Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18040 of 52813, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slaventus86 wrote:

This is a prototype card, such cards were send to some chosen developers. This project was later transformed into Xeon Phi cards, though LRB2, or Knights Corner, still does have texture units, but the video output connectors were missing similar to some nVidia Tesla cards.

So this one has some ROP's? Supports GL/DX etc?

I hope you have drivers/software for it. Xeon Phi DIDN'T work on windows at first, so I suspect unless this can support later Phi drivers (which I don't think support raster operations), you might be a bit stuck in linux? and without graphics? Hopefully its display capabilities can be recognised outside of its Phi co-processor abilities.

Reply 18041 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Let me know when you won't to get rid of that card

I'm surprised you who has owned everything from a GF256 to a V6 6k doesn't already have one. I knew they were rare but I didn't think they were that rare.

Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else.
But yes they are rare, manly do to it being a flop, and if I recall a lot of the cards were traded in for 59x0 and 5700 cards.
Back in the day getting one would not be hard, but today they don't come up for sale all to often.
Its one of the few cards on my want list that I'll probably never use. I manly want one for show.

Reply 18042 of 52813, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I caved and bought this piece of memorabilia... I had this exact model when it was new back in the mid-90s. Maybe it was because of that, and the IBM PS/1 my family had at the time that I always preferred OEM-type boards for 386/486, as they always seemed to have video and I/O controllers built on to the board that would later become standard on Socket 7 and later, as opposed to traditional AT-style boards where everything was an add-on card... just seemed messy to me.

P.S. Don't tell my wife.

[edit] I do, very coincidentally, actually have a case for it...

Attachments

• 57.JPG
    Filename
    57.JPG
    File size
    278.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by RJDog on 2017-07-27, 13:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18043 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else. But […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Let me know when you won't to get rid of that card

I'm surprised you who has owned everything from a GF256 to a V6 6k doesn't already have one. I knew they were rare but I didn't think they were that rare.

Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else.
But yes they are rare, manly do to it being a flop, and if I recall a lot of the cards were traded in for 59x0 and 5700 cards.
Back in the day getting one would not be hard, but today they don't come up for sale all to often.
Its one of the few cards on my want list that I'll probably never use. I manly want one for show.

I like to own prestige cards but I like to put them into systems and build entire prestige systems that I actually use.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18044 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

eBay doesn't show (me) what is was any more...

RJDog wrote:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/253010905877 […]
Show full quote

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/253010905877

I caved and bought this piece of memorabilia... I had this exact model when it was new back in the mid-90s. Maybe it was because of that, and the IBM PS/1 my family had at the time that I always preferred OEM-type boards for 386/486, as they always seemed to have video and I/O controllers built on to the board that would later become standard on Socket 7 and later, as opposed to traditional AT-style boards where everything was an add-on card... just seemed messy to me.

P.S. Don't tell my wife.

1982 to 2001

Reply 18045 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I like to own prestige cards but I like to put them into systems and build entire prestige systems that I actually use.

Same here but I hate the idea of killing or damaging a rare piece of hardware by mistake.

Reply 18046 of 52813, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

eBay doesn't show (me) what is was any more...

Ah, sorry, I edited the post to have the picture, rather than the eBay link.

Reply 18047 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, looks like it has on-board memory instead of the first SIMM slot. Also I wonder what the brown slot is for?

PS. I won't tell

RJDog wrote:

P.S. Don't tell my wife.

1982 to 2001

Reply 18048 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Same here but I hate the idea of killing or damaging a rare piece of hardware by mistake.

You have to be pretty careless to kill post-2000s hardware. ESD was a major issue with 90s HW though. An anti-static wrist band usually solves that.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18049 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

You have to be pretty careless to kill post-2000s hardware. ESD was a major issue with 90s HW though. An anti-static wrist band usually solves that.

Not really, there are a lot more things then just ESD that can kill hardware.
Lighting strike, failed fan, PUS going BOOM and Caps blowing are just a few.
I like rare cards, but I'd hate the idea of using one regularly as something might happen to it.

Reply 18050 of 52813, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Cool, looks like it has on-board memory instead of the first SIMM slot.

