VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17600 of 52976, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:

PCI and EISA, that's a pretty sweet board. If a VLB/ISA/PCI board is a VIP board, does that make yours a PIE?

hmm pie 😁

I just googled every number and letter on the board and through reading some websites I think I found out that this board is a PC CHIPS M599LMR. Now I just need to find the BIOS for this board and a way to flash it on some EPROM or whatever I need as a BIOS chip.

Reply 17601 of 52976, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
It's not EISA. […]
Show full quote
xplus93 wrote:
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Recently picked up a load of scrap motherboards for cheap including these two guys here which are missing their bios chip. Anybody have the BIOS for these two? Or maybe even knows what the right one is called cause I cant figure that out too...

PCI and EISA, that's a pretty sweet board. If a VLB/ISA/PCI board is a VIP board, does that make yours a PIE?

It's not EISA.

It was discussed before - PISA:
Brown ISA slot

Isn't that port used for single board cards to have a processor, RAM, etc installed on the computer and upgradable in most cases, too?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 17602 of 52976, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Eleanor1967

I think I've found it ^^

On this polish website : http://www.plikus.pl/plik,pc-chips-m599lmr-bi … k0930s,c7j.html

To flash EPROMS, all you need is a motherboard using the same kind of EPROM (it must be from the mid/late 1990's, earlier board couldn't flash their own bios), then with a screwdriver, you loosen the EPROM of that motherboard a little bit, but you make it in a way it's still in contact. Then you start up the board, boot on a DOS floppy disk containing the latest version of uniflash (available here : https://web.archive.org/web/20060411093416/ht … 80/download.htm) and the bios you want to flash. Then remove carefully the EPROM chip from the motherboard while it's on, put the blank EPROM, then use uniflash to flash your rom ^^. If everything went right, your blank EPROM is now flashed with a fresh BIOS. All you need to do now is to put the original bios rom that you removed to flash the blank one back to where it was and the newly flashed one in it's new home

Also, look at my previous post if you didn't see it, I've also found the BIOS for the socket 3 "PIE" motherboard ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17603 of 52976, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
kixs wrote:

It's not EISA.

It was discussed before - PISA:
Brown ISA slot

Isn't that port used for single board cards to have a processor, RAM, etc installed on the computer and upgradable in most cases, too?

How does that work? is there a jumper to disable the original CPU/RAM? If so and the original system can work fine with the card installed you could have two computers in one case. Sounds unlikely though.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17604 of 52976, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
@Eleanor1967 […]
Show full quote

@Eleanor1967

I think I've found it ^^

On this polish website : http://www.plikus.pl/plik,pc-chips-m599lmr-bi … k0930s,c7j.html

To flash EPROMS, all you need is a motherboard using the same kind of EPROM (it must be from the mid/late 1990's, earlier board couldn't flash their own bios), then with a screwdriver, you loosen the EPROM of that motherboard a little bit, but you make it in a way it's still in contact. Then you start up the board, boot on a DOS floppy disk containing the latest version of uniflash (available here : https://web.archive.org/web/20060411093416/ht … 80/download.htm) and the bios you want to flash. Then remove carefully the EPROM chip from the motherboard while it's on, put the blank EPROM, then use uniflash to flash your rom ^^. If everything went right, your blank EPROM is now flashed with a fresh BIOS. All you need to do now is to put the original bios rom that you removed to flash the blank one back to where it was and the newly flashed one in it's new home

Also, look at my previous post if you didn't see it, I've also found the BIOS for the socket 3 "PIE" motherboard ^^

Thanks for all your digging ! I will give this a go when I can get my hands on some EPROMs.

Now I just need to find one of this PISA cards with a 486 on it and than I can build the ultimate 486 supercomputer 😁 (assuming both CPUs could be used at the same time, otherwise a board with an Pentium on it wold be sweet. Man really excited about that PISA slot ^^)

Reply 17605 of 52976, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Golden Oldies:

Shugart disk drive and Cipher tape drive.

9luNE55l.jpg

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 17606 of 52976, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Dell Optiplex GX1 I found on eBay but it has no PSU and HD. That's fine cause I have extras of those and the right power supply for it too.

