hardware31_05.jpg
Filename
hardware31_05.jpg
File size
196.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Cherry G80-1000 with (vintage?) MX blue, has a PC/AT switch on the bottom... PC meaning XT in this case according to the info I could find, a bit of confusing labeling there ^^
and a K104 that intrigued me, it has white alps and probably the chunkiest spacebar clack on any keyboard I have owned so far, it has a three position switch on the bottom AT/XT... and... I don't know what the third mode is?
the K104 definitely has seen better days, the backspace key gets stuck, though that can probably be fixed, and the key legends are rubbed off on some keys, but I couldn't pass for the price.

also got a completely different kind of scrap box this time around ^^

hardware31_06.jpg
Filename
hardware31_06.jpg
File size
156.62 KiB
Views
File license

a box full of slot brackets 😁
already sorted out some sound card brackets to the right and here's the first happy recipient of a donor bracket. a CT3620 that apparently got a recap from a previous owner?

hardware31_07.jpg
Filename
hardware31_07.jpg
File size
199.39 KiB
Views
File license

unfortunately didn't find one that fits my naked CT1600

Last edited by imi on 2019-10-02, 20:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30541 of 52813, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Toshiba Libretto 50CT 😀
Everyone seems to love these. Now I know why... it's tiny! Floppy disk for scale.
Still waiting on my AC adapter to arrive so I can actually use it.

Libretto50CT.jpg
Filename
Libretto50CT.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 30542 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Other parts from the XT-box...all thrown together:
ST-238R - cover broken during transport

IMG_5344.JPG
Filename
IMG_5344.JPG
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license

Olivetti ope HDC 372 MFM hard card 8-bit: Short test in a 486: Drive spins up and is detected, but no boot. Should be fixable. 21 MB / 611 CYL / 4 HEAD / 17 SpT

IMG_5340.JPG
Filename
IMG_5340.JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5339.JPG
Filename
IMG_5339.JPG
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license

Very tiny 286 Desktop: "CT Computer". Unfortunately there are many scratches everywhere as the hard disks and the XT-boards were lying directly on it 🙁

IMG_5341.JPG
Filename
IMG_5341.JPG
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5343.JPG
Filename
IMG_5343.JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30543 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

<snip>
So Cyrix200+, I would be very happy about a ROM-image. Think I need it to use the 8-bit IDE and floppy interface.
<snip>

Had a look at my board, and it's not the same, seems to be an older type. Marked 5107 265 169. It's from a Philips NMS9100 (9110).

odyEivJl.jpg?1

I have still added the BIOS image to this post, who knows...

Attachments

• Filename
    PhilipsNMS9100.zip
    File size
    7.83 KiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File license

1982 to 2001

Reply 30544 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

Saved from the crusher today.

Nice machine, what is it?

If I wouldn't save it myself I would have pulled everything from it. Anything newer than a Pentium I tend to part out and leave the rest.

Reply 30545 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

The attachment IMG_5344.JPG is no longer available

I have new old stock replacement covers for those. Bad news: They are all in storage 1600 miles from me. Good news: I happen to have one new old stock black cover in my south storage unit. PM me if you want it.

MFM_cover.jpg
Filename
MFM_cover.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30546 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Very tiny 286 Desktop: "CT Computer". Unfortunately there are many scratches everywhere as the hard disks and the XT-boards were lying directly on it 🙁

IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5343.JPG

This case is total crap. The board and the power supply do not belong to it. Some holes were cut in the metal to make the components fit. The power button has been modified to ATX-style. Dont think its possible to find a matching power supply and to reverse the modifications. And its full of scratches anyway. Will go into the dumpster!

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Had a look at my board, and it's not the same, seems to be an older type. Marked 5107 265 169. It's from a Philips NMS9100 (9110).

Many thanks, I will test after soldering the RAM sockets! At least both boards have the same connector layout and will fit in the same case.

liqmat wrote:

I have new old stock replacement covers for those. Bad news: They are all in storage 1600 miles from me. Good news: I happen to have one new old stock black cover in my south storage unit. PM me if you want it.

MFM_cover.jpg

Very nice! Many thanks for the offer! I also have another Seagate with this part broken and one other with the cover missing. Where are you located? Not sure if its worth the effort/costs, however. Some glue will do the job. And you can also hide the drive under a cover from the PC-case.

Reply 30547 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

Toshiba Libretto 50CT 😀
Everyone seems to love these. Now I know why... it's tiny! Floppy disk for scale.

These things are great, especially with the RAM upgrade and a working battery.

I've got a couple 50CTs that work beautifully, but my favorite has got to be my 70CT:
It's had the clock mod done, it's got the 32MB RAM upgrade, it's got a CF to IDE adapter, and it's got a working 6 cell battery. Attach a port replicator and plug it into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and you've got an absolutely fantastic tiny DOS machine. It even has a built in sound card that's SB16 compatible!

Reply 30548 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Other parts from the XT-box...all thrown together: ST-238R - cover broken during transport […]
Show full quote

Olivetti ope HDC 372 MFM hard card 8-bit: Short test in a 486: Drive spins up and is detected, but no boot. Should be fixable. 21 MB / 611 CYL / 4 HEAD / 17 SpT

The ST-238R can be repaired with some superglue and a bit of patience - No biggie.

Look like the mainboard in that 286 got a bit jostled around, too, might want to check that out before trying to power it on! Does it have onboard video or is that provided through one of the ISA slots?

Oo, I love hardcards, the CMS DrivePlus 21 I have doesn't seem to work correctly. It's a Tandon TM-252 that sometimes spins up, sometimes doesn't.

Reply 30549 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

There's a good chance it will boot, even though it's the wrong BIOS. Just some functions may not work at all / correctly, in this case probably a turbo mode or diskette drive support.

Reply 30550 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Very nice! Many thanks for the offer! I also have another Seagate with this part broken and one other with the cover missing. Where are you located? Not sure if its worth the effort/costs, however. Some glue will do the job. And you can also hide the drive under a cover from the PC-case.

Down in Florida for a short while. Up to you. Like I said, PM me if you want it. I only have one right now, but will have more once I get back up north.

Reply 30551 of 52813, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote:
So I accidently started looking at motherboards again, and accidently saved a few to my watch list, and accidently set a reminde […]
Show full quote

So I accidently started looking at motherboards again, and accidently saved a few to my watch list, and accidently set a reminder so that I remembered to bid, and accidently placed a bid, and then accidently won it 😒

It's an ASUS P3V133. It comes with a slocket with a 800MHz / 133FSB 1.7volt CPU, 384mb of RAM and a mystery graphics card. I only put a bid of £21 or so, but got it for £18 + £4 or so for delivery.

I was regretting this purchase until I found my 1GHz coppermine CPU which should maybe work in the slocket. Same FSB, same volts... I also dug out my big-ass cooler and sound blaster live. I can feel my fastest ever W98 PC coming along!

edit - for once something has gone to plan! The 1000MHz was picked up straight away after setting the jumpers. My cooler will need a smaller fan as it touches the RAM module when only using the right hand slot.

It also has SECC to SECC2 mounting adapters which I didn't know existed and you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands before I let them go.

Can you show the the slotket model?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 30552 of 52813, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
These things are great, especially with the RAM upgrade and a working battery. […]
Show full quote
Ultrax wrote:

Toshiba Libretto 50CT 😀

These things are great, especially with the RAM upgrade and a working battery.

I've got a couple 50CTs that work beautifully, but my favorite has got to be my 70CT:
It's had the clock mod done, it's got the 32MB RAM upgrade, it's got a CF to IDE adapter, and it's got a working 6 cell battery. Attach a port replicator and plug it into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and you've got an absolutely fantastic tiny DOS machine. It even has a built in sound card that's SB16 compatible!

I plan on upgrading the RAM in mine at some point, along with getting the CF-IDE adapter. I still need to test my battery. I find it funny how many Librettos still have functional batteries - Toshiba must have made them well!

Mine is sitting at its stock 16 MB, as indicated by the photo of the BIOS the seller sent to me (they borrowed a cord and got it powered on). Like I said, that will likely change soon. Are the RAM modules particularly expensive?

I find it hard to believe Toshiba somehow managed to cram a full Pentium MMX PC into a case this small, with very little compromises!

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 30553 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

I plan on upgrading the RAM in mine at some point, along with getting the CF-IDE adapter. I still need to test my battery. I find it funny how many Librettos still have functional batteries - Toshiba must have made them well!

Mine is sitting at its stock 16 MB, as indicated by the photo of the BIOS the seller sent to me (they borrowed a cord and got it powered on). Like I said, that will likely change soon. Are the RAM modules particularly expensive?

I find it hard to believe Toshiba somehow managed to cram a full Pentium MMX PC into a case this small, with very little compromises!

The RAM upgrade is only really useful for 98 / 2000. It is overkill for DOS/3.x, and it feels like overkill for 95... But for 98/SE, 2000, ME, it really feels required.