Yup... which means the board always has a minimum of 4MB of RAM no matter what options you do or do not put into it, and also the board all by itself with absolutely nothing plugged into it other than the CPU is a fully functioning system... but it does also mean that the first SIMM is stuck at 4MB... oh well. I have a couple 4MB sticks of 72-pin DIMM lying around, so I'll probably put three in to make 16MB... that's a pretty good amount of RAM for a 486.

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Also I wonder what the brown slot is for?

Not 100% sure, but I think additional cache for the CPU.

Reply 18051 of 52813, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

P.S. Don't tell my wife.

Is that an ISA Slot 3 Way splitter riser board? Can you remove it and take a photo of what the motherboard looks like without it?

xplus93 wrote:

Got this with my most recent purchase. Can anybody identify it? I've never heard of a dual VGA ISA card before. Model number doesn't find anything at all.

Just pop it into an ISA slot computer. If you got an 8088 you might be able to catch the Manufacturer name and some special logos on this slow system. Back in the day some of these had very fancy delaying animations. If you pop this in a P3 or faster with ISA slots you might miss it since these are too fast.

That's the only way to determine it the easy way. There might be some DOS software from back in the day that could read/identify the Make and Model.

My guess is this would have dual output VGA signals on constantly. You'll have to use two VGA monitors or HDTVs with VGA input to confirm. I have a few PCI ones which seem to only switch to one or the other VGA output when plugged in before powering on but I haven't tried simultaneous VGA output. These ISA ones may behave the same way so you'll have to hook up both ports, have both VGA monitors on, and power it up and find out. The handy thing about these cards if somehow one of the VGA outputs die the other one probably should be good to go.
🤣

Reply 18053 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJDog wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Yup... which means the board always has a minimum of 4MB of RAM no matter what options you do or do not put into it, and also the board all by itself with absolutely nothing plugged into it other than the CPU is a fully functioning system... but it does also mean that the first SIMM is stuck at 4MB... oh well. I have a couple 4MB sticks of 72-pin DIMM lying around, so I'll probably put three in to make 16MB... that's a pretty good amount of RAM for a 486.

I've never like onboard ram. If it fails you can't remove it or disable it. Usually if onboard I/O fails you can either not use it or disable it and put in a replacement card.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18054 of 52813, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
RJDog wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I've never like onboard ram. If it fails you can't remove it or disable it. Usually if onboard I/O fails you can either not use it or disable it and put in a replacement card.

Very odd stuff. Is the 4MB onboard those 8 chips on the bottom near the DIMM sockets?

I don't recall seeing any motherboards with built in RAM. But now that I think about it I think maybe a few of my Packard Bell 90Mhz had some built in memory.

What would happen if you carefully desoldered those chips off the motherboard then would inserting the the memory module still function properly and eliminate the additional 4MB memory to the total?

Bummer I just noticed in the photo it is using a piezo speaker. 😢

Reply 18055 of 52813, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The wife knows, but won't let him. 🤣

(sorry, something about the phrasing and mention of 'the wife', I couldn't let the opportunity pass...)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18056 of 52813, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The wife knows, but won't let him. 🤣

(sorry, something about the phrasing and mention of 'the wife', I couldn't let the opportunity pass...)

🤣 you didn't Stiletto! 😲 😈

The brown slot looks like a PCI slot but it's definitely on the wrong end.

Also looking at the ISA slots the location where it is not spaced towards the edge near the connectors I wonder what kind of case this will go in as you wouldn't be able to use a standard ATX case to house it. The ISA cards will not be flush so you'll need some extension cables to get the audio out of the back plate gaps.

However if you want to go old school which I've done caseless and air cooled. Just get an old motherboard cardboard box and sit it on top of it. Hook up your AT power supply P8/P9, the old 5 PIN DIN mechanical clicky keyboard to PS/2 adapter, PS/2 mouse, video and sound card and power it up. I hope that 4MB memory works. Love that Intel 486DX33 classic Intel logo.

Reply 18057 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:
RJDog wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

In most cases, the onboard RAM cannot be disabled on some systems which is ridiculous. I have a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus that has 4MB onboard RAM that can be disabled via the jumper settings.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18058 of 52813, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
95DosBox wrote:

Yeah, confirmed it is for additional CPU cache.

