Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31140 of 52877, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's all a question of patience ^^
if you want something "now" be prepared to pay €50-100 for a combo, if you can wait for something to pop up... I got a combo for 15€ just a week ago or so.

Reply 31141 of 52877, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have noticed that in the USA Ebay prices on vintage hardware can be double to triple what it goes for in Europe. We have greedy people over here 😠

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31142 of 52877, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this goes both ways unfortunately, some things are cheaper here, some things are cheaper in the US, if only people wouldn't ask for shipping costs of $50-$100 for a single card sometimes 🤣

Reply 31143 of 52877, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Let me know what you think of it once you've spent some time with it. I got one in a dumpster find last year and while it's nice to have in the collection I'm not sure its practicality.

Unfortunately, it will be quite some time before I can test this out.

bmwsvsu wrote:

I think I read that same review on that board not that long ago - isn't that the same one that also warns that this board is EXTREMELY sensitive to the PSU you use to power it?

Definitely. AMD had a list of recommended PSUs, and Anand said FIC trimmed down their list "considerably" from this. The original FIC PSU list was here, and I'm still in the process of waybacking for a working version.

Horun wrote:

Wish I had that A-750, have a Asus K7M with a A-600.

I'd rather be in your position. It will be a lot cheaper to acquire a working Pluto 750 than a working K7M.

derSammler wrote:
gex85 wrote:

Unfortunately all this Slot A stuff seems so ridiculously overpriced nowadays... at least on eBay etc.

Really? If I look at sold Slot A stuff at eBay Germany (not overpriced "give me your money" buy-it-now offers), it sells so cheap that I'd even say Slot A stuff is almost worthless here. There are complete Slot A mainboards with CPU and RAM sold for around 30 bucks. How's that overpriced?

Do items from ebay Germany show up in ebay US searches under "items found from eBay International Sellers?"

Reply 31145 of 52877, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

this goes both ways unfortunately, some things are cheaper here, some things are cheaper in the US, if only people wouldn't ask for shipping costs of $50-$100 for a single card sometimes 🤣

The reason for doing this is that shipping from some countries can be surprisingly expensive - especially when PayPal policy means you can't use the cheap untracked option - and eBay's built in shipping calculator often gets it VERY wrong. 2kg from Australia to Germany is $67 via the cheapest option with tracking, even Seamail which is untracked and would literally take months is $48.

On the rare occasions that I list something one eBay (which are usually items that I expect will sell to overseas buyers) I usually set the shipping cost at $99 with an explanation in the description to wait for an updated invoice with the correct postage. In cases where someone hits buy it now and pays without reading it is easier to issue a partial refund for the difference than to try an explain to the buyer (who may not speak/read english) that they need to pay more shipping charges.

Reply 31146 of 52877, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thing is, I would believe that if half of the sellers (though usually not those that I want to buy from or that have good offers) didn't have options for $10-20 shipping for even heavier items x3... I mean it wouldn't cost more than that for me to ship stuff like that to the US and europe isn't particularly known for cheap postage prices, so I really don't get where these high numbers come from apart from "I simply don't wanna deal with the hassle of international shipping"

australia is probably an extreme case though, yeah.

speaking of shipping... when you pay 4 times the amount for shipping than the actual thing x3 still easily worth it though, even had a gameport to usb adapter included

hardware33_02.jpg
Filename
hardware33_02.jpg
File size
144.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I like how it says "aircraft and auto foot pedals" on the box, but while I mean you could technically use these for controlling a car they're really not meant for that imho, feels super awkward... as rudder pedals on the other hand they're amazing.

Reply 31148 of 52877, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Also convinced the seller of a 10kg lot to ship me that card (sellers photo) :-) Will report what I get... […]
Show full quote

Also convinced the seller of a 10kg lot to ship me that card (sellers photo) 😀 Will report what I get...

The attachment Clipboard01.jpg is no longer available

Somebody abel to identify that daughterboard? Seems to be unusual that the components are on the outer side?

EDIT: FOUND! Roland SCB-55! 😀 😀 😀

Arrived!

Sellers pic:

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
11.94 KiB
Views
File license

My pic 😀

IMG_6558.JPG
Filename
IMG_6558.JPG
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31151 of 52877, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I received a ASUS DRW-1608P DVD burner manufactured in March 2005. It still had the original box but without accessories, CDs, manual and cable. A nice find.

Attachments

• PIC_0004.JPG
    Filename
    PIC_0004.JPG
    File size
    482.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31152 of 52877, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So yesterday I bought some stuff from a retired police officer of the Chicago PD. Apparently she was also the departments I.T. person, then when she left the force she started a computer shop, then when she closed that down in the 2000s she shoved everything she had left into a garage. Now shes moving several states and trying to thin out the garage but she can't bring herself to throw anything away. So for $25 I got:

* A Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 with a 500MHZ Pentium, 192MB RAM, and 3 HDD Caddies (2 20GB's, and a 12GB installed), 3 extra battery packs, 3 chargers, and a bunch of related cables. Apparently this came out of a legit squad car. One of the caddies had a police officers business card duck taped to it. It has a NeoMagic 256AV and a sound chip thats supposedly DOS compatible. I need to install an OS onto it and the CMOS battery is dead but its otherwise working.
* An MSI U100 Netbook with an Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHZ, 1GB of RAM, and a GMA950 video card all inside an MSI branded carrying case. I will probably be using this for work related PDF viewing.
* A MacBook 5300CE. Apparently this laptop was the first laptop to get negative publicity for battery fires. Unable to test due to lack of suitable powercord. But it looks like its in good condition.
* A HP Pavillion DV2100 CTO. Dual Core Mobile Sempron @ 1.8GHz, 1.5GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, GeForce Go 6150. It has a weird issue, it powers up as soon as its plugged in, and you have to hold in the power button for 5 seconds 3 seperate times before it boots. Works like a charm the 3rd time every time. Weird.
* A HP Pavillion TX1000 Convertible. Dual Core AMD Turion @ 2GHZ, 2GB of RAM on a single DIMM, 160GB HDD, GeForce Go 6150. It also has a weird issue, it seems to only boot if the CD drive is ejected. The CD drive otherwise works normally thereafter. Not going to pretend understand that at all. This should be fun with SCUMMVM.

The two HP's are both interesting because they have the Go 6150, one of the very few IGPs that is actually competent at anything. Its half a GeForce 6200. It has all the rendering features and support that a normal dedicated NVIDIA Geforce 6000 series card would have. My first real computer had one of these and I played games on that for years as a kid. Its really quite capable, I would say its on par performance wise with the mid tier GeForce FX series or the ATI 9000 series cards.

Aside from that I also got 4 printer paper boxes full of assorted cables and a few random coolers thrown in, and a bunch of early 2000's computer books. Among the noteworthy toss-ins are:

* 1x Pentium II Proccessor
* 2x Pentium active coolers.
* 1 BFG GeForce 7900GS PCIe
* A cool 90s Walkman with DSP.

The best part: She texted me saying she found more stuff, and I'll have the opportunity to go get it. I'm pretty sure this lady is just glad she found someone else young enough and with time enough to appreciate this crap.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 31153 of 52877, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

* An MSI U100 Netbook with an Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHZ, 1GB of RAM, and a GMA950 video card all inside an MSI branded carrying case. I will probably be using this for work related PDF viewing.

Ah yeah. The MSI Wind U100 - it's famous for being a cheap early Hackintosh. There was a MacOS 10.5.4 U100 specific ISO floating around that let you turn it into a fun little portable machine that worked better than the MacBooks of similar lineage. I heard that the same thing also worked quite well with Snow Leopard (10.6.😎 which was a great old distribution for utility purposes (it's the last one with Rosetta support for PowerPC compatibility and the last one that let's you migrate end users smoothly from PowerPC to Intel).

I would recommend opening it up and putting 2GB of RAM into it regardless. Good little machine, probably one of the best Netbooks ever made.

Reply 31154 of 52877, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Arrived!

nice!

wavetable boards are so elusive, I spotted one in a scrap box on ebay once, but apparently I wasn't alone, it ended up far over €100... and it wasn't even a very special one.
I'll stick to my external midi modules for now ^^ wavetable boards are just too expensive, also limited to one system... but hey if I should ever find one for that price... sure ^^

I missed the chance for a very nice GPU today... had it open on ebay at work, but I was busy doing... well work... and when I went back to the browser tab to click on buy it now it was already gone.

Reply 31155 of 52877, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude. $25 is a tremendous bargain for all of that hardware.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31156 of 52877, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
nice! […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:

Arrived!

nice!

wavetable boards are so elusive, I spotted one in a scrap box on ebay once, but apparently I wasn't alone, it ended up far over €100... and it wasn't even a very special one.
I'll stick to my external midi modules for now ^^ wavetable boards are just too expensive, also limited to one system... but hey if I should ever find one for that price... sure ^^

I missed the chance for a very nice GPU today... had it open on ebay at work, but I was busy doing... well work... and when I went back to the browser tab to click on buy it now it was already gone.

Heh, I agree. They are getting a lot harder to find. Sure would be nice to have an SCB-55... though I did snag a SCC-1 that was in a 386 computer a little bit ago.

I already have pretty much all the wavetable boards and daughterboards I want, but I still keep an eye out for stuff to pop up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31157 of 52877, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
imi wrote:
nice! […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:

Arrived!

nice!

Heh, I agree. They are getting a lot harder to find. Sure would be nice to have an SCB-55... though I did snag a SCC-1 that was in a 386 computer a little bit ago.

I already have pretty much all the wavetable boards and daughterboards I want, but I still keep an eye out for stuff to pop up.

Yes, I had much luck with this one. Its my 1st working daughterboard card. I also have a Terratec with missing components and never got it running.
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

The CT3900 seems also to be a nice card, also didnt have this one before (OPL+Jumper+IDE+...).

Reply 31158 of 52877, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to add a 16MHz crystal to the card and the missing voltage regulator (either 79L05 or 78L05) and it should start working again. The other missing parts are some capacitors in power stuff that will not be critical but should be there (16V 10µF+).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 31159 of 52877, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

Yes, I had much luck with this one. Its my 1st working daughterboard card. I also have a Terratec with missing components and never got it running.
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

The CT3900 seems also to be a nice card, also didnt have this one before (OPL+Jumper+IDE+...).

Did you replace the missing stuff on the Terratec DB and it still doesn't work?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK