Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
Won a Sound Card bundle the other day and received it on Monday: […]
Show full quote

Won a Sound Card bundle the other day and received it on Monday:

vtxxtEbl.jpg

Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 SB0060 with the whole 9 yards (I/O bracket, games, software, cables, microphone, and so on). Totally worth it!

So I have to ask. Which system are you putting it in and what happened to the box? 🤣

My Socket 370 system (soon Socket 754) and I still have the box concealed in my room.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22881 of 52771, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:

Great to see some love for the OG Xbox! I paid for it less than 600 dollars, but not much less. Well actually it was in pounds but still!

I decided today perhaps against my better judgement to slice open the seal and open the Xbox. Luckily I was able to peel the warranty stickers back without breaking them and remove the cap. Did it all while wearing gloves. I realise I have significantly lessened the value of the console, but to be honest it was always my intention to keep this Xbox.

A boxed, sealed console is a sad console IMHO. They're made to play, and have fun with. 😀 I would've.

Incidentally I put my Xbox on my KVM, I'm using a cheap ($5 on Ebay) component cable to output 720p or 480p and upscaling that to 1280x1024 VGA with an HD Box Pro. It looks fantastic. I wish there were a way to tell the Xbox to output 1280x1024, but this will do.

xkvm.jpg
Filename
xkvm.jpg
File size
139.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by xjas on 2018-04-11, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22882 of 52771, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Sounds like the cap did not leak and that is GREAT news!!! An opened Xbox is a fun Xbox ancient Chinese prophecy says.

Yes, the board was absolutely immaculate thankfully! I don't know if use causes it to leak more? It's not like it needs it to function anyway.

To me there's almost something sad about an unused console, so didn't want to never open it.

xjas wrote:

A boxed, sealed console is a sad console IMHO. They're made to play, and have fun with. 😀 I would've.

Incidentally I put my Xbox on my KVM, I'm using a cheap ($5 on Ebay) component cable to output 720p or 480p and upscaling that to 1280x1024 VGA with an HD Box Pro. It looks fantastic.

Sounds like we're in agreement. I have one of those monster component cables, but if the cheaper ones are OK, I'd seriously consider selling mine.

Unfortunately I need to mod my console to get proper 480p output 🙁

Reply 22883 of 52771, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sketchus wrote:
Yes, the board was absolutely immaculate thankfully! I don't know if use causes it to leak more? It's not like it needs it to fu […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote:

Sounds like the cap did not leak and that is GREAT news!!! An opened Xbox is a fun Xbox ancient Chinese prophecy says.

Yes, the board was absolutely immaculate thankfully! I don't know if use causes it to leak more? It's not like it needs it to function anyway.

To me there's almost something sad about an unused console, so didn't want to never open it.

xjas wrote:

Incidentally I put my Xbox on my KVM, I'm using a cheap ($5 on Ebay) component cable to output 720p or 480p and upscaling that to 1280x1024 VGA with an HD Box Pro. It looks fantastic.

Sounds like we're in agreement. I have one of those monster component cables, but if the cheaper ones are OK, I'd seriously consider selling mine.

Unfortunately I need to mod my console to get proper 480p output 🙁

Softmod it BTW. I use UnleashX Dashboard and a 160GB WD Caviar HDD.

Lot's of space for rare and foreign releases which I just can't get legit copies of (we won't be discussing the how or why here as per site rules)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22884 of 52771, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh I will be softmodding it down the line for sure. It's not as in danger as most Xbox's because of such minimal use, but I really need to null the eeprom so I can change the HDD if needed.

Reply 22885 of 52771, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
luckybob wrote:

*Grumbles about how ANYTHING pci-e is still too new*

It wouldn't be a great leap that there are people who look at pci and agp in the same light, I wonder if there are any absurd ones that look at vlb and eisa the same way too 🤣. It all comes down to opinions rather than facts. 😉

I have a confession to make...

I have actually never even installed, or even used a PCI-e card. The general use laptop is 15 years old, while work provide me with a tablet

The most modern I use in systems is VLB, though I do have a couple PCI and AGP in store... ... somewhere. 😐

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 22886 of 52771, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although not 100% retro. I bought a Dell Optiplex 745 motherboard for a project to re-purpose my GX520 desktop for a video transfer project.

For a while, I've been figuring out which route I should take for my long awaited digital video transfer project, I've been brainstorming ways to build (or re-build) a Vista/7-era system for this task since the software I use is very finicky to the point where it doesn't work on a fully-updated Windows 7+ installation (which rules out my secondary system). The current decision is to "convert" my (virtually useless) Dell Optiplex GX520 into a (much more useful) Optiplex 745 and see how this goes, a build thread for this project will be coming soon.

