher price) as this appears to have some kind VLSI chipset, whereas the one in mine seems to have chips marked Headland, with Tseng Labs ET 4000 onboard graphics. No idea what graphics are on this until I get it, the pic is much too blurry.

When it arrives the first thing I'm going to do is run some comparison benchmarks between the 2 boards. All being well, I'll install this inside my Optiplex and then set about reinstalling Windows 95 & NT 4.

Looking forward to the benchmarks - I guess the board may have a Cirrus Logic unit on board. At least this was the case with these "OEM" pentium boards which either sported Tseng or Cirrus gfx-chipsets.

Reply 22853 of 52899, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As part of a scrap lot I received this card. Anybody has an idea what this is? The obvious is the ESS audiodrive part and the com and parallel stuff, but why does it have a molex connector, a battery and that eprom? Searching the web for PP2000/CI I couldn't find anything about the card.

Attachments

• 20180411_120848.jpg
    Filename
    20180411_120848.jpg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 22854 of 52899, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

As part of a scrap lot I received this card. Anybody has an idea what this is? The obvious is the ESS audiodrive part and the com and parallel stuff, but why does it have a molex connector, a battery and that eprom? Searching the web for PP2000/CI I couldn't find anything about the card.

System-on-a-card to use with a passive backplane, probably one with separate processor boards?

Reply 22855 of 52899, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just paid for a Compaq branded TNT2-Ultra... (sellers picture)

TNT2-Ultra.jpg
Filename
TNT2-Ultra.jpg
File size
103.22 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22856 of 52899, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eleanor1967 wrote:

I bet that came out of some kind of arcade cabinet. The brand is funworld which really sounds like a company that would make arcade machines.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22857 of 52899, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eleanor1967 wrote:

That's a custom ISA card for the "arcade" quiz machines named PHOTOPLAY. They used these cards to make normal pc mobos photoplay machines, The COM port is used for one type of touch controller, a pin header for another (depending on the machine). IIRC the other connector is for a security dongle or something like that (or a LPT port to connect the dongle don't quote me on that)
I have no idea what it can be used for on a normal PC build.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website