Topic actions

Reply 10800 of 52951, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
happycube wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

Never seen one of these before - didn't know the first P4s look just like Tualatins!

The P4/1.4's also ran like Tualatin's... at about 1ghz. And a lot more wattage. A harbinger of Prescott I suppose 😉

I might actually benchmark this machine against my 1Ghz SMP PIII , just to see how they compete in both single and dual CPU mode .

Though I do have to wonder, if one was to run somewhat newer software on them (say , a game from 2003 or so) whether the P4 would outperform the PIII by a bigger margin , simply because software might have had more P4 optimization at that point.

might also replace the CPU in this machine with something like a 1.7ghz or the 2ghz if I can find it, which should give it a bit of a kick.

Reply 10801 of 52951, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got one of those at 1.7Ghz paired with a Geforce 3 TI500 (it's the one in my sig) If i remember correctly i was able to score something between 7000 and 7500. Not sure if this is a good indicator for anything when compared with tualatins, but it isn't a bad score i believe.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 10802 of 52951, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
Nice cards and good to see. […]
Show full quote
carlostex wrote:
keropi wrote:

Great purchases Carlos!
It's good to see some 8bit ISA goodness after all that retro-modern stuff 🤣 🤣 🤣

Retro-modern stuff isn't really my thing... 🤣

Nice cards and good to see.

Yeah... I'd say the only reason I am on Vogons is for the late 80's / early 90's era components.

I've been actively posting 8-bit EGA cards etc recently on the eBay thread to try bring balance to the force! 🤣

Keep'em coming.

I'm more interested in 1990 to 2004 stuff since that's what I used back in the day, so keep those comin' as well.

Reply 10803 of 52951, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rick6 wrote:

I got one of those at 1.7Ghz paired with a Geforce 3 TI500 (it's the one in my sig) If i remember correctly i was able to score something between 7000 and 7500. Not sure if this is a good indicator for anything when compared with tualatins, but it isn't a bad score i believe.

Meant 3DMark 2001 😉

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 10804 of 52951, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For free:

- some hard drive caddies
- some useful cables
- an LS120 drive
- an AT PSU with a non standard switching connector (well, standard, but not the standard one would expect)
- a front interface unit for my orphaned Audigy ZS (sadly second generation so useless mini-DIN instead of desired DIN)

Superdrive confused me because I've never seen one before. It looks skat identical to a floppy drive, but uses an ATAPI interface.

20160223_170448-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160223_170448-1600x900.jpg
File size
344.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: forgot - also a floppy disk with black front panel.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10805 of 52951, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those mini-DIN's are the same pinout as the ones Roland used on the SCC-1 and work with its cables. I know this because I've been running it that way for over a decade, and whilst that doesn't directly help you (As I doubt you have or can find SCC-1 leads) it means I can bell out the pinouts in case you ever want to make cables. I suspect they are probably just a Pin-1-to-1 layout though.

Actually, the connectors looks suspiciously similar to PS/2 connectors. Makes me wonder if I broke the tags and the spare pin off of a PS/2 lead, would it fit? Might have to try, as that would allow the insertion of a DIN-PS2 adapter with minimal modification. Of course, one would have to be careful of orientation so as to not bend the pins.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10806 of 52951, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I can bell out the pinouts in case you ever want to make cables. I suspect they are probably just a Pin-1-to-1 layout though.

Why thank you, kind sir. It's most likely I will be using one of my MIDI keyboards with it (I don't own a USB one) at some point.

HighTreason wrote:

Actually, the connectors looks suspiciously similar to PS/2 connectors. Makes me wonder if I broke the tags and the spare pin off of a PS/2 lead, would it fit? Might have to try, as that would allow the insertion of a DIN-PS2 adapter with minimal modification. Of course, one would have to be careful of orientation so as to not bend the pins.

I had the same thought so there is definitely a cheap / fun / frustrating solution in the offing.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10807 of 52951, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As someone who used the SBA2ZS in the day, they originally came with midi adaptors previously mentioned.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10808 of 52951, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:

if I remember correctly, the 1.7Ghz was probably the first P4 that was seen as worth getting , its important to remember that at the time, most people didnt use a Tualatin , which was intended as a server/workstation chip for the most part. a 1Ghz PIII/Athlon was about as far as most people got before upgrading to a P4/AthlonXP.