Reply 22887 of 52771, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Ha! The emulator? Oh heck no. You need a pretty modern machine to get a decent framerate. It's just a good thing to know since those 3DO cards go for the price of a car nowadays.

There you go. By his skill at arbitrage (and perhaps dealing in Hokkien on a Taiwanese bulletin board), he can sell the card and buy a car! Or just leverage it to finance an investment in lead underwear futures.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22889 of 52771, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Ha! The emulator? Oh heck no. You need a pretty modern machine to get a decent framerate. It's just a good thing to know since those 3DO cards go for the price of a car nowadays.

There you go. By his skill at arbitrage (and perhaps dealing in Hokkien on a Taiwanese bulletin board), he can sell the card and buy a car! Or just leverage it to finance an investment in lead underwear futures.

🤣 it's going into my ultimate 486 build! 😀

Reply 22890 of 52771, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Traded away a Radeon 8500 and a Voodoo 3 1000 for a 486 motherboard with PCI slots and a TI 486 DX2-66; still not sure if I got the worse deal or not, but I need 486 motherboards 🙁

Can anyone help me identify the board I got?

Is it guaranteed to work? That Barrel battery is a major turn off.

Personally, I think you should have sold those 2 graphics cards probably would of got $100 for both and that should be enough for a good 486 board

Reply 22891 of 52771, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unsure about what it is still since eta is Monday but bought it because of the back ports and size, hopefully something good from 1996 😉

Attachments

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 22892 of 52771, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Traded away a Radeon 8500 and a Voodoo 3 1000 for a 486 motherboard with PCI slots and a TI 486 DX2-66; still not sure if I got the worse deal or not, but I need 486 motherboards 🙁

Is it guaranteed to work? That Barrel battery is a major turn off.

Personally, I think you should have sold those 2 graphics cards probably would of got $100 for both and that should be enough for a good 486 board

Yeah guaranteed working.. I will remove the barrel battery and wipe off any possible damage. I can make out an EXT_BATT header near the keyboard port so it oyght to benfine..

The local retro market is pretty terrible of late whatever pops up is overpriced but you cant really find buyers for most things regardless so flipping the hardware before I lost the chance on these was low.. I did not need the V3-1000 and replaced the 8500 with a 9100 which is basically a 8500LE+.. So I dont know.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22893 of 52771, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

No identifying markings at all?

tabm0de wrote:

Unsure about what it is still since eta is Monday but bought it because of the back ports and size, hopefully something good from 1996 😉

I've been watching a similar machine on eBay! No idea if the internals are remotely similar, but the one I'm looking at has Pentium 133, 4 RAM slots, an ISA slot and two PCI slots, and an ALI chipset. It's a very neat looking little machine, for sure.

Reply 22894 of 52771, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
XCVG wrote:
tabm0de wrote:

I've been watching a similar machine on eBay! No idea if the internals are remotely similar, but the one I'm looking at has Pentium 133, 4 RAM slots, an ISA slot and two PCI slots, and an ALI chipset. It's a very neat looking little machine, for sure.

Do you have the url? 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 22895 of 52771, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NVM found it 😉 But i have model QP-4321-33 , i it could be a 486 at 33 if the last number defines the cpu speed.
Good thing is the seller hade 2 of them and asked if i wanted to buy the other one which i did.

It really interesting what i will have Monday.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 22896 of 52771, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just arrived...so many interesting things in this lot I was afraid another collector want to get rid of his unrepairable junk....will check.
For example:
2 Thomas Conrad Full-lenght Network card

IMG_1037.JPG
Filename
IMG_1037.JPG
File size
1023.13 KiB
Views
File license

Commordore 128 Mainbaord...have no use for it as I dont have any replacement ICs however

IMG_1036.JPG
Filename
IMG_1036.JPG
File size
983.46 KiB
Views
File license

Then 2 Atari/Commodore PC 8088 Mainbaords that are very interesting:

IMG_1035.JPG
Filename
IMG_1035.JPG
File size
911.79 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1034.JPG
Filename
IMG_1034.JPG
File size
884.24 KiB
Views
File license

The last one has standard PC power connector and I will try this first after replacing the damaged Cap on the bottom...

Reply 22897 of 52771, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a set of 90's sound blaster cards, old voodoo cards and an I/O card from a single seller. I paid quite much for them, but I think I saved some money because I only had to pay for shipping once and you never know when you can find such old cards. Also seller tested the cards before I bought them and e-mailed proof that they are all working.

old cards.jpg
Filename
old cards.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license