Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14220 of 52908, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct. Riva cannot into SLI 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 14222 of 52908, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW if anyone else is interested in NIB 3Dlabs Wildcat II 5000 cards, it looks like the seller I bought from yesterday has listed a new batch of them for a slightly higher price (still below $7 including free shipping).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Dlabs-Wildcat-80MB-I … ZQAAOSwmLlYAw7i

(I have no affiliation with the seller, was just browsing and noticed they had listed more)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14223 of 52908, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

FWIW if anyone else is interested in NIB 3Dlabs Wildcat II 5000 cards, it looks like the seller I bought from yesterday has listed a new batch of them for a slightly higher price (still below $7 including free shipping).

(I have no affiliation with the seller, was just browsing and noticed they had listed more)

Thank you 😀

Reply 14224 of 52908, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Beautiful card!
But I rather use my G200 MMS Quad. (It was also 20 times cheaper 😁)
Did you buy it because you collect 3dfx / STB / Q3D hardware?

Yeah, obviously G200 MMS Quad is much better for the practical use.
Sure, that's a collector's item and it will be stored securely in my 3dfx/Q3D collection. However, maybe it will find its place as a 2D card for my Q3D AAlchemy system instead of the sh*tty Vanta it has by default.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 14225 of 52908, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Beautiful card!
But I rather use my G200 MMS Quad. (It was also 20 times cheaper 😁)
Did you buy it because you collect 3dfx / STB / Q3D hardware?

Yeah, obviously G200 MMS Quad is much better for the practical use.
Sure, that's a collector's item and it will be stored securely in my 3dfx/Q3D collection. However, maybe it will find its place as a 2D card for my Q3D AAlchemy system instead of the sh*tty Vanta it has by default.

Sounds cool, but the shitty Vanta is the stock option and actually better than the Riva128ZX.

It's awesome that this card is in good hands 😀

Reply 14226 of 52908, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Thank you 😀

I snagged one also.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14227 of 52908, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

3D Labs Wildcat II 5000, $6 shipped NIB

Nice! I've had one of these cards in my dual P3-600 NT workstation for a while, it's a solid performer for OpenGL graphics apps, about twice as fast as the Elsa Gloria II that it replaced. I think it was the first Wildcat accelerator that was available for sale to the general public outside of OEMs like Dell and HP, hence the abundant supply.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 14229 of 52908, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I just agreed to buy a Compaq Portable III this morning. I remember using (playing with BASICA) one of these at my fathers office and being completely mesmerized by the gas plasma display. I have always wanted one, and this popped up for a good price.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 14230 of 52908, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Nice! I've had one of these cards in my dual P3-600 NT workstation for a while, it's a solid performer for OpenGL graphics apps, about twice as fast as the Elsa Gloria II that it replaced. I think it was the first Wildcat accelerator that was available for sale to the general public outside of OEMs like Dell and HP, hence the abundant supply.

Want to buy one....but really struggling to find a practical reason.

Reply 14231 of 52908, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Want to buy one....but really struggling to find a practical reason.

I would have but one if it wasn't for the 48$ shipping to romania...

Reply 14232 of 52908, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:
Arctic wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Thank you 😀

I snagged one also.

Snatched one here too. Dunno what I'll ever do with it, probably just stash it in a closet indefinitely and store it forever. But it was cheap.. and sealed sorta vintage thingy. Guess I can kinda start collecting.. even Artex had to start somewhere.

Reply 14233 of 52908, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few systems with AGP Pro slots, one of which is a dual Athlon MP system that would work with the Wildcat II 5000 card (If I ever find another EATX case).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14234 of 52908, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought X-Fi Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer for ~25$ (I got lucky I live in same town as seller 😀).

X-Fi Fatal1ty (SB0460).jpg
Filename
X-Fi Fatal1ty (SB0460).jpg
File size
4.91 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

157143230295.png

Reply 14235 of 52908, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today a Voodoo3 PCI came in the mail!!

5n93OiO.jpg

It was 7.10€ posted, it works! I only tested it and updated its bios to latest (and surely last) version. I'll save it to the moment I get a decent 430TX board to recreate my first pc (I hope I had this one back then when I had to use a miserable S3 Virge 😲 ). But man it gets hot! The transistor on the board nearly burns your finger when touching.

Now I have:

-1x Voodoo2 12MB
-1x Voodoo3 2000 PCI
-2x Voodoo3 3000 AGP
-1x Voodoo Banshee AGP

I'm not collecting them at all, it's only kind of 'storage' for a really mytical graphics card maker 🤣 🤣

Reply 14236 of 52908, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx_91 wrote:
Today a Voodoo3 PCI came in the mail!! […]
Show full quote

Today a Voodoo3 PCI came in the mail!!

It was 7.10€ posted, it works! I only tested it and updated its bios to latest (and surely last) version. I'll save it to the moment I get a decent 430TX board to recreate my first pc (I hope I had this one back then when I had to use a miserable S3 Virge 😲 ). But man it gets hot! The transistor on the board nearly burns your finger when touching.

Now I have:

-1x Voodoo2 12MB
-1x Voodoo3 2000 PCI
-2x Voodoo3 3000 AGP
-1x Voodoo Banshee AGP

I'm not collecting them at all, it's only kind of 'storage' for a really mytical graphics card maker 🤣 🤣

In my small experience owning 2 Voodoo3 PCI & 1 voodoo3 AGP... I would just advise you that if you intend to use them in an actual system, and want the things to still work afterwards.. mount a fan on that heatsink, some how some way. These things seem to get -HOT-. And by hot I mean -REALLY FREAKING HOT-, as in instantly sear your finger flesh in 1-2 seconds if you touch the heatsink hot. Why they didn't ship with a fan I'll never know.

Reply 14237 of 52908, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ second that, even a small fan makes a huge difference

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14238 of 52908, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

In my small experience owning 2 Voodoo3 PCI & 1 voodoo3 AGP... I would just advise you that if you intend to use them in an actual system, and want the things to still work afterwards.. mount a fan on that heatsink, some how some way. These things seem to get -HOT-. And by hot I mean -REALLY FREAKING HOT-, as in instantly sear your finger flesh in 1-2 seconds if you touch the heatsink hot. Why they didn't ship with a fan I'll never know.

Yeah! I've already thought about that, and my actual retro system has a silent fan directly blowing air into the card. It has been running nice and cold since that modification 😀 😀

8revJbT.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aszC13E-B-k (Phil's video 😀)

You're right about that, I can´t imagine how many V3s had to run enclosed in those tiny AT cases! -Pentium,K6,etc-

Reply 14239 of 52908, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Memory chips to upgrade my CL VLB video card to 2MB:

s-l800.jpg

Cheapest I've found, $7 for 8 chips, 256kx4 60ns. Should be fast enough, most cards I've seen had 70ns chips. I don't even think chips from this category were ever made faster than 60ns.

Also ISA riser with 5 slots (2 are on the opposite side) to use with a socket462 motherboard that has only 1 ISA slot. This way I could use up to 3 ISA cards in it (the 2 on the other side would physically interfere with the PCI cards if populated).

s-l800.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O