Punched the service tag on Dell's site and it has 500MHz Pentium III Slot 1, 128MB RAM (at least, the pictures show all 3 banks filled so likely has more). Bonus, it comes with 4MB video and an additional 4MB in the upgrade slot. Some sort of ATI rage IIRC.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17607 of 52976, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So.

Apparently 1 trip to the recycling center on my lunch and about an hour is enough to turn me inadvertently into a vintage Macintosh collector.

Pictures to follow when I get home, get it in the house, and dodge my wife's fists of fury.

Went in to see what was in. They had a Macintosh LC 630 in the box (with monitor and keyboard) that they've had for a while, and they had been asking 100$ for but they just wanted it gone.

They offered it to me for 20$ and I couldn't pass it up.

And then they said I could take the rest of the ones on the shelf if I gave them another 10$.

So... for 30$:

1 Mac LC630 in box
1 15" Apple Display to match the LC630, in box
Several Apple Keyboards and Mice
1 Apple Laserwriter (of some model) in box.
1 12" Apple Monochrome display - heavily yellowed.
1 pizza box Mac I didn't look at that closely, power supply issue, matches the 12" display
1 Power Macintosh G3 Desktop (with OSX Server on it)
1 Power Macintosh 7200
1 Quadra full size tower, I think it's a 900 series
1 G4 Tower

And they also threw in several 90's and 2000's joysticks, and a USB floppy drive, and a big box of Ethernet cables, basically a bunch of things they were having a hard time selling locally and they prefer not to ship.

I probably could have gotten more if I hadn't run out of space in the car (and if I hadn't basically said "OK that's enough my wife will kill me"). They had a Compaq LTE 286 laptop, and a 8086 based Data General One they were trying to give me, but the Compaq had no power cord and the Data General is literally slower than the original IBM PC (it has a 4 Mhz 8086)

They still have some Atari screens, some Commodore hardware, an Epson Equity I, a couple other things. I probably could have taken the Epson Equity I (in box as well, with a matching printer) but I really don't have any need for or attachment to an IBM PC Clone, even a branded one.

Reply 17608 of 52976, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...but the 8086 uses a 16-bit data bus which the 8088 in the PC did not.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 17609 of 52976, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fair..... but I really just have no need for a machine of that vintage except as a conversation/display piece, and I don't have anywhere to display it.

There's a good chance that after some cleaning up of the Macs I'll end up reselling some of them as well.

EDIT: Believe me, if I had space to keep it all I totally would... I wish there were some Southern-Ontario based collectors around here I could direct there to pick the stuff up I don't grab 😀

Reply 17610 of 52976, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This Aopen AX-53 arrived. I need to find a manual for it to determine if it actually is fully ATX compliant before I accidentally fry it.

Seems like a solid board, 430HX, ATX FF, 4 SIMM, should be able to support most 66 FSB CPU's. Looks like the cache chips are EtronTech Em531323-7 (2x 32K x 32 / 8 = 256KByte). One HUGE downside is the Dallas RTC. Not even sure why Aopen didn't use a CR2032.

bRluHJD.jpg

Reply 17611 of 52976, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LHN91 wrote:
So. […]
Show full quote

So.

Apparently 1 trip to the recycling center on my lunch and about an hour is enough to turn me inadvertently into a vintage Macintosh collector.

Pictures to follow when I get home, get it in the house, and dodge my wife's fists of fury.

Went in to see what was in. They had a Macintosh LC 630 in the box (with monitor and keyboard) that they've had for a while, and they had been asking 100$ for but they just wanted it gone.

They offered it to me for 20$ and I couldn't pass it up.

And then they said I could take the rest of the ones on the shelf if I gave them another 10$.

So... for 30$:

1 Mac LC630 in box
1 15" Apple Display to match the LC630, in box
Several Apple Keyboards and Mice
1 Apple Laserwriter (of some model) in box.
1 12" Apple Monochrome display - heavily yellowed.
1 pizza box Mac I didn't look at that closely, power supply issue, matches the 12" display
1 Power Macintosh G3 Desktop (with OSX Server on it)
1 Power Macintosh 7200
1 Quadra full size tower, I think it's a 900 series
1 G4 Tower

And they also threw in several 90's and 2000's joysticks, and a USB floppy drive, and a big box of Ethernet cables, basically a bunch of things they were having a hard time selling locally and they prefer not to ship.

