VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30600 of 52813, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought 12 non-working boards with various battery and other damages. I just love working on these boards and bringing them back to life. The best part is seeing a board POST again after a difficult repair.

Attachments

• DSCN2815.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN2815.JPG
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSCN2813.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN2813.JPG
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30601 of 52813, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Damn, where are those flea markets you guys can visit and get stuff from!?
I went through 5 different goodwill-like places in my home town, and they are only selling clothes and shoes...

You need to go to computer recycle centers.

I've contacted many electronic waste recyclers - they don't allow anyone to come and investigate their stuff. They just want to silently do their job by recycling everything on their own.

I'd think this would be a question of other people's data protection. Lots of old IT stuff holds loads of data, and the recyclers probably don't distinguish between data carrying equipment and non-data carrying equipment like CPUs, RAM, Videocards etc. ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 30602 of 52813, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In some places ewaste (and recycling in general) is more about exploiting subsidies and government contracts than the resale value of the materials extracted - It doesn't matter that you (or anyone else) is willing pay more for a PC or component intact that they worth in scrap value because they have to do everything according to policies to receive the grant/contract money that is the bulk of their income.

Reply 30603 of 52813, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about other countries but environmental regulations are pretty strict here. Waste collection plants can't just give away hazardous material to people who drop by and ask. Same with car dumps. They have to recycle what they can and safely dispose of the rest. They are responsible for everything that happens at that plant and government agencies inspect and regulate every step. If they give away toxic waste to people they risk losing their licence.
Civilian organized collections at schools are the best sources for e-waste here.

Reply 30605 of 52813, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@H3nrik V!, i did emphasize that i will take out all storage devices and leave that to them. I'm not interested in harddrives and other stuff like that.
For them, it is nuisance to do something that is not a standard boring everyday life...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30606 of 52813, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this early 90s Adaptec AHA-1542B for my 386 build

£3.99 on eBay.

DSC_4053.jpeg
Filename
DSC_4053.jpeg
File size
779.76 KiB
Views
File license

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30607 of 52813, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote:

I just bought 12 non-working boards with various battery and other damages. I just love working on these boards and bringing them back to life. The best part is seeing a board POST again after a difficult repair.

That looks like it'll keep you busy for a while 😀
My joy of repairing what appears to be an Abit AN4 was cut short when it POST'ed and reported keyboard error.

Today I'm wondering whether I should purchase what appears to be an ISA video card combined with an ISA and floppy controller - novel, but would it work without its original motherboard?

Reply 30608 of 52813, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:

Bought this early 90s Adaptec AHA-1542B for my 386 build

It probably has drive size limit of 1 GB.
But there was BIOS/firmware update for up to 8 GB - most likely distributed in the form of ROM chips, nowadays nowhere to be found.
If your card happens to support more than 1 GB, some may be interested in those ROMs contents...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 30610 of 52813, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

I have the 1542CF, which should use the same BIOS

Very unlikely, even impossible.
B is configured by jumpers only.
CF only has DIP switches for the most basic settings, the rest is configured in BIOS.
Also, CF supports Fast SCSI, so the microcode must be different as well.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 30611 of 52813, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I am fine with the 1GB limit if there is really one. I will be using it with scsi2sd adaptor which breaks my 8GB SD card to as many emulated SCSI disks as I need. In general I use <512MB disks/partitions for DOS anyway.

I can check the limit.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30612 of 52813, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote:

Very unlikely, even impossible.

Why should this be impossible? The BIOS can detect on which card it is running. It says "1542B/1542C/1542CF" in the BIOS' title screen, so... Adaptec mostly made BIOSes for larger groups of cards, not individual ones. But not really important, since I have no equipment to dump the ROM anyway.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-10-06, 15:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30613 of 52813, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:
These are from the 1990’s era. Advent AV370 speakers with subwoofer. They sound pretty good with good base for there time. They […]
Show full quote

These are from the 1990’s era.
Advent AV370 speakers with subwoofer.
They sound pretty good with good base for there time.
They are NOT as nice as Klipsch Pro media 2.1 speakers but these Advent speakers work with
Powered sound cards like the Media Vision PAS16.
The AMP on the sound card does not seem to bother these speakers.

Wow !
These speakers sound really good.
I forgot how good they sound.

Reply 30614 of 52813, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Why should this be impossible? The BIOS can detect on which card it is running. It says "1542B/1542C/1542CF" in the BIOS' title screen, so... Adaptec mostly made BIOSes for larger groups of cards, not individual ones. But not really important, since I have no equipment to dump the ROM anyway.

Then maybe there is a chance, after all... note to self to try that some time!
Some 1542 ROMs can be found here - http://minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm

Reply 30615 of 52813, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

@H3nrik V!, i did emphasize that i will take out all storage devices and leave that to them. I'm not interested in harddrives and other stuff like that.
For them, it is nuisance to do something that is not a standard boring everyday life...

Same here in France, they just stonewall (=blatantly ignore) you if you ask, I heard it's per [unnecessary] EU regulations... One day when calling a recycling center, they just told me that they don't recycle computer stuff and bam the guy hung up.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30616 of 52813, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As promised, I got some more pictures of the IBM Industrial Computer.

It's a neat computer.
Pentium MMX 166
16MB RAM
2x IDE HDD, boots into PC-DOS
4x IBM Artic186 controller cards
1x IDE Fujitsu DynaMO magneto-optical drive.

The case is a mix of extruded aluminum and steel.

I don't have the space for it, so it's going up for auction sometime today.

Attachments

• POv7I73.jpg
    Filename
    POv7I73.jpg
    File size
    891.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    IBM Industrial Computer
    File license
  • Z3QymSD.jpg
    Filename
    Z3QymSD.jpg
    File size
    783.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drives w/ DynaMO
    File license
  • sEysaq8.jpg
    Filename
    sEysaq8.jpg
    File size
    907.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    back
    File license
  • WntydbI.jpg
    Filename
    WntydbI.jpg
    File size
    815.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    inside
    File license

Reply 30617 of 52813, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Friend of mine bought very old Chicony notebook (386?) without PSU brick. Power connector is a bit strange (pic). Do you know that type? It looks like smaller mickey mouse plug, but we don't know how to find similar...
SziliNB_zps5ztga68h.jpg

Reply 30618 of 52813, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Photobucket sucks. Got this 16 port 10/100 switch from a thrift show for $10. Good for integrating old systems with 10mbs nics in to gigabit networks.

20191007_080426.jpg
Filename
20191007_080426.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-10-07, 04:35. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30619 of 52813, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote:

I don't know about other countries but environmental regulations are pretty strict here. Waste collection plants can't just give away hazardous material to people who drop by and ask. Same with car dumps. They have to recycle what they can and safely dispose of the rest. They are responsible for everything that happens at that plant and government agencies inspect and regulate every step. If they give away toxic waste to people they risk losing their licence.
Civilian organized collections at schools are the best sources for e-waste here.

In The Netherlands the only way to get electronics for free is to get them before they end up at a recycling company (contacted them in the past but it doesn't make economic sense to them to sell some stuff). Sometimes I am lucky at my municipal waste disposal station, where I can find old pc hardware (and old radio's), among tons of washing machines and refrigerators, every now and then. Unfortunately their staff size has increased over the last 2 years, so that means more surveillance on what customers are doing, which makes it risky to grab stuff from the electronics container. The last couple of months have been as dry as a desert over there though.