Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25980 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fancy.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-11-06, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25981 of 52813, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this wavetable ! Poorly documented on the internet sadly, there's almost no records of it 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 25983 of 52813, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesss!

I got Hexen in the mail, from a VCFED member. To save on shipping, it was packaged inside something else I bought.

This might stir up some controversy, 🤣. I honestly had decent luck with WinMe back in the day, though I found it all came down to what hardware you were running it on. Something <2 years old? Great. Anything else? Hold on tight.

DSC_0366.JPG
Filename
DSC_0366.JPG
File size
126.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Still, I'm pretty tickled to have this. 😁

Reply 25984 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thallanor wrote:
Yesss! […]
Show full quote

Yesss!

I got Hexen in the mail, from a VCFED member. To save on shipping, it was packaged inside something else I bought.

This might stir up some controversy, 🤣. I honestly had decent luck with WinMe back in the day, though I found it all came down to what hardware you were running it on. Something <2 years old? Great. Anything else? Hold on tight.

DSC_0366.JPG

Yes, I had the same experience with Vista. Why everyone else was having issues with it and hating on it I had zero problems and it was quite a nice OS for me.

Reply 25985 of 52813, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had Win ME but recently I installed it on my K6-3 build and a Pentium 3 laptop 😀
Haven't tried it in depth so far. I just disabled system restore.

@dionb: sorry for disappointing you with the case 😵 . Gave it a good scrub yesterday. I need to find a way for cleaning the plastic top. I used a chemical on it and it interacted with the plastic 🙁 It was in dirty shape to begin with.
The caps look good but they look the same as on another MSI P3 board. There were 4 or 5 bloated.....Bad quality...

When it's assembled and cleaned again, I'll take care of the BIOS. It does give config errors.
The only thing so far I don't like about this board is the location of the V3 chip and fan. Installing another fan or heatsink interferes with the fan of the CPU.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 25986 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Murugan wrote:

Never had Win ME but recently I installed it on my K6-3 build and a Pentium 3 laptop 😀

Not sure why you would install Me if you would disable the only thing that makes it worth your while..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25987 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ME combined with wdm drivers is really nice. System restore on the other hand is a drag on cpu and performance, I also killed it back then.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25989 of 52813, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two tubes with some SAA1099P arrived. Were earlier than expected. China mail seems to step up its pace before christmas. 😉

A5944274-DE74-4BE5-8C3C-764DD000F180.jpeg
Filename
A5944274-DE74-4BE5-8C3C-764DD000F180.jpeg
File size
635.36 KiB
Views
File license

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 25990 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Murugan wrote:

[...]

@dionb: sorry for disappointing you with the case 😵 . Gave it a good scrub yesterday. I need to find a way for cleaning the plastic top. I used a chemical on it and it interacted with the plastic 🙁 It was in dirty shape to begin with.

Been down the same path, this is what mine looked like before cleaning:
full.png

After also trying ever more potent chemicals and eventually starting to melt away the paint on one of the side panels, I gave up and threw it in the dishwasher. First run removed all the stains, the second got rid of all the smell. Can recommend - the plastic on your Spheris II should be the same as on my Squarius II.

The only thing so far I don't like about this board is the location of the V3 chip and fan. Installing another fan or heatsink interferes with the fan of the CPU.

What irritates me is the lack of mounting holes around the V3 - so you can only cool it with what will stick to it. Big passive heatsinks aren't an option.

Reply 25991 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thallanor wrote:

Yesss!
I honestly had decent luck with WinMe back in the day, though I found it all came down to what hardware you were running it on. Something <2 years old?

I had nothing but trouble on all my personal hardware, back around 1999/2000 or when that was released.
Yet my parents had an Compaq with an 900 or mhz P3, and Gefore2-GTS. They had zero issues.
Everyone else I knew had all sorts of problems with ME as well.
Indeed you had to have the correct hardware, the correct drivers, and don't you dare change any of that.
If you upgraded the drivers or changed the hardware configuration, you would get into trouble.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25992 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
Thallanor wrote:
Yesss! […]
Show full quote

Yesss!

DSC_0366.JPG

Yes, I had the same experience with Vista. Why everyone else was having issues with it and hating on it I had zero problems and it was quite a nice OS for me.

Vista was absolutely horrible before SP1. After SP1 it was just fine.

The biggest problem I had before SP1 was the massive obvious bug with file transfers. Oh yeah, I want to let my computer take an infinite amount of time to move a folder with files from one drive to another.
Another problem was that the hardware mfgs didn't have any drivers and most of the ones that did had super buggy drivers.

The biggest problem with Vista overall was that the OEMs took Microsoft's minimum system requirements for it and then sold machines with Vista on them that had specs not even good enough to run XP well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25993 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Murugan wrote:

Not sure why you would install Me if you would disable the only thing that makes it worth your while..

"System Restore", even up to Windows 8.1 is nothing more than "maybe get your computer working well enough to recover files".

Past that it is a pile of steaming poo. Nothing ever works right again and it makes everything super flaky.

I also don't have it enabled with Windows 10. Just keep my files backed up. So much easier to just re-install Windows than to use System Restore.
If your computer gets to the point of needing a "System Restore" it is high time Windows is re-installed from scratch anyway.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25995 of 52813, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:

I read about disabling the system Restore on Vogons so I did 😀
Haven't installed the unofficial SP yet.

I am undecided if I will install WinMe on any of my builds yet, not for dislike but because most are MS-DOS builds. But if I do, I too will be looking into the unofficial Service Packs. Heck, same thing if I go with Win95 or Win98SE. 😀

Reply 25996 of 52813, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Thallanor wrote:

I had nothing but trouble on all my personal hardware, back around 1999/2000 or when that was released.
Yet my parents had an Compaq with an 900 or mhz P3, and Gefore2-GTS. They had zero issues.

I suspect, fearing being swamped with support requests, most OEMs stuck very close to a very specific set of hardware with better driver support. That's all I've got. 😁

Reply 25997 of 52813, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Vista was absolutely horrible before SP1. After SP1 it was just fine.

Exactly. And I got into Vista so late in the game that it wasn't an issue for me. 😀

cyclone3d wrote:

The biggest problem with Vista overall was that the OEMs took Microsoft's minimum system requirements for it and then sold machines with Vista on them that had specs not even good enough to run XP well.

Good old "Vista Capable." I remember that. It wasn't new to Vista either, but it certainly had the biggest impact.

Reply 25998 of 52813, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCChips motherboard with AMD Athlon and Via chipset. For a modern computer build to clock down and play 386 computer games.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0437.JPG
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25999 of 52813, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I (almost) hit a jackpot today, I believe it's an 5950 Ultra and it cost me 5€. However, the last mosfet on the right side of the cooler is burned and I need to replace it before I can say if this thing actually works or not. Fingers crossed... 😊

fx.jpg
Filename
fx.jpg
File size
255.79 KiB
Views
File license