Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28340 of 52694, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Socket3 wrote:
I got a boxed Amiga 500 today. I don't usually collect non-x86 computers, but the 500 always fascinated me, and I got this machi […]
Show full quote

I got a boxed Amiga 500 today. I don't usually collect non-x86 computers, but the 500 always fascinated me, and I got this machine for a very good price. It came with a mouse, S-Video atapter, power brick and a box full of Amiga games.

qfmbsl3l.jpg

OkJWJ3Pl.jpg

I've said this before, but I like repeating myself. Used an Amiga 500 live on stage with my electronic band as a drum machine in the late 80s using this software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMwHp79R2k

Cheesy demo tracks on it, but quite capable for the time. That Amiga 500 kept working after hours in hot clubs with lots of smoke machines and other unidentified gaseous and liquid substances thrown at it.

Reply 28341 of 52694, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
assasincz wrote:
stalk3r wrote:

Shuttle HOT-419 Rev 3

I have the same mainboard in my 486 build, paired with 486 DX4 100mhz, happy to help if need be....

Great, thanks. I will PM if I run into trouble with the board.

Reply 28342 of 52694, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stalk3r wrote:

Could it be a good companion for a SC-55 module, and for early 90's DOS games in general?

Edit: I saw the link on your signature, awesome project there

It is one of the better sound cards as far as sound quality goes and there's very few games that aren't gonna work properly with it.
Thänk you ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 28343 of 52694, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

TI-84 Plus calculators are not "retro". They still sell them as brand new. My school uses those same calculators, believe it or not. However, some students have been using the most recent TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculators with enhanced features.

Yeah I know, but I'd consider a Z80(?) with memory measured in kilobytes more 'retro' than modern regardless of when it was sold. 😜

I wanted to try some homebrew/demoscene stuff on it, but I probably won't hang onto it forever. I've never used one of these before. Thankfully my school zone didn't mandate their students buy any specific overpriced calculator when I went through. Thanks, TI lobbyists.

But Texas Instruments introduced their TI-84 Plus graphing calculator series in 2004. I wouldn't call that "vintage". Like I said, they're still being sold, and they're still pretty ideal for mathematics. And for your second statement, students at my school didn't buy the calculators themselves, they belong to the school for students to borrow.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 28344 of 52694, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a "NIB" or close to it Cyrix FasMath 40Mhz. So fas hey lef ou he ee.

fasmath.jpg
Filename
fasmath.jpg
File size
139.29 KiB
Views
File comment
Cyrix Fasmath
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm going to use it in an upcoming 386 build.

Reply 28345 of 52694, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for my pentium 4 build.

big heat meet big copper. new cooler master hyper 6.

cooler.master.hyper.6.jpg
Filename
cooler.master.hyper.6.jpg
File size
552.89 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 28346 of 52694, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote:
I got a boxed Amiga 500 today. I don't usually collect non-x86 computers, but the 500 always fascinated me, and I got this machi […]
Show full quote

I got a boxed Amiga 500 today. I don't usually collect non-x86 computers, but the 500 always fascinated me, and I got this machine for a very good price. It came with a mouse, S-Video atapter, power brick and a box full of Amiga games.

qfmbsl3l.jpg

OkJWJ3Pl.jpg

Congrats... It is an awesome machine. Is it upgraded to at least 1mb of Ram?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 28347 of 52694, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Clean-out party at a friends house.

CGS_8393.jpg

Nothing too special. Mismatched Voodoo II pair, two S3 805-based VLB video cards, two 3C509B network cards, a VLB I/O card with IDE controller, Awe32/SB32 and an AWE64 Gold sound card.

Oh, and a Tyan 486VL board, which has EISA, VLB, support for 256mb in 30 pin SIMMs, 1mb cache and yes, there's an 83mhz Pentium Overdrive installed.
CGS_8394.jpg

There was also a couple Minidiscs thrown in.
CGS_8395.jpg

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 28348 of 52694, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:
Oh, and a Tyan 486VL board, which has EISA, VLB, support for 256mb in 30 pin SIMMs, 1mb cache and yes, there's an 83mhz Pentium […]
Show full quote

Oh, and a Tyan 486VL board, which has EISA, VLB, support for 256mb in 30 pin SIMMs, 1mb cache and yes, there's an 83mhz Pentium Overdrive installed.
CGS_8394.jpg

That's a handsome board right there. Not to mention 256MB is an insane amount of memory for a 486 board. I have an EISA 486 motherboard that is similar that was used in a physics dept. at a university with 64MB of RAM from 1993-94 which was also a very large amount for the time. I am going to try to post about it in the near future as it has a very early DPT EISA RAID controller installed.

Reply 28349 of 52694, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@CelGen - the PC parts are pretty sweet, but I'm insanely jealous of your minidisc carry case.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 28351 of 52694, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So that's what a Pentium motherboard could have been looking like if they still used 30 pin RAM 🤣

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28352 of 52694, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I almost bought HP Omnibook 4000CT. I have a soft spot for DOS era laptops with 640x480 TFT screens, wanted to give it a try. Sadly, I am in the middle of moving to a new house and got so preoccupied with things that I forgot to place my bid. It finally sold for about twenty Euro, which makes me even more sad.

Reply 28353 of 52694, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

. The original receipt was still in the package; somebody paid $169.99+tax for this thing in 2010. 🙁

Why would someone buy such an expensive calculator and not use it? Quitter? 😁

Reply 28354 of 52694, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:

Like I said, they're still being sold, and they're still pretty ideal for mathematics.

I have owned one since 2004/2005 in high school and that calculator is not ideal for mathematics. It is slow with drawing graphs and more importantly the screen is monochrome, so you can't get colored graphs. Furthermore it only runs on batteries (at least my version did) and of course the batteries were empty just when you needed it the most 😵 The thing is also just too large to be a handy calculator. Glad I got rid of it at the right time.

Reply 28356 of 52694, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered a Primax Soundstorm Wave last week. It's a late Gravis Ultrasound Classic clone for all intents and purposes.

MYXi7Vvm.jpg

I want to couple this card with an Edison Gold 16 (non-PnP ESS686 with a real OPL3 chip) in some kind of DOS/Win3.11 machine and so now I'm trying to come up with some kind of pre-Win9x build that would "make sense". This should probably be some kind of really late Socket 3 or a budget Socket 5 (like AMD K5-133 on an Opti Viper motherboard).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 28357 of 52694, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote:

I almost bought HP Omnibook 4000CT. I have a soft spot for DOS era laptops with 640x480 TFT screens, wanted to give it a try. Sadly, I am in the middle of moving to a new house and got so preoccupied with things that I forgot to place my bid. It finally sold for about twenty Euro, which makes me even more sad.

I feel you, Oldcat! I missed out on an old SLR camera the other day that I really wanted and it went for like 6€...

Reply 28358 of 52694, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro PCI graphics card for my (now) MMX 200Mhz build, for equivalent of 2 USD.

FIRE01.jpg
Filename
FIRE01.jpg
File size
488.85 KiB
Views
File license

It works just fine, there was a bit of corrosion on the VGA port but I got rid of it.
Now Quake 2 is "almost" playable (640x480 at OpenGL)....but much better than SW rendering...

Reply 28359 of 52694, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A new addition to the family...

SLT.jpg
Filename
SLT.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File comment
Compaq SLT 386
File license

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks