Reply 30620 of 52813, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazybubba64 wrote:
As promised, I got some more pictures of the IBM Industrial Computer. […]
Show full quote

As promised, I got some more pictures of the IBM Industrial Computer.

It's a neat computer.
Pentium MMX 166
16MB RAM
2x IDE HDD, boots into PC-DOS
4x IBM Artic186 controller cards
1x IDE Fujitsu DynaMO magneto-optical drive.

The case is a mix of extruded aluminum and steel.

I don't have the space for it, so it's going up for auction sometime today.

I have a similar looking one (also 7585), but it's a bench top model with a 486.

Reply 30621 of 52813, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.ido wrote:

In some places ewaste (and recycling in general) is more about exploiting subsidies and government contracts than the resale value of the materials extracted - It doesn't matter that you (or anyone else) is willing pay more for a PC or component intact that they worth in scrap value because they have to do everything according to policies to receive the grant/contract money that is the bulk of their income.

In my country it is exactly this, it has nothing to do with EU regulation. The recycling companies need to recycle an X amount of stuff according to the contract to get money.

Reply 30623 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wolfus wrote:

Friend of mine bought very old Chicony notebook (386?) without PSU brick. Power connector is a bit strange (pic). Do you know that type? It looks like smaller mickey mouse plug, but we don't know how to find similar...

Looks a lot like the connectors Dell used to use in the mid to late 90s.

Try Dell Latitude XPi CD and Inspiron 8100/1100/2600. They used 2 different connectors between those that looked similar.

Reply 30624 of 52813, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
dr.ido wrote:

In some places ewaste (and recycling in general) is more about exploiting subsidies and government contracts than the resale value of the materials extracted - It doesn't matter that you (or anyone else) is willing pay more for a PC or component intact that they worth in scrap value because they have to do everything according to policies to receive the grant/contract money that is the bulk of their income.

In my country it is exactly this, it has nothing to do with EU regulation. The recycling companies need to recycle an X amount of stuff according to the contract to get money.

I had luck, visited a small computer shop (also repair shop) Here these kind of shops must have a storage for old computers and you can leave there your old stuff. Like car repairshops must take back car batteries and old tyres. And this shop is a small one so they have small storage. They let me to browse their stuff and choose what I want for free. They even told me there is one more guy who takes stuff from them. I was only one time and picked up a S370 MSI with 1300MHz celeron 256Mb SD ram and a Manli Geforce2, and a Pentium 4 MicroATX Fujitsu Siemens Scenic. The S370 needed only a PSU, the other one a HDD.
There is one more PC shop in the town I will go there too to buy something nad ask them. If they dont have something I have the other place where the seller told me he will reserve me everything older than 2002, notebooks too. I will go there with a coffee and a bottle of wine for him next week.

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 30625 of 52813, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

Here it's the exact opposite. Recycling is strictly regulated and all the electronics will be dismantled, the cases go for scarp metal that ends up being melted in the end and reused. All the copper and other valuables from the mainboards gets collected and reused and so on. The local recycling company claims it can recycle over 99% of a laptop it receives.

Reply 30626 of 52813, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote:

we don't know how to find similar...

An exact model number would help.

SpectriaForce wrote:

Sometimes I am lucky at my municipal waste disposal station

I stopped going there because they put the containers outside and by the time I get to them everything of value rusted. (the ones that aren't crushed by huge TVs and fridges). The best thing I found there was a rusty P4 system without it's side panel. Most stations like this don't allow outsiders because it's their own side business so they sell the machines themselves.

sf78 wrote:

All the copper and other valuables from the mainboards gets collected and reused and so on. The local recycling company claims it can recycle over 99% of a laptop it receives.

Copper is the main reason our waste recycling plants are so overregulated now. Certain groups collected all the copper electrical wire (sometimes panels) and burned the PVC off them to sell as scrap. It went as far as stealing material from construction sites and cutting LIVE WIRE from train lines! As a result everything that has metal parts have to be registered upon scrapping.

Reply 30627 of 52813, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote:

Certain groups collected all the copper electrical wire (sometimes panels) and burned the PVC off them to sell as scrap. It went as far as stealing material from construction sites and cutting LIVE WIRE from train lines!

I know about a case when some guys stole optical fiber cables, and then tried to burn off the insulation 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 30628 of 52813, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this in mail today for 4 bucks, complete-in-box.
Can't wait to try it out

20191007_154456.jpg
Filename
20191007_154456.jpg
File size
778.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 30629 of 52813, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this drive yesterday on a local forum for free in place of the other drive that was destroyed during transit.
Thank you again kind soul!

