Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10740 of 52971, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Holy smokes Artex, Nice! How much of your soul was sold to acquire a Voodoo5 6000?!?!

A small chunk of my soul... but not as much as some of the other owners wanted. 😜

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10741 of 52971, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

As American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎
<snip>

Take a gander here: http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/voodoo5_6000/

There's literally almost no scores at all recorded for this card.... I'm not sure why, do they not run Direct3D at all?

Or were they just incredibly unstable?

If you could get it set up and working.. no matter what system you use, you could take a few gold crowns for it (world records) because of no competition.

Reply 10742 of 52971, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of the cards weren't 100% stable (at least with FSAA) until Hank Semenec's PCI re-work mod.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10743 of 52971, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

A lot of the cards weren't 100% stable (at least with FSAA) until Hank Semenec's PCI re-work mod.

Ahhh... so that's why they never got em to retail, because they didn't have time to get the bugs worked out and stable before nvidia bought em.

Is yours one of the re-worked ones?

Reply 10744 of 52971, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Yep! And this one is stable at 8X FSAA.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10745 of 52971, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
As American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" :cool: :cool: […]
Show full quote

As American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎

O90Zpe.jpg
z7jCGi.jpg
NBgxjb.jpg

😲 😲 😲

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 10746 of 52971, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No images because they're not here yet, plus I'm sure everyone knows what they look like and you could just search on the net if you don't. But whatever, I got a couple of Pentiums;

SX753 - a 60MHz Socket 4 model with the FDIV bug, one of the gray top models known for overheating... Might not use that one too much unless I can get my hands on a good Socket 4 cooler, don't really want to use glue.
SX879 - a 90MHz Socket 5 model with the FDIV bug, this is a gold top version of the CPU. Might end up in place of my 75MHz chip as I could easily drop back to 75MHz by changing the one BUS speed jumper in that system.

Of course, this is assuming they actually work. The thing with buying them as a collector in this way, is that they are never sold as working parts as such and are mostly judged by visual condition because such collectors just put them on display. Still,if all the pins exist they are usually still working and I am of the impression all the pins are present. I don't really do the whole putting things on display thing, instead preferring to beat the hardware halfway to death for as long as it remains working, then fix it and abuse it even more. Boxes and broken parts are for display, working parts are for work.

It's all about the Pentiums! Yeay!

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10749 of 52971, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Damn Artex, you just dropped a bomb!

Hahah 🤣. It's been a good week Fabian (as you already know)! 😀

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10750 of 52971, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I mentioned, the connector is for the Quicklogic bus. It interfaces with external processors and sensors for data acquisition.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10751 of 52971, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" :cool: :cool: […]
Show full quote

As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎

O90Zpe.jpg

Someone is damn lucky this week,congrats! 😲

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10752 of 52971, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought this motherboard with CPU for 17 euro with free shipping! 😀

Lets play name the motherboard!

fun_times.jpg
Filename
fun_times.jpg
File size
199.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10753 of 52971, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Artex wrote:

Ahhh... so that's why they never got em to retail, because they didn't have time to get the bugs worked out and stable before nvidia bought em.

I reckon there are 2 reasons they never went to retail

1. No-one had a case long enough to fit them
2. The competition (Nvidia) already had more powerful cards 2/3 the length that did fit Your case.

Nevertheless, this kind of prototype stuff is still extremely interesting.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10754 of 52971, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

fun_times.jpg

Seems to be a workstation class board - multiple SCSI ports, a 64bit PCI/PCI-X slot, lots of DIMM slots. Unusual to see one with an ISA slot though! If my ASUS CUR-DLS (dual s370) had an ISA slot, I think I'd probably still be using it.

Looks like a nice piece of kit.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 10755 of 52971, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

fun_times.jpg

Hmm... I'm suspecting socket 4, maybe 5. Built in SCSI, Ethernet and PCI-X suggests server board. Very early ATX by the looks of it and SDRAM would also have been very new. Pipeline burst cache would also have been advanced for the time and the ISA slot is there for compatibility. These are Sun Microsystems levels of engineering right here! Would have been a very expensive system at the time. Is this a well-known board then? I'm wildly speculating.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10756 of 52971, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

fun_times.jpg

Seems to be a workstation class board - multiple SCSI ports, a 64bit PCI/PCI-X slot, lots of DIMM slots. Unusual to see one with an ISA slot though! If my ASUS CUR-DLS (dual s370) had an ISA slot, I think I'd probably still be using it.

Looks like a nice piece of kit.

brassicGamer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

fun_times.jpg

Hmm... I'm suspecting socket 4, maybe 5. Built in SCSI, Ethernet and PCI-X suggests server board. Very early ATX by the looks of it and SDRAM would also have been very new. Pipeline burst cache would also have been advanced for the time and the ISA slot is there for compatibility. These are Sun Microsystems levels of engineering right here! Would have been a very expensive system at the time. Is this a well-known board then? I'm wildly speculating.

You are both on the right track, its a workstation board and probably a rather well known one. If I would guess I would say the board is from 1998 but that is only a guess as I have not done any extensive research yet.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10757 of 52971, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" :cool: :cool: […]
Show full quote

As an iconic American rapper Ice Cube once rapped.. "Today was a good day" 😎 😎

O90Zpe.jpg

thats the 4th revision. The 1st and final revion (5th) are almost impossible to find.

Reply 10758 of 52971, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Living wrote:

thats the 4th revision. The 1st and final revion (5th) are almost impossible to find.

Yep, 37th week of 2000 (this one) is the most common. I think only a few of the 5th revision were ever made, and the V5-5000 & Rampage are even harder to find.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10759 of 52971, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scandy wrote:
Hi, just found this card: […]
Show full quote

Hi, just found this card:

24520839514_6df3b59234_c.jpg

It seems in good shape but... what kind of card it is? 😅
Thanks

From what I can see, Sangoma Technologies are a VOIP firm from Canada, which does tally up with the "made in Canada" label. The V3 chip appears to be some kind of I2O PCI chip. So my guess is that it's some kind of communications card, but...