VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17963 of 52778, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The upper one is OLIVETTI board. It has a socketed i486 sx16 and a corresponding Cyrix Fastmath 16 coprocessor.
The lower one is Fujitsu board. It has a socketed i486 dx33 and can accomodate DX2 as well.

I'm not sure what to do with those boards and I mainly bought them for the CPUs.

Reply 17964 of 52778, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikoellner wrote:

I'm not sure what to do with those boards and I mainly bought them for the CPUs.

If you don't need them I could use the cards, I've been looking for a 486 SBC to use in my backplane I bought one off of eBay that will refuse to post with my sound card installed.

Reply 17965 of 52778, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I found my self something feather rare. A baby AT 440bx motherboard with 2 isa, 4 pci and one agp. And it supports overclocking
Only paid 10$ For it.

Are they rare? I still have mine from back in the day (Gigabyte 6BA).

I wouldn't use the term 'rare' but, from my own experience, I believe AT AGP boards were less common with Intel chipsets, but more common on MVP3 / Aladdin V motherboards.

EDIT: this arrived today. I recently acquired 3x 5.25" drives which, despite being 30+ years old, worked perfectly. Until I put in a disk that had mould spores on it and it made every other disk unreadable. So I ordered this:

20170724_082310-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170724_082310-2656x1494.jpg
File size
737.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's in absolutely mint condition and came in the best packaging I have ever seen. I've got no idea how old it is but it's an absolutely joy to behold something in such good condition. I might actually end up not using it, as spraying a little WD40 onto a disk, rotating it so it spreads out, and formatting it, seems to have got the drives working again. ALWAYS check your 5.25" disks for dirt before using them.

EDIT2: Found this - says it's 1991.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17966 of 52778, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed an "unknown sound card". It is some kind of Mediavision card with ID IXW-PAS16LL. What precisely is it, and where can I learn more? Looks like a PAS16 without any extra interfaces.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 17967 of 52778, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:
Local flea market findings (paid ~15 USD in total): […]
Show full quote

Local flea market findings (paid ~15 USD in total):

npm4on.jpg

What is that large card on the top left?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17968 of 52778, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a Socket 7 system for next to nothing a couple weeks ago, had the time to part it out yesterday. Here are the stuff I found inside:

med_gallery_60983_11505_5.jpg
Nice to have this CPU in a ceramic package at last, not that I know if it has any benefits to me..

med_gallery_60983_11505_116329.jpg
Time to hunt some 256Kx16 SIMMs to upgrade this to 2MB

med_gallery_60983_11505_445765.jpg
I was considering buying one of the last few Audician32s left on eBay but now I am settled.

med_gallery_60983_11505_116309.jpg
Just a regular Realtek NIC

I also bought this for my 486 build; gotta have something to play X-Wing/TIE-Fighter/Wing Commander with..

med_gallery_60983_11505_367719.jpg
Turned out to be a bit more yellowed than I hoped and squeaks a bit.. anyone know how to deal with a squeaking joystick?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17969 of 52778, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
Local flea market findings (paid ~15 USD in total): […]
Show full quote

Local flea market findings (paid ~15 USD in total):

npm4on.jpg

What is that large card on the top left?

If you're referring to those big cards with SIMM memory on-board - in both cases these are single board computers.

Reply 17970 of 52778, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
brassicGamer wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I found my self something feather rare. A baby AT 440bx motherboard with 2 isa, 4 pci and one agp. And it supports overclocking
Only paid 10$ For it.

Are they rare? I still have mine from back in the day (Gigabyte 6BA).

I wouldn't use the term 'rare' but, from my own experience, I believe AT AGP boards were less common with Intel chipsets, but more common on MVP3 / Aladdin V motherboards.

Its a 440bx board, socket 370. is that not rare in AT form factor with agp and isa ? This is not a SSK7 board.
Ether way its a tomato board, the way I look at it, its a tomato board, 440bx and AT with AGP/pci/isa and that's not a everyday find.

