VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23760 of 52813, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw a Creative Voodoo2 12mb (here in Belgium) because I wanted to SLI for the first time. Min was 30€, 40€ was his asking price. As soon as the person saw that 4 people were bidding, he removed the 40€. Money greedy f********** Indeed the downside on increasing interest in old stuff 🙁

Last edited by Murugan on 2018-06-07, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23761 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Murugan wrote:

Saw a Creative Voodoo2 12mb (here in Belgium) I wanted to SLI for the first time. Min was 30€, 40€ was his asking price. As soon that the person saw that 4 people were bidding, he removed the 40€. Money greedy f********** Indeed the downside on increasing interest in old stuff 🙁

That's certainly no different - pretty much the only way to get good stuff at less than stellar prices is for it to be part of a larger lot being sold by someone who doesn't know or care what he's selling (or just wanting to feed stuff back to the community - like the bloke I got my haul from on Tuesday, who certainly knew how attractive his Model M was, and specifically chose not to show it on the pics to keep the gold diggers away).

Reply 23762 of 52813, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Murugan wrote:

Saw a Creative Voodoo2 12mb (here in Belgium) I wanted to SLI for the first time. Min was 30€, 40€ was his asking price. As soon that the person saw that 4 people were bidding, he removed the 40€. Money greedy f********** Indeed the downside on increasing interest in old stuff 🙁

That's certainly no different - pretty much the only way to get good stuff at less than stellar prices is for it to be part of a larger lot being sold by someone who doesn't know or care what he's selling (or just wanting to feed stuff back to the community - like the bloke I got my haul from on Tuesday, who certainly knew how attractive his Model M was, and specifically chose not to show it on the pics to keep the gold diggers away).

These people are becoming scarce...
And a Model M dammmmnnnn 🙁

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23763 of 52813, by Vincent_Vega_SA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got three nice dos/w95 laptops today.
Toshiba 110CS/810 with Pentium 75 in nice shape, fully working except screen.. backlight isn't working
IBM Thinkpad 760XD, nice Pentium MMX machine
And
IBM Thinkpad 380z, screen is broken, but on external display everything it's fine.
Now some cleaning and other staff to do...

Reply 23764 of 52813, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CcSJYCNm.jpg

Went to a thrift store today and got two keyboards for cheap. This practically new Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite was in perfect condition. Only $2.50!

6bmQr82m.jpg

underside

LK97DHjm.jpg

closeup

ING35WFm.jpg

authentic AF

g0qkTcxm.jpg

It works! Tested fine.

exxWpjqm.jpg

Logitech Internet Navigator USB keyboard. Not exciting but I had this keyboard for most of the 2000s and used it daily for a a long time. This one was also in great shape, albeit needed a bit of a cleanup. All the keys work fine. I needed a decent USB keyboard anyways so this will work.

QnSJAKDm.jpg

underside

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23765 of 52813, by pepino_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Graphic accelerator IBM 8514/A
MCA, memory board with 1MB.

Attachments

Reply 23766 of 52813, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
dionb wrote:
Murugan wrote:

@dionb: there seems to be a lot more retro stuff up to the north jeez! Or I can't find it here :p

Can't comment on the relative frequency (it's been 21 years since I lived in BE), but up here it's also hit-and-miss too. You need to watch Marktplaats etc like a hawk and take risks based on bad pics and little to no info. Sometimes you lose, but sometimes (like this week) you win 😉

Yes, and more people being interested in this old junk doesn't help either 😉 Although it's also a blessing, since I need to debulk my collection soon.

I think people with large collections dumping hardware into the market is the only thing keep prices down. Ten years or more ago I knew plenty of people who kept their older machines around for whatever reason, these days older machines not usable on the net are junked the second they are unusable. There are also many more people advertising for your old PC trash compared to a decade ago so they can recycle it.

The gold rush and recycling in general has destroyed quite a bit of older collectable equipment. Same with thrift stores what save games for resale but recycled most hardware donated to them.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 23767 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not so sure about that.

