Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
How about this little thing? […]
Show full quote

How about this little thing?

cid_Pic20-1_zpsd80a1daf.jpg

Look at that beautiful silkscreen. Not all chipped up, faded or dirty like you find on a lot of chips from this time period.

Is it yours? Where did you find it and are there more? Could you upload a sharper photo of the front and back?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1723 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
sliderider wrote:
How about this little thing? […]
Show full quote

How about this little thing?

cid_Pic20-1_zpsd80a1daf.jpg

Look at that beautiful silkscreen. Not all chipped up, faded or dirty like you find on a lot of chips from this time period.

Is it yours? Where did you find it and are there more? Could you upload a sharper photo of the front and back?

Yes, it's mine. it arrived today and as far as I know the seller has no more. All I have for photos is my mobile phone which only does 480 x 640 and it's a pain because then I have to email them to myself and upload them to Photobucket before linking them here. What did you need to see from the back? There is a sticker over the copyright information, not sure if it supposed to be there or not.

Reply 1724 of 52967, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Yes, it's mine. it arrived today and as far as I know the seller has no more. All I have for photos is my mobile phone which only does 480 x 640 and it's a pain because then I have to email them to myself and upload them to Photobucket before linking them here. What did you need to see from the back? There is a sticker over the copyright information, not sure if it supposed to be there or not.

The fact that you found one recently implies to me that there might be more to be found with the due effort. I found mine by messaging A LOT of sellers on CPU-world who I thought might have it and were willing to sell. I had been looking for this chip for more than 10 years before I found it. Where did you find yours?

I want to know the numbers on the back to determine the fab facility, date code, etc.

Reply 1725 of 52967, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, is that a Cyrix 5x86 133?
That should be quite a bit faster than a AMD 5x86 PR75, not to mention with overclocking involved!

Also, Artex, I'm really loving your machines in there, great stuff! 😁

Reply 1726 of 52967, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

That should be quite a bit faster than a AMD 5x86 PR75, not to mention with overclocking involved!

Thanks bud! More pix coming tomorrow!

Reply 1727 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
sliderider wrote:

The fact that you found one recently implies to me that there might be more to be found with the due effort. I found mine by messaging A LOT of sellers on CPU-world who I thought might have it and were willing to sell. I had been looking for this chip for more than 10 years before I found it. Where did you find yours?

I want to know the numbers on the back to determine the fab facility, date code, etc.

Got lucky. Found it on ebay a few days ago when I was going through my saved searches. It was in a lot with some AMD DX4's. It was one of those scrap gold lots, but I've bought motherboards, video cards, and sound cards from those lots and haven't got a bad part yet so I figured I'd take a chance. I thought the BIN was a little high, but a big chunk of the price is probably there in the gold on the pins alone even if none of them works. It was one of those deals where you grab it as soon as you see it before someone else does. I couldn't believe it, there were actually people submitting offers instead of just grabbing it before it was gone.

I got the sticker off. it has a C in a circle followed by an M in a circle 1995 Cyrix USA G5LB602H

Reply 1728 of 52967, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Bought a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI for 20 pounds.
Works like a charm 😁

Jealous!! I just bagged a boxed AGP version of the card for $15.00 shipped, but I cannot find a PCI version anywhere but in Europe which means $$$ shipping.

Reply 1729 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Works like a charm 😁

Jealous!! I just bagged a boxed AGP version of the card for $15.00 shipped, but I cannot find a PCI version anywhere but in Europe which means $$$ shipping.

I bought a PCI V5500 right after 3DFX went belly up and everyone was dumping their cards. Paid $75 for it new which was a steal compared to the original retail price and it's still a steal even by today's prices.

Reply 1730 of 52967, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Artex wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Works like a charm 😁

I bought a PCI V5500 right after 3DFX went belly up and everyone was dumping their cards. Paid $75 for it new which was a steal compared to the original retail price and it's still a steal even by today's prices.

Not helping the jealousy. 😀

Reply 1731 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

It's a 120GP/4X, the next best thing to a 133GP/4X. I think I probably have about as much chance at finding a 133GP/4X as I do of finding a AMD 5x86-160, which is practically none. That's the story of my collecting life, always having to make do with second best. Sigh.

Reply 1732 of 52967, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Works like a charm 😁

Yes, I got really lucky with this one. I found it on amibay, a guy there was using it on his Amiga Mediator board and according to him it wasn't always detected. I figured that for this price, I could just test it out and sell it back very easily if I found it flakey.
Turns out it worked like a charm immediately. Played MDK2 and Quake 3 for a couple of hours on it too 😁.

@Sliderider

I guess that's life. 😁 Does anyone even have a 133GP/4X?

Reply 1733 of 52967, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
Yes, I got really lucky with this one. I found it on amibay, a guy there was using it on his Amiga Mediator board and according […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Works like a charm 😁

Yes, I got really lucky with this one. I found it on amibay, a guy there was using it on his Amiga Mediator board and according to him it wasn't always detected. I figured that for this price, I could just test it out and sell it back very easily if I found it flakey.
Turns out it worked like a charm immediately. Played MDK2 and Quake 3 for a couple of hours on it too 😁.

