Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19760 of 52818, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Nice board! You do need the sound drivers, but they're pretty painless to get set up.

Many thanks, this will be useful! I wonder if I should stick to the VIA SB emulation or just stick a spare AWE64 Value I have in there for CQM/MIDI. How good is this chipset's OPL3 emulation I wonder?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19761 of 52818, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

or just stick a spare AWE64 Value I have in there for CQM/MIDI. How good is this chipset's OPL3 emulation I wonder?

The AWE64 delivers in my mind a really good emulation
It is still inferiour to the real deal. Yet it delivers really good results for the price. If I had no real OPL chip on any soundcard or cards with OPL chips were too expensive, I would go for the AWE64.

Anyway.... You have one, and it is a good sound solution.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19762 of 52818, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

The AWE64 delivers in my mind a really good emulation
It is still inferiour to the real deal. Yet it delivers really good results for the price. If I had no real OPL chip on any soundcard or cards with OPL chips were too expensive, I would go for the AWE64.

Anyway.... You have one, and it is a good sound solution.

I also have a CT2890 with real OPL3 but they have buggy MIDI. I have a YMF719 but it's in another PC. I have an ES1898 but that's ESFM.

Also, I got a very good deal on a very strange looking mystery computer:

2bdcaf1d8fd402c18ddbac56a1d33550.jpeg

Couldn't resist it.. Any bets on what we have inside?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-10-27, 11:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19763 of 52818, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) I actually really like the sound of ESFM.
2) my guess would be an small AT board with either a socket 5 or early socket 7 Pentium. No idea on the rest, it looks like it might have seen some upgrades at some point.

Reply 19764 of 52818, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Seeing how slow it is, I think it will actually slow down your 286. It's already slowing down my 386SX, so I think the same will happen to a 286

I don't think anyone's running a 286 for speed are they? I had to slow my 16MHz 286 down by adding a wait state for it to play the older DOS games I intended to play on it, so having a slow VGA card doesn't strike me as a disadvantage.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 19765 of 52818, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LHN91 wrote:

1) I actually really like the sound of ESFM.
2) my guess would be an small AT board with either a socket 5 or early socket 7 Pentium. No idea on the rest, it looks like it might have seen some upgrades at some point.

I actually think ESFM sounds better than CQM.. But if I am going to use just an emulated OPL I may use the onboard anyway.

Fingers crossed for a Super Socket 7 😀

Reply 19766 of 52818, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Non-MMX Pentium running at 0MHz? 🤣

Reply 19768 of 52818, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Seeing how slow it is, I think it will actually slow down your 286. It's already slowing down my 386SX, so I think the same will happen to a 286

I don't think anyone's running a 286 for speed are they? I had to slow my 16MHz 286 down by adding a wait state for it to play the older DOS games I intended to play on it, so having a slow VGA card doesn't strike me as a disadvantage.

That's for sure ... actually for nowadays, back then, I guess some enthusiasts tried to get the best scores out of their 286 so they wouldn't need to switch to a newer platform.

The same can be said with any retro computer in fact. None of our retro computers are fast, but trying to get the best score out of them isn't totally irrelevant either. That was just for his information, I never said that he should not put it in his 286 at all.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19769 of 52818, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Not computer related but quite retro. I got a Stanton Dynaphase 60 headset. The monsters of headphones.
The monster uses woofer tweeter speaker setup.

Reply 19770 of 52818, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
The Continuum Transfunctioner? http://cdn07.dayviews.com/41/_u1/_u1/_u1/_u0/_u8/u111082/45546_1220391597/Jesse_Look_dude_It_s_th […]
Show full quote

The Continuum Transfunctioner?
Jesse_Look_dude_It_s_those_two_totally_gay_Nordic_dudes_at_10_o_clock_We_are_the_keepers_of_the.jpg

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😊

Reply 19772 of 52818, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
badmojo wrote:
Deksor wrote:

That's for sure ... actually for nowadays, back then, I guess some enthusiasts tried to get the best scores out of their 286 so they wouldn't need to switch to a newer platform.

The same can be said with any retro computer in fact. None of our retro computers are fast, but trying to get the best score out of them isn't totally irrelevant either. That was just for his information, I never said that he should not put it in his 286 at all.

I had an Oak Technology VGA card in my 286 system back in the day. In addition to building it to be a slower system meant to reach down and grab slower speeds, it would also be a period grab, nostalgia rebuild.

On the subject though, I question the importance of VGA speed for running DOS games that are executable on a 286. I played Wolfenstein 3-D on mine back in the day. I think Star Trek 25th anniversary and Out of this World (Another World) were the last two games I loaded on it prior to getting a 386?

It would be an interesting benchmark/experiment to see how much of a difference faster VGA speed would make on a 286.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 19773 of 52818, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need to fix my new 286 first ... unfortunately, I think that won't come anytime soon, I'd rather buy an oscilloscope first to check for signals (it would be useful to fix my XT as well) but I don't have the money for that ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19774 of 52818, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

... trying to get the best score out of them isn't totally irrelevant either. That was just for his information, I never said that he should not put it in his 286 at all.

Point taken - everyone has different objectives, and I agree that a fast VGA card does make a difference even with a 286. I recall Stunts being almost playable with a Tseng ET4000 based card, but not so much with the Ahead based card I had originally in my 286.

Reply 19775 of 52818, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a subject of slow/fast vga card on a 286 I've done some benchmarks a while ago. I tested only Trident 8900D and Tseng ET4000AX on 286-20. In 3Dbench 1.0 Trident score was 7.1 while Tseng's was 7.8. That's a 10% increase. With even slower vga card like some OAK or Chips difference would be even greater.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19776 of 52818, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if I rebuild the 286, I suppose I could do some benchmarking on it. I have a Tseng ET4000AX in addition to that Oak card. I imagine those two alone should cover quite the spread. Specific games to try out (Stunts, for instance) are certainly welcome. 286 love seems to have increased lately on Vogons. Maybe it is time to at least bust out the mobo and get a bench setup and start a new 286 thread.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 19777 of 52818, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

intel 387 sx coprocessor

Yay, now you can draw fractals and use the copro enhanced mode of Moraff's Entrap, and, and, and, um have bragging rights.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19778 of 52818, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Non-MMX Pentium running at 0MHz? 🤣

A super NEXGEN prototype CPU that was never released, its not running at 0 but at infinity and the other 0 loop on the display has burned out. 😉

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19779 of 52818, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

On a subject of slow/fast vga card on a 286 I've done some benchmarks a while ago. I tested only Trident 8900D and Tseng ET4000AX on 286-20. In 3Dbench 1.0 Trident score was 7.1 while Tseng's was 7.8. That's a 10% increase. With even slower vga card like some OAK or Chips difference would be even greater.

That reminds me, I did some 286 benchmarking a while back - 6.4 in 3dbench apparently. I was using an ET4000AX at that time but only have a 16MHz machine. Even at 16MHz it's quite the hotrod, and as I mentioned earlier I needed to de-turbo it and add a wait state to get some older games running correctly.