VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26940 of 53312, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Working condition. I havn't checked built-in FDD and HDD controller (they fail sometimes on the boards). Small battery leak to neutralize (in a few months it would be a catastrophe though). Paid under 10 USD (in Polish money).

It's second SUNTAC-286P in my collection. On the first picture a coparison with a board I owned for the last 20 years or so (and which is my pride and joy - very good, stable motherboard in perfect condition too). As you can see there are some minor differences. It also shows how companies not only cloned many aspects of 5170 but also each other…

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 26941 of 53312, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait a minute: integrated FDD and HDD on a 286 AT motherboard? Slap me and call me Shirley.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 26942 of 53312, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

Working condition. I havn't checked built-in FDD and HDD controller (they fail sometimes on the boards). Small battery leak to neutralize (in a few months it would be a catastrophe though). Paid under 10 USD (in Polish money).

It's second SUNTAC-286P in my collection. On the first picture a coparison with a board I owned for the last 20 years or so (and which is my pride and joy - very good, stable motherboard in perfect condition too). As you can see there are some minor differences. It also shows how companies not only cloned many aspects of 5170 but also each other…

Nice boards, great find!

bjwil1991 wrote:

Wait a minute: integrated FDD and HDD on a 286 AT motherboard? Slap me and call me Shirley.

shirley.gif
Filename
shirley.gif
File size
1022.08 KiB
Views
1957 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26943 of 53312, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Behold, the QX9750: Somehow I don't think the BIOS is reading the operating speed correctly. It looks to be reading ~1333 x 9.5 […]
Show full quote

Behold, the QX9750:
Somehow I don't think the BIOS is reading the operating speed correctly. It looks to be reading ~1333 x 9.5 instead of 333 x 9.5 ... weird.

BIOS.JPG

I was actually quite surprised to see the BIOS recognize the CPU model correctly since it was never even released and the only samples were supposedly given to people working at Intel. I've only been able to dig up a few mentions of this CPU.
Lot's of misinformation about it floating around unless there were different versions of it. Unlike the QX9770, it runs at 1333fsb instead of 1600fsb.

The BIOS (1.60) is too old. And it doesn't support 45nm s775 CPUs. I have the similar issue with Wolfdale Pentium E5x00 on Asrock 775i945gz. Moreover CPU-Z shows that the CPU works only at 1200MHz in Windows 7. What about yours? Have you tested it in Windows yet?
I asked the manufacture support to send me beta bios they have for sure but there's no answer yet.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 26944 of 53312, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still cant believe whats inside the box I received today...in fact one of the best lots I have bought up to date! Around 10 kg and nothing in this box I would not like to keep. Even more surprised as there were more items inside than shown on sellers photos. I.e. I didnt expect that Suntac board.

Currently sad that I didnt buy his other lots, but I am sure another collector got it.

Octek G2 80286:

IMG_0832r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0832r.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

386 with Copro:

IMG_0833r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0833r.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Suntac 80286:

IMG_0834r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0834r.jpg
File size
1.95 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

C&T 386 with corresponding memory board:

IMG_0836r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0836r.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Morse 80386:

IMG_0837r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0837r.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Predator99 on 2019-01-25, 17:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26945 of 53312, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EGA/VGA combo cards. Top one looks like a GUS, found the missing 2 crystals in the box:

IMG_0838r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0838r.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Memory expansion boards: Unknown, Intel Aboveboard, IBM 64-256KB

IMG_0840.JPG
Filename
IMG_0840.JPG
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Cyrix 486DLC and Cx87DLC ... never seen before:

IMG_0841r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0841r.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Controller cards...3COM Ethernet on the bottom? Seem to be more components on this card:

IMG_0843r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0843r.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

More controllers:

IMG_0844r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0844r.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
1918 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Some corrosion and minor damages, but all look fixable!

Reply 26946 of 53312, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Still cant believe whats inside the box I received today...in fact one of the best lots I have bought up to date! Around 10 kg and nothing in this box I would not like to keep. Even more surprised as there were more items inside than shown on sellers photos. I.e. I didnt expect that Suntac board.

Nice finds!

Hopefully the battery leak dammage is not too bad.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 26947 of 53312, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Predator99 wrote:

EGA/VGA combo cards. Top one looks like a GUS, found the missing 2 crystals in the box:

IMG_0838r.jpg

Nice finds! I've also got one of those red EGA/VGA cards, they are quite decently fast, faster than an ET3000 in my testing.

Reply 26948 of 53312, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
SEGamer wrote:

Motherboard from the Ukraine finally arrived but one problem...

IMG_20190124_173921.jpg

No VLB slots?! The one in the pictures clearly had them, so this'll be interesting to sort out.

Mine also has no VLB slots. And no BIOS chip.

SW-SSG wrote:

Oh neat, I was watching the listing for the FIC for a while but ultimately decided against it. Nice to see that it was the real deal...

