VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24440 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know if radios count or not. But, here we go.

m27JccNl.jpg

fsskonfl.jpg

Ml2hMXpl.jpg

Gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/P5gKLLg

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-07-31, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24441 of 52813, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That battery compartment looks strange. What kind of batteries are you supposed to stick in there? Metal plates also look suspiciously glossy to me. Seems to be a recent home-made modification if you ask me.

Reply 24442 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hooked up a 9V battery to the radio (using 2 sets of test leads with a wire on each lead) and it works.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24443 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

That battery compartment looks strange. What kind of batteries are you supposed to stick in there? Metal plates also look suspiciously glossy to me. Seems to be a recent home-made modification if you ask me.

Looks like it would have originally housed some lead-acid battery, but modded to take four D batteries. Which would supply 9V, so no surprise that a 9V brick works.

Reply 24445 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just won this auction:

s-l1600a.jpg
Filename
s-l1600a.jpg
File size
155.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600b.jpg
Filename
s-l1600b.jpg
File size
43.58 KiB
Views
File license

Its an original IBM EGA and the 5170 80286 Mainboard. And an ISA VGA, hopefully a TSENG.

Then I noticed another auction of the same seller:

s-l1600c.jpg
Filename
s-l1600c.jpg
File size
342.25 KiB
Views
File license

😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠

For sure I also had to win this one...! At least all pins seems to be ok, therefore I assume the condition of the MB is also OK...

Reply 24447 of 52813, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:
Roland SCP-55 in shrinkwrap (Japanese packaging). https://i.imgur.com/lIf5E1y.png […]
Show full quote

Roland SCP-55 in shrinkwrap (Japanese packaging).
lIf5E1y.png

It's a great card, if you end up using it!
Does it come with the breakout box?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 24448 of 52813, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:
furan wrote:
Roland SCP-55 in shrinkwrap (Japanese packaging). https://i.imgur.com/lIf5E1y.png […]
Show full quote

Roland SCP-55 in shrinkwrap (Japanese packaging).
lIf5E1y.png

It's a great card, if you end up using it!
Does it come with the breakout box?

MCB-3 on the outer box suggests it does, my boxed SCP-55 (Oceania, I presume = US?) didn't ... took me 20 years to track down the MCB-3 by itself!

Reply 24449 of 52813, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ I love those japaneese boxes…

Meanwhile a few days ago I got this. 586ITOX industrial motherboard ATX - great for big soundcards configuration.

586itox.jpg
Filename
586itox.jpg
File size
692.42 KiB
Views
File comment
586ITOX
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 24451 of 52813, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:
Don't know if radios count or not. But, here we go. […]
Show full quote

Don't know if radios count or not. But, here we go.

m27JccNh.jpg

It looks like its crying out in terror. 😲

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24452 of 52813, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lucky Star 5A A1 Socket 7 motherboard with pentium 166mhz and 8mb ram.
Via chipset.
Baby AT ( really small form factor ).
8.75" x 8.75"

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0697.JPG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0021.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 001.jpg
    Filename
    001.jpg
    File size
    465.35 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24453 of 52813, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Lucky Star 5A A1 Socket 7

Check the caps. One of my Lucky Stars had them quite literally fall off (yes, the thru hole ones).

Reply 24454 of 52813, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't really need another laptop, but as I'm a big fan of IBM Thinkpads, I didn't want to pass this one up when it showed up locally for relatively cheap.

nLUkNMRm.jpg

Thinkpad 760ED. Pentium 133, 32MB RAM, 1024x768 XGA TFT, 2.1 GB HDD, 6x CD-ROM, external floppy drive, and a battery that surprisingly still works. Appears to have been used by the science department for a local high school back from 1997 until 2008. Judging by some of the files that were left on it, by the end of it's time at that school it was being used solely to track inventory for one or more of the science labs at the school.

