Reply 25480 of 52886, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SEGamer wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Have a "Rage 128 Pro" on the way 🤣

rage_fury_maxx.jpg

Got mine the same way where it was listed as a "Rage 128 Pro". I think the last 3 or 4 have been listed that way at decent/good prices.

I've been watching those. Congrats to those that picked them up. Glad to see them showing up here! 🤣 I got mine >10 years ago, but I think I paid more than what a couple of these have gone for lately.

Reply 25481 of 52886, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

I feel the same way about this model.

IMG_1840.JPG

I bought one of those still in the box a few months ago.

Hooked it up to both serial ports of my T5200... not detected. I thought my serial ports were dead... then tried another mouse and discovered that the trackball was dead. Tried taking it apart, but couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Reply 25482 of 52886, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing particularly exciting lately. Yeserday, I stopped at a local old electronics/gadget store and picked up a couple soundcards (a non-OEM Sound Blaster Live! and a Sound Blaster PCI 512) for $5. I didn't know which I wanted to use in the Pentium III system I was downgrading to Win98SE. I ended up using the Live! since it worked perfectly, even in pure DOS mode (which was my main motivation for replacing the Dell OEM Live! I had in there already).

Reply 25483 of 52886, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

[...]

Nice find, but, I have two questions:

1: Is there anything good about them besides the ergonomics (how's the sensor ,etc)?

MS claims they were the first 1500dpi sensor pointing devices. I'm not hugely choosy on that front but they certainly feel accurate. Also, in the trackball world, five buttons and a scroll wheel are still not standard, let alone back ~2000 when these things were made. But it's mainly the ergonomics.

2: WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE?!

Supply & demand. MS stopped making them just as they were getting popular, and most users are very, very enthousiastic about them. Those who have them simply won't sell in most cases. It's telling I've bought two being sold by next-of-kin after the user died...

That said, it's the same as with everything else on eBay - if you want one *NOW* with no effort, you pay through the teeth. If you're patient and follow ads on other platforms you can get them for a fraction of the prices you see there. I've been actively looking for about nine months now and found four for low to moderate prices locally, having passed on a fifth as it started getting pretty expensive.

Reply 25484 of 52886, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hamby wrote:
liqmat wrote:

I feel the same way about this model.

IMG_1840.JPG

I bought one of those still in the box a few months ago.

Hooked it up to both serial ports of my T5200... not detected. I thought my serial ports were dead... then tried another mouse and discovered that the trackball was dead. Tried taking it apart, but couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Yeah, that particular model just had the most comfortable surface area. The wide body just cradled your entire hand and gave full support. So comfortable. The later models had the PS/2 adapter included.

Reply 25485 of 52886, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

rage_fury_maxx.jpg

That's a Rage Fury MAXX. ATI didn't make it work with W2k, so W98/ME only 🙁 I sold mine in 2001 when it became obvious ATI had forgotten about their short lived dual GPU flagship. Bought back for $20 a few years later.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 25486 of 52886, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

MS claims they were the first 1500dpi sensor pointing devices. I'm not hugely choosy on that front but they certainly feel accurate. Also, in the trackball world, five buttons and a scroll wheel are still not standard, let alone back ~2000 when these things were made. But it's mainly the ergonomics.
Supply & demand. MS stopped making them just as they were getting popular, and most users are very, very enthousiastic about them. Those who have them simply won't sell in most cases. It's telling I've bought two being sold by next-of-kin after the user died...

That said, it's the same as with everything else on eBay - if you want one *NOW* with no effort, you pay through the teeth. If you're patient and follow ads on other platforms you can get them for a fraction of the prices you see there. I've been actively looking for about nine months now and found four for low to moderate prices locally, having passed on a fifth as it started getting pretty expensive.

Interesting, thanks for the answer! I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for one at a thrift shop. I'd like to pick one up and see if it lives up to the hype 😊

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 25487 of 52886, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

rage_fury_maxx.jpg

That's a Rage Fury MAXX. ATI didn't make it work with W2k, so W98/ME only 🙁 I sold mine in 2001 when it became obvious ATI had forgotten about their short lived dual GPU flagship. Bought back for $20 a few years later.

He knows. Thats why rage 128 pro is in quotes. 🤣

Reply 25488 of 52886, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Katmai500 wrote:
ph4nt0m wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

rage_fury_maxx.jpg

He knows. Thats why rage 128 pro is in quotes. 🤣

I've got it. Many n00bs sell it this way because there's no MAXX label anywhere. OTOH it says "Rage 128 PRO" on both sides of the PCB and on the fans. Anyway, $70 + postage was a bit expensive IMHO. Although it's a price for a working regular Voodoo 2 these days, so I'm not surprised.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 25489 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

grabbed this yesterday (seller's photo)

qq4gxzMl.png

That extra DB25 connector and all those pin headers and jumpers can be safely ignored according to a more knowledgeable person in this stuff (madowax) since they are the flat panel connectors and configuration pins.
I estimate this will be a really fast ISA card , I've only seen the WD90C33 chip in vlb cards before.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25490 of 52886, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I looked into the E2xx series (along with some Iiyamas and AOCs) back in the day when choosing a 17" CRT and went for a Philips 107P instead, though I can not remember why.. I believe I was charmed by the obscenely high resolution and refresh rates the 107P offered. E2xx was a good series though.

In other news: I found a guy selling a bunch of 486 boards, any of them particularly worth buying?

I want to buy two of these but I can't decide which two..

