VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28240 of 45905, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, havn't bought it today but over last 2-3 months, but the last one arrived last week.
I love ST157As. Best hard drives ever. :]
Three of them work as good as new. Last one has some issues though (I have to low-level format it from time to time - disobeying the label) otherwise it will have trouble reading files. Still no bad sectors on any of these drives.

WP_20190413_19_41_31_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190413_19_41_31_Rich.jpg
File size
443.36 KiB
Views
963 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Want to buy AT cases, motherboards and other vintage stuff? My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28241 of 45905, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:
@Artex […]
Show full quote

@Artex

Are those caps original ?
Those are beast.
I have a PAS16 with small blue caps it is a Gateway 2000 part number.

Yep!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 28242 of 45905, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so much the last few months, this was it. Sorry for the (sometimes) crappy pictures.

I bought a box of e-Waste 😉 There was more but no pictures, they were CDROM drives and floppy drives, nice old ones in different shades of beige and grey. I like having some to choose from to get an authentic look.

Loooooong ISA card. Anybody have any idea what this might be? It's labeled MCS 8603/2. EDIT: Googling finds this: "The TDA3561A is a decoder for the PAL colour television standard."
0jk0oD6l.jpg?1
zEwfxFhl.jpg
G4SbPk3l.jpg
JI9ZCRCl.jpg?1

Plexwriter with caddy. I hope it works
7TFiv0Rl.jpg

Sony computer interface board for a VHS? player. I have no use for it.
c1TBNERl.jpg

Some old video cards, nothing exciting
jSBHWA6l.jpg?1

VLB controllers
izIimtQl.jpg

From other seller:

Maxi Games Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra
mrtYUQ1l.jpg

Saving the best for last. Bottom one is in a sorry state. But they were not expensive. Not tested yet, had a busy weekend.

WFElqAbl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 28243 of 45905, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No pictures yet but yesterday I bought:

1) NES unboxed that needs a cleaning
2) classic Xbox unboxed that also needs a cleaning
3) Tandy 1000 TL: turns on but need to hook up a monitor to see if it actually works and then....give it a good scrub 😀
4) IBM 5162 'as is' so need to check it. Got some free floppies and xt guide to operations along with it.

And now I need to stop due to buying a house and needing money for that :p

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 28244 of 45905, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Never seen something like this, is that a server board? I bought it with a couple of other boards but i dont know whats that. Only photo, I see its Compaq. It looks like there goes SD rams and a notebook ram (or something which look like a notebook ram) Your opinion ?

Attachments

  • IMG_20190404_150100.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190404_150100.jpg
    File size
    772.82 KiB
    Views
    749 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28245 of 45905, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like a server board to me. And the slot next to the riser board is possibly a Level 2 cache or something thereof? Do you see a P/N number on that boar or a serial number? The SD-RAM slots are the server graded ones and require the server graded SD-RAM. I had a Dell PowerEdge 6300 server of similar vintage or board style and that thing weighed about 50 pounds. Took it apart years ago, yet, I kept the SCSI hard drives and the Pentium II Xeon 400 processors.

Speaking of servers, I saw an HP Visualize J5600 server (runs on PA-RISC PA-8600 @ 550MHz) at a thrift store for $99.99 (almost took it, but, they only accept cash, and that thing wouldn't fit in my 4-door sedan). Also, did you know that the processors for servers (PA-RISC) and the Nintendo 64 (NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)) were 64-bit CPUs in the 1990's before Intel and AMD adapted the 64-bit architecture? The server itself had memory support up to a whopping 8GB (their type of RAM) and RAM that size used to cost a lot in the 1990's.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to FX-8350
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28246 of 45905, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That slot next to the riser board is an RAM expansion for the onboard ATI Rage 3D PRO chip.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 28247 of 45905, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's interesting.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to FX-8350
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28248 of 45905, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

That looks like a server board to me. And the slot next to the riser board is possibly a Level 2 cache or something thereof? Do you see a P/N number on that boar or a serial number? The SD-RAM slots are the server graded ones and require the server graded SD-RAM. I had a Dell PowerEdge 6300 server of similar vintage or board style and that thing weighed about 50 pounds. Took it apart years ago, yet, I kept the SCSI hard drives and the Pentium II Xeon 400 processors.

Speaking of servers, I saw an HP Visualize J5600 server (runs on PA-RISC PA-8600 @ 550MHz) at a thrift store for $99.99 (almost took it, but, they only accept cash, and that thing wouldn't fit in my 4-door sedan). Also, did you know that the processors for servers (PA-RISC) and the Nintendo 64 (NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)) were 64-bit CPUs in the 1990's before Intel and AMD adapted the 64-bit architecture? The server itself had memory support up to a whopping 8GB (their type of RAM) and RAM that size used to cost a lot in the 1990's.