That said, running 3DMark01 with the GF2Ti got me a result of 4054 , if IGN is to be believed according to this review (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2001/11/28/hercule … et-ii-ti-review) , running a 1.13Ghz Athlon with the same card gets a result 3667. so its a mixed bag

Reply 10809 of 52951, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scored an AGP x1950 Pro for a mere $35, shipped! I had one a few years ago and made the mistake of selling it. But at least I got a lot more than $35 for it. 😊

Looking back at some of my old benchmark results, the AGP X1950 Pro can be over twice as fast as the 6800GT when the CPU doesn't get in the way.
For example, in 3DMark06 on an Athlon 64 3700+ overclocked to 2.8GHz:

6800GT AGP
SM2.0: score: 1018
HDR/SM3.0 score: 933

x1950 Pro AGP
SM2.0 score: 2008
HDR/SM3.0 score: 2230

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 10811 of 52951, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

As someone who used the SBA2ZS in the day, they originally came with midi adaptors previously mentioned.

Ah. Well it came with no cables. As it is I'm using an IDE cable to hook up the breakout box.

Reply 10812 of 52951, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a purchase.... Got this back from my brother. The exact same drive I was using in 2000 to 2003/04 for burning.
Going in my Zitech-Recreation machine in a near future. So glad to have it back again. 😀

Acer%20CDRW.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10813 of 52951, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just realized what I thought to be a 2gb kit of fancy DDR 400 I own is actually this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-el-ddr-pc- … ory-kit-review/ holy cow.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10814 of 52951, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Just realized what I thought to be a 2gb kit of fancy DDR 400 I own is actually this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-el-ddr-pc- … ory-kit-review/ holy cow.

You reminded me about this kit and didn't realize that supplies have pretty much dried up, I only remember this kit because it was the best that you can get that will work in the powermac G5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16820227210

DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Timing 2-3-2-5
Cas Latency 2

There might be some more exotic kits but they are Rare.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10815 of 52951, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^That is some nice DDR 400.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10816 of 52951, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A full length 16 bit ISA prototype board (got a bunch of NOS 74LS chips too), slot metal bracket is behind it. looks like its cut for something big. maybe parallel port or larger. old scsi? not sure.

3kArfHfl.jpg

A used prototype board, its got some standard 25LS + 74LS chips, a NEC D8255AC-2 and a ceramic AM9513DC

lfOj2qQl.jpg
Euw52MJl.jpg

3x 8 slot ISA backplanes, the one at the bottom of the picture is the nicest of the 3.

QvTuTzHl.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10817 of 52951, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

A full length 16 bit ISA prototype board (got a bunch of NOS 74LS chips too), slot metal bracket is behind it. looks like its cut for something big. maybe parallel port or larger. old scsi? not sure.

Those are awesome... I could have me some serious fun with them, and I did not even know such things existed!

They remind me of being back in college with those old bread-boards pluggin' in 555's timers and all sorts.

What are your plans for them?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10818 of 52951, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, awesome!

I wonder what the used one was for. Can you take a pic of the back? If it was working, there has to be a rats nest of cables back there. Judging from the lack of resistors, caps and jumpers on the front though, someone started to populate but never finished it.

Reply 10819 of 52951, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:

Those are awesome... I could have me some serious fun with them, and I did not even know such things existed!

They remind me of being back in college with those old bread-boards pluggin' in 555's timers and all sorts.

What are your plans for them?

yeah I only got the bundle to get the full length ISA prototype board since it was peanuts. I have a few plans in the works that I'd like to get to. from simple to more complex. First up I'm going to get a 5v PIC and add a cool VFD to the front of the box that I can sit on an IO port and read/write data to it to send messages to the PIC to the VFD and other things. Maybe see what other peripherals inside the PIC I can utilise. Few other things I need to think about and figure out before I post on them.

oerk wrote:

I wonder what the used one was for. Can you take a pic of the back? If it was working, there has to be a rats nest of cables back there. Judging from the lack of resistors, caps and jumpers on the front though, someone started to populate but never finished it.

yeah its got a rats nest on the back, not wirewrap but some very very thin/tiny gauge wire.

my guess, it's for an original XT or so machine. Got the extended ISA connector cut off so it's 8bit, it's got an XT class timing chip (the am531, and a standard PPI. The blue thing is a floppy or IDE male pin connector. The am9513 is more suited to z80 or 8085 or something tho than 8086, so not sure its original purpose.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--