VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23700 of 52818, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just bought a C64-Composit/S-Video cable and a 2 meter Amiga-Scart cable from this company below.
They deliver high quality cables, for all sort of vintage computers.

https://www.retrocomputershack.com/

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23701 of 52818, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:

When you make a statement like that, you're obliged to dig up all of yours, and arrange them in a similar pile and post a picture!

Artex wrote:

Not bad... not bad. But I think I've got ya beat! 😎 Always nice to see a fellow 3DFX super-fan!

You haven't seen this entire thread then! 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23702 of 52818, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rikukos wrote:

I like when things are getting delivered ahead of schedule. Besides, I haven't seen her showing up before but oh boy when she finally did, she did so being a MINT and SEALED!! Presented here for your enjoyment, still factory-sealed after more than 30 years(!): AdLib Personal Computer Music System (the year 1987 model)

Wow - now that's rare! Nicely done!!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23703 of 52818, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got myself a Cyrix 5x86-133GP/4X, confirmed as working, in perfect state.
Seller's picture:

cx5x86133.jpg
Filename
cx5x86133.jpg
File size
158.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So happy that I've gone on a shopping spree for some Cyrix merchandise as well:

cx5x86tshirt.jpg
Filename
cx5x86tshirt.jpg
File size
104.1 KiB
Views
File license
cx5x86pin.jpg
Filename
cx5x86pin.jpg
File size
285.57 KiB
Views
File license

I've already showed here the box where this CPU was intended to be held, but whatever, I'll show it once again:

cx5x86box.jpg
Filename
cx5x86box.jpg
File size
3.52 KiB
Views
File license

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 23704 of 52818, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:
Finally got myself a Cyrix 5x86-133GP/4X, confirmed as working, in perfect state. Seller's picture: […]
Show full quote

Finally got myself a Cyrix 5x86-133GP/4X, confirmed as working, in perfect state.
Seller's picture:

cx5x86133.jpg

So happy that I've gone on a shopping spree for some Cyrix merchandise as well:

cx5x86tshirt.jpg
cx5x86pin.jpg

I've already showed here the box where this CPU was intended to be held, but whatever, I'll show it once again:

cx5x86box.jpg

teach-me-your-onc5l2.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23705 of 52818, by 19rsn007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well this wasn't today, but last week.....
I went to a HAM Radio and electronics fair last week and got some stuff for fiddling around.

I was finishing up when all of a sudden my eye was attracted to the corner of a stand where I noticed a portable organizer like device.
It was a HP 200LX and I had no clue what it was or did but I noticed the PCMCIA slot on the side so I googled it on my phone (I love portable internet) and found out it was a cool device that ran DOS 5.0 from the internal rom.

I checked the battery compartment and it looked great, asked what the price was and took it home (untested) for 5 euro's.
Coming home I had to check and see if it was working and it does work.
There is just a little dead pixel line in the bottom of the screen, but you hardly notice.

Attachments

Reply 23706 of 52818, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
19rsn007 wrote:
Well this wasn't today, but last week..... I went to a HAM Radio and electronics fair last week and got some stuff for fiddling […]
Show full quote

I went to a HAM Radio and electronics fair last week and got some stuff for fiddling around.

I was finishing up when all of a sudden my eye was attracted to the corner of a stand where I noticed a portable organizer like device.
It was a HP 200LX and I had no clue what it was or did but I noticed the PCMCIA slot on the side so I googled it on my phone (I love portable internet) and found out it was a cool device that ran DOS 5.0 from the internal rom.

I checked the battery compartment and it looked great, asked what the price was and took it home (untested) for 5 euro's.
There is just a little dead pixel line in the bottom of the screen, but you hardly notice.

Very nice find. Wikipedia already lists quite a bit of infos, including some easter eggs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_200LX

Question is if the dead pixel line is maybe even repairable...?

Aging models may lose pixel columns from the display. This is caused by detachment of one or more pins of one of the SMD (Surface Mounted Device) chips in the display itself. In many cases this may be repaired by reflowing (resoldering) of the pins on the offending chip, either with an SMD reflow tool, or a soldering iron with a very fine (0.2 mm) tip.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 23707 of 52818, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Cool! Did it come with driver disks? If not then finding the right version can be a chore - I've had the most success with the "Studio" drivers I uploaded to VogonDrivers (can't get a link because of stupid work firewall). The card won't work right with the wron version, and there a several versions 😵

Unfortunately it didn't come with any drivers. The model i have is the PAS16SL which i believe has a Sony CD-ROM interface on board. I'll give your drivers a whirl and see how i get on! 😀

Reply 23708 of 52818, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
19rsn007 wrote:
Well this wasn't today, but last week..... I went to a HAM Radio and electronics fair last week and got some stuff for fiddling […]
Show full quote