I have no power supply to this, no ram, so I can't test it 😢

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28249 of 45905, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That board looks very similar to ones in couple Compaq Deskpros I have here.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 28251 of 45905, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I just received a graphics card I got for a vintage desktop I'm currently working on. It's an Intel RH1N07 graphics card, and I got on eBay last week. This is a replacement graphics card for this PC, because I screwed up its previous one.
1555356816.th.4661.JPG
Basically a VGA graphics card. It also has a little cooling fan, because graphics cards do need to work hard for their money 😁

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 28253 of 45905, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
respect2759 wrote:

Never seen something like this, is that a server board? I bought it with a couple of other boards but i dont know whats that. Only photo, I see its Compaq. It looks like there goes SD rams and a notebook ram (or something which look like a notebook ram) Your opinion ?

That's a Compaq Deskpro EN, from the pentium II era - the fan on there is odd, maybe it's a klamath PII?
The SODIMM slot is for VRAM expansion memory, fairly pointless.

See here for some pictures of what it looks like disassembled (not my site)
The diagonal power supply connector is what gives it away, that case & psu are very specific to that model

Reply 28254 of 45905, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
wiretap wrote:

Well don't screw up the second one.. It is on carpet. 🤣

Pfft! I doubt having a graphics card on a carpet won't hurt it. I actually screwed the last one up because back when I took this desktop apart to clean it, I was being a little dumb and tried to take the card's main chip off with a knife (I thought I could convert this vintage computer into a modern gaming PC, but that was an epic fail).

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 28255 of 45905, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity 😀

Reply 28256 of 45905, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
retardware wrote:

Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

Who said I had cats? 🤣 No, I do not have any pets.

retardware wrote:

And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity 😀

Yeah, I guess I couldn't agree more. Static electricity can harm hardware. But luckily it's spring time, so I don't have to worry about that (static electricity occurs mostly in winter).

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 28257 of 45905, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:
Who said I had cats? :lol: No, I do not have any pets. […]
Show full quote
retardware wrote:

Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

Who said I had cats? 🤣 No, I do not have any pets.

retardware wrote:

And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity 😀

Yeah, I guess I couldn't agree more. Static electricity can harm hardware. But luckily it's spring time, so I don't have to worry about that (static electricity occurs mostly in winter).

No, it occurs anytime the right atmospheric conditions are combined with rubbing the fabric that may become loaded with static electricity.

Which, depending on the country, may occur throughout the whole year, and is more likely to occur inside than outside due to heating drying the inside air. 😀

Reply 28258 of 45905, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Well don't screw up the second one.. It is on carpet. 🤣

Pfft! I doubt having a graphics card on a carpet won't hurt it. I actually screwed the last one up because back when I took this desktop apart to clean it, I was being a little dumb and tried to take the card's main chip off with a knife (I thought I could convert this vintage computer into a modern gaming PC, but that was an epic fail).

Yes, it would be very likely to hurt it, common with a latent failure. Here's some science for you. https://www.esda.org/about-esd/esd-fundamenta … duction-to-esd/
The whole six part handbook: https://www.esda.org/about-esd/esd-fundamentals/
Another whitepaper from Texas Instruments: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/ssya010a/ssya010a.pdf
Another whitepaper from Microchip Technology: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00001785a.pdf
Here's a nice illustration using the Human Body Model for what type damage occurs: http://www.desco.com/ppt/Photos_of_ESD_Damage_Desco.ppsx

I always see people say "oh well I've been doing this for 20 years and I've never had any problems".. but they're always posting about weird issues with their hardware, like BSOD's, random parts dying later on down the road, odd post failures, etc. Then they get offended when you mention ESD controls.. a very basic proper handling of circuit boards to prevent damage that doesn't always show up right away. The damage is microscopic. I send out dozens of boards per year for electron microscope / x-ray / destructive failure analysis and see it all the time from improper ESD controls which damage or degrade gates/junctions. I've seen everything from no failures with imminent failure possible, to random reboots happening, to shifted/scrambled bits in CMOS devices to flat out failures where the static electricity blows apart logic gates. There's a reason why companies spend millions of dollars a year on ESD controls when manufacturing and packaging circuit boards.

Anyhow, you can easily prevent it at home (or limit it like 95%+) by spending a few bucks on a properly grounded mat, wrist strap, and HVAC control.

Circuit Board Repair Manuals
My Project List

Reply 28259 of 45905, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I've just received this beauty, but then realized that a proper DB15 midi cable is even harder, if not impossible to get nowadays.
There are some Chinese vendors who sell them, but one of them confirmed that it does not come with the extra resistors etc built in. Any idea where can I source it?

uihKTe2.jpg

Last edited by stalk3r on 2019-04-16, 11:40. Edited 2 times in total.