VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13481 of 52769, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added another Zenith. This one is unusual as it has no drives.

image.jpeg
Filename
image.jpeg
File size
2.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13482 of 52769, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Just a matter of time, then? I have a BFG 6800GT wih the same cooling that is dead. Another one works fine.

That's why I've always been afraid to buy those cards. Consumer level video card fans were pretty crappy back then as it is, and these cards have 2 of them. I have little faith that I'll get a card that hasn't already been ruined by a cooling failure.

But for $10 it was worth the risk, definitely a good deal.

Reply 13483 of 52769, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
The Dell is a Socket 370 Coppermine Celeron 533MHz on an i810 motherboard with onboard video (no AGP slot). Other than that, I k […]
Show full quote

The Dell is a Socket 370 Coppermine Celeron 533MHz on an i810 motherboard with onboard video (no AGP slot). Other than that, I kind of like the Dell. Really compact case, and what looks like an Intel manufactured motherboard. The Windows licence sticker on the case is for NT Workstation 4, but is running XP now (horribly slow). It's just that the i810 really sucks 🙁

NEP6YXml.jpg

E8LUaINl.jpg

I have a Dimension L667R which I think might be the same system, just with a different CPU. It uses so little power a hamster could run it, and your Celeron 566 is probably even better for that. The power usage benefits from integrated video but too bad it still needs a discrete ethernet card.
I also like that even though it's a compact MicroATX case, it still holds a full size PSU. When I was tossing a couple other MicroATX cases that I decided were wasting space, I kept this one for that reason.

With the small size and low power it's tempting to set it up as a minimal 24/7 box to handle very long downloads or other unattended operations.

Reply 13484 of 52769, by amnesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote:
I have a Dimension L667R which I think might be the same system, just with a different CPU. It uses so little power a hamster c […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
The Dell is a Socket 370 Coppermine Celeron 533MHz on an i810 motherboard with onboard video (no AGP slot). Other than that, I k […]
Show full quote

The Dell is a Socket 370 Coppermine Celeron 533MHz on an i810 motherboard with onboard video (no AGP slot). Other than that, I kind of like the Dell. Really compact case, and what looks like an Intel manufactured motherboard. The Windows licence sticker on the case is for NT Workstation 4, but is running XP now (horribly slow). It's just that the i810 really sucks 🙁

NEP6YXml.jpg

E8LUaINl.jpg

I have a Dimension L667R which I think might be the same system, just with a different CPU. It uses so little power a hamster could run it, and your Celeron 566 is probably even better for that. The power usage benefits from integrated video but too bad it still needs a discrete ethernet card.
I also like that even though it's a compact MicroATX case, it still holds a full size PSU. When I was tossing a couple other MicroATX cases that I decided were wasting space, I kept this one for that reason.

With the small size and low power it's tempting to set it up as a minimal 24/7 box to handle very long downloads or other unattended operations.

I can join the club, with also owning a Dimension L667R. Stripped it from its hardware and it's ready to take on some more interresting hardware, when something that fits comes along.

I like how it splits apart and doesn't need any tools, as with most OEM cabinets from HP, Dell, Compaq etc. I've encountered.

Know where you came from to know where you're going

Reply 13485 of 52769, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the second 12 MB Voodoo 2 V2-1000 by STB today. 7,5 USD apiece.

2016-08-29 17.46.30.jpg
Filename
2016-08-29 17.46.30.jpg
File size
2.12 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's the thing: I started building retro rigs last December. My first machine was a Socket 7 and I wanted a Voodoo card for it. There is a store chain in Moscow that sells used hardware, and occasionally they get their hands on somewhat old stuff. Back in December they had around 70 of these cards, all NOS. So, getting a Voodoo 2 card from them was cheaper and easier than tracking a more appropriate Voodoo 1. And since I didn't need an SLI setup at the time, I only got a single unit.

Lately I've been getting a bunch of late 90s parts, including Slot 1 CPUs, 128MB+ RAM sticks, PCI sound cards, AGP video cards, etc. Basically, I have everything I need for a late 90s setup except for an AT motherboard. I don't want an ATX mobo because I already have three AT cases. So at some point one of the two things will happen: either I get a 440BX motherboard (which I'm yet to see in AT) or I'm going to get a Super Socket 7 motherboard and an AMD K6-3+ (which seems a lot more expensive, but maybe I'll get lucky). Either way I'm getting something in the ballpark of Pentium III 500. Now, I could always use the AGP Voodoo 3 3000 that I have, but I think that a V2-SLI + TNT2 is a more interesting and flexible setup: you get to choose between Glide and 32 bit color without sacrificing too much performance. Oh, and also this:

file.php?id=23138&mode=view

(saw this picture somewhere around here, love it!)

