Topic actions

Reply 1820 of 52805, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Haven't received it yet, so it isn't my picture, but behold:

Mitsumi CRMC-LUOO5S 1x CD-ROM. Since I love my SCSI caddy CD-ROM I just had to buy this one as well 😀

haha that is amazing - would love to see a video 😉

Reply 1821 of 52805, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DSC_0346.jpg

Picked up three new PC's, two of them being AT cases.Total price: 90 dollars (also including a 1TB Western Digital drive, 5 1/4 drive, 3 AT keyboards, proper bootable SATA PCI card)

1:
AT case /w PS/2 bracket
Cyrix 6x86 MII 300
Aopen AP5T Socket 7 Baby AT board
256mb RAM
ATI Charger 2MB
1x 3Com PCI ethernet card
1x 3Com ISA ethernet card
12x CD-ROM
Broken Maxtor harddrive

No turbo button on case, but in rather good shape 😀

AT case /w PS/2 bracket
Pentium 200MMX
Asus VX97 Socket 7 motherboard
128MB RAM
Creative 2x CDROM
S3 Virge or S3 Trio
Ethernet card
IBM 15gb drive

Hyundai case with turbo button. This case will be my new 486 PCI build 😀

Midi/full tower ATX case in really nice shape
PIII 600
768MB RAM
Gigabyte Slot 1 motherboard
40GB IDE drive
1TB S-ATA drive
S-ATA PCI card
USB 2.0 PCI card

Only downside is that some drive bay covers are missing 🙁 Anyone know a place to get some other than at recyclers?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1822 of 52805, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Missing drive bay covers are a massive pain in the bum. I had a huge pile up until recently - bought a bulk lot from eBay and added to as I dismantled cases over the years - and I still couldn't ever find the right size / level of yellowing when I needed one. So I chucked them all out.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1823 of 52805, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

Missing drive bay covers are a massive pain in the bum. I had a huge pile up until recently - bought a bulk lot from eBay and added to as I dismantled cases over the years - and I still couldn't ever find the right size / level of yellowing when I needed one. So I chucked them all out.

Is it that tricky? Damn... I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem getting replacements...

Reply 1826 of 52805, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stull wrote:

What this forum needs is an engineer with CAD skills and a 3D printer. Drive bay covers made to order...

Hehe, but how would you match the coloring?

Reply 1829 of 52805, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:
tincup wrote:

easier just to load the empty bays with dummy CD/FDDs 🤣;

haha, yes! I do that

Or, plop a couple IDE mobile racks in there.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1834 of 52805, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to a hamfest yesterday, came home with a decent haul:

-Roland MPU-IPC, with breakout box, $10
-Focus FK-5001 XT/AT switchable keyboard, $2
-Powerbook 180, $5
-Atari 850 interface box, $10

Plus a couple of those odd 13 pin DIN connectors for the Atari ST video port, and a tube of unused 27C256 EPROMs.

Reply 1835 of 52805, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mirror, mirror, whos smallest and slowest of them all?

imsgp2000f.jpg

Smallest PCI card i seen and also slowest - it has no vesa 2 support and 3,8FPS in quake 1 320x240. In windows it is moderate fast, but never seen slower pci card in dos.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1836 of 52805, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few unrelated bits and pieces I've picked up recently:

A 100MB parallel port ZIP drive complete in the box with 9 disk - I did the maths, that's 900MB! I've wanted one of these for a while to make swapping files b/w my retro machines easier. I'd forgotten how slow the transfer rate is, but it works like a charm.
IMG_3271_zps21af728c.jpg

A PCI Weitek Power 9100 VGA card that I found in a dumped socket 7 machine. I don't know what this thing's strong suit is but it definitely isn't DOS games performance, it is the slowest PCI card I've seen. But thanks to it's ridiculous length I did discover what those plastic clips do that can be found over the PC speaker on some AT cases - they accept the plastic thing on the end of these long cards.
IMG_3270_zps47f7d4dc.jpg

A 5.25 to 3.5 bay converter - I'm always on the lookout for these things in the hope that I'll find one which is the right beige to match my 486 case. This one was close, but no cigar.
IMG_3265_zps09b03970.jpg

A socket 370 cooler - someone pointed out that the one I had on my 1Ghz PIII was a bit on the small side. There's a shop in my local CBD (Melbourne) that still has a lot of this era stuff in stock, and I had the choice b/w this one and a huge thing with pipes running all through it and which was so heavy that I thought it might rip the socket clean off the main board. This gold number was more stylish anyway.
IMG_3263_zpscaceed0f.jpg

A slot 1 cooler from the same store, new in the box and might come in handy one day.
IMG_3261_zps0048145f.jpg

Reply 1837 of 52805, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bought this set of 4 simms. Yup! 32 pins. and nope they are not from an Apple, afaik apple and macs had either 30 or 72 pin simms though in odd sizes like 2Mb or so.

So what are they for? a printer? a UNIX workstation?

20130210005017892.jpg

20130210005100260.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1839 of 52805, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Picked up three new PC's, two of them being AT cases.Total price: 90 dollars (also including a 1TB Western Digital drive, 5 1/4 drive, 3 AT keyboards, proper bootable SATA PCI card)

Noticed the 5.25 drive in the background - but what are those other things there, that you didn't pick up ?
(or another of those Finn ads, where some things are already sold?)

- And now, for the real question 😁

"proper bootable"(in DOS ?!) SATA PCI card; make/model, exact chipset name, and production date (mmyy) of the card = ?
Please elaborate...
(or is it just the one that sat in PC nr3, which would make it nigh impossible to find new today)