^Perhaps I spoke too soon... :\

Odd that an MB that has, as its main feature (AFAIK), PCI together with VLB would occasionally skip the VLB slots. That and a missing BIOS ROM makes me wonder if the previous owner (like, previous to the Ebay seller) re-purposed some of their unused stock for fixing broken boards or something.

Either way, I'd like to think the seller actually will honour refunds, considering that what was received doesn't match the photos.

Reply 26949 of 53312, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SW-SSG wrote:

^Perhaps I spoke too soon... :\

Odd that an MB that has, as its main feature (AFAIK), PCI together with VLB would occasionally skip the VLB slots. That and a missing BIOS ROM makes me wonder if the previous owner (like, previous to the Ebay seller) re-purposed some of their unused stock for fixing broken boards or something.

Either way, I'd like to think the seller actually will honour refunds, considering that what was received doesn't match the photos.

I got a response today from them saying they'll send the correct board and I can keep the one that originally came, so we'll see if the next one is right 🤣

Cyrix200+ wrote:
SEGamer wrote:

Motherboard from the Ukraine finally arrived but one problem...

IMG_20190124_173921.jpg

No VLB slots?! The one in the pictures clearly had them, so this'll be interesting to sort out.

Mine also has no VLB slots. And no BIOS chip.

I'm not sure how they missed this. Granted they probably never seen a motherboard let alone ones as old as these before and for some reason never noticed the differences.

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 26952 of 53312, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

E[...]

Controller cards...3COM Ethernet on the bottom? Seem to be more components on this card:

IMG_0843r.jpg

Hey, a 3Com 3C505 😀 - haven't seen one of them in the flesh before. Pretty obscure beast, I've never been able to figure out what the added value was over a regular 3C503.

Reply 26953 of 53312, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustDavid wrote:

Bought myself a AOPEN AW744L II. Great PCI Soundcard!
Had to pay shipping from america to germany tho, which was almost as much as the card itself... but still well worth it ; )

They are decent and very compatible in DOS (in the late 90s/early 00s I used YMF724 based cards and loved them). You should look at Allegro here: https://allegro.pl/oferta/yamaha-ymf744-xp-be … live-7696586587 - they have plenty of those, and not too higg price - like 11 euros, and shipping to germany would be cheap as well. I bought one from them last year - they sold them for half the price though back then...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 26954 of 53312, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Yesteryesterday I bought at the computer parts store that I go since 2014 two mouses, a 2000 Compaq one made by Logitech and an IBM one from 1995

805529127_162314.jpg
Filename
805529127_162314.jpg
File size
99.27 KiB
Views
1741 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But today to get the "IBM bundle" complete I decided to buy the matching keyboard since it was the same two tone color and it needs some cosmetic TLC but I cleaned the keys today so aside from the plastic being burnt because it was used by an industry (judging by the impossible to remove gunk on the back) the keyboard works great :3

ibmbefore.jpg
Filename
ibmbefore.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
1741 views
File comment
IBM keyboard before
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ibmafter.jpg
Filename
ibmafter.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
1741 views
File comment
IBM keyboard after
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ibmbundle.jpg
Filename
ibmbundle.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
1741 views
File comment
Mouse and keyboard from the same era :3
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The IBM keyboard was made by Chicony and it has a high quality rubber dome membrane and it is comfortable aside missing one of it's legs because it broke

To be fair is the second filthiest keyboard that I clean in my life, the first one being that Compaq "namba" switch keyboard made by NMB which is a semimechanical one :3

BTW, I need help with the frame due to the burnouts, I use a file or sandpaper just to smooth out the edges because it is literally full of burn spots .-.

Reply 26955 of 53312, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Am I allowed to post media in the hardware acquisitions? Found a good haul of media and software at the goodwill outlet.

Attachments

  • 20190125_222150-1.jpg
    Filename
    20190125_222150-1.jpg
    File size
    686.11 KiB
    Views
    1723 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 26957 of 53312, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
detritus olentus wrote:

Am I allowed to post media in the hardware acquisitions? Found a good haul of media and software at the goodwill outlet.

That pink floppy on the very left has a date of 07, so whoever had these were using floppies pretty late in the game. Pretty unusual for a Goodwill to have used floppies like this. In my experience, they just throw those things away. So nice find. I can't say I would get too excited about that one disk labeled "Applied Hydrogeology, 3rd Edition". That sounds like a disk full of weekend fun!

Reply 26959 of 53312, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Got this Tyan S2460 motherboard along with cpus and coolers for 25€. I was told it works, i sure hope so it does!

file.php?mode=view&id=58262&sid=2701e6ff4eb55d051310268f2e574364

Attachments

  • IMG_20190126_221137.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190126_221137.jpg
    File size
    861.12 KiB
    Views
    1886 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!