The downside of course is that not every AT mobo can have four PCI cards (2xV2, NIC and a Aureal soundcard). Oh, and I imagine that using three GPUs might cause some conflicts that would need to be taken care of.

But long story short, I decided to take a look at that store's website. Last Monday they had 11 V2s (as opposed to 70+). Yesterday they only had one unit left. So, I figured, if I'm going to build an SLI one day, getting an identical STB card might be tricky and expensive. Besides, prices will soar after this store stops selling these cards freely.

So, basically I got the last one. Feeling lucky 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13487 of 52769, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I've been away from vogons for a while because of moving, but I finally sorted my computing area and unpacked most of my stuff, so I wanted to share some of my latest finds:

Panda 386V motherboard with Eteq chipset (relabeled as panda), cache and VLB slots, as well as a 40MHz AMD 386DX CPU:

i18atjuh.jpg

wQrn5v3h.jpg

2x Voodoo 2 (one crative, one unidentified) and 1x Radeon 8500LE by Hercules (needs a fan) - Radeon 8500 cards are very rare in my parts so a working card, especially by Hercules, even in this condition is worth quite a bit to me. Fortunatly I can use the fan off a dead Hercules Radeon 9000 for this card.

J54IzYLh.jpg

Some voodoo 1 cards - one is Guillemot, the two with heatsinks are ColorMAX VP-503, the black one is either a Skywell or a Dragon, and of course the Diamond Voodoo. Luckily I have spare I/O shields from dead v1 cards.

59exOfAh.jpg

A Guillemot Banshee PCI and a Voodoo Rush single plane + MX chipset - probably A-Trend.

6QTWzYoh.jpg

A couple of Tseng ET4000AX cards and a matrox with memory expansion module

vraviePh.jpg

Prolink Riva TNT2 128bit / TNT 2 PRO and Leadtek Geforce 2 Titanium

KiaMyWZh.jpg

An S3 Vision 9xx PCI with 8 or 4MB and a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP:

J3NRf34h.jpg

Unfortunately the V5 didn't fare the scrapyard too well:

TjT46qph.jpg

Quite a few missing SMD ceramic caps - I managed to replace some of the parts and got the card to post - works fine in 2D but the 2nd GPU doesn't work at all in 3D. If anyone can help with values for the missing caps, it would be greatly appreciated since it's the first V5 I've ever seen / had and I'd like to get it running.

Late 80's Western Digital / Paradise PVGA1A-JK ISA card with 512kb of vram.

WXd0IIph.jpg

Reply 13488 of 52769, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The Fujitsu is a Slot 1 Pentium III 450MHz on a M6VBE Biostar motherboard, Via Apollo Pro (not the 133) AGP ATi Rage video

I just put this on a Pentium M based laptop, a short while ago and it's snappy: http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supporte … 20WaryPuppy.htm

You can burn a Live disc to try running the OS, first and see how you like it.

Don't expect it to do anything that a PIII really can't do, like play HD video, but it makes the system plenty usable for surfing Vogons and such. 😀 It's my first attempt at using Linux, but just follow the directions, and take a deep breath when you have to go back to the web to research how to do something, and you'll be okay. Granted the Pentium M is probably a little more advanced than your P3's, but if this doesn't make them run snappy, I don't see what will since it's essentially a very light version of Debian.

I agree with the idea of slimming it down to basics as far as hardware is concerned. I would max it's RAM, but I would disable the on-board sound, and remove that cheap add-on sound-card, and either run it without sound or get it a sound-card with it's own processor to off-load the work--an original SbLive! is a good choice, and Audigy 1, 2 and X-Fi's get more and more powerful, respectively. An even better solution would probably be to eliminate any sound hardware and use a USB sound-card or DAC and external amplification. (or digital speakers which do all that, themselves)

Of course, if you only feel comfortable with a Windows install, then all these things still apply. Perhaps, look into using an SSD or adapting a CompactFlash card in place of the HDD.

Reply 13489 of 52769, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Some voodoo 1 cards - one is Guillemot, the two with heatsinks are ColorMAX VP-503, the black one is either a Skywell or a Dragon, and of course the Diamond Voodoo. Luckily I have spare I/O shields from dead v1 cards.

The black card is a Skywell Magic 3D (I have one).