95DosBox wrote:

Also looking at the ISA slots the location where it is not spaced towards the edge near the connectors I wonder what kind of case this will go in as you wouldn't be able to use a standard ATX case to house it

This board is for a "slim" case -- the ISA card you see is not a 3-way "splitter", so much as it is really just a riser card. It breaks out from the proprietary connector on the motherboard to provide three ISA slots. The riser card sits perpendicular to the motherboard, and then the installed ISA cards sit parallel to the motherboard. So, unfortunately, no, it will not go in a standard AT or ATX case. But fortunately, I do actually have a case to put it in which provides both the proper mounts and the appropriate horizontal full-height card slots. Similar system for picture: https://goo.gl/images/cievK4

95DosBox wrote:

Hook up your AT power supply P8/P9, the old 5 PIN DIN mechanical clicky keyboard to PS/2 adapter, PS/2 mouse, video and sound card and power it up.

I am a little bit afraid that the power supply that the board requires is not the standard AT power supply pin-out. It is the same connectors, but... who knows what Compaq did in those days. I am desperately trying to find a manual for the thing.

95DosBox wrote:

I hope that 4MB memory works. Love that Intel 486DX33 classic Intel logo.

Me too. On both counts.

Reply 18059 of 52813, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Yeah, confirmed it is for additional CPU cache.

If you get that CPU cache installed I'd like to see what that looks like. I don't think any of my earlier motherboards had such a thing. Most were mounted in the dipp sockets. I had a little tool to pry them out. I'm guessing the one you need might be some sort of card that fits into it with Dipp sockets on it or maybe they are soldered to the card?

95DosBox wrote:

Also looking at the ISA slots the location where it is not spaced towards the edge near the connectors I wonder what kind of case this will go in as you wouldn't be able to use a standard ATX case to house it

This board is for a "slim" case -- the ISA card you see is not a 3-way "splitter", so much as it is really just a riser card. It breaks out from the proprietary connector on the motherboard to provide three ISA slots. The riser card sits perpendicular to the motherboard, and then the installed ISA cards sit parallel to the motherboard. So, unfortunately, no, it will not go in a standard AT or ATX case. But fortunately, I do actually have a case to put it in which provides both the proper mounts and the appropriate horizontal full-height card slots. Similar system for picture: https://goo.gl/images/cievK4

Judging by the riser card being parallel to the motherboard what does this thing look like in the case? Do you need just the perpendicular ISA splitter for this to work in it? But seeing those are 3 ISA slots you could still use the open style setting on top of a motherboard cardboard box to hook everything up and test. Was the Mouse also proprietary?

95DosBox wrote:

Hook up your AT power supply P8/P9, the old 5 PIN DIN mechanical clicky keyboard to PS/2 adapter, PS/2 mouse, video and sound card and power it up.

I am a little bit afraid that the power supply that the board requires is not the standard AT power supply pin-out. It is the same connectors, but... who knows what Compaq did in those days. I am desperately trying to find a manual for the thing.

Oh it's a Compaq. That does explain a lot of the way it looks. I remember the dread hearing the name back then. I think in some cases compatibles or clones were still regarded being a better choice. Compaq always used their proprietary crap which made it inconvenient. There were a number of those computer companies trying to compete. AST and Everex were popular but I don't think they went proprietary with their equipment to inconvenience the consumer. Televideo used some phone cable type connector for their keyboards so if you lost it you were screwed.

That's going to be a pain if it must use a standard Compaq PSU. I didn't know they would go that far. If you find out it is a standard AT PSU then you could still buy an ATX to AT PSU adapter and get it to work. I'd get a Fanless ATX PSU so it keeps it all silent. I think you can still mount that motherboard in an ATX case if the motherboard holes match. An ISA card might still fit inside the case given the height and you'd just extend the VGA cable and 3.5mm audio connector from inside and route it through one of the rear brackets left open. It wouldn't be the prettiest way to mount it but it would work. You might still have to use some zip ties to secure the ISA cards from dislodging accidentally from the motherboard.