I probably could have gotten more if I hadn't run out of space in the car (and if I hadn't basically said "OK that's enough my wife will kill me"). They had a Compaq LTE 286 laptop, and a 8086 based Data General One they were trying to give me, but the Compaq had no power cord and the Data General is literally slower than the original IBM PC (it has a 4 Mhz 8086)

They still have some Atari screens, some Commodore hardware, an Epson Equity I, a couple other things. I probably could have taken the Epson Equity I (in box as well, with a matching printer) but I really don't have any need for or attachment to an IBM PC Clone, even a branded one.

Doesnt the data general one predate the IBM PC?

Welcome to the cult of Apple btw. I'd grab those Atari screens if I were you, alot of them were standard RGB IIRC.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17612 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if retro or not.. but I picked up this at 3am today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222569252077

Pretty much the biggest elite overclocking motherboard for Pentium4 chips for 775, and most 775 chips in general.

ASUS P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP. Special because it's one of the few (possibly the only) motherboard that will let us clock old and new 775 chips all the way up to 2.10v, and supports every 775 chip ever produced (just about), and ddr3 dual channel up to 2000 mhz (at least that's what the manual says..) Supports Intel XMP though.

Looking forward to trying to take some of my P4 and celeron chips to 6 Ghz possibly. Don't know if I can do it with just water, we'll see. The chips are dirt cheap today (like $3 - $6), so don't care if I burn em out. It'll be fun.

Reply 17613 of 52976, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Not sure if retro or not.. but I picked up this at 3am today: […]
Show full quote

Not sure if retro or not.. but I picked up this at 3am today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222569252077

Pretty much the biggest elite overclocking motherboard for Pentium4 chips for 775, and most 775 chips in general.

ASUS P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP. Special because it's one of the few (possibly the only) motherboard that will let us clock old and new 775 chips all the way up to 2.10v, and supports every 775 chip ever produced (just about), and ddr3 dual channel up to 2000 mhz (at least that's what the manual says..) Supports Intel XMP though.

Looking forward to trying to take some of my P4 and celeron chips to 6 Ghz possibly. Don't know if I can do it with just water, we'll see. The chips are dirt cheap today (like $3 - $6), so don't care if I burn em out. It'll be fun.

Most of the LGA775 top scores on the web are on P5Q Pro Turbo or (insert name of board that isn't that one that I can't remember right now)

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17614 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Most of the LGA775 top scores on the web are on P5Q Pro Turbo or (insert name of board that isn't that one that I can't remember right now)

And a good bit of the 7+ ghz scores for the old celerons use this exact board I picked up, at least the ones on hwbot.org, I'll never be able to go that high though.. I don't do Ln2, water is as crazy as I get right now. Almost considered a pot and liquefied air-duster at one point though. Liquid form of air duster is good to get down to -75c apparently, where as Ln2 is all the way down to like -200c or so. Dunno, at least I scored a nice board, and when I get 'bored' of clocking P4 chips, I can use it to take my 775 quads to full speed and at least get dual-ddr3 with it. My old 775 overclocking board was just dual-ddr2 and most of it doesn't work anymore.

Reply 17616 of 52976, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some PIII era CPUs..

med_gallery_60983_11505_37042.jpg

med_gallery_60983_11505_462787.jpg

med_gallery_60983_11505_429709.jpg

An ABIT BE6-II board to go with these (Seller's photo, didn't have time to clean it up properly for a photo yet)

62c6cfea7a27a14f7fac0735211729d7.jpeg

And a Socket A CPU for my AMD WinXP build when I get around to it (Wanted a Barton but got this for $3 so no complaining..)

med_gallery_60983_11505_394569.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17617 of 52976, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Probably the Maximus II Gene/Formual (P45 based) or the Rampage Formula/Extreme (X48 based).

I'm looking to pick them up eventually.

Rampage Formula, that's the one I was thinking of.

Also, Why do so many people here buy a Slot 1 motherboard and then run a Slocket on it?

Is for the ISA ports or is there some other detail I'm missing? If one wanted to run Socket 370 in most cases I would think it easier and cheaper to buy a Socket 370 board.

Reply 17619 of 52976, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Mostly for the ISA slot

What's wrong with the S370 boards that have ISA slots? Do the older chipsets have better ISA compatibility?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2