Nice collection. Can barely remember when mine was that size 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13490 of 52769, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.... That is a nice collection of stuff. 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13491 of 52769, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Nice collection. Can barely remember when mine was that size 😀

Thanks 😀 These complete what I've gathered up to now - I'm still missing an Orchid Voodoo 1, but except for that I have most big brand cards - Diamond Monster 3D, Guillemot Maxi Gamer, A-Trend Helios, Skywell Magic 3D, Trust/Gainward Voodoo Dragon, ColorMAX VP-503, BIOSTAR Venus 3D and a couple of others. Some more of my voodoo 1 and 2 cards in this older thread: Current Voodoo 1 and 2 collection - please help me decide what to keep!

brostenen wrote:

Yeah.... That is a nice collection of stuff. 😜

😁

EDITED

debs3759 wrote:

- It turns out the black one is a Trust Voodoo Dragon /w black PCB - at least that's what the label on the back reads. Skywell cards are branded "Sky3D" in the top left as seen in the pictures.

wLUomZBh.jpg Vw4ORVUh.jpg

It seems Trust made several PCB versions - the black one w/o heatsinks with "magic 3D" written on it - a black one with heatsinks, similar to the A-Trend Helios, a green one w/o heatsinks, and a green one with compact PCB and weirdly arranged memory chips.

PCB Layout on the trust, skywell and gainward cards is identical so there's a high chance they're all designed / made in the same factory and silk-screened differently...

Reply 13492 of 52769, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the Rush and the Banshee I bought a few days ago from Amibay. I only had time to briefly test them, the Rush is incredibly picky as to which PCI slot it works in. On the i815 motherboard I tested them with it will only POST if it's in one of the first 2 PCI slots. If it's in any of the other 3, I get no video and the motherboard beeps as if there's no video card at all. No conflicts, as it was the only card of any kind in the system at the time. Oh well, at least I have something to work with. As I don't have a V1, this will extend my compatibility with older games.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13493 of 52769, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The're interesting to use in high-end 486 machines and early pentiums, but nothing more. MX chipset rush cards (unlike Alliance AT25 ones) have much better compatibility with DOS games, and on a fast 486 (120Mhz Cyrix, 133MHz Am5x86) you can run Carmageddon and Descent in Glide - they will actually perform a little better then in software since the Rush will offload some of the calculations to the GPU - not to mention look better.

I've never tried a Rush in anything faster then a PII, but have found no hardware compatibility issues with them on these older systems. Even so, I would imagine one would prefer a Banshee or V3 on a pentium 3 machine correct?

Reply 13494 of 52769, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

I've never tried a Rush in anything faster then a PII, but have found no hardware compatibility issues with them on these older systems. Even so, I would imagine one would prefer a Banshee or V3 on a pentium 3 machine correct?

Probably. My PIII 450 HP Vectra could probably benefit from a VIII over the 12MB VII that's in there, but then again, the VII complements the 8MB Maxtrox G200 that is built-in. And unless I find a VIII for the £6 or so that the older card cost me, it won't get replaced any time soon.

Reply 13495 of 52769, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rush are a card I too stear perfectly clear of. I don't think they provide anything over V1 and V2's.
They are however a qurious reminder, in the history of computing.

I would choose a banshee over rush at any time, or combine something like a TNT-1 and a V1,
on older systems.

Rush, V4 and V5 are 3dFX cards that do not catch my attention, when looking for hardware.

Reply 13496 of 52769, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

Probably. My PIII 450 HP Vectra could probably benefit from a VIII over the 12MB VII that's in there, but then again, the VII complements the 8MB Maxtrox G200 that is built-in. And unless I find a VIII for the £6 or so that the older card cost me, it won't get replaced any time soon.

It's ok to pay 17 Pounds for a V3. 😉

Reply 13497 of 52769, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Hi guys. I've been away from vogons for a while because of moving, but I finally sorted my computing area and unpacked most of m […]
Show full quote

Hi guys. I've been away from vogons for a while because of moving, but I finally sorted my computing area and unpacked most of my stuff, so I wanted to share some of my latest finds:

WXd0IIph.jpg

That only has 256kB ram that I can see. 8 x 32kB chips equals 256kB.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13498 of 52769, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Rush are a card I too stear perfectly clear of. I don't think they provide anything over V1 and V2's. They are however a qurious […]
Show full quote

Rush are a card I too stear perfectly clear of. I don't think they provide anything over V1 and V2's.
They are however a qurious reminder, in the history of computing.

I would choose a banshee over rush at any time, or combine something like a TNT-1 and a V1,
on older systems.

Rush, V4 and V5 are 3dFX cards that do not catch my attention, when looking for hardware.

V4 cards are awsome. Noticibly faster then V3 cards and have 32 bit support. Too bad about the price and rarity.

A rush could be used in a 486 / early pentium rig for early glide games like Carmageddon and Descent. The MX chipset version has good dos compatibility too, so the're OK.

Imperious wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Hi guys. I've been away from vogons for a while because of moving, but I finally sorted my computing area and unpacked most of m […]
Show full quote

WXd0IIph.jpg

That only has 256kB ram that I can see. 8 x 32kB chips equals 256kB.

yup, my mistake. 256k is sufficient for my 286 build, and the card is more period correct then the 1mb WDC previously installed in the rig.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-08-30, 11:21. Edited 1 time in total.