Reply 19260 of 52885, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
Two systems I grabbed if only for the sweet, sweet baby AT cases. […]
Show full quote

Two systems I grabbed if only for the sweet, sweet baby AT cases.

pic1.png

The first one is a 386 which unfortunately has a leaky battery (we'll see if it's salvageable)

pic2.png
pic3.png

The second one is a 486 with VLB video and IO cards

pic4.png

People taking 486s with VLB and socket 3 only for the case ...
Meanwhile there's me looking for motherboards to put in my nice looking cases 🤣

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19261 of 52885, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
probnot wrote:
Show full quote

pic1.png

The first one is a 386 which unfortunately has a leaky battery (we'll see if it's salvageable)

pic2.png
pic3.png

pic4.png

I need a few AT cases as well. I have 3 or 4 VLB 486 boards. But I am looking for empty cases primarily, although more hardware for my collection is always welcome 😀

Naturally, I want cases that look good and are as functional as the era allowed for.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19262 of 52885, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

77Xhowym.jpg?1

I actually really want version 3.0 as that's the last one that includes the DOS IDE, but I didn't think I could pass up a complete 4.0 set with 4.5 update CD. This version requires at least Win 3.1 (but can still produce DOS executables), which I suppose I can install on my 486 anyway (that way I can play Myst at least, heh 😉 ).

EDIT: bleh, not hardware. My bad. I kind of look at this topic as "bought these retro things today" which is silly I guess. Apologies!
EDIT2: Here, to make it at least about hardware I bought:

IQrsSlhm.jpg?1

Also came in today. I'm not impressed with the D-pad on this though versus the regular "dogbone" style controller! Which sucks, as I think this version of the Gravis Gamepad is much more comfortable. The D-pad is just too "slippery"... far easier to accidentally hit an additional direction (e.g. pressing up and accidentally also hitting left/right at the same time). The original dogbone controller also has that problem but to a much lesser extent.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19263 of 52885, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
probnot wrote:
Show full quote

pic1.png

pic2.png
pic3.png

pic4.png

Oh, I'm definitely excited about the 486. I just didn't have high hopes given the condition (CPU was loose and rattling around, RAM was removed for...troubleshooting?)

Reply 19264 of 52885, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Fuyu 20V0 Rev S3D motherboard today, complete with 386DX@33, 387 and 4 megs of SIMM30 RAM

IMG_4331.JPG
Filename
IMG_4331.JPG
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This would probably make for a awesome 386 build — a moderately modern board, old enough to have proper sockets for CPUs (as opposed to a soldered AMD 386DX40 I usually see on 386 boards in my area), but new enough to be small, have SIMM support and cache.

Unfortunately, it's in very bad shape. One of the ISA slots is cracked in two halves:

IMG_4332.JPG
Filename
IMG_4332.JPG
File size
2.02 MiB
Views
File license

The barrel battery has leaked all over:

IMG_4333.JPG
Filename
IMG_4333.JPG
File size
2.87 MiB
Views
File license

Some acid actually got through the board:

IMG_4334.JPG
Filename
IMG_4334.JPG
File size
2 MiB
Views
File license

Still, the board cost me 170 RUB (3 USD) — not bad for a CPU, an FPU, some RAM and some cache chips. Really hope to find a similar board later.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 19265 of 52885, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
Deksor wrote:
probnot wrote:
Show full quote

pic1.png

pic2.png
pic3.png

pic4.png

Oh, I'm definitely excited about the 486. I just didn't have high hopes given the condition (CPU was loose and rattling around, RAM was removed for...troubleshooting?)

Hey, if the 386 is in your way, I can definitely take it off your hands!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19266 of 52885, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, if the 386 is in your way, I can definitely take it off your hands!

I'm debating whether to keep this one, or the SX-20. This is one slightly faster, but only has 4 simm slots, the SX-20 has 8 slots.

Reply 19267 of 52885, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received a box of goodies today... that I bought.

The better items are:
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB AGP
ATI FireGL x1 128MB AGP
ATI 9600 XT 128MB AGP
Nvidia FX 5500 128MB PCI (64-bit version I think so not that great).