Well, now you can play Zork anywhere

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23709 of 52818, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
https://media.makeameme.org/created/teach-me-your-onc5l2.jpg […]
Show full quote

teach-me-your-onc5l2.jpg

It's called "Pay to play". If you are willing to offer somebody $500+, you can have one too.
Personally I'm not willing to pay more than $50 for a vintage CPU.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23710 of 52818, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even for $500, you'll have to put in a lot of effort to find someone willing to sell a Cyrix 5x86-133/4x. Actually, it was $500 + a rare Cyrix 5x86-120/4x, so perhaps $600+.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23711 of 52818, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really into processors so forgive my ignorance: Were these CPU's already rare when they were new or is this just the typical price inflation that's independent from the production run size (a.k.a "retro/vintage")?

Reply 23712 of 52818, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix sold all of the 133s to Evergreen. They were only sold in upgrade kits in 1996, a time when everyone wanted Pentiums. They were in limited supply, and sold only for a short time. Not to mention, the upgrades didn't perform well because they were mostly going into older machines that didn't support writeback cache or any of the other advanced features.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23713 of 52818, by 19rsn007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:

Question is if the dead pixel line is maybe even repairable...?

Aging models may lose pixel columns from the display. This is caused by detachment of one or more pins of one of the SMD (Surface Mounted Device) chips in the display itself. In many cases this may be repaired by reflowing (resoldering) of the pins on the offending chip, either with an SMD reflow tool, or a soldering iron with a very fine (0.2 mm) tip.

Well it is the same problem some early gameboy's suffer and mostly reflowing/resoldering the connection fixes the problem so I was going to look into that later but for now I am just playing around with the thing.

Reply 23714 of 52818, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

I'm not really into processors so forgive my ignorance: Were these CPU's already rare when they were new or is this just the typical price inflation that's independent from the production run size (a.k.a "retro/vintage")?

Rare or not, back in the day the Cyrix CPUs were considered the budget machine alternative and it does surprise me how some of the models have become so collectible. Although, even some older eMachine systems go for money now if they are in good shape and back in the 90s you would never admit you bought one if you wanted decent tech friends. 🤣 Funny how things turn around like they do after a decade or so.

Reply 23715 of 52818, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Even for $500, you'll have to put in a lot of effort to find someone willing to sell a Cyrix 5x86-133/4x. Actually, it was $500 + a rare Cyrix 5x86-120/4x, so perhaps $600+.

Actually, I was thinking more of the bling. Maybe Vogons should start up a clothing line?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23716 of 52818, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paid too much for a complete Roland LAPC-I (with the MIDI box), and a Creative CT1350B SB with the CMS chips for an upcoming 386 build. I think they'll both continue to accumulate value. Photos from auction because I'll forget to post before putting them in my build when they arrive.

cPLVXob.png
Z2vtOkz.png
WN1EUSt.png

Reply 23717 of 52818, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah that was you 😀 the LAPC auction only just ended! was watching both out of curiosity. Nice cards indeed but I think the LAPC dream is over for me. Keep us posted on your builds.

I did buy some bits recently - a K6-III+ 450, and a motherboard for a Gateway SFF. Sadly the Gateway board (Corfu, 815 chipset) looks like it's NOS but has tons of bad G-Luxon caps, seller has promised a replacement though.

Reply 23718 of 52818, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just ordered a CGA card with Composite out from the well known auction site. Its a "Epson Colour Video Board Model Q505A-E", brand new and with original box. Its for 22€ + shipment and therefore quite OK. There are more of them available.

I hope this card will support me playing with Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROMs. There is no support for VGA and I do not have enough space to have my EGA monitors up all the time. With this card I hope I am able to connect to the composite-in of my DELL 2709W main LCD.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 23719 of 52818, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some interesting cards where I could not say "no" to take a look at 😉

IMG_2174r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2174r.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

3DLabs Glint 500TX
SPEA P41/R12 with soldered TMS340
Diamond Fire GL 4000

IMG_2172r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2172r.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license

SPEA GRAPHITI Series with Bt458KG, "Gallery-HE P35/R1.2"
Spea Showtime PLUS with TSENG ET4000 😀
SPEA 860 GX: No VGA connector and wires all over the PCB. Intel i860 missing on socket? Whats that?

IMG_2170r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2170r.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

SPEA 860 GXP25/R13. Intel i860 missing on socket? Also no VGA connector?
SPEA P39/R16. Intel i860 missing on socket? Also another free socket, I hope with a standard CPU. There are 3 of these, let me know if somebody is interested 😉
SPEA P24 2L FIRE

All cards more or less damaged. I think on the sockets an Intel 860 is missing which I should manage to get. Will see what these cards are used for. Most dont have a BIOS, so I dont think they can be used standalone...