VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16560 of 52929, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought this Macintosh Powerbook 145B for 5$ today at a thrift shop, don't actually have a PSU for it since it needs 7.5v at 2amps and I don't have anything like that but it looks to be in VERY good condition! Don't think it got used much. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db543m3.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db543o4.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db545mp.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db545y2.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db545vy.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db545t6.jpg

Is this some kind of security thing?

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-db545ou.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 16561 of 52929, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
meljor wrote:

Finally found a Geforce3 ti500 and i'm very happy with it. It's exactly the same as this picture from google (Asus deluxe version), works like a charm!

20 euro incl. so a very nice deal i think.

Was that the one I posted up on ebay a while back in the ebay thread?

No i bought it locally (here in NL) but that conversation got me searching again so thanx anyway! 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 16562 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
I found it at a local tech surplus shop. Since I work with hardware, the most logical guess that happened is some Nvidia employe […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Keep us posted. I've never seen a mobile chipset on a PCI-E card. Sadly, it almost certainly will either require custom drivers not open to the public and at the very least will likely have an unsupported device ID. Where did you even find that? I don't think that stuff is ever suppose to leave the hands of who it originally went to.

I found it at a local tech surplus shop. Since I work with hardware, the most logical guess that happened is some Nvidia employee/contractor went to dispose of it and literally put it in the wrong bin. Usually there's one bin for scrap/waste that goes to auction or a waste disposal company. The other bin is for confidential materials (like HDD/SSD, pre-production HW) that gets destroyed.

Edit:

Looks identical to the card here (bottom row).

http://www.yjfy.com/Museum/video/G72_ES.htm

A bin full of rare pre-production hardware exclusively has to be the single worst idea I've ever heard. Here in America It would be stolen on a weekly basis. Might even have happened in this case at one point in the cards life.

What do you plan to do with it? I'd imagine it would have some value to anyone who repairs laptops if nothing else.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16563 of 52929, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

A bin full of rare pre-production hardware exclusively has to be the single worst idea I've ever heard. Here in America It would be stolen on a weekly basis. Might even have happened in this case at one point in the cards life.

What do you plan to do with it? I'd imagine it would have some value to anyone who repairs laptops if nothing else.

I mean... where I work, we have stacks of pre-production hardware just floating around. There are definitely cameras around (not everywhere), so if too much goes "missing" or mysteriously appearing on eBay, then the perpetrators would likely be found and terminated if not pressed for legal charges. This has happened before. A more likely scenario is if an occasional item goes "missing" for collector's sake and never ends up on eBay for something on the order of a decade+.

Update:
Put the Nvidia ES in my Asus P4GPL-X, video BIOS says GeForce Go 7400 (VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8). Would not load the GeForce drivers via Nvidia Setup.exe in Windows XP. Had to force it to load the GF Go 7400 drivers. Got an error on driver load, but the card seems perfectly fine. If I were seriously benchmarking it, I would probably modify one of the inf's and include my device_id + subsystem_id. I'm guessing that's why it's being blocked.

Ran 3DMark2001SE with Pentium-M 730@ 2.4GHz (guess it does work at that for stock voltage).

Edit: I'm going to run my usual gamut of 3DMark tests and then bag it. Long day today and I must retire. How does one add pictures that doesn't get cut off on this forum?

eFM22SA.png

As for what I'm going to do with it? I'm just going to put it in a static bag and add one for my collection. Nvidia ES's seem pretty rare.

Reply 16564 of 52929, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Edit: I'm going to run my usual gamut of 3DMark tests and then bag it. Long day today and I must retire. How does one add pictures that doesn't get cut off on this forum?

The picture does not get cut off if your screen is wide enough (it's a CSS/page formatting issue issue).

Reply 16565 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
I mean... where I work, we have stacks of pre-production hardware just floating around. There are definitely cameras around (not […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I mean... where I work, we have stacks of pre-production hardware just floating around. There are definitely cameras around (not everywhere), so if too much goes "missing" or mysteriously appearing on eBay, then the perpetrators would likely be found and terminated if not pressed for legal charges. This has happened before. A more likely scenario is if an occasional item goes "missing" for collector's sake and never ends up on eBay for something on the order of a decade+.