I'm not sure how expensive they are, they seem like they're relatively common (They use a standard Toshiba connector, like you'd find on a Satellite Pro, but about half the length. You could probably get a 32MB card to fit if you really wanted to.

Be warned, some CF-IDEs do not play well with the onboard ATA, and some will not even fit behind the plastic cover and will break it.

It's not just Librettos! I have some other old Toshiba laptops (NiCd, NiMH batteries) which also still hold... A charge. Granted, they typically can only work for 5-10 minutes (maybe 20 in standby mode), but it's more than can be said for a lot of machines of that age. Oh yeah, and they're standard sized cells - You can easily replace them if need be!

The only real compromise I can think of is the severe lack of ports on the machine. The mouse also sucks, even though it is the most pleasant trackpoint I've ever used. The display, while very VERY nice (amazing color and pretty damn bright, it's matte finish too so it doesn't get much glare!), is only 640x480. At least it supports pseudo-resolution, but the scrolling is kinda annoying if you ask me.

A few tips: Get a decent CF-IDE adapter, put a 4GB CF card in, put DOS on the CF card FIRST using a PCMCIA diskette drive or some other utility on a modern machine, then drop some CD-ROM software onto it and use a parallel / PCMCIA CD-ROM drive to install Windows 95. I can get you a copy of the Toshiba software from mine if you can't find it online, it's almost required (Tells battery levels, screen settings, system configuration, power options, sets a lot of BIOS options, and manages PCMCIA cards).

Reply 30554 of 52813, by iPonRMA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

xta.jpg
xtb.jpg

I think i have the same board - somewhere, if you still need the bios dump, i will dig it up for you. If you dont want to wait, you can try this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-PC-Computer-808 … egAAOSwa0ddlXMF

Reply 30555 of 52813, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got sound cards for my 386 and Pentium MMX 166 builds. I've never worked with sound cards on old PCs, but I assume I'm heading into a world of hurt with driver setup, PnP / IRQ setup and such 😀

IMG_20191003_112808.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191003_112808.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20191003_112852.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191003_112852.jpg
File size
929.6 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30556 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iPonRMA wrote:

I think i have the same board - somewhere, if you still need the bios dump, i will dig it up for you. If you dont want to wait, you can try this one:

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know! There are other components missing on the board at Ebay. At least I can try with only 6 RAM-sockets. Think the other 3 are for parity RAM?

liqmat wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Down in Florida for a short while. Up to you. Like I said, PM me if you want it. I only have one right now, but will have more once I get back up north.

OK thanks again. I think its not worth the shipping costs to Germany, however.

FAMICOMASTER wrote:
The ST-238R can be repaired with some superglue and a bit of patience - No biggie. […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Other parts from the XT-box...all thrown together: ST-238R - cover broken during transport […]
Show full quote

The ST-238R can be repaired with some superglue and a bit of patience - No biggie.

Look like the mainboard in that 286 got a bit jostled around, too, might want to check that out before trying to power it on! Does it have onboard video or is that provided through one of the ISA slots?

Oo, I love hardcards, the CMS DrivePlus 21 I have doesn't seem to work correctly. It's a Tandon TM-252 that sometimes spins up, sometimes doesn't.

As written, the board and the power supply do not belong to that case. It was only fixed with glue in it. I will not try to power that PSU on. The board is quite unusual with the custom PSU connector and power-on switch on the mainboard. PM me if somebody has a use, I dont need all that.

IMG_5345.JPG
Filename
IMG_5345.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5346.JPG
Filename
IMG_5346.JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5347.JPG
Filename
IMG_5347.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30557 of 52813, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VioletGiraffe wrote:

I've never worked with sound cards on old PCs, but I assume I'm heading into a world of hurt with driver setup, PnP / IRQ setup and such 😀

Not much of a problem, those Opti cards are simple, installation is usually pretty straightforward.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 30558 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iPonRMA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

xta.jpg
xtb.jpg

Hi iPonRMA,

can you please provide your BIOS? I soldered some RAM-sockets. Supersoft doesnt report relevant errors anymore, RAM seems to work. But I do not find a working BIOS to boot. Turbo XT BIOS does not work, same applies to the one from Cyrix200+. Also never seen that "G2 GC100A-PC" chipset on a XT...

Thanks!

Reply 30559 of 52813, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought myself a brand-new ATX case to put in this gem:

IMG_20191004_155843380.jpg

ASUS mPGA604 dual-cpu server/workstation mainboard with two dual-core Xeons installed, 3.066 MHz and 1 MB cache each. 😀 Also has AGP Pro and Promise SATA RAID controller. Still have to get two mPGA604 coolers, though.