Attachments

Reply 30630 of 52813, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another Highscreen to part out... Octek Jaguar V inside, Trident 8900... But it also has this CD-ROM drive and 360kB 5,25" floppy drive... It is working, I wonder what I will find on HDD...

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_183916.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191007_183916.jpg
    File size
    379.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30631 of 52813, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

Another Highscreen to part out... Octek Jaguar V inside, Trident 8900... But it also has this CD-ROM drive and 360kB 5,25" floppy drive... It is working, I wonder what I will find on HDD...

What type of CDROM drive is that ?

Reply 30633 of 52813, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:
Very unlikely, even impossible. B is configured by jumpers only. CF only has DIP switches for the most basic settings, the rest […]
Show full quote
derSammler wrote:

I have the 1542CF, which should use the same BIOS

Very unlikely, even impossible.
B is configured by jumpers only.
CF only has DIP switches for the most basic settings, the rest is configured in BIOS.
Also, CF supports Fast SCSI, so the microcode must be different as well.

Some Adaptec cards have the option of configuring it entirely by jumpers, or via the on-card BIOS.

Reply 30634 of 52813, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Q6fshK0m.jpg

Found this for really cheap (and half off!) at a thrift store. It came with a lower processor, no RAM and no HD but I had extra stuff lying around anyways. It had some scuffs on it and I used a magic eraser... and accidentally erased the badge where it says "OPTIPLEX 755." Oh well.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz dual core processor
4GB DDR2 RAMATI RADEON HD2400 Pro 256MB PCIe video card
DVD-RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
3.5" floppy drive
320GB 7200RPM HDWindows XP Professional
PCI FireWire card
2xUSB 2.0 ports front
6xUSB 2.0 ports rear
Audio in/out jacks front/rear
Ethernet
Parallel port
Serial port
DMS59
S-Video

O0Th3TCm.jpg

Rear

sHp3sa7m.jpg

Spray painted the sides silver... close to original color. The original paint was faded and had all sorts of marks

tvJk3VUm.jpg

Other side

e4kiK1Vm.jpg

Side panel removed

3om41Wwm.jpg

Closeup of the cards

E1m2fIym.jpg

BIOS screen

SEA4uGAm.jpg

Programs + specs

fxsACxDm.jpg

Windows XP desktop which you've seen 453 times by now...

MR1mZV4m.jpg

Runs quite well after the cleanup! Will just toss in a slightly better GPU at some point and it'll be set. I only got it for the floppy drive since i have no machines with one atm.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30635 of 52813, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

Wow, that CD drive looks like one of those things that seems like an amazing idea on paper, but in reality it just doesn't work well.

Reply 30636 of 52813, by iPonRMA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Hi iPonRMA, […]
Show full quote
iPonRMA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

xta.jpg
xtb.jpg

I think i have the same board - somewhere, if you still need the bios dump, i will dig it up for you. If you dont want to wait, you can try this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-PC-Computer-808 … egAAOSwa0ddlXMF

Hi iPonRMA,

can you please provide your BIOS? I soldered some RAM-sockets. Supersoft doesnt report relevant errors anymore, RAM seems to work. But I do not find a working BIOS to boot. Turbo XT BIOS does not work, same applies to the one from Cyrix200+. Also never seen that "G2 GC100A-PC" chipset on a XT...

Thanks!

Hi,

I dont know the reason, but it seems i cannot reply your PM. I found the board and just made a backup of the BIOS, so please send me your email address and i will send there.

Reply 30638 of 52813, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iPonRMA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Hi iPonRMA, […]
Show full quote
iPonRMA wrote:

I think i have the same board - somewhere, if you still need the bios dump, i will dig it up for you. If you dont want to wait, you can try this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-PC-Computer-808 … egAAOSwa0ddlXMF

Hi iPonRMA,

can you please provide your BIOS? I soldered some RAM-sockets. Supersoft doesnt report relevant errors anymore, RAM seems to work. But I do not find a working BIOS to boot. Turbo XT BIOS does not work, same applies to the one from Cyrix200+. Also never seen that "G2 GC100A-PC" chipset on a XT...

Thanks!

Hi,

I dont know the reason, but it seems i cannot reply your PM. I found the board and just made a backup of the BIOS, so please send me your email address and i will send there.

Hmm, strange, aslo cannot write to you anymore...can you please upload it here? You can use my photo if you like
XT BIOS image collection

Dont know if you read it, but in the mean time I had some success:
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

But still not happy with that BIOS, the original one will be better.

Many thanks for your efforts!

Reply 30639 of 52813, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some old SVGA pr0n - Trident 8900, yet another Tseng ET4000AX and WD Paradise.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_023337.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191008_023337.jpg
    File size
    764.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191008_023301.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191008_023301.jpg