Update:
Put the Nvidia ES in my Asus P4GPL-X, video BIOS says GeForce Go 7400 (VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8). Would not load the GeForce drivers via Nvidia Setup.exe in Windows XP. Had to force it to load the GF Go 7400 drivers. Got an error on driver load, but the card seems perfectly fine. If I were seriously benchmarking it, I would probably modify one of the inf's and include my device_id + subsystem_id. I'm guessing that's why it's being blocked.

Ran 3DMark2001SE with Pentium-M 730@ 2.4GHz (guess it does work at that for stock voltage).

eFM22SA.png

As for what I'm going to do with it? I'm just going to put it in a static bag and add one for my collection. Nvidia ES's seem pretty rare.

This idea just hit me..

Take a laptop LCD and put it in the window of a case.... Hook it into the laptop LCD connector on your card....
You've just built your own all in one. If this card works in modern system id say that may be the most practical usage for it.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16566 of 52929, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A very basic SCSI ISA board for my 486, no onboard Bios or anything fancy, more retro Linux distros and an update CD for the Edirol DV-7:

adaptec1505.JPG
Filename
adaptec1505.JPG
File size
63.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
retro-linux.jpg
Filename
retro-linux.jpg
File size
73.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 16567 of 52929, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally had time to disassemble a Socket 7 system I purchased a while back:
H4ohxoXl.jpg
Intel 430TX based motherboard (PC-Partner model 35-8333-01 according to Google)
OE2f20Gl.jpg
Before disassembling I booted it up:
g3Jro8Ol.jpg

Also a Chicony TK8880F/2066 486 board I bought a while back. VLB and PCI, probably an Intel DX/2 66MHz, all memory slots filledSoldered on Dallas RTC so will have to modify/replace if the board still functions. Looks a lot like another 486 board I have somewhere by PCChips, although this cache is probably real 😀
1gZU9pKl.jpg?1
Fun fact: somebody in the factory put some of the the silkscreen on the back in the wrong way 😀 😀
9YWnpv8l.jpg?2

1982 to 2001

Reply 16568 of 52929, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

This idea just hit me..

Take a laptop LCD and put it in the window of a case.... Hook it into the laptop LCD connector on your card....
You've just built your own all in one. If this card works in modern system id say that may be the most practical usage for it.

Would be cool. Reminiscent of:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10175/shuttle_d … reen/index.html

And King C, that PB 145B is beautiful!!

Reply 16569 of 52929, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

Found this baby hiding in the CPU section of ebay. Cheaper than the one I was watching and in near mint condition. Popped the service tag into dell support and checked the original build. Supposedly it shipped with a P4 EE 3.4/800. It's a bit off from what the seller described, but I really don't see a reason why anybody would downgrade a CPU.

CPU failure and insufficient funds to replace the original model with another like it. or maybe the CPU was dead when the seller received it and he repaired it with a lower end part due to the price and rarity of the EE.

Well, I pestered the seller a bit asking him if he was the original owner and if anything was replaced. According to him it was custom built for him and nothing was changed. I should be getting in tuesday (everything happens on a tuesday) along with the B1000r special edition. Fingers crossed I open them up and find a GF256 DDR and the P4 EE.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16570 of 52929, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a deal with a local computer shop that takes computers for recycling that if they get anything very old (like pre-Pentium III) they will call me and I can pick the machine up, albeit after they remove the hard drives. I think this might not exactly be legal but they themself said they rarely get old machines and usually get 478 and newer stuff so it won't impact them much hopefully.

I perused their parts section in the meantime and they actually do sell older parts still! I got a PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128 MB AGP video card, a Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 sound card, a Belkin PCI wifi card (with win98se support) and an OPTi 2x usb card.

Attachments

Last edited by cj_reha on 2017-04-10, 15:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 16571 of 52929, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Made a deal with a local computer shop that takes computers for recycling that if they get anything very old (like pre-Pentium III) they will call me and I can pick the machine up, albeit after they remove the hard drives. I think this might not exactly be legal but they themself said they rarely get old machines and usually get 478 and newer stuff so it won't impact them much hopefully.