The third one is the only PCI board with CR32 battery. The fourth one is the only VLB. These would be my "blind" choices without knowing any other technical details about the boards.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 25491 of 52886, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
grabbed this yesterday (seller's photo) […]
Show full quote

grabbed this yesterday (seller's photo)

qq4gxzMl.png

That extra DB25 connector and all those pin headers and jumpers can be safely ignored according to a more knowledgeable person in this stuff (madowax) since they are the flat panel connectors and configuration pins.
I estimate this will be a really fast ISA card , I've only seen the WD90C33 chip in vlb cards before.

I've seen the ISA version before... not sure if 2MB version exist.

If you have CL-GD5434 card, I'd like to see some benchmarks between them in DOS.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 25492 of 52886, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Alright, which one of you bastards outbid me on that 1.4GHz powerleap Dell Dimension XPS T450 on eBay with a VooDoo3? 🙁

That would be me. 🤣 It just arrived yesterday with a broken CPU retention bracket and the powerleap adapter loose inside the case. 😵 It put a few scratches on the Voodoo3 card and a stick of RAM, but thankfully everything seems to be in working order. I'll just have to replace the CPU bracket.

Now it needs a thorough cleaning. The tualeron shows up as a Pentium Pro 1200 MHz in BIOS, but Memtest86+ correctly reported it at 1397 MHz, though as a Pentium III rather than Celeron. It only shows 512 MB of ram at post because I had the potentially damaged stick of RAM out when I took the picture.

P.S. 100th post! 😁

Attachments

• xpst450_1.jpg
    Filename
    xpst450_1.jpg
    File size
    257.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • xpst450_5.jpg
    Filename
    xpst450_5.jpg
    File size
    179.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • xpst450_2.jpg
    Filename
    xpst450_2.jpg
    File size
    316.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • xpst450_3.jpg
    Filename
    xpst450_3.jpg
    File size
    309.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • xpst450_4.jpg
    Filename
    xpst450_4.jpg
    File size
    196.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25493 of 52886, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice machine. That reminds me I need to get on top of restoring my Dimension XPS D333. Does anyone know where I can get one of tose 3.5" drive bay covers? These PC cases don't really accomodate regular drive bay covers. Failing that, I'd be happy to buy a ZIP drive but those things go for stupid amounts of money now, for whatever reason..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25494 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

If you have CL-GD5434 card, I'd like to see some benchmarks between them in DOS.

sadly I don't have a 5434 isa card... just a 5429 😢

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25495 of 52886, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ph4nt0m wrote:

I've got it. Many n00bs sell it this way because there's no MAXX label anywhere. OTOH it says "Rage 128 PRO" on both sides of the PCB and on the fans. Anyway, $70 + postage was a bit expensive IMHO. Although it's a price for a working regular Voodoo 2 these days, so I'm not surprised.

Well, looking at prices that were correctly listed, the lowest one I saw went for about $125 BIN + shipping while the highest I saw was $266 + shipping.

Taking that into account, I should be able to make my money back and then some if I ever decide to sell it.

I'm kinda envious of the person that was able to grab one not too long ago listed as a Rage 120 Pro for only $39.99.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25496 of 52886, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If everything goes alright I should be getting this thing:

https://segaretro.org/Saturn_Music_School_2

Which is software for a Japanese Sega Saturn plus a MIDI interface that turns your Saturn into a General MIDI-based music tutorial/DAW.

Reply 25497 of 52886, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
kixs wrote:

In DOS 5429 and 5434 are pretty close (1-2% difference). So don't worry about it 🤣 In Windows the difference is pretty big (80%+ in favour of 5434).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 25498 of 52886, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:
That would be me. :lol: It just arrived yesterday with a broken CPU retention bracket and the powerleap adapter loose inside th […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

Alright, which one of you bastards outbid me on that 1.4GHz powerleap Dell Dimension XPS T450 on eBay with a VooDoo3? 🙁

That would be me. 🤣 It just arrived yesterday with a broken CPU retention bracket and the powerleap adapter loose inside the case. 😵 It put a few scratches on the Voodoo3 card and a stick of RAM, but thankfully everything seems to be in working order. I'll just have to replace the CPU bracket.

Now it needs a thorough cleaning. The tualeron shows up as a Pentium Pro 1200 MHz in BIOS, but Memtest86+ correctly reported it at 1397 MHz, though as a Pentium III rather than Celeron. It only shows 512 MB of ram at post because I had the potentially damaged stick of RAM out when I took the picture.

P.S. 100th post! 😁

What a neat machine you got there, I'm glad to hear it's in good hands now. Hopefully you manage to get the CPU retention bracket replaced someday.

appiah4 wrote:

Nice machine. That reminds me I need to get on top of restoring my Dimension XPS D333. Does anyone know where I can get one of tose 3.5" drive bay covers? These PC cases don't really accomodate regular drive bay covers. Failing that, I'd be happy to buy a ZIP drive but those things go for stupid amounts of money now, for whatever reason..

If you have a few 3.5" floppy drives to spare, you can always put them in as placeholders. I believe there are 3.5" drive bay covers that have holes for the screwholes that are normally used for holding your drives, maybe those would also be an option?

Reply 25499 of 52886, by pepino_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:
keropi wrote:
kixs wrote:

In DOS 5429 and 5434 are pretty close (1-2% difference). So don't worry about it 🤣 In Windows the difference is pretty big (80%+ in favour of 5434).

Tip for other 2Megs ISA cards: ATI Mach64 and I have seen also Tseng 4000W32i.