Unfortunately this is one of those Thinkpads with the dreaded MWave audio. Mostly doesn't sound too terrible. Though Doom E1M1 is noticeably bad in parts and as an added bonus causes the whole system to lock up (regardless of whether I'm booted into Windows or DOS). I've heard it might be possible to swap the sound card out for one of the ESS variants that appeared in certain other 760-models? Anyone here done this by chance?

The BIOS is several versions out of date from what I can see (Feb 1997). Additionally, a number of the drivers that are installed also look to be earlier versions so it's possible I can see some improvements by just doing a fresh install with all the latest driver/BIOS versions *fingers-crossed*.

Finally, I'll add that this has possibly the worst 640x480 / 640x400 screen scaling that I've seen. It's a 1024x768 native display and it looks like it's scaling up to 800x600 only, leaving some leftover black borders all around. Just terrible honestly, haha. Not sure if I will really use this long-term because of that alone. Which is a shame, as for a DOS machine I really like the little LCD display with battery status, etc. on it. Plus I much prefer the trackpoint and mouse buttons on this as compared to my Toshiba. And I generally prefer the keyboard layout on these Thinkpads, but that's not a big deal.

Doesn't look like it will de-throne my Toshiba 430CDT as my portable Win95/DOS machine unless some BIOS/driver updates drastically improve things. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 24455 of 52813, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
blurks wrote:

Looks like it would have originally housed some lead-acid battery, but modded to take four D batteries. Which would supply 9V, so no surprise that a 9V brick works.

4*1.5V=6V. I think you meant six D cell batteries, right? Would probably last a bit longer than one 9V E block!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 24456 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got one of these guys 'cheap': https://www.ebay.com/itm/142877448698

It is a 1GB "industrial" SSD for scsi. Might not be as good as the scsi2sd project, might be better. I will have to do a bit of benchmarking to find out.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24457 of 52813, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:

Finally, I'll add that this has possibly the worst 640x480 / 640x400 screen scaling that I've seen. It's a 1024x768 native display and it looks like it's scaling up to 800x600 only, leaving some leftover black borders all around. Just terrible honestly, haha. Not sure if I will really use this long-term because of that alone. Which is a shame, as for a DOS machine I really like the little LCD display with battery status, etc. on it. Plus I much prefer the trackpoint and mouse buttons on this as compared to my Toshiba. And I generally prefer the keyboard layout on these Thinkpads, but that's not a big deal.

Doesn't look like it will de-throne my Toshiba 430CDT as my portable Win95/DOS machine unless some BIOS/driver updates drastically improve things. 😀

I just sold a Thinkpad 770 that I got a few weeks back. It comes with a CirrusLogic Crystal Audio chip but has the same scaling-issue with it's XGA display. What bothered me even more is the grimy feel tha the rubberized surface had acquired. I read that it is possible to renew this with some product or other (after scraping the old rubber off), but I wasn't going to bother because of the display.

I have since completely disassembled my Toshiba Tecra 510CDT in order to replace that noisy fan. It has about a 100 screws to it and all components are just stacked on top of one another like so many pancakes.. wish I had taken a picture of the mess. I was sweating bullets too, but in the end it wasn't too hard doing it with the maintenace manual, it just took a good long time to reassemble. Maybe I can still find a tool for fan speed control for this one.

Anyway, I'm happily playing Doom 2 and finally finishing the last chapter of Betrayal at Krondor on this one, sitting in my living room and looking out into the garden.

Reply 24458 of 52813, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed a Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition AGP card. It looks like it will need a thorough cleaning from the seller's photo, but it's tested and working. The "Platinum Edition" moniker always seemed out of place and a bit funny to me. It feels like the start of the era of crazy video card naming. I still remember wanting one of these pretty bad back in 2004.

It looks like it's missing a capacitor right next to the molex connector. Does anyone know the specs on that capacitor so I could source a replacement? 😀

Attachments

• x800xt_pe_ebay.jpg
    Filename
    x800xt_pe_ebay.jpg
    File size
    180.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24459 of 52813, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an X800 XTPE the day it was released originally, got a free Tshirt with it too. This is the only video card I've ever had die on me, so be careful. The Tshirt is good though I still wear it often.