I perused their parts section in the meantime and they actually do sell older parts still! I got a PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 256 MB AGP video card, a Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 sound card, a Belkin PCI wifi card (with win98se support) and an OPTi 2x usb card.

Don't worry. It's all above board. When it comes to recycling, unless they are required by contract to destroy the equipment (never happens) then all it is is a transfer of ownership. Refurbishment/resale is generally understood as a form of recycling. It's only an issue if the recycler/new owner doesn't approve of what happens to it. I.E. Geeksquad/easytech employees taking things home. They will prosecute if loss prevention finds out.

Reply 16572 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I perused their parts section in the meantime and they actually do sell older parts still! I got a PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 256 MB AGP video card, a Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 sound card, a Belkin PCI wifi card (with win98se support) and an OPTi 2x usb card.

Don't worry. It's all above board. When it comes to recycling, unless they are required by contract to destroy the equipment (never happens) then all it is is a transfer of ownership. Refurbishment/resale is generally understood as a form of recycling. It's only an issue if the recycler/new owner doesn't approve of what happens to it. I.E. Geeksquad/easytech employees taking things home. They will prosecute if loss prevention finds out.

Around here most businesses just let you grab stuff from there e-waste. They just see it as one less trip to the recycling center which means no fuel or employee time spent on it. Everyone wins.

Reply 16573 of 52929, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
F Also a Chicony TK8880F/2066 486 board I bought a while back. VLB and PCI, probably an Intel DX/2 66MHz, all memory slots fille […]
Show full quote

F
Also a Chicony TK8880F/2066 486 board I bought a while back. VLB and PCI, probably an Intel DX/2 66MHz, all memory slots filledSoldered on Dallas RTC so will have to modify/replace if the board still functions. Looks a lot like another 486 board I have somewhere by PCChips, although this cache is probably real 😀
1gZU9pKl.jpg?1
Fun fact: somebody in the factory put some of the the silkscreen on the back in the wrong way 😀 😀
9YWnpv8l.jpg?2

Interesting! 😁

🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16574 of 52929, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So Phenom II X6 CPUs are fairly expensive as retro CPU's go. 1055Ts are going for 60-70 USD or so. So on a whim I offered this guy 70 for each of these towers. So basically I get the rest of the components for shipping costs. I think I have a problem. Hello my name is Brandon and I am a retroholic 🤣

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112357587234?

Reply 16575 of 52929, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I slugered.
I bought 10ft of 1/4" tubbing
2 older swift tech water blocks with 604/771 mounts
A Noctua 120mm industrial fan, 72cfm at 29dba
2 raptor hdds
Some mosfet heat sinks.

Reply 16576 of 52929, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

So Phenom II X6 CPUs are fairly expensive as retro CPU's go. 1055Ts are going for 60-70 USD or so. So on a whim I offered this guy 70 for each of these towers. So basically I get the rest of the components for shipping costs. I think I have a problem. Hello my name is Brandon and I am a retroholic 🤣

Wow, I had so many opportunities to pick those up. Anything with an AMD badge get's maybe two seconds of my attention. Also, i think I speak for the rest of the forum in a group chorus "hello brandon"

Reply 16577 of 52929, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

It's only an addiction if your life becomes unmanageable and you can't quit. 😀

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16578 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

Aren't 1055T's still more than most computer users need? IMO those are still high-entry level CPUs even for gaming.
6 Thuban Cores at 2.8GHZ.

Reply 16579 of 52929, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

Aren't 1055T's still more than most computer users need? IMO those are still high-entry level CPUs even for gaming.
6 Thuban Cores at 2.8GHZ.

I'd tend to agree with the Thuban 6x being quite adequate for even modern rigs.
Actually, my Phenom II 3.2GHz (4x core) is still enough for most of my gaming needs. It does max out a bit faster and I doubt it can play most modern "popular" games very well. Not bad for a CPU this old!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!