And for some stuff that was given to me.
A Gigabyte AM3+ board.. may or may not work
A mix of IDE CD, CDRW, and DVD drives
2x Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES monitors
1x Mitsubishi XC-1410C CGA/EGA monitor... don't even have anything I can hook this up to

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19268 of 52885, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gered wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/77Xhowym.jpg?1 […]
Show full quote

77Xhowym.jpg?1

I actually really want version 3.0 as that's the last one that includes the DOS IDE, but I didn't think I could pass up a complete 4.0 set with 4.5 update CD. This version requires at least Win 3.1 (but can still produce DOS executables), which I suppose I can install on my 486 anyway (that way I can play Myst at least, heh 😉 ).

Does Myst require Borland? Perhaps a run time component or something? I wouldn't know, never touched the said game to begin with.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19269 of 52885, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Gered wrote:

Does Myst require Borland? Perhaps a run time component or something? I wouldn't know, never touched the said game to begin with.

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I was mulling over having to install Windows 3.1 on my 486 to make use of the Borland stuff I bought which I wasn't originally intending on doing. However, I figure being "forced" to install Windows 3.1 isn't the end of the world, since it means I can play Myst then (doesn't require Borland, but does need Win3.1 of course 😀 ).

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19270 of 52885, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

<snip>

1x Mitsubishi XC-1410C CGA/EGA monitor... don't even have anything I can hook this up to

Wow that's that TFT CGA/EGA monitor right?

1982 to 2001

Reply 19271 of 52885, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gered wrote:
Gered wrote:

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I was mulling over having to install Windows 3.1 on my 486 to make use of the Borland stuff I bought which I wasn't originally intending on doing. However, I figure being "forced" to install Windows 3.1 isn't the end of the world, since it means I can play Myst then (doesn't require Borland, but does need Win3.1 of course 😀 ).

Ah, I see. Installing Windows 3.1 isn't the end of the day, you know, because you can always boot to DOS without problem.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19272 of 52885, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

<snip>

Wow that's that TFT CGA/EGA monitor right?

It is a CRT.

I see there are "replacement" monitors for sale online that are LCD.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19273 of 52885, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I see. Installing Windows 3.1 isn't the end of the day, you know, because you can always boot to DOS without problem.

For sure, heh. I'm just being super picky about it for no good reason. 😀

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19274 of 52885, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
The test results are in... The good: they work The bad: two of them are PC800/40, and two of them are PC800/45 The ugly: they we […]
Show full quote

The test results are in...
The good: they work
The bad: two of them are PC800/40, and two of them are PC800/45
The ugly: they were advertised as PC1066 modules on the ebay listing

I hope you didn't buy them for a fistful of dollars..

A fistful of quarters, maybe... 🤣
Still, I am negotiating a return or refund from the seller.

I opened a case, and the seller refused to accept the return, and the seller asked ebay for help, and ebay helped the seller.
I wonder if ebay always sides with whoever asks them for help first...

Reply 19275 of 52885, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:

I opened a case, and the seller refused to accept the return, and the seller asked ebay for help, and ebay helped the seller.
I wonder if ebay always sides with whoever asks them for help first...

And that right there is a great case to leave negative feedback and if you paid with a credit card, do a chargeback.. or at least try going directly through Paypal first.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19276 of 52885, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

And that right there is a great case to leave negative feedback and if you paid with a credit card, do a chargeback.. or at least try going directly through Paypal first.

Thanks for the tip! I thought paypal would just side with ebay because they are in the same family.

Reply 19277 of 52885, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something special today — got a free Soviet 8-bit home computer, «Микроша» (Mikrosha) from 1987:

2017-09-29 21.56.43.jpg
Filename
2017-09-29 21.56.43.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license

1.77 MHz CPU, 32KB RAM. Not sure what kind of screen needs a 5-pin DIN connector, though. Basically, everything (power, tape recorder, screen) uses the same kind of cable on this machine.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 19278 of 52885, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

Something special today — got a free Soviet 8-bit home computer, «Микроша» (Mikrosha) from 1987:

2017-09-29 21.56.43.jpg

1.77 MHz CPU, 32KB RAM. Not sure what kind of screen needs a 5-pin DIN connector, though. Basically, everything (power, tape recorder, screen) uses the same kind of cable on this machine.

The 5-pin DIN could simply be a Composite Video output, which you could connect to a TV with a suitable adapter.

Reply 19279 of 52885, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

Got a Fuyu 20V0 Rev S3D motherboard today, complete with 386DX@33, 387 and 4 megs of SIMM30 RAM. Really hope to find a similar board later.

Could you test and post the results over on the Forex thread?

FOREX 386 motherboard thread

Thanks

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks