VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23660 of 52977, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I'm fairly certain that my own PC, with a Hercules card, could output 12 (or maybe 16) shades of grey onto the monitor we had, that is why my dad always claimed it was superior to green monochrome PCs even though they could display in color, albeit a single one. So I'm guessing we had a Hercules card with a compatible Greyscale monitor.

No. Hercules was mono, pixel was either lit or not. You might think about CGA, which could display four colours, but was often connected to monochrome monitors that could display four shades or four levels of intensity.

Check this image: http://jawnesny.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ROCKFORD.jpg

Reply 23661 of 52977, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OldCat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I'm fairly certain that my own PC, with a Hercules card, could output 12 (or maybe 16) shades of grey onto the monitor we had, that is why my dad always claimed it was superior to green monochrome PCs even though they could display in color, albeit a single one. So I'm guessing we had a Hercules card with a compatible Greyscale monitor.

No. Hercules was mono, pixel was either lit or not. You might think about CGA, which could display four colours, but was often connected to monochrome monitors that could display four shades or four levels of intensity.

Check this image: http://jawnesny.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ROCKFORD.jpg

Nope, this is not it.

I am 100% positive that the card in the PC was Hercules and we could display over a dozen shades of green on the monitor. What the card and monitor exactly were, I can not remember. I am sure my dad referred to the setup as being 'Hercules' as opposed to being 'Monochrome'. He was probably wrong with the terminology, but I am fairly certain my eyes showed me greyscale 'colors' when playing Prince of Persia, and I am 100% certain it was not CGA because my friends with CGA could go inside the windows in Alley Cat and I could not.

According to Wikipedia:

As the Hercules card did not actually have color-generating circuitry, nor could it connect to a color monitor, color appeared as simulated greyscale in varying patterns (in essence, a primitive form of half-toning or dithering.)

I'm assuming this is what I was seeing on screen. Or possibly mine was a Hercules InColor card that apparently had EGA-like capabilities, and was hooked up to a greyscale monitor? I can not remember, I was too young.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23662 of 52977, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
I am 100% positive that the card in the PC was Hercules and we could display over a dozen shades of green on the monitor. What […]
Show full quote

I am 100% positive that the card in the PC was Hercules and we could display over a dozen shades of green on the monitor. What the card and monitor exactly were, I can not remember. I am sure my dad referred to the setup as being 'Hercules' as opposed to being 'Monochrome'. He was probably wrong with the terminology, but I am fairly certain my eyes showed me greyscale 'colors' when playing Prince of Persia, and I am 100% certain it was not CGA because my friends with CGA could go inside the windows in Alley Cat and I could not.

According to Wikipedia:

As the Hercules card did not actually have color-generating circuitry, nor could it connect to a color monitor, color appeared as simulated greyscale in varying patterns (in essence, a primitive form of half-toning or dithering.)

I'm assuming this is what I was seeing on screen.

Two options: either it was not Hercules and had more shades of green or it was Hercules, in which case the illusion of intensity was created by dithering. Tertium non datur.

For comparison, have a look at these similar two cases that are not Hercules, but illustrate how similar it can be for human eye. Check the first photo in this thread: Metal Mutant compared on plasma screens of Toshiba T3100e (CGA) and Toshiba T5100 (CGA/EGA) These are two versions of the same game in the same resolution and monochrome, but one is displayed on the plasma screen that can only use two levels of intensity (on/off) and the other one is displayed on the plasma screen with four levels of intensity. Note how they look the same from afar, but when you look up close, the difference is obvious.

Memories tend to add additional aliasing, you know. 🤣

EDIT: typos, grammar

Last edited by OldCat on 2018-05-29, 15:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23663 of 52977, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess Hercules' dithering was indistinguishable from actual greyscale color to our computer virgin eyes 😎

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23664 of 52977, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty certain that the original IBM MDPA card could display characters in either regular or high intensity. Is it possible for hercules to produce high intensity pixels in bitmap mode?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23666 of 52977, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was just looking for scsi isa card, ended up buying everything from a guy for $80 + shipping.

Missing in picture is:
Sidewinder 3d pro with manual
Rise of the traid cd with manual
MegaRace cd with manual
TFX with manual

2 x scsi cd-rom
3 x agp graphic
1 x s3 pci
2 x adaptec scsi isa

Comanche cd - complete
Grand prix2 - complete
Road and Track Thee need for speed ( not SE ) - complete
Rally Championships - complete
Silent Thunder - Complete
S2 - complete

2 x keyboards that i always forget what they are called, i normally call them keyboard for special folks 😉

IBM Personal Computer 300GL p 166mhz

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0994.jpg
    File size
    746.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 23669 of 52977, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

mmm old IBM desktops

I'm a Compaq man myself but IBMs are nice too.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23670 of 52977, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a couple different lots on the way from the same seller.

This lot should have V3-3000 in both AGP and PCI. The other card I really wanted from this lot was the Socket 7 SBC.

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
313.9 KiB
Views
File license

I was the only bidder for this lot of motherboards that ended quite close to the lot above.
Not sure I will have much use for any of them, but for the price I figured I could resell the boards individually if I don't want some/all of them.

mbs.jpg
Filename
mbs.jpg
File size
254.33 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23671 of 52977, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gah! I bid on that lot of cards too! Along with the Voodoos there were two GeForce 4 Tis and a Hercules 3D Prophet Kyro (probably a Kyro 2). There's also a number 9 S3 card, an S3 Trio 3D, and a whole slew of other misc stuff. A really nice lot for sure! Congrats!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23672 of 52977, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

This lot should have V3-3000 in both AGP and PCI. The other card I really wanted from this lot was the Socket 7 SBC.

cards.jpg

I also had my eye on this, but it was a bit out of my range - knew you'd be all over it though! 😀 A nice score!

Think the Kyro is a 4500?

Reply 23673 of 52977, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My big purchases for the day\week\month are on their way to me now. I nabbed a bunch of items out of a scrap lot for a very nice price. Included in the lot was an Asus V7700 Geforce 2 GTS 64MB, Real3D Starfighter AGP (almost brushed it off as a Matrox AGP card and let it go... glad I looked at it more closely!), Yamaha XG YMF-724 PCI (probably Labway), Soundblaster CT2940 (CQM version, no backplate)... and... an AWE64 Gold! 😁

Also managed to grab a PAIR of working Roland MT-200 MIDI sequencers. One even has the original box! The seller checked the firmware version and both are 1.12, which is newer than the version on the MT-200 I already have, so I'm going to try to figure out how to use one of these to update the one I already have. I really wish I could locate the v2.04 firmware. These sequencers are basically identical in function (for gaming) to an SC-55, but they have the ability to play and edit MIDI tracks directly from a floppy disk, which makes them sort of a self contained MIDI jukebox. 😀

Reply 23674 of 52977, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

cards.jpg

I also had my eye on this, but it was a bit out of my range - knew you'd be all over it though! 😀 A nice score!

When it was at $50 with a few days left I figured I wouldn't even bother bidding on it. Was kinda surprised I got it for the price I did.

😀

Yeah, Kyro is a 4500.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23675 of 52977, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
When it was at $50 with a few days left I figured I wouldn't even bother bidding on it. Was kinda surprised I got it for the pri […]
Show full quote
JidaiGeki wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

cards.jpg

When it was at $50 with a few days left I figured I wouldn't even bother bidding on it. Was kinda surprised I got it for the price I did.

😀

Yeah, Kyro is a 4500.

You got it by $1, just so you know. 😉

Reply 23678 of 52977, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:

Sun-faded Creative 3D Blaster Banshee (sealed)

https://i.imgur.com/M7IuEM9h.jpg?1

Looks a little beat up. Was the shrink wrap the important part to you? Otherwise I'd probably just opted for one in better condition but without seal. Just my 2 cents.

Reply 23679 of 52977, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
rikukos wrote:

Sun-faded Creative 3D Blaster Banshee (sealed)

https://i.imgur.com/M7IuEM9h.jpg?1

Looks a little beat up. Was the shrink wrap the important part to you? Otherwise I'd probably just opted for one in better condition but without seal. Just my 2 cents.

You make it sound like they're laying around in thrift stores all over the world...