Reply 17971 of 52778, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Its a 440bx board, socket 370. is that not rare in AT form factor with agp and isa ? This is not a SSK7 board.
Ether way its a tomato board, the way I look at it, its a tomato board, 440bx and AT with AGP/pci/isa and that's not a everyday find.

I saw some on some auctioning sites and forums, and the ones I saw on eBay were ranging from $90-$120 for the AT style motherboards, and the ones I saw on another site are 20e-25e. I might upgrade my Socket 7 system to a Socket 370 with a Pentium III 1000 processor and get an AGP video card, like a Riva TNT2.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 17972 of 52778, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I saw some on some auctioning sites and forums, and the ones I saw on eBay were ranging from $90-$120 for the AT style motherboards, and the ones I saw on another site are 20e-25e. I might upgrade my Socket 7 system to a Socket 370 with a Pentium III 1000 processor and get an AGP video card, like a Riva TNT2.

Why not have both? Those are very different systems with only a little crossover.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17973 of 52778, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not *quite* retro, but bought an HP Compaq 8510p laptop on eBay. T7700, 4GB, etc.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17974 of 52778, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to show you a better picture of my new Laser Turbo II XT board that arrived yesterday:

w14heh.jpg

And here along with ATI EGA Wonder 800 that I'm going to use along with it:

315er0k.jpg

I'm thinking of putting it in some DIY furnished wooden case.

Reply 17975 of 52778, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

I wanted to show you a better picture of my new Laser Turbo II XT board that arrived yesterday:

Looks great. Let us know how it goes. I have an ATI Ega Wonder as well and one thing I've noticed is that EGA games are quite slow on my Turbo XT. I guess I put up with the lack of performance back in the day because I didn't know any better, but a 286 is probably a better fit for most EGA games.

Anyway, looking forward to see the build!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17976 of 52778, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My V3 that I got for $15 BIN mislabeled as a rage xl was mysteriously "lost" by the sellers mail carrier and never made it to the post office. I was refunded and I'm pissed about it. The seller lost nothing, they realized they sold something at a fair, non scalping value and committed fraud by not honoring the legally agreed upon price.

I'll be watching that seller and if that card shows up in another auction I'll be opening a scamming case with eBay.

At this rate, I'm never going to be able to get a V3 card for a reasonable price. Is one glide capable card without spending $50+ dollars too much to ask in this world?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17977 of 52778, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My V3 that I got for $15 BIN mislabeled as a rage xl was mysteriously "lost" by the sellers mail carrier and never made it to the post office. I was refunded and I'm pissed about it. The seller lost nothing, they realized they sold something at a fair, non scalping value and committed fraud by not honoring the legally agreed upon price.

I'll be watching that seller and if that card shows up in another auction I'll be opening a scamming case with eBay.

At this rate, I'm never going to be able to get a V3 card for a reasonable price. Is one glide capable card without spending $50+ dollars too much to ask in this world?

It was only last month when there were a score of Dell Voodoo 3s on the market, have you tried doing a search for the Dell OEM part number?

Reply 17978 of 52778, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

🤣 No fraud has been commited. Or scam for that matter since you got your money back. Scams and Frauds tend to leave people out of money as well as time.

No one is legally obliged to sell you anything. And ebay can't do jack since they are simply a middle man. The only thing sellers not selling and buyers not buying does is waste users time and have a bad reflection on the 'middle man'. In this case ebay.

Reply 17979 of 52778, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
spiroyster wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

🤣 No fraud has been commited. Or scam for that matter since you got your money back. Scams and Frauds tend to leave people out of money as well as time.

No one is legally obliged to sell you anything. And ebay can't do jack since they are simply a middle man. The only thing sellers not selling and buyers not buying does is waste users time and have a bad reflection on the 'middle man'. In this case ebay.

This isn't necesserily true, listing an item on eBay requires agreement to a policy and a winning bid on eBay is a contractual obligation, so not shipping the item, pretending it got lost and just offering to refund the payment simply because you did not like the going rate is indeed fraud and against eBay policy, the sales contract and probably legally an offense.