@Sliderider

Well done! Patience is key - I found a boxed Ensoniq SoundScape Elite after a 1.5 years!

Reply 1734 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
Yes, I got really lucky with this one. I found it on amibay, a guy there was using it on his Amiga Mediator board and according […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Works like a charm 😁

@Sliderider

feipoa does and I think Tetrium does, too. I'm not sure about Tetrium, though. I'm pretty sure at least one other person here at VOGONS does, Tetrium just naturally springs to mind since he seems to have everything else.

Reply 1735 of 52967, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Also, Artex, I'm really loving your machines in there, great stuff! :D

It's a 120GP/4X, the next best thing to a 133GP/4X. I think I probably have about as much chance at finding a 133GP/4X as I do of finding a AMD 5x86-160, which is practically none. That's the story of my collecting life, always having to make do with second best. Sigh.

I think in terms of markings on the chip, the 120GP/4X is rarer than the 133GP/4X, however for actual usage, I think the 133GP/4X is more valuable.

Interesting, a G5LB602H with 4x. I thought those didn't even exist. I figured that particular fab did not produce any 4x parts. I thought all the 1996 fab runs for 4x came from FB, at least all that I've seen. FB produced both 3x and 4x, so you cannot see FB and think it is 4x. FB 4x chips were certainly the most common. My 4x is from G5D9, which were very uncommon. I beleive D is the fab house and 9 is the dye run. Yours would be the first L 4x fabbed chip I've seen. Can you be sure it actually runs at 4x?

By the way, here's the breakdown, as I understand it:

G5LB602H
G5 = Don't know
L = Fab house (Est Fishkill, NY?)
B = Dye run number
6 = 1996 (5 = 1995)
02 = Week 2 (of 1996)
H = Lot number

Neon_WA and Tetrium both have an FB 4x chip, but I think Tetrium keeps his in a vacuum sealed vault at a Swiss bank.

Reply 1737 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
I think in terms of markings on the chip, the 120GP/4X is rarer than the 133GP/4X, however for actual usage, I think the 133GP/4 […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I think in terms of markings on the chip, the 120GP/4X is rarer than the 133GP/4X, however for actual usage, I think the 133GP/4X is more valuable.

Interesting, a G5LB602H with 4x. I thought those didn't even exist. I figured that particular fab did not produce any 4x parts. I thought all the 1996 fab runs for 4x came from FB, at least all that I've seen. FB produced both 3x and 4x, so you cannot see FB and think it is 4x. FB 4x chips were certainly the most common. My 4x is from G5D9, which were very uncommon. I beleive D is the fab house and 9 is the dye run. Yours would be the first L 4x fabbed chip I've seen. Can you be sure it actually runs at 4x?

By the way, here's the breakdown, as I understand it:

G5LB602H
G5 = Don't know
L = Fab house (Est Fishkill, NY?)
B = Dye run number
6 = 1996 (5 = 1995)
02 = Week 2 (of 1996)
H = Lot number

Neon_WA and Tetrium both have an FB 4x chip, but I think Tetrium keeps his in a vacuum sealed vault at a Swiss bank.

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between a 5x86 GP and a 5x86 QP besides the packaging? Also, what motherboard multiplier is 4x mapped to?

Reply 1738 of 52967, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between a 5x86 GP and a 5x86 QP besides the packaging? Also, what motherboard multiplier is 4x mapped to?

I'm pretty sure G and Q are just packaging. The QP's I have seem to work the same as the GP's.

For 4x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 4x on the CPU
3x on motherboard = 3x on the CPU

For 3x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 2x on the CPU

When can you test this baby out?

Reply 1739 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
I'm pretty sure G and Q are just packaging. The QP's I have seem to work the same as the GP's. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

I'm pretty sure G and Q are just packaging. The QP's I have seem to work the same as the GP's.

For 4x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 4x on the CPU

For 3x-capable Cyrix 5x86 chips,
2x on motherboard = 2x on the CPU

When can you test this baby out?

I just tested it! I put it in one of my M919's. I set the frequency jumpers down to 25mhz, though, because I didn't know what speed it would boot up at and didn't want to burn it out before I even had a chance to use it. At 25mhz frequency it reports 100mhz at bootup. The system I used doesn't have a hard drive installed, though, so I couldn't get past the initial bootup screen.

Edit: I found a diagram at stason for these boards and figured out how to put into 3x. I set it to 3x and frequency to 40mhz and it now boots at 120mhz.

So it looks like it maps 4x automatically to 2x so there is no chance at all of running 50, 60 or 66mhz bus with these. And since they don't overclock well, it looks like 33 x 4 or 40 x 3 is as far as you can go with these.

Now to find a suitable hard drive that isn't only good for scrap metal.