Thrift stores certainly have far less Pentium 2 or older stuff than 10 years ago, but that's in no small part due to the fact that that stuff is 10 years older now. Back in ~2008 stuff from the late 1980s wasn't common either. You still see more than enough ~10 year old PCs in thrift stores, but that means Core2Duo or Athlon64 or later these days. They're as uninteresting to most retro fans now as a Pentium 2 was 10 years back - but that will change with time. The only difference is that starting about 15 years ago, a lot of people stopped buying desktop PCs and moved to laptop and later to mobile. That will seriously reduce the supply in the future, but that hasn't even started to bite yet, as most of us are looking for older things than that.

Reply 23768 of 52813, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been going to computer swapmeets since '97 or so, and i've noticed that you can only really find second hand hardware there - at any price - from within the last 15 years. The interesting thing is that it applies today, when there were far more pentium 1/2 computers made than 286/386 ones

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 23769 of 52813, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

How did you deal with this, waited it out? I had a VLB VGA shipped to me from Spain 1.5 months ago and tracking information suggests it got lost right after it left Spain for international flight, no more tracking information of any kind since. I'm tracking with local post, he's trying Spanish post, nobody can find it. Do these things eventually just pop up? As others noted earlier this is a 5x86 133 processor, not a K5-133 - this one goes onto a 486 motherboard.

I waited it out, unfortunately. I wasn't sure if I was scammed or not but glad I finally got it. The AMD chip is intended for a newer 486 board, just got the name completely wrong. 😀

Reply 23770 of 52813, by PCMG3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IF-SEGA2/PCI
***Floppy disk have error failed

Attachments

• P80608-175524.jpg
    Filename
    P80608-175524.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • P80608-174922.jpg
    Filename
    P80608-174922.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P80608-174750.jpg
    Filename
    P80608-174750.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by PCMG3 on 2018-06-10, 07:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23771 of 52813, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad that here the PowerVR chip is used only as a PCI bridge for that small interface to the Saturn ports...
No actual PowerVR pleasure unfortunately 🙁

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 23773 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Just ordered a CGA card with Composite out from the well known auction site. Its a "Epson Colour Video Board Model Q505A-E", bra […]
Show full quote

Just ordered a CGA card with Composite out from the well known auction site. Its a "Epson Colour Video Board Model Q505A-E", brand new and with original box. Its for 22€ + shipment and therefore quite OK. There are more of them available.

I hope this card will support me playing with Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROMs. There is no support for VGA and I do not have enough space to have my EGA monitors up all the time. With this card I hope I am able to connect to the composite-in of my DELL 2709W main LCD.

s-l1600.jpg

EPSON CGA card arrived today. Usually I expect when its labeled as "new" and the box is on the photo that the box also arrives in good condition and is not used as shipping box...but OK.

IMG_2201.JPG
Filename
IMG_2201.JPG
File size
616.25 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_2203.JPG
Filename
IMG_2203.JPG
File size
746.57 KiB
Views
File license

At least the card is new and unused and does what it is intended for. On the photo its composite out is connected to my DELL flat screen and the picture is shown as PiP. Looks indeed very very good, can recommend this card!

But: This card does really only fit into a 8-bit slot...

Reply 23774 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to get those labels off by heating them up with a hair dryer while peeling them off in order to remove them without damaging the box.

Do a few test label removes on a regular box first to get the hang of it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23775 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Predator99
nice one but run KQ1 in composite mode and see if the grass is green or purple

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23776 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PiP on your monitor is fancy, man. My Samsung SyncMaster 215BW has that as an option as well. Heck, I can watch TV and use my FX-6300 PC at the same time.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23777 of 52813, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

EPSON CGA card arrived today. Usually I expect when its labeled as "new" and the box is on the photo that the box also arrives in good condition and is not used as shipping box...but OK.

I also ordered one of those cards, bummer to hear that my box will probably arrive ruined... Well I guess still better than the one time I bought a new in big box linux distro and it arrived totally smashed and tapped up...

Reply 23778 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@Predator99
nice one but run KQ1 in composite mode and see if the grass is green or purple

IMG_2208.JPG
Filename
IMG_2208.JPG
File size
600.81 KiB
Views
File license

Full Screen:

IMG_2211.JPG
Filename
IMG_2211.JPG
File size
630.85 KiB
Views
File license

😉

Last edited by Predator99 on 2018-06-08, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23779 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

The PiP on your monitor is fancy, man. My Samsung SyncMaster 215BW has that as an option as well. Heck, I can watch TV and use my FX-6300 PC at the same time.

On my DELL PiP only works with composite input, not VGA or HDMI.